PDA

View Full Version : How long to prepare wizard spells

chomskola
2013-01-08, 10:32 PM
So a wizard needs 8 hours of sleep..and then an hour to prepare spells. But the spell limit is 'daily' does this mean right thinking players ought to take '24 hours rest' between encounters?? I mean encounters in the sense of multiple encounters with a resting period in between(not every individual encounter entry in an adventure)

MesiDoomstalker
2013-01-09, 01:06 AM
I think your talking yourself in circles here. After the requisite 8 hours of rest, a Wizard can start prepping spells again. When the prep spells for that 1 hour, they lose all previously prepared spells (cast or not) and gain the new selection they chose. I'm not positive when the loss of previous spells happen, but I'd wager it be at the end when you gain the new ones so there is no gap where you are completely spell-less.

Xar Zarath
2013-01-09, 07:13 AM
I dont think you lose the spells you haven't cast yet, though im pretty sure you get to replace those already cast.

Kumori
2013-01-09, 07:29 AM
The "daily" spell limit is not actually "daily". After a Wizard casts a spell, he can prepare another spell in the slot a mere 8 hours later, plus the time needed to prepare the spell, of course.

Recent Casting Limit/Rest Interruptions

If a wizard has cast spells recently, the drain on her resources reduces her capacity to prepare new spells. When she prepares spells for the coming day, all the spells she has cast within the last 8 hours count against her daily limit.

I dont think you lose the spells you haven't cast yet, though im pretty sure you get to replace those already cast.

You're right, you don't lose the spells. You can choose to lose them, but it isn't forced upon you.

Prepared Spell Retention

Once a wizard prepares a spell, it remains in her mind as a nearly cast spell until she uses the prescribed components to complete and trigger it or until she abandons it. Certain other events, such as the effects of magic items or special attacks from monsters, can wipe a prepared spell from a character’s mind.

chomskola
2013-01-09, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE=Kumori;14498714]The "daily" spell limit is not actually "daily". After a Wizard casts a spell, he can prepare another spell in the slot a mere 8 hours later, plus the time needed to prepare the spell, of course.

The logic being once you go over 8 hours the spell cast no longer counts against your daily limit????????

Pandiano
2013-01-09, 09:51 AM
I think it depends on the DM. In my games the daily allotment is daily. Also....have you ever tried to sleep 8hours straight peacefully after a good nights rest and some activity afterwards? Never gonna happen. Narcoleptic wizard phenomenon.
Also many players have to learn to restrain their usage of spells to last through the day.