PDA

View Full Version : A Non-Magic Alchemist!

koboldish
2013-01-08, 07:59 PM
I love wizards! I hate wizards! (The class not the company). My favorite part of the class is the ability to create alchemetical items. I want to make a character based off of that. I'm thinking like a gnome mad-scientist type character like the gnomes in the Dragonlance series. The catch: I don't want the character to be a spellcaster. They have a very annoying tendancy to break the game. Are there any ways to use craft: alchemy without being a spellcaster (or a factotum, if that's possible). I like splash weapons and things like weapon capsules. Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the block of text.

Juntao112
2013-01-08, 08:02 PM
How good is your organic chemistry?

thethird
2013-01-08, 08:05 PM
By RAW, no, you cannot, because:

To make an item using Craft (alchemy), you must have alchemical equipment and be a spellcaster.

linky (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm)

Although Artificer from the Eberron Campaign Setting doesn't exactly cast spells and can make alchemic items. If you are interested something really similar is being discused here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266961)

koboldish
2013-01-08, 08:06 PM
How about the Magical Training feat from PGtF?

Psyren
2013-01-08, 08:40 PM
Why not start with the PF Alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist), and then tweak it so it's less magical? That would give you a mundane class that can nevertheless keep up with most spellcasters, as well as use its brain.

I would do some or all of the following:

1) Remove some of the more magical extracts (mostly, everything above 4th level - no Magic Jar, no Shadow Walk etc.)

2) Extracts can only ever affect the drinker - group spells are not possible.

3) All bombs, mutagens and extracts are usable by anyone, but gain drawbacks like a chance to backfire or even not work. (Skill at Craft: Alchemy lowers or negates this chance.) Mutagens in particular are extremely dangerous for non-alchemists.

4) All supernatural abilities become extraordinary (cannot be dispelled or suppressed.) However, using bombs, consuming extracts and consuming mutagens provoke AoO.

koboldish
2013-01-08, 08:55 PM
That sounds great, but unfortuneately, my DM is not a big fan of homebrew. I'm mostly looking for ways to boost my skill check to a really high level. Only if the Magical Training feat works for craft alchemy though.

Cambrian
2013-01-08, 09:08 PM
That sounds great, but unfortuneately, my DM is not a big fan of homebrew. I'm mostly looking for ways to boost my skill check to a really high level. Only if the Magical Training feat works for craft alchemy though.
Honestly the PF alchemist is very good but not broken like a wizard. They are 6 level casters with multiple and highly varied build options. However there spells are far more restricted than wizards. I'd just use the PF SRD and look at the class and archetypes to see if it will fit your needs as is with a non-homebrew import (might need a slight nerf since PF chars are more powerful).

[edit: fixing touch screen typo's]

Psyren
2013-01-08, 09:19 PM

It's more refluffing than homebrew really. My suggestions were to nerf it down to more mundane levels but you could just play the class as-is and ignore any references to magic in the flavor text, and get what you want.

silverwolfer
2013-01-09, 01:04 AM
druid fusions

Diovid
2013-01-09, 03:15 AM
One option is to go with a Alchemical item thrower. Take feats such as Point Blank Shot, Grenadier (PHB II), Mad Alchemist (PHB II) and Shaped Splash (Races of Eberron). Sneak Attack would help with such a build.

Another option would be to make a trapper. Take the Combat Trapsmith prc (Complete Scoundrel) which has several options to create Alchemical traps. This prc combines well with the Trapsmith prc (Dungeonscape), although the Trapsmith gains some minor spellcasting.

Finally you could focus on poisons. I think there's a note in Complete Adventurer about using craft (alchemy) to craft poisons with a -4 penalty or something. Otherwise you could just use the craft (poison) skill, which doesn't require being a spellcaster. Too bad the Brilliant Gameologists / Minmax forums are down, otherwise I would've linked the poison handbook.

In any case though you'll need some way to cast a few spells.

Edit:
If you're giving up on creating a non-magical alchemist, try something like Artificer 5 / Alchemist Savant 5 / Master Alchemist 10. Alchemist Savant is from Magic of Eberron and Master Alchemist is from Magic of Faerun.

koboldish
2013-01-09, 04:10 PM
Do gnomes get craft(alchemy) because they have spell like abilities? The skill description in the players handbook just says "spellcaster".

Diovid
2013-01-10, 03:40 AM
Do gnomes get craft(alchemy) because they have spell like abilities? The skill description in the players handbook just says "spellcaster".
I don't think there is any RAW definition of what a spellcaster is. I'd think that RAI you have to be able to cast spells, not just be able to use spell-like abilities but I'm not sure. When in doubt, ask your DM.

thethird
2013-01-10, 04:51 AM

Spellcaster: A character capable of casting spells. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_spellcaster&alpha=)

Spell-like ability:they are not spells (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_spelllikeability&alpha=)

So, by RAW, NO, but if you want to, ask your DM.