PDA

View Full Version : Use one skill for another [3.5]

Laserlight
2013-01-08, 09:54 PM
I'll be getting my first level of warblade pretty soon, and some of the Diamond Mind maneuvers look pretty good...except that they take Concentration skill.

I have decent Balance, Bluff, Climb, Diplomacy, Hide, Move Silently, Tumble...but I don't have Concentration, nor any reason to get it except for Diamond Mind, and 4+INT skill points isn't a lot.

Is there a way to use some other skill in lieu of Concentration? I've gone through several "X for Y" posts but haven't seen one that addressed substituting skills.

Feralventas
2013-01-08, 10:38 PM
There's a feat in Complete Mage that allows you to use a Perform check to cast defensively rather than using concentration. It states that this is Only for a couple purposes, but you could ask your DM about it.

kardar233
2013-01-08, 10:41 PM
If you can get a Continuous item of Undersong, you can use Perform instead of Concentration. This isn't all that great unless you use Perform: Weapon Drill from Complete Warrior.

I'm pretty sure that's the only replacement option, and it's not really a help, as it takes an item and you need a different, generally useless other skill instead.

Concentration might not do anything else for you, but the stuff you can use it for in Diamond Mind is amazing. Spring for it anyway.

Laserlight
2013-01-09, 07:26 PM
If you can get a Continuous item of Undersong, you can use Perform instead of Concentration. This isn't all that great unless you use Perform: Weapon Drill from Complete Warrior.

As it happens, I have recently gotten a level in Bard and a few points in Perform, so this would be perfect -- Kudos!

Lonely Tylenol
2013-01-09, 07:38 PM
As it happens, I have recently gotten a level in Bard and a few points in Perform, so this would be perfect -- Kudos!

In that case, see if you can change your Perform ranks into Weapon Drill anyway, because in addition to gaining tons of stackable bonuses from feats (+2 each for Combat Expertise, Greater Weapon Focus, Quick Draw, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus, and Whirlwind Attack), and your Base Attack bonus (1/2 your BAB as a circumstance bonus), combined with, say, Action Before Thought, you would be able to cut a lightning bolt in half with your sword. :smallbiggrin:

Laserlight
2013-01-09, 08:22 PM
In that case, see if you can change your Perform ranks into Weapon Drill anyway, because ... you would be able to cut a lightning bolt in half with your sword. :smallbiggrin:

Given that my character is a swashbuckler...that would be Full of Win :smallbiggrin: