PDA

View Full Version : Mages Disjunction versus Shadow Adept Anti Dispel?

silverwolfer
2013-01-08, 07:13 PM
So this is in theory, a level 20 shadow adept versus a level 20 caster disjunction. I do not have the math in front of me so I can't exactly say what is what, but how would the two face off on each other, and who would likely to come ahead, when a shadow dept has a bonus against his spells not being dispelled?

Acanous
2013-01-08, 07:15 PM
Disjunction doesn't roll a check to dispel- things just ARE dispelled. The only exceptions are Artifacts and Anti-Magic fields. Both are % based.

So the Disjunction dispels the effect.

silverwolfer
2013-01-08, 07:28 PM
Hmm...does spellblade enhancement affect it at all?

Aracor
2013-01-08, 10:18 PM
Hmm...does spellblade enhancement affect it at all?

No, because disjunction doesn't target.

silverwolfer
2013-01-08, 10:19 PM
huffs...how do you beat it then

Snowbluff
2013-01-08, 10:21 PM
Curling up in the fetal position and crying will do it.

There is a reason not many use the spell without asking the DM first.

kardar233
2013-01-08, 10:23 PM
If I'm in a scenario where Disjunctions get thrown around on a regular basis, I'll play an Initiate of Mystra and walk around with a couple dozen Persisted Antimagic Fields.

Seriously. Disjunction really shouldn't be used. The only way to deal with it is to escalate.

Lapak
2013-01-08, 10:24 PM
huffs...how do you beat it thenYou can Counterspell it.

That's... pretty close to the end of your options, without getting pretty extreme.

tyckspoon
2013-01-08, 10:28 PM
Disjunction? You don't, mostly. That's the *point*. It's the nuclear option of dispels. The most effective (and not requiring a specific counterspelling build to work well) response to it I can think of would be a Ring of Spell Battle, which lets you redirect a spell 1/day, allowing you to drop that Disjunction back on top of its caster and/or his own allies.

Aracor
2013-01-08, 10:37 PM
As others have mentioned, counterspelling it will do it.

The better option (IF you can manage to talk your DM into it) is the old ring of greater counterspells in the Arms and Equipment Guide:

Greater Counterspelling: This seems to be a ring of spell storing upon first examination. However, while it allows a single spell of 1st through 9th level to be cast into it, that spell cannot be cast out of it again. Instead, should that spell ever be cast upon the wearer, or within 90 feet of the wearer (if the wearer retains line of sight to the caster), the spell is immediately countered, as a counterspell action, requiring no action (or even knowledge) on the wearer’s part. Once so used, the spell cast into the ring is gone. A new spell (or the same one as before) may be placed in it again.

Caster Level:18th; Prerequisites:Forge Ring, spell turning, wish; Market Price:16,000 gp

kardar233
2013-01-08, 10:38 PM
The only other real option is to get out of the way. A Contingent Celerity or some kind of movement effect like Dimension Door could help. Just watch out; they might have Sudden Quicken. :smalleek:

Battleship789
2013-01-08, 11:20 PM
If I'm in a scenario where Disjunctions get thrown around on a regular basis, I'll play an Initiate of Mystra and walk around with a couple dozen Persisted Antimagic Fields.

Seriously. Disjunction really shouldn't be used. The only way to deal with it is to escalate.

Even that doesn't work very well as one would have to be epic to cast multiple Persisted AMFs with IoM because the AMF suppresses supernatural abilities: DMM, any Incantatrix ability or the Dweomerkeeper's Cloak of Mysteries cannot be used because IoM does not affect SNAs and I'm not sure if it possible to reduce the level of a Divine Persisted AMF to 9th or lower without SNAs.

The first AMF can be Persisted via one of the above but the rest will have to be Extended via a Metamagic reducer that isn't a SNA. And if Sculpt Spell or Extraordinary Spell Aim is used, the Disjunction just needs to place the center of the burst in the AMF's caster's square and it will hit the caster normally. (The Disjunction is not suppressed because it activates in the caster's square which is not affected by the AMF.)

demigodus
2013-01-08, 11:24 PM
You just need something as an immediate action that breaks line of effect.

Say, having a contingency set up so that a wall of stone is created between you and the enemy if you utter a word (or cast some level 1 immediate action spell).

Otherwise, you need to get out of the way. Or interrupt the casting of it.

Red Rubber Band
2013-01-09, 02:15 AM
Bear with me, I'm working off a half remembered thread when I wasn't 100% awake.

Someone suggested having an Unseen Servant/Familiar following you around with a readied action. This readied action would be in case of someone casting Disjunction at you and the action would be a word/sound/movement that caused your wizard hat to grow in size (forget how he did it, some magic effect/spell) and cover you. This broke line of sight. The hat itself was hit, but all your stuff survived.

demigodus
2013-01-09, 02:23 AM
Ah, that would be a cone shaped metal hat (empty inside), that had shrink item cast on it. So the item is originally a cone big enough to fit you, shrunk to a hat. The key word breaks the spell, causing the hat to instantly return to normal size.

The metal cone blocks line of effect, hence safety.

TuggyNE
2013-01-09, 02:43 AM
Someone suggested having an Unseen Servant/Familiar following you around with a readied action. This readied action would be in case of someone casting Disjunction at you and the action would be a word/sound/movement that caused your wizard hat to grow in size (forget how he did it, some magic effect/spell) and cover you. This broke line of sight. The hat itself was hit, but all your stuff survived.

This is also useful for AMFs and the like, although it triggers itself automatically in that case.

docnessuno
2013-01-09, 06:24 AM
Disjunction is the reason my high-level spellcasters always pack 2 rings of spell battle.

And in mid-high OP high level games, casting it once in a while and being prepared to eat it is pretty much a requirement (among other things it's the only reliable way to handle a DMM persist CoDzilla).

Xar Zarath
2013-01-09, 07:09 AM
In terms of gaming, the disjunction should probably win, however if in novel terms, a rift in the world is open and you need an old man to help you close it.