PDA

View Full Version : The Path to the Throne

Artman77
2013-01-09, 01:11 AM
Link to the OOC thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14498044#post14498044)

The year of the unicorn has passed, and the year of the dragon has begun...

It is a year rife with political turmoil as the greatest wizards of the land vie for power and position in an epic struggle for the throne. The Holy Souelian Empire is holy no longer. The empire has turned its back on the gods, and he who would be emperor claims the throne by arcane right. The oil that anoints his head a mere formality of a bygone era.

But such power breeds both competition and corruption. Wizards claim to be gods. Great and wonderful minds are snuffed out daily as men are murdered in their sleep. Simpletons can even cast spells now through some abominable process, instead of having to decipher arcane texts and prepare them in their minds. Competition for power is fierce, the ambitious pushing the boundaries of the dark arts, necromancy, and portals to the realms beyond. Some harvest arcane catalysts and push their minds to the edge of madness in their attempts to wield power supreme.

"Royal" families still cling to the nobility once granted to them by blood, using all of their resources to develop or ally themselves with schools of magic, training camps, and arcane libraries. Outside the castle walls, the privilege of blood means everything. Inside those walls however, those privileges pale in comparison to an alliance with a powerful family, or better yet being a master of the arcane arts.

--------------------

It is a cold gray morning in Timanos, and the newly cobbled streets bustle with activity as the old trade city comes to life. Shadows cast by scarlet hoods cover the faces of half a dozen men as they congregate around a large oak table in a dimly lit hall.

"Are we agreed?" says one.
"Aye." reply the rest in unison.
"So be it." says the first. He rises from the table and reaching behind him, produces a small lead box. He sets in the center of the table and lifts the lid, revealing a black velvet lining and several sliver rings. Each man slowly rises from his chair, stretches out his hand and chooses a ring from the box. After putting them on, they stand silently and wait. The cold winds howl as they push against the stained glass windows. A church bell rings in the distance.

The hooded figures look at one another. Finally one of them speaks;
"All is in order. You know what is expected of you. Gentlemen?" he whispers, placing his fingertips on the polished tabletop and leaning forward, "It is time."

dantiesilva
2013-01-09, 10:34 AM
I had just got done giving out orders for the day, master had given me time to go enjoy the bitter cold that so many feared in my homeland. But I welcomed it, as if it were a warm fireplace. As the chilled wind whipped around my cloak that depicted dragons and was made of the finest materials in this part of the empire, both warm and strong was my cloak, and my staff that signified my place in this world crunched underneath the new days snow I made my way to the library.

Just this day my master had told me of the young woman I had meet at a social party only months ago and how here fiefdom was upholding. It seemed I had been wise to extend the olive branch to her and I suspected that soon it would be time to hold a ball just for her. He had also filled me in on the ruler of the north. The family that claimed to have only draconinc blood mixed in with their own pure blood. It seemed though that things were changing. From what Arytekothar had told me their was someone trying to cohort one of the family members that had no draconic blood in his being. A Pity really. Weakening the bloodline by allowing an outsider into their close knit clan. Then again it seemed quite a bit had changed ever since the previous head of the family had died. Only a few time had I meet any of the family, but those few times I showed my respect for the fact that they ruled the area I livid in, and had in ways much in which I wanted.

And so as I walked the snow covered path to the library that the town possessed out of the corner of my eye I noticed a figure in red, such an odd color in these parts of the world. It was warm, and pasionit. The opposite of myself and so I choose to investigate. As I get closer I watch the man raise his hand, Immediately I get ready to launch a counter spell against him, but am even more confused as he merely beckons me deeper into the alley. Not sure if this was someone knew to the city or one of my servants inside the city I choose to follow him deeper into the alley, until all that could be heard of what lay beyond the alley was the wind blowing and billowing. Beckoning for me to join it. Why have you called me, Lord Loss into an alley? Speak now and mind your tongue or else you lose it. I say to the man, who still has not revealed his face to me.

[roll0] Intimidate

That is when the man begins t speak to me, asking me to join his organization. How about you tell me something else? Who do you expect me to believe you have more power then my draconic bloodline? And with that I cast a spell master had taught me only days ago. It was simple enough, and as I saw the dragon go shooting out of my wand and drop fine silver dust over the mans body I hoped it worked. I intended on having a chat with this man with my master present. No one came here asking me to join an organization in a back alley, and so blatantly tried to lie to me telling me that they knew magic even the dragons did not.

Spell cast is sleep DC is 17

Artman77
2013-01-09, 02:03 PM
The man appears not to be phased by your threatening tone.
"The dragons' power is vast, it is true, but times are changing. The empire pulls crystals out of the ground that allow men to do things you cannot imagine."
He takes a sudden step back as the tiny dragon flies around him. His head droops slightly, and then he collapses in heap into the snowbank lining the left side of the alleyway.

tonberryking
2013-01-09, 04:13 PM
"What, pray tell, would a druid want with a book of spells?"

Juno was not pleased at having her afternoon sequestering interrupted. Found alone in the woods, kept company only by her dark brown destrier with black socks and a coal mane, it's a wonder she didn't just outright attack the mysterious courier. Her hand still rests on the pommel of a curved sword over her shoulder, and she has yet to pull back the lincoln green hood from her visage. Yet, oddly, there was a calm facade to her question, tinged with a regal command expecting elaborations and answers.

Clearly, the druidess has had false promises and lies offered to her in the past, from vultures and opportunists of the worst kind (nobility) and she is scarcely hesitant to find this particular off no less suspicious.

But she's still willing to hear it out...

Sort of.
Sense motive to glean if there's a more sinister aspect to this, if the messenger's looking at a big, neon sign that says PAWN over Juno's head, so to speak: [roll0]

dantiesilva
2013-01-09, 06:19 PM
Weak fool, speaking of power when he can not even handle a spell I have just learned. I say to myself as I hit the man with my staff, making sure my spell took its full effect on him and made him fall asleep. Satisfied after a few pokes I walk out into the main road and call to one of the guards standing at his post. Get over here and handcuff this man, then I want you to follow me to my home. I say, Lord Loss, one of the most powerful people in the north, and my demands are meet with little force as the guard quickly obeys my command and so we all head to my house.

After the five minute walk in the cold brisk air we had finally arrived at my family estate. I was still not sure on whether to trust someone so weak, but master would know if he would make a good pawn or not. And so as I walked through the front door early from my walk my family was caught of guard, that is until they see the slumbering body being dragged behind. Leave the body their I will take care of it from here. I say to the guard and he quickly puts the body down and leaves, not wanting to be the next person to end up like the man he was carrying now. Manacles still on him I search his body, taking anything that looks like it holds any kind of power off of him until all that is left is the clothes on his back that he showed up in. Content I slap him in the face. Wake up you worthless piece of trash. You wanted an audience you got one, and I am not carrying you. Try anything funny, and I will make sure you live to regret it. Got it?

[roll0] intimidate
[roll1] Search

Slowly we make our way down to my master Arytekothar and once their I call out to him. Master we have company. It says that it has powers of magic that none other know about.and with that I wait for my master to come. While waiting I attach the manacles to a chain in the floor and then begin looking at the items I have found on him, inspecting to see if any hold magic in them.

Artman77
2013-01-10, 12:45 AM
Juno Woodblade
"Ah, my apologies," he responds warmly, pulling back his hood to reveal a young and handsome face, golden locks of hair falling just below his ears. "Of course, you wouldn't be interested in a book for yourself, but for a friend perhaps?"
His thick eyebrows raise hopefully, and he flashes a smile of bright white teeth.

Only transmuters, or people rich enough to hire a transmuter, have smiles like that.

"Uh, look--" he begins again, looking around as if expecting to see someone else. "Let's try this again. My name is James. Some friends and I recruiting nobles--that have potential but would otherwise fall through the cracks--to form an alliance," His mouth hangs open for a moment as if to say something else, but he catches himself. "You and your house," he continues, "will not last long without aid. Which is a shame, really, considering your great history and contributions to the land in which you reside. Not only that, but the resources you have at your disposal are essential, but currently undervalued, making it impossible to use them to their full potential in the short term." He looks over his shoulder, then back to you and your hand resting on the handle of your sword. "I wish I could tell you more but I cannot; I am sworn to secrecy."

He slowly steps forward, keeping a cautious eye on your mount. Slowly drawing a small red crystal from beneath his cloak, he stretches out his hand, offering it to you. You look at the crystal in his black gloved hand. The sunlight glints through it like a ruby. A teleportation stone. "If you wish to accept our offer, just think 'Yes' and crush this in your hand. You have until sundown."

Lord Loss
His pockets turn up nothing...

Before long a handsome man with striking features and jet black hair strides into the room, hands clasped behind his back, his blue silk robes billowing out behind him as a cold draft makes it's way through the cave. Arytekothar, even in his human form is a fierce and terrible presence to behold.
"Mortal! What, pray tell, is the reason of your presence here?" His red eyes smolder as he nears the man, and suddenly an irritated look spreads across Arytekothar's face. "Are you not afraid?" he asks quietly.
The man looks up from beneath his scarlet hood and smiles.
"I am not."
"Many of my colleagues would be, unfortunately, which is why I've come to extend the invitation to this mortal to be your proxy. We would like to form an alliance to conquer the empire from within. You know as well as I that His Grace will not win the tournament honestly, so honest methods of winning the throne are pointless. I doubt His Grace even lives that long."
"This intrigues me." He turns to you. "Loss! Was the money spent on your education wasted? This is not a man but a figment!" He turns back to the cloaked visage. "Now, would you like to reveal yourself so that we may speak plainly? Or are you a coward after all?"
The man looks from you to the dragon and back again. "Should you choose to accept our invitation, you will act as Arytekothar's proxy, speaking on his behalf. Upstairs, on the small table near the door you will find a Kamanati crystal, which will teleport you to one of our many meeting places. You have until sundown to decide. Oh, by the way," he says while looking around, as if inspecting the place, "you have a lovely home." He laughs as the illusion glitters and dissolves, fading away into nothing.

"We will accept this invitation," says Arytekothar, finally breaking the silence. "If not only to gain more information. Go to the meeting and figure out what it is they want. Any question they ask you tell them you must consult me before answering."

4th number
2013-01-10, 01:52 AM
The back rooms of the Thaumaturges' Club are legendary. Luxurious leather seating that adjusts to the sitter's will, access to an excellent historical library, near-instant drink service (not that Ethan ever partakes), and countless other amenities make it the place for a noble wizard to take a meeting. Ethan ensures that he is regularly seen entering a private room. Sometimes he activates the wards, whether he is taking a meeting or not. Sometimes he leaves them off, which is generally understood as an invitation to enter should someone want to converse.

That's why Ethan is quite pleased to see the man in the red cloak take a seat opposite him in the Club. A new arrival, perhaps, and of the social caliber to gain a membership. Definitely someone to get to know.

After he hears the man's pitch, he leans back and frowns pensively. "As to what you want from me: My discretion you have regardless. I would not betray one who came to me with such an offer. I may even be willing to devote my time to this... endeavor. But my allegiance, that is not so easily bought." He leans forward again, peering at the man intensely. "What is in this book that you feel is worth the loyalty of House Adar?"

Artman77
2013-01-10, 02:13 AM
Ethan Adar
A small smile tugs at the corners of the old mans mouth. Gray hair frames his wrinkled face, and the candlelight twinkles in his eyes as he gazes at the golden liquid of the drink in his hand. He takes a sip and places the crystal goblet back on the table.
"Nothing within the pages of any book are worth anyone's loyalty," he replies smoothly. "It is merely a symbol. A promise." he sits back.
What will be contained within the book we give you is a large number of spells that you wish to learn, and ours is the promise to teach you these spells in exchange for favors carried out by you for us, at our discretion." He smiles ruefully. "Times are changing. Alliances are being formed and dissolved constantly. We would hope for your loyalty but not expect it. This is to be a mutually beneficial relationship. In addition to the book and our teaching you will have access to our secrets and secret keepers. For additional favors carried out, you will be entitled to ask a favor of us. Quid pro quo. Our organization spans the empire and membership is 'anonymous' making it the perfect vessel for acts of subterfuge..."

He leans forward, placing his elbows on the table, and slides a small red crystal across the table.
"Are you familiar with Kamanati crystals? You have until sundown to use this before its magic expires."
He waits eagerly for your response. If you have nothing else to say, he stands, finishes his drink and quietly exits.

4th number
2013-01-10, 02:32 AM
Ethan takes the crystal and tucks it into his pocket. "Thank you indeed for your offer. I'll give it my full consideration." He smiles. "Please don't take it amiss if I fail to appear, though. I am a busy man, as I'm sure you know."

Ethan has some guesses as to the nature of this organization, but none so firm that he'd be willing to risk his neck on words and deductions alone. The promise of spells doesn't interest him-- he has a course of study in the sort of magic that he finds useful already mapped out.

As the man stands to leave, Ethan inquires, "What is your name, friend?"

After the man has left, Ethan requests that a book covering Kamanati crystals be brought to him, as well as a directory of diviners in the city.

dantiesilva
2013-01-10, 10:28 AM
Artman as an illusion I get to roll a Will save to see if I saw through it, if I do mind you I would not have brought it back to the house. I get the save on the account that I interacted with the illusion so I get the save. With that in mind [roll0] Do not know what the DC is but I am assuming it is a high level one so doubt I will pass but none the less.

I was taught to hit illusions a few times to make sure they were real master. I do not yet have the power required to cast spells that allow me to see through them. Only the modern ways. Please forgive me. I say to my master before looking back to the illusion. So he was not as weak as I thought. That or he has been using two spells at once meaning he is very close. But what annoys me the most is when he begins to laugh and tells me what a nice house I have. I will go Arytekothar on your behalf, but know at the first possible opportunity I shall kill that man. and with that I await any more orders from my master before heading upstairs.

As I reach the top of the stairs I look to my Aunt. A talented Illusionist. Lock the house down and have the family scan it from top to bottom. I will be back shortly. I have matters to attend to that may raise our house up a bit closer to that of the ruling family right now, and the fire queen I believe they call her. With luck we may be able to make the families one. And make certain our hold is firm before we make our next move. After I have given my orders I walk over to the small table where the crystal was said to be left, and sure enough it is there. I would have to punish the guards of this manner for not making sure no one could get in without us noticing. And with that I break the crystal in my hand, waiting to see where it brings me, and ready for a battle.

Artman77
2013-01-11, 12:00 AM
Ethan Adar
"Cephas." he replies and walks towards the door. He places his hand upon the latch but stops. Turning back for a moment he adds, "We hope you approach this invitation with the utmost seriousness. We are risking much more than you just by doing so. We look forward to seeing you again." The seriousness of the expression on his face tells you he means it. With that, he turns and steps quickly through the door.

After a moment one of the many Club servants appears to assist you. Instead of Hale, your regular servant, you are greeted by a small, thin man with a thin nose and black hair. He seems professional enough.
"Very good Sir." He says upon taking your request. After a few moments he returns with neither book nor papers in his hand.
"I am very sorry sir, but I regret to inform you that the Club no longer has permissions to the Arcane Directories. I was told that the decree signed by His Grace last month prohibited access to both the Census and Directories of all arcane casters.
In regards to the book on Kamanati crystals, the Club's library did not cover the topic, so I sent a courier to Kahmal University to fetch one. It should be here with in ten minutes. Perhaps a drink while you wait?"

After a short while he returns with two books; a large brown tome with worn pages and scuffed corners titled 'Cities of Minoto Valley' and the other a small book bound in green cloth titled 'Magic Stones'.
"May I be of any more service to you Sir?" the servant asks.

Lord Loss
"Next time, act so that you have no need for apologies. As for the illusionist; let us wait a moment. Anyone can stick a knife in someone's back. This man was cautious enough not to deliver his message in the flesh, let us find out why this is. Be cautious; do not underestimate him. You are dismissed." And with that, Arytekothar turns and disappears into the darkness.

Your aunt quickly orders the guards to lock and seal the doors and windows, and orders the servants to deliver your orders to the other members of the family, and the house wizard.
"Bless you, dear nephew. May your actions bring glory to the threshold of our great house." She bows and kisses your ring before turning and heading up the stairs.

Crushing the crystal in your hand causes a bit of red smoke to swirl in the air around your fist, and for a moment, everything goes black, and when your vision returns you realize you are in a large, dimly lit room with several hooded figures...

dantiesilva
2013-01-11, 08:43 AM
As my master explains reason and common sense to me I notice that he is very much correct and like always, listen to his warnings. Not needing to reply because I know what is expected I leave the chamber as I am dismissed and head upstairs.

They will my dear Aunt they will. I suspect you will not find anything, but if you do make sure everything is removed from its possession and is thrown in a cell until I return.

As I come into the dimly lit room I look around my surroundings and once done begin to look for the reason of me being their.

tonberryking
2013-01-11, 10:17 AM
Juno

She would know; her father tried hiring someone to do that on her; Juno's teeth are clean at any rate...

"And who said you could leave?" she asks with a bit of bite to her words. Her horse paws at the mossy earth as if aggravated, until the druidess places a hand against the war mare's withers. Despite the fact she is quite dwarfed by her animal companion's, the act gives Juno the appearance she wants of control.

"I will not take your stone nor will I consider your offer... yet. Perhaps you've forgotten of some other compensation befitting a druid? Because otherwise, you make your employers come off as ill prepared or they think me a fool and I've no use for either."

Diplomacy, aggressive style: [roll0]

"Information may suffice, if it's to my advantage... but surely you prepared better than this?"

4th number
2013-01-11, 01:38 PM
Ethan dismisses the servant and spends several minutes reviewing the literature that he'd brought. What he learns makes him wish that he could whistle up a diviner to ascertain exactly which spell was in the red crystal. He decides against going on a search for one, though-- there are better ways to spend this afternoon.

He exits the club, leaving the customary two gold pieces as a gratuity for his guest's drink and the books.

Upon his return to the Adar manor, he locks himself in his office and writes out a full account of his encounter with "Cephas." He hides the paper in a compartment of his top desk drawer that he regularly uses for things that are secret, but not so secret that they require magical protection. If he loses his memory, he will find the paper there within the next day or so. If he is killed, it will certainly be discovered by one of his family members in the course of their inevitable looting of the estate. If he is replaced... well, that was a concern, but not so serious that he'd lose an opportunity for knowledge and leverage such as he suspected were waiting for him.

Ethan mutters a spell to give him a small amount of magical protection and draws one of his magical trinkets out of his pocket.

Then, he crushes the crystal.

That's Mage Armor up and a Feather Token (Whip) ready to acticate.

Artman77
2013-01-18, 03:10 AM
Juno Woodblade
"Alright look-" James does not seem to be intimidated, but he is realizing he obviously not won you over.
"-The spell book is probably worth six or seven thousand crowns, and was meant as a token of respect, not a bribe. Perhaps four of these would be of more interest?" Slowly reach beneath his cloak he pulls out a finely crafted horseshoe that glints under the sunlight. He tosses it to you.

It does not appear to sail heavily through the air as a heavy iron horseshoe would. Catching it, you recognize it instantly. It is an emissary's shoe, from Kodos. Only the emperor's personal messengers have them, with a few exceptions. You look for the arcane symbols. Speed. Jumping. Balance. Water Walk. Evasion. You know for a fact that these horseshoes are worth more than five thousand crowns, sometimes much more, depending on what they are enchanted with. It looks like there is enough room for another symbol, and one more enchantment...

"Is that more to your liking? Anyway, the purpose of our little club is political advancement and maneuvering, mostly. We would help you advance your career if you agreed to help some of us advance ours."
He winks.
"Since these things can be so sensitive in nature, the exact 'what' and the 'how' can only be discussed behind closed doors, so to speak. And..." He pauses for a moment, and his eyes leave yours as bows his head in respect "...if you will forgive me for being bold; there will be many eligible handsome and powerful men in close proximity should you accept."

Ethan Adar
A dark red smoke plumes outwards from your hand and the world around you slowly begins to go dark. The large windowless room that appears around you has a dark grey metal lining its walls, probably lead, and is dimly lit by numerous sconces that line the walls. In the center of the room is a long black table, polished to a glossy sheen.

Around the table are high-backed oak armchairs, seven on each side, and one on the far end. The back rest of each chair is carved front and back with a specific coat of arms. You spot yours on a chair on the near side.

"Presenting; His Lordship, Count Ethan Adar, Overseer of the Adarian Mines, Chancellor and member of His Majesty's High Court." comes a voice from your left. There are eight men in scarlet robes standing around the room, each with his hood over his head, hiding his face. Seated at the middle of the table on the far side is a ninth man in red robes who has his hood lowered. He is perhaps in his forties and some gray is starting to show in his otherwise immaculate black hair.

Two men in nobles' dress, a wizard in blue robes, and a man in leather armor are seated along the table on the near side. A fifth man in black robes decorated with the images of dragons also stands near the table. Two heavily armored guards with swords and spears guard the only exit.

"Greetings, and welcome to our lair, Lord Ethan," Says the man seated at the middle of the table. "I am Ocelevos Delgarias, current operator of the Heads of Hydra in this region. Before we continue, is there anything you would like to say?"

tonberryking
2013-01-18, 11:18 AM
Sense motive to make sure that the Horseshoes aren't contraband in that *only* those Kodos messengers are allowed to have them: [roll0]

You really should have started with this," Juno remarks, offering the shoe to her horse for inspection; the mare sniffles at it without balking. "And for the other three, I would give you my discretion and attend this meeting, though I make no further promises beyond that, of course, without hearing what else remains to be said." the tone of voice she carries seems to imply she'll have the shoes *now*, if anything.

May need another diplo check for this, so... [roll1]

Artman77
2013-01-18, 12:33 PM
James hands over the rest of the horseshoes.
"Of course." he replies, and with that turns and disappears behind a tree. After a moment you realize you are alone once more.

tonberryking
2013-01-18, 01:07 PM
Stroking the mare's neck, Juno eventually goes back to whatever it was she was doing before. Druidic practices, no doubt, and continues the rest of her day as normal... Until...

Once back in her family estate that early eve, assuming her suspicions prove false (see above) she leaves Bernadette (her horse) in the care of one of her stable hands with the instructions (both to Bernadette and the stablehand) to arrange for the smith to reshod the warhorse with the new shoes she's received. Excusing herself to her uncles, she leaves explicit instructions not to be disturbed tonight and withdraws to her private chambers. Once, they were her mothers, taking up a third of the wing of her not quite meager estate's uppermost floor.

To enter here without instruction is to incur Juno's wrath. The windows all have plants in them; the tiny belltower was reconfigured into a fine roost for birds to come and go, and her private chambers are as much a temple to nature as she can afford. A small shrine to Kord, where the stand to her scimitar and a few wooden swords sits, seems the most normal thing in the place apart from an ancient wardrobe bigger than her horse.

Replacing her hooded cowl for a wimple that has most the same effect, Juno crushes the stone given to her in her palm without a second thought.

Artman77
2013-01-21, 12:34 AM
As the momentary blackness begins to fade, you realize you have been teleported into a large, dark room. The walls are made of a dull grey metal, and sconces of candles provide dim illumination. About half a dozen men in blood red robes with hoods up stand about the room; one sits at the table, his hood is down.

"Presenting; The Baroness Juno Woodblade of Kubland, Protector of the Ancient Forest, and respected Horse Lord." proclaims a smooth and confident voice from your left. Looking in that direction you see another cloaked man, hood up.

A man in blue wizard's robes and a top hat, holding a staff, a man in armor, and two nobles also sit at the table. One man in noble's dress and one in a black robe, embroidered with red dragons and studded with rubies stand nearby.

One of the men in scarlet walks over to the man seated in the middle of the long black table and whispers something in his ear.
"Ah. Very good. Now that you are all here, we may begin. I am Ocelevos Delgarias, as some of you already know. I would like to graciously welcome each of you to the Heads of Hydra."

All of the sudden there is a loud pounding on the door. An anxious tension suddenly fills the room. Everyone turns to look at the single door. The guards ready their spears and one of the hooded men produces a dagger from his cloak and walks slowly to the door. It is silent for a moment.

"Potential threat neutralized," Comes a gruff voice from the other side of the door. You notice some of the hooded figures visibly relax. The tension lessens, but does not dissipate completely.
"Very well," Continues Ocelevos, "Lady Juno, allow me to introduce you to the rest of the room.
Ethan Adar, of Kubland," He gestures to the noble standing beside you.
"Lord Loss Von Cleft, of Myr," He motions to the young man in black, standing in front of you.
"And Lord Qavin Smallwing, of Lyn," the first seated noble.
"Sir Nathar Prodius, of Opesan," the man in blue.
"Lord Abram Getar, of Opesan," the second seated noble.
"Lord Kael Vorten, of Mythos," the man in armor.
The four men, previously seated, now rise upon seeing they are in the presence of a Lady.
"Greetings, Milady," Says Kael with a smile, bowing low.

Ocelevos snaps his fingers and one of the men exits the room.
"If I may have everyone's attention please..."
From beneath the table, Ocelevos procures a small meatal box and sets it on the table. Lifting its lid, he slides it forward for the seven of you to see. Contained within are seven silver rings, a small dragon head on the front of each one. Sir Nathar is the first to take one, followed by Qavin, Kael, and Lord Abram. You notice Nathar is the only one who tries his on.

The hooded man returns, followed by servants bringing pork and veal, spiced potatoes and fresh fruits, braised chicken, soup, dumplings, biscuits, fine wine and mead. Lastly, a silver platter with sweet crackers, chocolates, dried fruit, and cobbler is brought out.
"Please," says your host, beckoning you to come and sit, and partake in the feast. "Afterwards we will begin the orientation, answer any questions you may have, and show you to your private rooms, each containing your promised gifts, and supplies for the coming weeks."

dantiesilva
2013-01-21, 01:06 PM
As everything goes exactly as I had hoped I turn to the two who have joined me in the room. Upon seeing lady Juno I quickly do a bow and take her hand kissing it, making sure to keep eye contact with her with both my own eyes and those of the dragon encrusted into my cloak. Lady Juno Woodblade I was not expecting to see someone of your beauty here today otherwise I would have had something better to give you then this. I say as I produce a single white rose from thin air and present it to her. Rising up from my bow as I do so. And Lord Ethan Adar it is good to see you out of your house. How has your faimly been? Good I hope. Lord Loss says before turning back to the ones who had summoned them here.

As the bangs come to the door and all inside the room seem visibly shaken and ready to Fight I look on. Interesting, it seems they already have those who not only know of them, but where their base is. Unless of course this is all some ploy to gain our respect for them. I say to myself not looking fazed in the least, even after the gruff voice from the other side says that the problem has been taken care of.

Sense motives [roll0]

Paying little attention to what I have already learned I look intreged as I see the box of rings presented on the table and see the others take the rings Leaving only 3 left. And what are these to be? I was asked here for an audience and the promise of magical power. I do not see either in this very room. Only a bunch of scared mages and two guards at a door that jumped at a bump that could have come from a simple spell that even I can produce. I say to those gathered before me and as the door opens bringing in the food I look out it to see if I can see any signs of a fight outside the door.

Spot [roll1]

As I am asked to take a seat when the food is presented I do so, but do not touch the food. Waiting for all others their to take a sample, or a scroll to be produced to prove to me that none of the food is poisoned. A simple and old tactic to move up in the noble world.

Artman77
2013-01-21, 02:45 PM
Lord Loss
The indecent does not appear to be a ruse. The others seem genuinely surprised by the event. As it turns out, the banging on the door was merely a guard knocking loudly to inform the group that there was an issue, and it was dealt with.

You see the servants pass by two or three guards in the foyer adjacent to the hallway as they bring in the food. It appears they have a man in custody; either unconscious or dead, and a boy in rich clothing is searching the man's person, possibly for evidence or clues.

After Ocelevos offers each of you a ring, the servants set out plates, cups, and silverware and dinner is served. Some of the guests hesitate when the food is brought out, except for Sir Nathar, who begins eating like he has been starved for a week. Ocelevos sees your hesitation and says,
"Pick any food here, and I will eat it first," he waves his hand with a long sweeping motion across the serving platters piled high with food.

dantiesilva
2013-01-21, 03:13 PM
As I watch I see that it seems like it was indeed a guard who made the bang on the door but as I continue to watch I see someone being brought into the room. Odd, it seems like you have been found out and so soon mind you. I hope this is no illegal activity. I say to the head of Hydra before looking to Quavin smallwing. And a pleasure to see you here as well. Has the lady of flames let you off your leash? Or does she still believe you not to be a threat? I ask the man before taking a seat waiting for the others to take the rings first, even going as far as to pick up the box and hold it up for lady Juno. My lady. I say kindly to her as I let her choose her ring first before letting the oldest of the three of us choose his. After all I was raised right and ladies always came first in my house. Once all rings were taken I picked up the remaining one and examined it. Trying to see if there was anything special about it.

Detect magic spell to see if there is any magic focused inside it. I am down to 2 0 level spells left and 3 1 1st level spell left for the day.

As the food is finished being placed in front of all of us and I see others among the table hesitating to eat the food I look to the only fool who not only was eating it. But not even stopping to breathe as he shoveled food into his mouth. That is when I notice Ocelevos staring at me and hear him tell me to point out to any food and he will try it first. Some are less suscetable to poison then others. I would feel much safer with a spell being cast. And from the looks of it so would those among your very group that you represent seeing as only one has taken a bite of any of the food here. And that one has probably faced just every kind of poison there is by now. I am no fool to old tricks. Nor to the fact that some are much more resilient to certain effects then others. I value my life. So I see two ways of me eating this food. One of which is a simple spell that even I could do, so it should be no problem for any of your fellow members to do the same, and the other is to see you eat a bite of everything at this table. And then your familiar does as well. I say to the man who happens to be the head of Hydra. I value my life more then anything and if they expect me to think that only one piece of food could be poisoned they were sadly mistaken. Plus I had to put on a good show.

Artman77
2013-01-21, 03:51 PM
"Hah!" laughs Qavin. "I would not be led by a 'leash' as you put it. No, that was my sister's problem to begin with. If she was not so controlling, perhaps I would not have left the manor to study abroad in the first place!" He grabs a bunch of grapes and a drumstick, dripping with juices.

"Suit yourself..." he replies. The other robed figures sit, lower their hoods, and begin to eat, as do the other nobles seated at the table with the exception of Kael.

"So, Loss is it? Are you always this cautious?" Asks the wizard called Nathar, putting his hat on the corner of his chair and refilling his plate. "A little fear is healthy, much fear is crippling. And it will do you no good to cast that spell..." he says as he sees your hand raise up.
"They have an anti-magic field over the place. Did you not notice your mage armor was dispelled when you got here? Surely you had some sort of magical protection?"

dantiesilva
2013-01-21, 04:07 PM
So you are allowing her to destroy your families beautiful bloodline then and all your uncles hard work and his ancestors before that. A shame really. I had much hope for your family. It seems those with the skills to lead have chosen to instead stand by as those who would destroy their very family do so. Perhaps I was wrong about you and your family. And dragons blood does not run through their veins as the stories say. I say watching the man grab some food.

As all the others sit down and begin eating I watch all those who once had their hoods up take them off and I try to see if I notice any of them now that they have revealed themselves.

[roll0] Arcane
[roll1] history
[roll2] Local

As the wizard named Nathar asks me about me always being cautious I reply in kind. I am in a place with a group of people who claim to want to make a new rulership. To add this place is blocked from divination, and from what you have just said also from all other forms of magic. Seems to me that an easy way to kill someone. You do not spend a long time with my master without learning what to look for when it comes to murder. As I am sure you have heard my family motto is victory to the spider. As for noticing that my spells were disabled once I came here you are correct I did notice. Another reason for caution. some would call it paranoia, I simply call it keeping myself alive. And as you can see it has done me well so far. I say to the man.

After watching all those their eat for about ten minutes and no ill effects coming around I take a small portion of each of the foods I have seen eaten by the others so far and enjoy the meal.

tonberryking
2013-01-22, 10:58 AM
"It's been awhile, Lord Loss, thank you."

Immediately on her guard, Juno seems more than willing to allow Lord Loss his moment in the spotlight of aggressive caution. Impressive how unnecessary it is for her to raise or voice her own suspicions; the only protest (if it can be called that) is torefuse Loss the chance to kiss her hand. After the incident 4 years ago at the party held by that uppity Duchess' Trelmane's daughter, with that drunken lout "Sir" Eric Enderson, he should *really* know better than that. The rose, however, is accepted graciously, and she was silent in withdrawing her hand at least...

She takes special note of Ethan Adar, to whom she gives a wane smile and a half curtsy, and responds back to the one man at the table who greeted her, Kael Vorten. She must council her uncles on all the men here, she thinks, while silently, perhaps sternly, she allows Loss to make the scene. It (Presumably, also, only one ring is small enough for her hand; she takes it without a second thought but does not put it on.) It allows her to learn so much already; magic is impotent within the room, nothing will leave the room without Ocelevos' leave, and if the food was poisoned, that Nathar man would have dropped dead a minute ago.

But as Loss continues, she realizes she must make a play of her own, lest she seem like a wooden statue of petite size. Coughing politely into a napkin, she looks sidelong at Loss, as if to silently protest his suspicions, taking her own seat and gesturing at Kael with a nod to do the same, presuming he is minding some impeccable manners.

"Your... sister, Lord Qavan? I am not sure I have had the pleasure, or at least, I do not recall where our paths may have crossed... she asks for water and partakes of the meal; but seems to imply a double meaning to her last bit of words. Juno seems to break the ice as if this were a regular social function; whatever maddeningly important point the dinner has will be given in due time.

"But then, it has nearly been a season since the last formal occasion that reached the Woodblades. What news in the right circles might have you to share of the goings on outside my woods and pastures?"

OOC:
Interpret what you wish of the "Eric Enderson" debacle; it's just meant to be a Noodle Incident from her past wherein Juno wrecked a party after deciding she wasn't going to put up with being said party's laughing stock, and it involved a drunken boor.

Also, take this as Rule #1 of social functions where Juno is present: Do Not Touch Juno.

Also, I can make untrained Kn. Nobility checks, right? I wanna see if I can recall any of these guys from Juno's spotted history at banquets or gatherings: [roll0]

Also, also: Diplomacy check again to try to come off as appealing and/or gracious, to perhaps get some honest answers out of anybody: [roll1]

dantiesilva
2013-01-23, 12:18 AM
Good to know Juno not like touching. Then again Lord Loss is not one to beat a dead horse so to speak. Or throw salt on a wound. As for untrained checks max you can get is a 10 no matter what you roll in that case.

As Juno pulls her hand away I remember what happened at the last ball and graciously stand up. (Aside to Juno as Lord Loss is raising up) I am sorry my lady, I had forgotten of the last time we had meet. Forgive me. He says before turning to the others and making it seem like nothing had been said.

Not sure what the listen check would be on that, Correction DC 15 listen check for all but her to hear him

As I am ranting on as if I had not been here once before I look to Juno who has coughed and silently I take the seat that has my master's symbol on it. Though it is a few chairs from Juno's chair it is right on the side Of the great Ethar it would seem. Interesting how they would place us. Here I would have thought they would have kept us all close as to effect us all at once if something needed to be taken care of.

[roll0] Sense motives against Juno's Diplomacy though no chance of me winning seems only right to attempt the roll. Hope no hard feelings.

So saying that I am not dead it would seem I owe you an apology. But as I am sure you know, you can never be to safe with such meetings. Will there be others joining us or will it only be those assembled? I ask curious to see how many people will be here total. After all though I had spoken with this man already I was not sure of their plans any more then my colleagues besides me.

4th number
2013-01-23, 03:03 PM
Ethan waves off Ocelevos Delgarias' offer to speak, and settles into his seat at the table, scanning the faces with a neutral expression and favoring those that he recognizes (including the blue-robed man) with a small smile. He mentally notes the introductions of the other nobles-- at least he was not the only one whose identity was made public.

Delgarias had introduced himself, but none of the others. It seemed likely that senior members would know of the new arrivals, but could retain their own privacy. That combined with the... efficient... security arrangements gives him both confidence in the Heads' ability to maintain secrecy and concern that he is but a pawn in a larger game.

Ethan responds to Lord Loss's small talk with only a curt nod, and he pockets his ring when it is offered to him-- in his right pocket, of course.

As Loss rambles inanely about poison, Ethan holds out his holy symbol and mutters a brief prayer over his meal before he eats. It's very likely that it did no magical good, but it was a habit he maintained fastidiously-- and perhaps Garl Glittergold would look down favorably on his machinations. At any rate, if they'd wanted him dead he'd be dead, and if they wanted him enchanted they would do it somewhere where magic worked.

At a lull in conversation, he turns to Juno. "A pleasure to see you here, m'lady. A most interesting assortment of people are dining with us, are they not? It is especially a pleasure to meet you yet again, along with the mighty dragon." That last he adds in slightly sarcastic Elvish.

Artman77
2013-01-24, 01:42 AM
Kael smiles at Juno politely and after she sits he also takes his seat. Lord Qavin chuckles at the banter unfolding before him in elven. As people begin to eat you notice a large spot in the center of the table free of plates, drinks, or food.

"My dear sister has become quite meddlesome I'm afraid," replies Qavin. "She has seen fit to dirty our bloodline for the sake of political gain. I understand the need for a military presence in Lyn, the barbarians seem to be attacking every week now, but marriage to some random warlord?" He pauses and lowers his food from his mouth, as if he's lost his appetite.
"Surely she cannot be so blind as to what will happen next. Half-blooded childeren. Loss of respect from our extended family, and with it the families pride as a whole. This will make us more susceptible to outside influence."
He lets out a laugh as he realizes the irony in his statement. He looks around at the unfamiliar faces and shrugs. "See?"

It is quite true. Even with their hoods lowered, none of you recognize any of the other men seated at the table. As the meal continues, the man seated at Ocelevos' right begins to shudder slightly, and his face contorts. His nose seems to shrink. His ears grow. And a moment later, you realize that the man, now elf, who sits before you is none other than the infamous and exiled elven wizard Aaron Malthrenarthiyr the Black.

The members of Hydra don't seem to notice or care much, but the reaction from the nobles seated around you is immediate:
Mouths drop open.
A piece of chicken falls from Abram's mouth to his plate. Kael leaps to his feat, knocking back his chair, and draws his sword.
"What is the meaning of this!??" he yells.
Everyone seems disturbed except for perhaps Nathar, who scarcely raises an eyebrow.

"Lord Kael, calm yourself." replies Ocelevos. "This is it, Lord Loss, you seven are all that will be in attendance this evening. And you are quite right about spells in this place, they will not work with one exception--"
"--Mine." Replies Aaron.
"Now, may we continue our meal?" says Ocelevos calmly. "Sir Nathar, you don't seem surprised?"
"Oh? I am, I am." he says quickly, seemingly in an effort to be extra polite. It looks as if he is about to say something else as well, but thinks better of it. Realizing that the wizard isn't about to start killing people, Kael sheaths his sword and sits back down.

"Aaron is to be our House Wizard for this chapter of Hydra. He brings to the table a vast amount of power, teleportation, abjuration, as well as an extensive knowledge of the dark arts--"
"...and killing people, he's pretty good at that..." Mutters Kael under his breath.
"--and has pledged his loyalty to us in that regard."

"We would like to get to know you better," continues Ocelevos, pouring himself another glass of wine, "So that we can better help you accomplish your goals. What personal or political problems do you have that you would like to see resolved? Anyone?"
He looks around the table.

tonberryking
2013-01-24, 11:47 AM
The appearance of a dark magician seems to deter Juno less than the prattling of one man: Qavin's offhanded comments of selective breeding and general air about judgement is taken as a grievous insult to the woman whose ancestor earned his nobility. But then again, all Juno does is continue to eat her meal, a hearty one at that, rather than give the man dark looks or a snarl. That she is done speaking with him should be enough of a sign.

Finished eating, and dabbing her face with a napkin to hide her silently sucking food from her teeth, Juno insists on a calm, casual attitude. Eventually however, this breaks:

"And in return?"

Three words. Three simple words as her eyelashes flutter in Ocelevos direction, her face a serene, but cutely curious visage. It may be very direct, but Juno wants to know the whole score, what price of loyalty such wishes would warrant.

Artman77
2013-01-24, 12:31 PM
"Small favors here and there..." Ocelevos waits for your response, or perhaps a request from one of the others. One of the other members sees your hesitation and pipes up.

"The favors are nothing too extreme, Lady Juno," Says the the man. He appears to be in his late twenties or early thirties. He is the only one at the table with strawberry blonde hair; it is short and unkempt. His eyes are a deep blue.
"For example; one month they may ask you to provide food and shelter for another member traveling from the other side of the empire. They might ask each member of the body to donate a small amount so that we may pay a bribe or two. Or they could ask for you to keep eyes and ears on a target who happens to be in your neck of the woods, and report back on his activities."

"Thank you Dan," interjects Ocelevos, then turns his attention back to you and the others "Membership with the Heads of Hydra isn't membership with a cult nor an expensive club. We have no annual membership dues, nor quarterly meetings, there will be no ritual sacrifices. It is merely a secret alliance between noble houses to advance each house, and better the empire as a whole.
If any of you has a problem that you would not mind sharing with those present, we could demonstrate the organization's benefits in a very real and immediate way..."

dantiesilva
2013-01-24, 12:44 PM
Well we all know what I am doing [roll0] Arcane [roll1] Local [roll2] history [roll3] Spellcraft

As the man seated at Ocelevos' right begins to shudder slightly I turn in his direction curious that another has used magic to alter their identity. But as the wizard is revealed it is clear to see why. So they got Aaron Malthrenarthiyr the Black. This just got more interesting and a lot more clear. I would not doubt him even being the real head and Ocelevo being the decoy. And although I am surprised by the appearance of this particular wizard I knew there was something more then what was being shown going on and sure enough their was. Though this was indeed a surprise. So its true what they, you being able to master the ability to use your magic in an anti magic field. Very impressive Aaron. As for my personal agendas I have none at this moment. Well besides learning the skill that Aaron has learned that is. I say to those assembled before us looking around the table to see if it is the same for the others. I am not one to take gifts freely or first. I will consult with my master though to see if he has any requests.

4th number
2013-01-25, 12:22 AM
If the Heads of Hydra can indeed offer help to its members, a test is in order. A minor favor, to see what is requested in turn.

"I was recently prohibited access to the Census and Directories of magicians, told that it was the result of a recent edict passed down. Perhaps you--" Ocelevos, he means, but he leaves it open to anyone in the room-- "could help me to ascertain why exactly that is."

There. It signaled cooperation and buy-in with the group, but didn't expose any deeper plans. And it would be good to regain that access.

Artman77
2013-01-25, 01:20 AM
"We could dig deeper into the reason why if you would like, but I suspect it is due to the emperor's ever increasing paranoia," replies Ocelevos, "And I will see about getting a copy of the Directories for you.
Anyone else?"

dantiesilva
2013-01-25, 11:23 AM
As Ocelevos asks again if we need any favors done from him I once again reply with the same calm even tone I have been using as I wait for a servant to come take the plate from in front of me. As I have said before I shall have to contact my master to see if he would like something. But at this time I need nothing. Perhaps though you may need something done in my neck of the woods? After all sealing our agreement should be done as a group effort. And as I have nothing that needs to be done right now that I can not do myself besides learning the abilities to cast spells in an anti magic field, it is only fair that I offer my assistant to you in my home town. I say to those assembled wondering who will take the bait.

4th number
2013-01-25, 11:32 PM
Ethan nods his assent. "Excellent. My thanks."

As Loss speaks, he fishes out the ring and examines it closely.

Artman77
2013-01-27, 12:59 AM
"We have no need for any immediate actions in Myr as of yet, but thank you for the offer. We will surely let you know when the might of Arytekothar." Ocelevos smiles politely.

"I would like to be made President of the Smith's Guild," offers Abram, "Every election I am hedged out by just a few votes, and I am quite sure it is by no coincidence!" He pounds his fist on the table to articulate his point.

Just then two servants bearing a large platter on poles enter the room, and you know now why such a large, empty space was left on the table.
On the platter is a roasted Six-Horned Stag.
A royal deer.
Stealing, killing, or even eating just a bite of one is considered treason and punishable by death.
To top it off, a golden apple has been put in it's mouth.
Effectively adding insult to injury(or in this case, treason). Golden Apples only grow on one tree in the Emperor's private garden and are for his consumption only; they are sweeter and juicier than any other apple, and have ability to remove fatigue, remove poison, heal sickness and injury, and cure disease.
Ocelevos and the man to his right stand up and move their chairs so that the servants can place the stag on the table.
"Now we shall see who is willing to cast their lot with Hydra and alter the course of history!" he exclaims triumphantly. "...Who will partake of this dish fit only for kings?"

There is a feeling of trepidation among the nobles at the table, with the exception of Nathar. Abram is the first to take a bite, reaching out slowly with his fork and knife, but never taking his eyes off of Delgarias. You wait.
Abram doesn't choke and Ocelevos doesn't transform into the emperor. No guards break into the room to arrest him.

Surprisingly, Kael is the next to take a bite, reaching out with a steady hand and taking quite a large piece.

4th number
2013-01-27, 02:11 AM
As eyes are on the stag, Ethan stands, placing his napkin on his seat. He walks a few steps over to Juno and murmurs, "We should confer."

tonberryking
2013-01-27, 08:35 AM
Whether by design, or by stalling as she would have quite the number of problems to give to the Hydras for solving, Juno is cut off from explaining what it is she would have of them by the arrival of the main course.

Her hand flies to her mouth, the only break in character she suffers at this point, but not for the reasons one may expect. Her face composes a moment before Ethan arrives and she nods.

"Unless you would force our hands, my bold host, I must agree with my ...neighbor. May we have a moment?"

Artman77
2013-01-27, 09:21 AM
"If you must..." He says with a dismissive wave of his hand.

The room is quite large giving you plenty of space for quiet conversation between its corners and the table in the center of the room.

tonberryking
2013-01-27, 09:25 AM
Though she's not wearing a dress to drive the effect home, in her surcoat Juno glides up from her hair and before Ethan may be aware, she's guiding him (and only him) over to a corner by the hand. She's careful to move at an angle rather than turn her back completely on Ocelevos or his congregation.

Picking the closest corner and finally turning to face Ethan, her face is masked with apprehension. "Well?" she hisses, dread mounting with each moment she's away from the table.

4th number
2013-01-27, 10:21 AM
Ethan speaks quickly and quietly to his fellow Kubland native for a moment, then inclines his head slightly and steps aside, allowing her to head back to the table first.

tonberryking
2013-01-27, 10:47 AM
Juno whispers something back. Then, as if the entire thing didn't happen, she strides with purpose back towards the table.

She doesn't resume her seat. Instead, the young baroness stands against the table with the stag between her and Ocelevos, her features a porcelain mask of complacency as she looks down at the main course, and then the man who provided it.

"Druids and their traditions must truly be a dying lot in our age..." she begins before putting a foot up on the table, scandalously, and clearly not giving a damn what anyone thinks, either.

"The six horned stag is off limits to warder such as myself; the rarity of such an animal makes it unfit for my consumption, no matter what any King's Law says otherwise."

That being said, however, Juno finds it best to prove her loyalty, such as it is, anyway and wrenches the golden apple from it's maw and bites a huge chuck out of it. And another. And another. She eats the entire damn thing in front of Ocelevos before waltzing back to her seat, including the core. Juno takes her chair as if this were a matter of fact and looks evenly at Ocelevos and his wizard buddy.

"But I am not an unreasonable woman. Speaking for Lord Adar and myself as the combined voice of Kubland, I will have your favor now, and you will have at your wiles and your.... our new history.

4th number
2013-01-27, 10:56 AM
Ethan returns to his place and stands behind his chair as Juno begins her performance. He starts with a dour expression on his face, but by the time Juno remarks on the shared voice of Kubland, he looks downright amused.

dantiesilva
2013-01-27, 12:33 PM
As the stag is brought into the room once again I am at a lose for words and as we are all offered the forbidden fruit a smile comes to my face and with a bow, as the Juno and Ethar head over to the corner. For Hydra then. May those among us never betray their fellows or they shall face a dragons wrath. I say to those assembled, knowing full and well the reputation I have in my own place for bearing half dragon blood, and hoping most here believe the same. If only magic was not being nullified in this area I could do my normal tricks to make it known. But no matter. And with that I cut a large piece off of the stag and eat it.

As the other two come back and join us I watch on courisou as to what was said. I would have to keep an eye on those two. They were from the same land. And if I could not win Juno over she was a potential threat. As was Ethar as he had a good wit and I knew very well he would not fall for my ideas of rulership.

Artman77
2013-01-28, 11:53 AM
Ocelevos is clearly impressed with your showmanship. His eyebrows raise a bit when you eat the core, and a grin slowly pulls at the corners of his mouth.
He listens as you make your statement.
"Very good Baronnes. Name your favor." he replies.

Sir Nathar casually cuts a piece off of the stag and takes a bite, and finally Lord Qavin does as well, albeit a bit apprehensively.
All eyes turn to Lord Ethan. Ocelevos appears to be waiting patently.

Nathar pulls out his pipe and procedes to pack it with herbs.
"Ahem." Malthrenarthiyr the Black clears his throat as Nathar produces his tinderbox. "l'd prefer that you didn't."
Sir Nathar raises his eyebrows and tilts his head to the side with curiosity. Aaron offers no further explanation to his wishes, but Nathar doesn't push the issue, and puts his pipe back away.

tonberryking
2013-01-28, 12:05 PM
"Ethan Adar has deferred to me as representative; as the Alpha, she names a term used for wolves, "You may relay missives and favors to him after we leave, but as we are together now, my loyalty speaks for his, and any other boons mine to claim. Should he ever think to betray us, then it will be my ire that he incurs, and my problem to deal with. But for now, have someone bring me a map of Kubland."

She casts a withering look to Ethan, as if to remind him of his place. With the map presented, the short woman stabs a finger at a large wooded area a stone's throw away from her barony estate, notable for at least two, maybe three borders wedged against it that belong to families not of the Woodblade's.

"These lands are mine. Some of the finest timber and valuable medicines are cultivated from this forest, and I know for a fact that Andel Verkaun, my unfortunate neighboring noble, is a thief who plunders trees from it. He claims that it's the work of my own peasantry and laughs at any accusations that he hired mercenaries to do the job. He is to cease. Immediately."

Artman77
2013-01-29, 01:16 AM
"Interesting. Lord Ethan, what logic is there in this decision? Becoming her subordinate when you are a Duke and she is just a Baroness? No offense, Lady Juno. I merely seek to understand the situation."
He studies Ethan for a moment, then his eyes fall to the stag on the table.
"Does this mean you are declining our invitation?"
His gaze returns to you, Lord Ethan...and he places his hands upon the table...and leans forward...eager for your reply.

A map is pulled from underneath the table upon Juno's request: Apparently they were expecting a favor or two regarding territories.

"Your request is taken into consideration. Although you were within your rights, it is too bad you have accused him openly, giving you motive to harm him. It limits our options. You will be contacted by Hydra when we have formulated a plan." He drinks the remainder of his wine and sets the goblet back down resolutely.

4th number
2013-01-29, 02:06 AM
"She and I are both heads of families who share Kubland among us. It is in some such matters that I defer to Lady Woodblade. For example, should the pursuit of her territorial rights require a show of force, I am willing to conscript and arm a number of men for a period of time, should it prove beneficial. Of course, if you or the 'Heads' join our efforts in the region, I know that I would be glad to consider you among our allies."

Ethan steps closer to Ocelevos. "In some circles, he remarks softly, "it is considered rude to offer a man a meeting and serve him open treason. I offer this observation only in the spirit of friendship. Your man Cephas may have reported that I offered my silence without condition. That promise stands. Favors for favors, though, from now on-- those are the rules of your club, yes?"

Artman77
2013-01-29, 02:40 AM
The men stand up from the table and don their hoods. Ocelevos nods to one at the far end of the table, who exits the room. He turns his attention back to Lord Ethan and the stag.
"I am quite aware. Will you have some or won't you?"

4th number
2013-01-29, 02:44 AM
"To eat that stag is to give many men power over me," he continues in a murmur. "The Heads have not yet so impressed me that I would give myself to them in that way." He drops his voice lower. "Indeed, I do not stand so close to His Grace these days myself, but there are men in this room whom I do not trust one iota."

dantiesilva
2013-01-29, 09:49 AM
Calm down Sir Kael. After all in a fight right now the only one here that could stop you would be Malthrenarthiyr, that should put you at ease. I say to Lord Kael at his small little outburst before looking to the one known as Ethan Adar. You do realize by simply being here at this meeting you are already committing treason. And as such if you or any in this room for that matter were to inform the king, the rat themselves would be killed. Just more swiftly. I personal do not want to die. And from what it looks like only Sir Kael is the one freaking out in this room. Well besides you now. And you are also the only one to not have eaten anything, how could anyone here trust you to not betray us? You yourself have said it is more of an alliance then anything else with Lady Juno which would mean that one of you is lieing as she says she is your superior. I say sitting forward and sticking my hand into the deer until I feel its heart. Ripping it out and looking at it in my hand I wish that at this moment magic was not against me so that my hand would appear as a dragons claw. And with that thought in mind I eat the heart of the deer. and watch as the rest of it is taken away.

Artman77
2013-01-29, 12:42 PM
Ocelevos' eyebrows raise at Lord Loss' argument and his head turns as he waits for Lord Ethan to respond. His eyebrows raise again when Loss plunges his hand into the stag; he seems both impressed and disgusted.

"How barbaric." He clears his throat. "Shall we?" He asks, motioning towards the door. The guards open the door once more and the hooded men walk through it, single file. As you exit the room, you notice a green energy crackle around you as you cross the threshold.

Ocelevos leads you and the other nobles down a narrow windowless hallway of stone. The intruder has been taken away, the adjoining hallway to the left is now empty. You are lead down narrow stone steps to another narrow hallway, dimly lit by torches. Dozens of heavy oak doors line the walls on either side. As with the chairs in the room above, the doors are also engraved with coat of arms.
"When you come to your door, place your hand over the arcane symbol below your coat of arms, and speak your name." Instructs the Hydra leader.

In doing so, your door unlocks, and you find a small windowless office lit by a chandelier, A daybed, a wardrobe, a footlocker, a very plush and expensive rug covering more than half of the stone floor, a writing desk with two drawers, and a small reading chair.
The chair and bed look very expensive; the matress and pillow made with down, fitted with silk sheets, cotton and wool blankets, as well as a heavy quilt also filled with down.

The desk is sturdy and at a comfortable height. It is well made but not overly large.
On top of the desk is a lamp, a large spell book, a quill and inkwell, a brand new black suede money purse containing 50pp, 50gp, and 25sp, a silver goblet, an expensive bottle of elven wine from Lorian and a bottle of dwarven firewhisky from Norgeat.
The spell book bound in soft leather* and fitted with silver on the corners. On the front and back cover are many arcane symbols. When your fingers touch it, the hair stands up on the back of your arm. You notice your name is embossed on the spine.

In the first drawer you find a small blue potion, which glows slightly, a small brass key(which probably fits the brass keyhole of the first drawer), a finer quill and inkwell with arcane symbols on it, a tiny box containing diamond dust, and a small box containing other spell components; talc, gypsum, lime, silver wire and powdered silver, as well as miscellaneous oils.
The second drawer is full of blank scrolls and parchment.

The wardrobe contains a nondescript traveler's cloak, A warm robe*, and a robe exactly like the ones worn by the members of hydra, complete with dragon heads on the back of the sleeves and arcane symbols around the edge of the hood. This robe however, is bright white.

The footlocker contains three changes of clothes; one noble, one middle class, and one for traveling, a night gown, and a box containing three golden-yellow potions of some sort.

*OOC: The color of the leather binding and day robe is the color of your character's text.

dantiesilva
2013-01-29, 03:43 PM
As I hear Ocelevos voice calling me barbaric I look over and then at the table seeing most eyes on me and reply. We have a saying up North you may be aware of. Waste not, want not. I am not one to waste when I am sure it is safe. I reply simply not really caring if others find it barbaric. And with that I get up and follow all those assembled to the double doors that have up to this time, been guarded by two soldiers. Interesting, so it would seem the the ability to stop our magic ends at the doorway? That is good to know. It means our personal safety is in our own hands outside the room, but at least we have our own powers to protect us. I say to myself following in line staying close to Quavin Smallwing and Sir Kael. After all we were all suppose to be friends, and talking to those around you was only the civil thing to do.

As we are all lead down a narrow windowless hallway of stone I look around trying to see if anything of interest catches my eye. Or even where the stone could come from, narrowing where we were slightly.

[roll0] Spot check
[roll1] Arcane
[roll2] history
[roll3] Local
[roll4] the planes

All these checks are for the stone walls mind you.

Eventually we all come to a long narrow hallway with oak doors engraved with our family symbols on it. While looking at all the doors trying to count how many members this branch boasts I hear Ocelevos tell us all to walk up to the door with our crest on it and speak our names. Is this a sort of magic that hydra has worked into the doors I take it? To only open for the appropriate person so that no assassinations may take place and that once inside we would be safe if the place was indeed stormed and found? I ask the man as I walk up to the door and look over the work. Wait when did we all get arcane symbols on our... I pulls up my sleeve looking at the mark on his arm.

All these checks have to deal with my door.

[roll5] Arcane
[roll6] Search
[roll7] Spellcraft to determine what school of magic it would be from and the spell if I roll high enough

Once all is discussed I walk into my room and am surprised at what I find inside. And all of it looks very expensive. But for all the beauty held inside the room only one thing catches my eye. The blue leather and silver fitted corners. As I inspect the book I can even feel the chill of my homeland rushing up my arm. Slowly I look the book over trying to read all the arcane symbols and see if I recognize any of them. Once finished I open the book and start reading what is inside it.

Taking my time so taking 20 on my knowledge checks for 27 on all of them.

4th number
2013-01-30, 08:55 AM
Ethan favors Lord Loss with an annoyed stare. "You speak very loudly of things that you do not understand." He turns away midway through his fellow nobleman's meal, and speaks to Ocelevos. "My commitment is something that must be earned. As our lord astutely points out, though, you have entangled me in your schemes regardless."

He follows Ocelevos down the stairs and examines his room, taking nothing for now but noting the details.

"You have an exceptional little clubhouse, Ocelevos. How would one go about getting here? Are you planning to issue all of us a necklace to pulverize bit by bit?"

tonberryking
2013-01-30, 11:01 AM
"I don't necessarily need my neighbor killed; I just want an end to his presumptions upon my land..."

Juno, having grown a bit more cross in the time it's taken for Ethan and Loss to go at ends with each other, seeks refuge in plugging Ocelevos for more information by the time she's lead to her accommodations. Her eyebrow arcs for a moment, wondering just what the hell would be in her own book of green leather.

"It would appear you've arranged for everything, however, are we to remain here long? I cannot speak for my new found ally, but I did not intend to tarry here more than one eve." She looks about and figures, hey, may as well ask.

"What's in my book, and pardon my directness but what purpose do the potions serve?"

Artman77
2013-01-31, 01:43 PM
"These--" he says to Ethan, holding up his hand to display a sliver ring like the one you received, "--are rings of recall, and they will teleport you back to your room once they are attuned. As you conveniently pointed out, trust must be earned, and once it is we will attune the ring for you. This process will involve wearing the ring for a week, but we will get to that later."

The other nobles begin to emerge from their rooms.
"So do we get to know where this clubhouse is so we may return by horse or some other means?" Asks Kael, looking from Lord Ethan to Delgarias and back again.
"No. If you must return within a week, you can use the Kamanati crystal provided for you--" He replies.
"We already crushed that to get here." Interrupts Abram.
"--provided for you in the breast pocket of your cloak. Did you not find it when you examined your room?"
He turns to the Baroness.
"No my Lady, we do not plan to detain you much longer. We wish to present you with a request of our own, which need not be fulfilled until we fulfill yours, of course.
As to the book, take a look for yourself. Maps, animal anatomy, and simple ways to alter druid spells to make them function better, as well as some druid spells from areas outside of the region that your circle may have not been familiar with.
You each have been provided with healing potions in the unfortunate event should you need them in your endeavors." He says, now addressing all of you.
"And what about the blue one in my desk?" Asks Kael.
"It's liquid enlightenment, from Lorien, am I correct?" asks Qavin, pulling it from his pocket.
"You are indeed."
Qavin then downs the potion without hesitation.

dantiesilva
2013-01-31, 09:31 PM
As I walk back out of my room I notice everyone standing around and the head to Hydra speaking. So there is a crystal in the room. It seems I should have investigated it a little more. I say to myself before watching Quavin down the potion. So I take it we will all be leaving now then? Or do you have a mission for all of us to do individually to prove our loyalty? I ask the head of Hydra ready to go and speak with master.

Artman77
2013-02-04, 01:35 PM
"Our request," he continues, "is to for you to accuse someone in your homeland of traitorous activity: Continued involvement in the Black Circle. The accused should not be of noble blood nor related to a noble, but have relations with one, an officer of the law, courtier, knight, or member of the Starbound Magi, or relations to a third party who does. The accused can be put to death, imprisoned, or set free at your discretion." He looks at those assembled to judge your reactions.
"As you know, the Black Circle has a long and checkered history and their members have been accused of both treason and sedition in the past, so this is nothing new. I can assure you that your actions in this matter will not put you at risk, and perhaps will even work in your favor. Membership in the Black Circle has waned, and with it, their power. We are poking the hornets nest to see how many hornets are left.
I can now answer any questions you may have if they are brief, if not, you may return to the meeting hall and we can discuss them at length. Otherwise, you are free to leave. Aaron will teleport you back to your manor."
He clasps his hands together waiting expectantly for the questions that are sure to follow.

dantiesilva
2013-02-04, 02:07 PM
As the head of hydra speaks to us all, explaining what they expect my brain is already thinking of potential targets. Taking out the lady of flames new ally could prove useful. And by simply stating one of his men was part of the Black circle could gain myself in ally in Quavin Smallwing, but also an enemy of his niece who was in power. Then again going on that logic it would be in his best interest to take that very course of action, and interfering may cause him to think I was trying to expand. Who would be a substantial target for this idea? I think to myself as I go through all the nobles in my immediate area and those who had ties to them through bushiness or extended family.

[roll0] Arcane
[roll1] History
[roll2] Religion
[roll3] Local

All of these checks are to determine who would be the best target which will be discussed with my master of course.

Are we allowed to bring our books back with us? I wish to study it. I ask out loud stating my intentions to all openly that way while I am in the room I can pick up the crystal as well.

Artman77
2013-02-05, 02:31 AM
"It is yours to do with as you wish." replies Delgarias, bowing his head slightly.

4th number
2013-02-05, 03:21 AM
Ethan considers this latest request of Ocelevos'. The ruination of a man, in exchange for a modest set of trinkets and a book, perhaps even two if he comes through with the Directories. And membership in a conspiracy, be that a credit or discredit.

There were possibilities inherent in taking the offer, and more possibilities in at least seeming to take it. An outright rejection would seem to be unwise-- he had avoided committing treason by only the strictest definitions. The Heads could certainly ruin him if they chose.

"You will receive word from me within days," he remarks to Ocelevos. "And I thank you for the hospitality."

He retreats briefly into his office to leave some items and take others with him, then emerges into the hallway in search of Juno.

dantiesilva
2013-02-05, 09:25 AM
As I receive my answer from Delgarias I quickly head back into my own room and shut the door. Once the door is closed I grab the spellbook presented to us as well as the crystal that was left in the robe. It seems they are giving me and master quite a lot to look at, I wounder what he will choose to do. I say to myself before walking back out with both items tucked away, the ring still inside the inner pocket of my cloak now being joined with the crystal while the spellbook is merely hidden under my cloak in one of my hands. I am ready to return to my estate. I say taking a good hard look at the place so that if need be, master himself could teleport there.

tonberryking
2013-02-06, 06:52 PM
Juno disappears at once, without a word, into her 'room.' Within moments she returns, the dormitory now lacking its funds, 'spellbook' and presumably the potions. At least the spell book is under her arm.

"I'm sure someone in Kubland can meet your requirements," she explains to Ocelevos in a congenial lit, though it remains unspoken that she will probably wait until Hydra keeps its side of the bargain before acting. A flashing glance to Ethan is all she needs to signify that they are to regroup back home, under much less scrutiny.

But never let it be said that Juno is utterly ungrateful. She sweeps a curtsy to Ocelevos, and Kael likewise before honey drips from her next, carefully chosen words, "Thank you; this has been the most intriguing of eves for myself, and it is my hope that we may continue to deal business amicably in the future. Until next we meet..."

Artman77
2013-02-10, 01:34 AM
Lord Loss is the first to depart. Master Aaron Malthrenarthiyr begins chanting the phrases to teleport, and places his hand upon Lord Loss' shoulder. A thin black veil of smoke swirls up from the floor and surrounds them, and when it clears they are gone.

"I think I'll stay for a bit, I you don't mind Ocelevos, there are some things I would like to discuss." says Abram.
"Certainly." he replies.
"You are welcome," he says to Ethan upon hearing his thanks, "and you as well, my Lady. James will contact you to get your approval when we have come up with a plan to deal with your thief. Master Aaron will be back in a moment to see you off." He bows to each of you in turn.

Kael smiles politely, bows slightly, and his eyes linger upon Lady Juno as she bids farewell.

dantiesilva
2013-02-10, 01:40 AM
As Master Aaron Malthrenarthiyr himself offers to bring him back to his manor he is honored and happily accepts the gesture. Once back he looks around to see if anyone in is in the main hall. Good no one here. I say to myself as I turn back to Aaron Malthrenarthiyr. Shall you be staying for a short time, or do you have to go back to bring the others? There is still much I would like to discuss with all of you. But I also know I need to show my loyalty to the cause. So if you will give me a few moments I can have a name for you to bring back so hydra knows who I will be striking. I say to the great wizard before me, anxious to see master downstairs.

Artman77
2013-02-10, 01:55 AM
Lord Loss
"I must depart to escort the others. Do you not know the sending spell? Ocelevos himself would surely receive a message from you." The elf looks down his nose at you as you offer your reply. Whether it is because he is prideful, or merely taller than you, you cannot tell.
"Ah, I see. If you would like, I can cast the spell within the hour to receive the target's name. Will that be enough time?"
He then bids you adieu, and disappears in a puff of black smoke.

dantiesilva
2013-02-10, 11:41 AM
Though I myself do not know the spell I know someone that does. I say to the man before me now knowing that though hydra knows alot about us, they do not know everything. An hour should be enough time. Thank you for your time, and I look forward to our next meeting. I say to my guest as I bow to him and wait for him to leave before going down to master.

Once in the celer I begin to unlock the traps my master has in place protecting his lair. Knowing they will only stay unlocked for a short time. Once finished I step inside to his lair and go before him and kneel. Master Arytekothar I have much to tell you. I say to my master as I pull out the spellbook and lay it before him. First off this is the book they gave to me. they also have a room in their headquarters it seems for each member they have. What is most interesting though is who they have as a house wizard, Aaron Malthrenarthiyr. They served us the six headed stag and the golden apple to prove our loyalty. And I did not want to disappoint you and make it seem like we were outright refusing them so I ate from the stag. There were also six people there I recognized, including the smallwing family and the Getar family. I say to my master letting him absorb all of this in. There was also a knight there and a wizard in what looked like that of those of the royal army. Lastly the baroness of kreywood, Juno, and lord Ethar were there. They have asked us to prove our loyalty to them by targeting one of our neighbors that is not of noble blood and calling them a member of the black circle. They say they want to see how many of the group are left. I then pull out the ring of Hydra and place it on top of the spellbook. They also gave us all a ring like this. Sadly I did not have time to identify it as most of the area was under the effects of an anti magic field.

tonberryking
2013-02-11, 12:06 AM
Well.

Once she touches back down in her chambers, Juno slumps. And prays.

Realizing that the sconces in her room need re-fueling, she sighs, and in waning light she carefully arranges the book, purse, and potions into a drawer of the wardrobe...and she carelessly throws her wimple to the floor, letting her spritely blond hair frizz out from behind her ears. Damn thing itches terribly when she's forced to improvise on the playing field of politics, seldom else.

Not removing her sword, nor her overcoat, she stomps out from her chambers calling for attendants; it's well past supper, but not too late to give orders. And to check on that dullard father of hers... The last is handled by a discreet and observant serving woman who nods down at Juno and hurries off. Juno reminds herself to give the woman extra time off later.

Other servants are dispatched to bring her uncles to the study. An inquiry to Bernadette and her new shoes is made to her stablemaster; even the castle's game warden (who is still at times surprised he even has a job) is given the hour of an impromptu appointment with his Baroness. By the time all the orders are carried out, Juno can be found sitting in the castle study, writing a very politely worded message to Lord Adar

One by one she questions her uncles on several matters, largely about what they know of Kael, Qavan, and if any matters concerning neighbors other than the Adars have committed any assinine affronts to the Woodblades while she was... sequestered. You just never know with these things.

With the letter to Adar stamped and sealed, she orders the castle messenger be dispatched at first light before meeting with her head forester.

"I need you to alert all of our woodsmen in the surrounding area, all the guards and troops-- personally-- that within the next few weeks any man or woman, she leaves out child, That is found poaching she uses this term, but what she really means is "over-harvesting the animals" all her men have had this thoroughly explained, "or stealing lumber from Woodblade lands is to be captured, beaten, and brought to me at once."

Finally, she allows herself to speculate, waiting for any other news to be brought to her attention... Sitting at a huge desk, dwarfed by her chair, and letting the size of the study remind her just how physically small her body is, Juno contemplates. Mostly, she ponders and thinks: at this time of the year, where would I easiest find other members of my Druid circle...

Artman77
2013-02-14, 03:37 AM
Lord Loss
You wait patiently at the dark entrance to your master's lair. It is a long time before he comes out to greet you, perhaps half an hour, maybe more. He doesn't usually make you wait this long, and when he does, there is always a good reason for it.
Finally he comes out, the heavy footsteps of his dragon form echoing through the cavern. You smell faint traces of smoke and see that it billows from his nostrils as he steps into the light. He does not look happy.
"Tell me what you have learned of these...heads of hydra!" His voice booms across the cave which now feels quite small now that an ancient wrym stands in it.
"Most interesting indeed," he says, slowly shrinking and transforming into his human self. "Malthrenarthiyr the Black, the Smallwings and the Woodblades. It would seem they are somewhat intimidated by me and are attempting to send me some sort of message. Very interesting. You did well to eat the stag my son, we want them to assume our full cooperation." He smiles wickedly.
He looks down at the ring and spell book before him.
"I will examine the book and the ring, but not within my lair. Leave them at my desk in the study, I will see to them later tonight.
As to the accusations; I know the peasants of Falst are chafing under the authority of your family. The Hellbreathers have also taken up residence there and have opened up a new chapter for their little cult. It seems to me that more than one arrest could be made, and the arrests would serve more than one purpose."
He turns to go back into the depths of his domain, but then pauses a moment.
"Oh, and whatever they request of us, if it is within our power to achieve, we shall do for them. For now..."
And in a second he disappears into the blackness.

Lady Juno
Your prayer is not quite the same as it usually is--you get the feeling of another presence in the room.

Your maidservant and stable master quickly carry out your commands.

Your uncles Louis and Galain arrive within the hour; uncle Yates is indisposed enforcing the law and laboring with the townsfolk, as he is wont to do.
They inform you that the Smallwing family are newcomers to the court; they are dangerous, unpredictable, and power hungry. According to legend they have dragon blood in their veins, and rumor has it the "Lady of Flames" has wed Telmeth Coldheart, esteemed warlord, and Prince of Ish.
Neither of them have heard of Kael or the Vorten family, but they tell you the Mythos province is new and on the fringes of the empire; there may be a great deal of things going on there that no one knows about.
No poachers or thieves have been caught or seen on the property since you left.

Just then uncle Isteven bursts in, the door slamming against the stone wall as he flings it open.
"Where have you been??" he demands, spit flying from his mouth. He is the second oldest of your uncles, but is only 'part of your family' because he married your aunt. His long black and grey beard is disheveled; he must have been pulling at it. "Your father has done it this time!"
What follows is a very heated but short-lived argument which ends abruptly when you bring up one of Isteven's past sins. Ah, you think, He didn't know I knew about that... He calms himself and tells you the same as your other two uncles: No new trespassers or thieves, nothing new about the Nobles in question.
He does however, change the subject.
"I have secured a deal to re-acquire the emerald mine... I humbly request the deeds to the equine farm on the little river and the adjacent property where your grandfathers winter cottage used to be..." A proud grin does nothing to soften his smug expression: He knows that mine was the most profitable of any your family ever owned, and it brought your family to its lowest point when it was seized to pay off your father's debts.

dantiesilva
2013-02-14, 10:53 AM
@Artman only

As Master Arytekothar tells him on how well he has done and that it seems they are trying to build up enough power to hold him in check I remember that Malthrenarthiyr the Black had the power to cast spells in his own field where no magic could work. Master, Malthrenarthiyr seems to also be able to cast spells inside an area that no one else magic is able to work in. He said it was a skill they learned in his years of study. I say to him making sure he knows what they can do. Quavin Smallwing, Nathar Prodius, Abram Getar, Kael Vorten, Ethan Adar, and Juno Woodblade were the ones I knew that were their. It seems the only ones that are in an alliance together are Ethar Adar and Juno Woodblade. I tried worming my way in with Juno but it seems she has her mind set on Ethar. Quavin Smallwing was at best as jumpy as I. And Kael Vorten almost got himself killed once the stag was brought out. All of them took small pieces while I my lord not only took a large piece, but also its heart. Taking its power within me. Juno ate the golden apple, not giving anyone any time to get to it. I say to my master letting him know about the people I knew were there. There was also the one who called himself the head of this district of Hydra, Ocelevos he calls himself. Though I suspect that it is a ruse and that Malthrenarthiyr is the real head and not the house wizard. I finish informing him of all I knew thus far. I believe given time we could get Quavin to join us in an alliance if it was needed. Juno and Ethar seem like a lost cause though at this time. Perhaps after digging in long enough we may be able to get somewhere but it would be very time consuming.

As I hear Master inform me that he will be looking over the spellbook and the ring in his study I nod in understanding. Would you like your normal meal brought to you, or perhaps something special for the occasion? I ask him to make sure he was comfortable in his study. I had made it clear a long time ago that no one were to enter it without his permission reducing the chances of a spy getting away with any useful information. As I am told by him that the peasants in Falst are not happy with my family's rule at this moment and that the Hellbreathers have taken up residence in the area I see exactly what my master is talking about. So take a townsfolk hostage, have him say that the Hellbreathers are in fact the black order under a different name and arrest them under that pretense. Very good master. I shall have it done and will get on my way now. I said to him hoping we had followed the same line of thinking.

Once master retreats into the darkness I return upstairs and leave the book and ring inside his study before heading to the stables telling them to get ready for a trip to Falst in the morning. And with that I go back to town to see how many loyal soldiers I have at my command.

tonberryking
2013-02-18, 09:21 PM
Juno cuts off her uncle Isteven explaining which horse farm he means...

"Hold. Without even going into that matter yet, what has Father done now? Istevan, you cannot just change subjects as you would change your grip on that beard of yours. Where I go to sup is not your concern...and for that matter, why did you not inform me before that you were in talks to require our gemstone hoard? That is precisely something I should have been alerted to before you even started.

Juno steeples her hands under her chin, not giving Istevan an inch as she lashes out questions and directions.

Artman77
2013-02-27, 01:23 AM
Lord Loss
"Excellent." Says your master upon hearing what you have to say. "Be wary of this Kael person. He may get himself killed, and you as well, if you are not careful. Invite Qavin to our home at the first reasonable opportunity so that your family and his may become better acquainted." He pauses for a moment to think on what he would like to eat.
"I will have my usual meal; double the meat. I have worked up an appetite this day. You are dismissed." He gives a curt nod, as if irritated, and then turns quickly and strides back into the depths of his lair.

The stable master tells you all will be ready before the sun rises. You butler prepares your things that night and says that your squire, Gwain, is already packed and ready to go with you; you need only to say the word.

Almost all of the soldiers and city guard of Highmount have been drafted and sent to north to defend the empire's borders. Your family's personal guard is busy guarding the manor, since recent events have put the household on lockdown. Between the extra city guard not currently on patrol, your personal bodyguards, and your family's weapons master and his students, you can muster up 30 men.

(OOC: Falst is under the Von Cleft's jurisdiction; the city guard there will obey your commands unless it is in direct violation of Imperial Law...)

dantiesilva
2013-02-27, 01:41 AM
As Master expresses many of the concerns I myself had about Sir Kael I believe my judgement is sound in not forming an alliance with him. At least not yet. Though I also would not act against him. Instead I would wait like the spider and see what my prey can do. Ah yes Quavin Smallwing. I shall have a message sent to his estate as soon as possible to have him join us in say a week from now, perhaps 2. That way we can settle things in Falst and then continue with infiltrating this organization. I say to my master with a smile. And I will have it done for you as well. I say addressing his feeding for the day.

As I go to the stable and inform them of what I plan on doing I make them well aware I will not be leaving until later in the night. Saying I had a few unfinished things to accomplish before leaving. As I walked to my my study I began counting how many soldiers I could muster to go with me to Falst. 30 would be to many for something that would need finesse. And with the town guard there I could easily incorporate them into my own forces while there. With that in mind I decided to take my squire along with two of my best men. Thinking I would need more protection from ranged opponents then close combat I also decide to bring 4 archers with me. Bringing the total up to 9 with my knights squires. Lastly I try to think of a good thief and cutthroat in the city that is trustworthy enough and if possible well known with my family to make sure I can get all the information I can.

[roll0] Local knowledge of Highmount to see if I know any such person that is trustworthy in the terms that he will not break his contract.

Coming to the final conclusion I make the last few steps to my study in silence and begin writing my letter to Lord Quavin.

Artman77
2013-03-13, 12:13 PM
Lady Juno
After your lengthy meeting with your Uncles is concluded, you recline in your chair to ponder where you might find a druid's circle. They have been quite reclusive as of late. However, the spring thaw is on, so they could be by the winding river, or perhaps one of the nearby ponds.

Just then your accountant walks in, bowing briefly before setting a stack of books and papers on your desk.
"His Majesty's taxes are almost due, and we have not enough gold in the coffers to pay them and our own woodsmen." he says anxiously as he spreads out the papers before you.

His statement comes as a painful reminder that the woodsmen have yet to be paid. You look at the papers looking for some sort of relief, but they offer none. The numbers offer no relief. Your lands yielded less crops last year than they did the year before, and the storehouses are all but empty. You thank the gods that winter is over and spring is speedily on it's way and pray that a late frost doesn't kill your crops as it did last year. Production of lumber and bricks are down, and other minor exports haven't grown enough to make much profit...

You have enough money to pay the Emperor's taxes, but not much more. You begin to think of what you will say to Eric, your head woodsmen. He is a good and honest man, and has gotten the woodsmen under him to work for lower wages as a favor to you. That was two years ago. He seems to have lost weight since the last shipment of lumber was sent down river. You suspect it is because he is eating less so there is more for his wife and son.

While the accountant yet waits for your answer, a young servant boy comes barging in! He stops abruptly to compose himself, and bows low.
"Master Eric has caught some of the thieves hiding in the woods, Milady!"

Lord Loss
After sending for your weapons master and bowmen, you spend a few moments pondering the cutthroats you have heard mention of, wondering which of them would be trustworthy: None. Perhaps with the exception of Durgadden, but he hasn't been seen since he left for Souel over a year ago. Perhaps he is dead. The only thing to be done is gather up your troops and go looking for one. Fortunately, you know of some places in town where one might be found.

No sooner do your troops arrive to do your bidding than you hear a stern voice in your head:
"It has been an hour, Ocelevos would like to know the name of your target."

dantiesilva
2013-03-14, 09:56 AM
As if on cue I hear the voice of the black wizard come into my head and with a smile I say plain and simply My target's are the Hell breathers. They have set up shop in one of my cities and I shall be eliminating them. At this very moment I am already mobilizing. As he says this to the black wizard he looks to his men. It is time to move out and get us someone who knows what the worth of gold is. And with that I, along with my troops head to town.

tonberryking
2013-03-20, 09:56 PM
Interrupted, thankfully and wordlessly excusing herself from the accountant, Juno hastily gathers herself up and with her hood tugged over her forehead, she cordially greets Master Eric, asking after him as if there was not a more pressing matter at hand.

"Good Sir Eric, it's been too long. Your vigilance this day shall not go unrewarded; I'll see to it personally." she gives the accountant a meaningful look before instructing other guardsmen to prepare to move "the other prisoners" at her command...

OOC, what's the total that she owes the woodsmen in GP?

Artman77
2013-03-25, 10:01 AM
Lord Ethan
Just as one wakes from a strange dream, the black haze of teleportation fades away, and you are back home in your manor. Malthrenarthiyr the Black was skilled enough to teleport you to the room of your choosing, to avoid the meddlesome questioning by certain family members your sudden and strange reappearance would solicit.

Once your newly acquired 'gifts' are taken care of, you return to your office and call for Gawain, your most trusted knight, Feldarin, captian of the guard, as well as your tailor and librarian. It is time for some answers.

Lord Loss
Peasants bow before you and your men as you ride through the city streets, your maroon banners flapping in the wind. The sunlight glints off of your steed's silver barding, belying the cold temperature of the air. Though spring is fast approaching, it has not yet reached the large mountain city of Highmount.

After greeting some of your subjects and purchasing some silvered weapons from a local blacksmith, you visit the Duelist's Club, at which you are well known. Conversations here are light and superficial; lesser nobles posture, glad-hand, and jockey for position. Gathering what information you can, you take your leave of the place and head back home.

You invite your men to sup with you, the meal is good and hearty. Your servants pack your bags and prepare your mounts for the journey ahead. A light snow falls from the sky and blankets the ground, which turns from a glistening white to a pale blue as the sun finally sinks behind the western ridge.

Lady Juno
By the time the conversation with your uncles is over and the accountant is excused, Burnadette has been shod. The ride to the lumberyard is the smoothest it's ever been. Bernadette seems as if she is running on air.
As you thunder through the woods you notice patches of dead grass and an odd black growth creeping up the sides of the trees.

Eric wastes no time leading you to where the guardsmen stand in a semicircle around the prisoners bound and waiting. Their faces are covered with bruises and fresh blood.
The thieves are a pair of middle aged men and a half-orc. They are scruffy, dirty, and stink to the heavens. Their gear and weapons are common and show heavy use and they wear nondescript clothing.

No sooner do you see them, and they you, than the smallest of the three begins begging for mercy.
"It's not my fault! I didn't want to, they forced me! You have to let me go! Please!" As he speaks, you see anger begin to rise in the other man, his face turning red.
"You have to help me, they are going to kill my son, MY SON! I swear to you! Please! Please!! Sir Bra--"
"SHUT UP!" the other man bellows, spit flying from his lips. The veins throb in his forehead. "Shut up! Your snot-nosed-boy is already dead, the only reason we aren't also is because we have information they want! Keep your mouth shut!" He glares at you and clenches his jaw, preparing for whatever might come next.
The half-orc remains silent and stares at the ground.

dantiesilva
2013-03-25, 11:03 PM
Knowing full well what the next day brings after super I retire to my room and go to sleep for the night, for in the morning we rode, with or without an agent we would find out all the information we needed to once we arrived inside the city. All Falsts secrets being revealed in time.

Artman I am going to let the others catch up so that we are all at least on the same day of the week.

dantiesilva
2013-03-28, 10:18 PM
As Lord loss sleeps dreams of conquest and riches on told fill his mind. Images of vast armies for him to command, all mighty and powerful wizards. And lastly the image of a dragon and a creature known for its arcane might and refusal to go into the void great him. Looking down once more away from the dragon and creature riding atop of it he looks at the castle like structure built into the very tallest mountains in his part of the empire, where the temperature was never higher then 0 degrees. The arcane power that radiated off of this structure was great, but was even more grand was his families seal on the large steel doors that were shut.

And as his dreams went deeper a smile came across his human like face as he slept as he saw what he believed to be a prophecy of the future. If only he played his cards right all would fear Lord Loss and his master who ruled the frozen tundras to the North.

When Lord loss awoke the next morning it was a nice cold day. The snow had fallen and its bitter grasp had not elft the lands yet. Getting up quickly he went to his master to make sure all things would be taken care of while he was gone, and once finished with that task went down to the main hall and sent a maid to go gather the others who he had requested to join him on his trip to Falst. Once all were before him he made his way to the stables.

It is time to go and crush all those who would disobey the orders of our king. Those who we are going to hunt down are former members of the black circle. I ask that each of you be very careful and if at all possible to not let them even speak for their very words could take control of your minds and turn you against the king. At this time we are thee to see if they have control of the town and if so to free it from their grasp. Is this understood? I ask my men from atop Snow who has been prepared for the many day travels well will be about to be traveling in frigid weather. Once all are ready I begin to lead my men towards Falst. The royal seal of my family flapping behind my noble mare as we go, my two bowmen are to the left and right side of me, while my weapons master is behind with a lance in hand, and a shield strapped to his back. All of us are ready for battle as we know the tundra between here and Falst though safe, still holds its own dangers from bandits and creatures alike. Epically the accursed snow people who seemed to come out of nowhere and attack unaware caravans and disappear just as quickly.

Sorry Artman got sick of waiting...After all its been what 2 weeks since the last post. Hope you enjoy and don't mind I put a little backstory into the ecology of the roads and some of the dangers we could face on the open road.