PDA

View Full Version : Sleuths of Sharn OOC



Gildedragon
2013-01-09, 01:45 AM
Sleuths of Sharn IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267095)

Couple of things:

Try to make your rolls in spoilers in your main post, after the roleplay text.
If you make a mistake, roll here.
All ooc matters go here.

Couple of House Rules & Variants (new items are in blue):

Non-Eberron Deities are allowed (but Eberron divinity rules apply: no alignment restrictions, no direct divine interaction)
Contacts +1 at level 1
Taint Rules (HoH)
Organizations and Affiliations
Item Crafting: no XP cost
Once a class-skill, always a class skill
Skills Merged


Disable Device (Int): Open Lock + Disable Device
Perception (Wis): Spot + Listen
Survival (Wis): Heal + Survival
Sneak (Dex): Move Silently + Hide

The Healing subschool is in necromancy
New Feat:
Examine before Activating:
Prerequisite: Kn. Arcana 5 Ranks, Spellcraft 3 Ranks
Benefit: You gain Use Magic Device as a Class skill, you may substitute your Int modifier for your Cha modifier when making use of this skill

okay? So let's get cracking:

Dramatis Personae

{table=head]Player|Character|Race|Class|Affiliation|Status
Ellisandre|Erna (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=484891)|Shifter|Ranger|Sharn City Watch|
Artman77|Prometheus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=485651)|Warforged|Paladin|TB A|AFK
Visturon|Rykon (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=65750)|Were Swarm|Soulknife|Aristocracy|
Hoverfrog|Pen ir'Embrace (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=499290)|Changeling|Illusioni st-Transmuter|Morgrave University/Guild of Starlight and Shadows|
Postmodernist|Dzrug (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=518290)|Goblin|Anima Mage|Sharn City Watch/Guild of Starlight and Shadows|
Starbin|Alistair Hassledorf (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=303102)|Dwarf|Rogue-Cleric|Morgrave University/Church of the Sovereign Host
[/table]

Relevant NPCs
{table=head]Name|PC Relation|Affiliation|Contact Type|Misc
Lady Elishandra|Rykon|Aristocracy|Influence?|
Essel Hmar|Pen|Press|-|Works for the Sharn Inquisitive
Halfling Urchin|Prometheus|Ganglet|-|Ear out for happenings in Little Plains
Ilna Atreli|-|?|-|Witness. Elf servant for one of the families living around the crime scene, found body in the early morning
Tiromanus|-|Church of Wee Jas|Skill|Necromancer and Biologist
Iso|-|Church of Wee Jas|-|Acolyte
Andara|-|Church of Wee Jas|Skill|Cleric, can cast speak with dead
"Sticky finger" Rickey|Prometheus|Crime|Information|Can Procure Blackmarket Goods
Bart Progriffin|Prometheus|Self|Information|Occasional Free Rides
Gnome|-|?|?|Dead
Wilhelmina "Mina" d'Lyrandar|Pen|House Lyrandar|Skill|Artist, Performer, Least Mark of Storm (fog cloud)
Jack Heart|Rykon|House Phiarlan|Information-Influence|"Bard", Info on events, weddings, and high-up gossip
Frog|Alistair|Boromar Clan|Information-Skill|Warforged fence, smuggler, and ear to the ground. Highly anti-slavery. His damaged jaw has him unable to pronounce fricatives, making Rivet into Ribet, earning him his nickname|
Lt. Rugan Arahsbrood |Alistair/Erna|Sharn City Watch/Ex-Daask|Influence|Lieutenant in the Sharn City Watch (Sword Point Garrison)|
?|Dzrug|?|?|?|
?|Erna|?|?|?|
[/table]

Join-able Associations (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14591109&postcount=34) a work in progress

Gildedragon
2013-01-09, 01:47 AM
First to klutz it up is me, naturally

Journalist initiative:
[roll0]

Ellisande
2013-01-09, 02:23 AM
Initiative already? Crap! (Especially against a 21)

ETA: See IC thread.

Initiative [roll0]

Gildedragon
2013-01-09, 02:25 AM
Elli. This is the OOC. For IC go to the other one. Good though.
And hey, it makes sense to have init right off the bat. The reporter got the drop on you, and you can talk, fight, or ignore your way past him.

One last thing. I figure then that Erna reported the body-dumping crime earlier to higher ups, thus she is now returning to fully examine the murder scene.

Artman77
2013-01-09, 01:10 PM
for initiative:
[roll0]

Artman77
2013-01-10, 01:31 AM
Bah! leave it to the very first post to botch adding-in the rolls

Spot check to notice anyone looking suspicious:
[roll0]

Sense Motive to read the intent of anyone flagged as evil by detect evil:
[roll1]

Artman77
2013-01-10, 01:38 AM
Also a quick and dirty search check on the crime scene:
[roll0]
Will probably be taking a 20 later if nothing turns up right away...

Gildedragon
2013-01-10, 02:19 AM
Can I get links to your char sheets? Also isn't Prometheus member of the watch?

Ellisande
2013-01-10, 08:39 PM
The links I have are:

Erna (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=484891)
Prometheus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=485651)
Rykon (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=65750), though I seem to have mislaid the link to his were-form.

Rykon's are the format you said were trouble on your mobile; I don't know if he ever updated them.

Artman77
2013-01-10, 11:34 PM
Nope, Prometheus didn't feel comfortable applying to be a member of the watch being the only war-forged, and now that he's used to being a roaming-the-streets-do-gooder, he kinda likes it. Also the freedom of not having a schedule lets him make friends with commoners and build a network of contacts/informants...

Gildedragon
2013-01-14, 10:46 PM
I'm assuming you take 20 in searching the scene.
27 from Erna, 20 Prometheus

Gildedragon
2013-01-17, 03:05 AM
I'd do the rolling for most things (as the check is supposed to be secret). But your character should IC spend time analyzing the clue. That is, examination of it is not an immediate act. A place with lenses, good bright light, and tranquility (such as a lab) would give a masterwork or more bonus to the examination

Gildedragon
2013-01-22, 04:21 AM
One thing, I didn't notice before, clue-searching can't be taken 10 with because of their volatile nature. For prometheus's post it'll be allowed, just for future reference.

hoverfrog
2013-01-22, 06:53 AM
Hi, Guigarci has invited me to join in.

I'm playing Pen ir'Embrace (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=499290), Changeling wizard specialist and master of languages and ancient texts. He doesn't advertise his race and is currently assuming the form of a human male, Pendrick Embrace.

I haven't rolled my hit points yet: [roll0]

Dark Green for speech, italics for thoughts and small text for whispers. Unless it's taken already?

Pen ir'Embrace (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=499290)
Male Neutral Changeling Wizard (Substitution), Level 4, Init +3, HP 27/27, Speed 30
AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 10, Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +6, Base Attack Bonus +2
Dagger +1 (1d4+1, 19-20/2)
(+3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 17, Wis 14, Cha 16
Condition None
Lingua - Weasel Familiar
Size/Type: Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 2 d8 (13 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-12
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d3-4)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d3-4)
Space/Reach: 2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Attach
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 5
Skills: Balance +12, Climb +10, Escape Artist +4,
Hide +11, Move Silently +8, Spot +3
Feats: Agile, Weapon FinesseB

Gildedragon
2013-01-22, 11:26 PM
Heya'll. I was wondering what people'd make of using Rich's Diplomacy Rules? Seeing as how this is a talk-heavy game, I figure they may be adequate, but because of their changes to DC's and such I want to fly this by you first.

Gildedragon
2013-01-23, 06:46 AM
How is Pen headed to the University District: on foot or flight?

Foot or other land-based travel is 3d6x5 min, flight would be 1d6x5 min and 1 sp's cost if you hire a skycoach

hoverfrog
2013-01-23, 07:27 AM
If it's under 30 minutes he'll walk, otherwise he'll get a coach.

No objections to using Rich's Diplomacy rules BTW

Visturon
2013-01-23, 10:05 AM
Sorry about the delay all, I've been off wandering around Europe.

Artman77
2013-01-23, 10:30 AM
I like that the rule expansion would make diplomacy more specific, but seeing as how Diplomacy is like my only skill in a rp-heavy game, it makes it a bit more damaging for my character. If I was a bard or rogue I wouldn't really care, you know?

Visturon
2013-01-23, 10:52 AM
Rykon has no investigative abilities aside from Spot and Listen, he is a combat build but has the RP value of being able to get outsiders among the nobility.

Sheets:
Human Form (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=65750)
Swarm Form (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=65804)

Gildedragon
2013-01-23, 02:34 PM
[roll0]x5
Plus a Gather Info check to find your way (cut travel time in half) [roll1]

25 min

Gildedragon
2013-01-23, 02:39 PM
Prometheus, same question I asked Pen: how do you get from A-B
Pick one and roll, DC 15 kn local or gather info to cut time in half, representing mastery of the streets and lifts or willingness to ask directions.
Pick one and roll

Gildedragon
2013-01-23, 03:49 PM
Hallo fellas so one last thing; keep in mind that you have contacts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/contacts.htm) (treat soulknife as fighter for this)
I figure out, as well, that those of you ought to get one related to your character's membership in organizations:
Rykon with Aristocrats or some other High-Class enterprise (the maitre d' of some skyway restaurant for example)
Pen with the University
Erna with some lawkeeping org (Watch, Citadel) crime org or government group
not too sure what for Prometheus, but I was thinking a smith in the cogs

If you have ideas as to what you'd like your contacts to be let me know.
note that the as-you-level contacts dont need to be defined until you need them; but let me know if you intend to use them.

As an aside, maybe ya'll should invest in some "ear rings of the wolf" 2000gp a piece, sending stones, rings of communication or some method of communication

Visturon
2013-01-23, 07:27 PM
Rykon's current contact is a fellow noble, the Lady Elishandra, whom is an influence contact residing in the Upper Central Plateau's Mithral Towers District. She is a half elf, her father the head of a very wealthy human noble family and her mother from a slightly less wealthy elven noble family.

On a side note, Rykon's family also resides in the Upper Central Plateau but in the Platinum Heights District.

hoverfrog
2013-01-24, 04:24 AM
No contacts for the wizard until next level :smallsigh:

Gildedragon
2013-01-24, 04:42 AM
You all are getting an extra one.

hoverfrog
2013-01-24, 12:43 PM
You all are getting an extra one.Yay! :smallsmile:

Pen feels the need for skilled person of note in the art world, someone who can perform repairs on equipment and provide otherwise esoteric details about forgotten artefacts. Wilhelmina "Mina" d'Lyrander is such an artist, an Artificer and resident of Sharn but more importantly someone who finds out all sorts of obscure facts that she tries to build into her art. Her art is considered "modern" and a bit out there.

Artman77
2013-01-25, 12:02 AM
Skycoach.

As far as contacts go; Both information.
My first would be Rickey, aka "Sticky finger Rickey" an ex con-man, pickpocket, and ex black market aficionado. Prometheus saved his life and gave him a wake-up call so Rickey turned his life around and gives him the "word on the streets".

A second contact? Skycoah driver. Bartholomew Progriffin. He's been a driver for a long time and has worked every part of the city, so he knows it like the back of his hand. He asks if Prometheus needs a ride whenever he sees him because he knows he tips well. Bart has let him ride for free a few times, knowing that he is honest and will pay double the next time.

Gildedragon
2013-01-25, 12:23 AM
No crafter for healing and upgrades? I think a craftsman would be beneficial to you, since you got no ranks in craft.

Gildedragon
2013-01-25, 12:25 AM
prometheus travel time

[roll0]*5
Gather info: [roll1]
Kn. Local: [roll2]

Artman77
2013-01-25, 01:47 AM
Sorry, but most of the games I played were mid-to-low magic. No magic taxis or telephones, no pseudo-guns, no drivers licenses or badges. Nobility and royalty had papers tracing bloodlines and signet rings for sealing envelopes, but that was pretty much it.

Does everyone carry identification?

Gildedragon
2013-01-25, 02:06 AM
Ah eberron is pretty high magic.
ID is pretty common. 10gp for identification papers

Ellisande
2013-01-25, 02:23 AM
We get a bonus contact? Well, then...

As far as Erna's contact goes, I'm actually picturing someone in the underworld, a sketchy character who Erna respects (and believes isn't actively harming the community). Perhaps a smuggler who ran food or medicine during the war... But I'll intentionally leave it vague as long as possible.

Gildedragon
2013-01-25, 06:55 AM
Associations (Still working on them, doing them as it is convenient and I figure out benefits for them)

City Watch
{table=head]Criteria|Affiliation Score Modifier
Expertise & Power|+1/2 level
Warforged, Shifter, Changeling|-2
Lawful Alignment|+4
5+ years in the Watch|+2
10+ years in the Watch|+4
Immigrated to Sharn|-1
Immigrated to Breland|-4
Family in Sharn for 20+ years|+3
Has taken down a dangerous criminal|+1/4 the CR
Has family in the Watch|+4
5+ ranks in Intimidate or Sense Motive|+1
5+ ranks in Search or Gather Information|+1
5+ ranks in Knowledge (Local)|+1
10+ ranks in Intimidate or Sense Motive|+2
10+ ranks in Search or Gather Information|+2
Has been caught taking bribes|-4
Is known to take bribes|+4
Has a criminal record|-2
[/table]

{table=head]Affiliation Score|Title| Benefits
0+|Watchman|Can use Kn. (Local) untrained to assess legality
1-5|Constable|+2 to Knowledge (Local) on Sharn
6-9|Officer|+2 to Intimidate/Gather-Information within the city
11-20|Detective|Your salary increases to 100 gp/month
21-24|Lieutenant|Have use of a small platoon of the city watch (4-6)
25-29|Captain|Claim audience with the City Council or Mayor within 1d6 days 1/month
30+|Commander of the Sharn Watch| -we can figure this out later-, Enforce laws?
[/table]

Morgrave University
{table=head]Criteria|Affiliation Score Modifier
Expertise & Power|+1/2 level
Int 12 or Higher|+1/2 per point of Int modifier
Cha 13 or Higher|+1/2
Multilingual | +1 per 4 languages spoken
Age Category Middle Aged or Higher|+1, +1/2 per 50 years (100 years for elves)
Has Completed Studies at a Center of Learning|+5
Has Undertaken a Research Project for the University|+1 each
Knowledge (any) / Spellcraft / Decipher Script 5+ ranks|+1/2 each
Knowledge (any) / Spellcraft / Decipher Script 10+ ranks|+1 each
Knowledge (any) / Decipher Script 20+ Modifier|+2 each
Has 1000+gp's Worth of Scholarly Texts|+2
Has Been on an Expedition to Xen'drik|+1
Has Owned an Significant Magic Item/Antiquity|+1/20000gp's worth
Has Donated Items of Learning to the University|+1/2000gp's worth
Lacks Training in 3 Knowledge Skills|-2
Has Stolen from a Member of the University|-2
Has Destroyed a Significant Magic Item/Antiquity|-1/10000gp's worth
[/table]


{table=head]Affiliation Score|Title| Benefits| Duties
0-4|Student|Can access grounds
5-10|Researcher|+2 to Knowledge checks while accessing University resources|Must publish a minor academic paper, can be aided by others
11-15|Master|Requisition a rare non-magical text or 1st level scroll|Must publish an academic paper alone
16-18|Lecturer|+2 to Diplomacy checks with members of scholarly institutions|Must lead a research expedition
19-22|Doctor|+2 to 1/Knowledge check per hour spent accessing University resources|Must answer academic questions regularly (3 per month)
23-26|Professor|Form friendship with head of allied affiliation/young green or brass dragon|Publish a paper that revolutionizes a field of knowledge
26-29|Dean of Department|1/month Borrow one item of up to 15,000gp from University Vaults for 2d4 days|Must handle research mishaps of department at least 1/month
30+|University Chancellor|<TBA>|Cut-throat academia; murder plots abound, discover or face an assassination attempt
[/table]

Unfinished/Planned past this point
Esoteric Order of Aureon (Wizard Circle)WIP

Guild of Starlight and Shadows (Wizard Circle)WIP

King's CitadelWIP

Dragonmarked HousesWIP

Church of the Silver FlameWIP

Wayfinder FoundationWIP

AristocracyWIP

The AurumWIP

Visturon
2013-01-28, 04:13 PM
Back from Spain, should be posting regularly now.

Gildedragon
2013-01-28, 05:35 PM
Cool. Hope it was fun.

Visturon
2013-01-28, 05:40 PM
It was a blast and I bought a new sword directly from the maker in Toledo.

Gildedragon
2013-01-29, 01:25 PM
On angle: the blow seems to have gone in upwards into the body. This would allude to a small attacker, though it could also be a kneeling or shrunk medium. The size of the wound indicates short sword (small) or a dagger (medium). Without the body it is hard to tell

On sapphires: Approx 900gp each

On dagger: identifying the residue on the blade will need an alchemy check. The spouted beaker gives a +10 to identifying liquids; provided you can activate the magical device. The well laboratory is well stocked with alchemical tools and reagents, granting a +4 to alchemy checks.

Visturon
2013-01-29, 01:45 PM
How many sapphires are there?

Gildedragon
2013-01-29, 02:31 PM
3 sapphires with asterism.

hoverfrog
2013-01-29, 03:47 PM
3 sapphires with asterism.We've found two sapphires. :smallbiggrin:

Gildedragon
2013-01-29, 04:09 PM
???... Oh I get it. You may want to SoH or Hide it.
For a moment there you had me wondering if I had misreported (a lot of my notes are in variable terms (such as 1d4+1 gems)

As to poison: the dagger is; a lot of the alchemical reagents are too

hoverfrog
2013-01-29, 04:16 PM
???... Oh I get it. You may want to SoH or Hide it.
For a moment there you had me wondering if I had misreported (a lot of my notes are in variable terms (such as 1d4+1 gems)

As to poison: the dagger is; a lot of the alchemical reagents are tooNo, Pen isn't a thief but it's typical PC behaviour to just take wealth and keep it. Honest, I was only joking.

Gildedragon
2013-01-29, 04:23 PM
I see. Hahaha.
It is very crafty.
For future reference, one may be advised to Pm me of any attempts to "lift" an object. ;D

Gildedragon
2013-01-29, 04:37 PM
Oh yeah Hover, there are 2 wizard orgs in eberron:
Esoteric Order of Aureon: LG, traditionalists, require all spells cast by them serve Good. allied with the Church of Silver Flame
And
Guild of Starlight and Shadows: TN, less traditional, require a 25% surcharge for no-questions-asked spellcasting.
Both of them have fees which'd be folded into your treasure, should you join either or both (each under a different identity)

Gildedragon
2013-01-30, 09:33 AM
There are two big differences between the gnome in the image and the one you saw in the catacombs: the image has a beard and ruddy brown hair. The one on the slab was gray and with a shaved beard.
But otherwise, the nose, the features, the eyes and brows are all a match.

hoverfrog
2013-01-30, 10:38 AM
Is it possible to take the image in the identification papers and put the image of the dead man (once Pen has had a look at him) up side by side with Silent image so we can get a better look at the differences and similarities. I mean are we talking about a racial similarity between them, a family resemblance or a just that the portrait might be a decade out of date and he hasn't aged well? Or could he have altered his appearance deliberately to disguise himself?

Gildedragon
2013-01-30, 11:14 AM
Yes that is squarely in the realm of possibility.
Hover I'd like to know if Pen is a member of either of the mage circles so as to stat out their association benefits.

Visturon
2013-01-30, 11:44 AM
Rykon's second contact is Jack Heart a middle aged human Bard (non-magical NPC Expert who plays music and tells stories) that manages to work vast numbers of balls, banquets, and parties thrown by the upper class of Sharn. His information is in the ins and outs of house relationships from who is supposed to marry who to who wants to kill who to who is making business deals with who.

hoverfrog
2013-01-30, 02:02 PM
Yes that is squarely in the realm of possibility.
Hover I'd like to know if Pen is a member of either of the mage circles so as to stat out their association benefits.Sorry, I thought they were just options. Of the two the Guild of Starlight and Shadows would be my preference. I don't mind the Silver Flame but they can be a bit... overzealous at times.

Gildedragon
2013-01-30, 04:41 PM
they are options; if you don't want either its cool. I just need a clear answer

hoverfrog
2013-01-30, 06:07 PM
I'd like to know more. Are these like affiliations or do I get anything out of being a member?

Gildedragon
2013-01-30, 06:25 PM
you get:
20% discount on spellcasting services purchased through them
10% discount on item creation and spell component purchases
Access to their libraries to copy spells (at 1/2 the cost of a scroll of that spell)
You have a storefront by which you can sell your spells (with a 10% cut going to the order)

Esoteric Order specializes in abjuration, divination, evocation, transmutation, and universal spells
Guild of Starlight and Shadows specializes in conjuration, enchantment, illusion,
transmutation, and universal

This'd be compounded with a variety of affiliation benefits.

hoverfrog
2013-01-31, 04:35 AM
Illusion and transmutation sound good to me though conjuration is of no use as it's one of my prohibited schools. The Guild of Starlight and Shadows is my preference.

Gildedragon
2013-01-31, 03:58 PM
Cool.

Spellcraft Results:Wall of Iron, Fire Trap, Arcane Lock all use gold dust; generally material components are consumed into the spell, leaving little behind.

hoverfrog
2013-02-05, 05:34 AM
I'm guessing that there's been some kind of sporting event that has served as a distraction recently? :smallcool:

Gildedragon
2013-02-05, 12:59 PM
Hoverfrog, a separate Spellcraft check is needed to identify the pin DC 16
the matrix is for a feather fall charm, now expended
Or a kn. Local 10
It looks like a spent feather-fall talisman

Also, Artman may be out of the game for a while, would you 3 like me to put out a call for an extra player?

hoverfrog
2013-02-06, 04:43 AM
As we've just started really that might be best. A rogue or artificer would be great. I've been in a couple of aborted games with Wiz (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=28872) who loves Eberron and playing artificers.

Gildedragon
2013-02-06, 06:13 AM
New recruitment thread is past this link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14660380)

Feel free to have Wiz look into it

Visturon
2013-02-07, 04:28 AM
That autopsy is proving to be interesting, to bad Rykon didn't tag along to ask a few questions.

Gildedragon
2013-02-07, 04:34 AM
What's he up to; it can be as fascinating or informative.

Visturon
2013-02-07, 05:04 AM
Lord Rykon is continuing to go through the gnomes effects, I would have rolled for it but you said before that you cannot take 20 on an investigation roll and I rolled a twenty on my previous search. If continued searching with more time helps though I'll take 20. If not use the below:

Search [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Listen [roll2]

Gildedragon
2013-02-07, 05:51 AM
Guys remember: spot and listen are one same skill (Perception [wis])

From the first OP:

Skills Merged


Disable Device (Int): Open Lock + Disable Device
Perception (Wis): Spot + Listen
Survival (Wis): Heal + Survival
Sneak (Dex): Move Silently + Hide

Gildedragon
2013-02-13, 03:14 PM
The calculations are reasonable. Tokens are made at CL1 and last 1 round.
If it were a custom made object, however, it could be a more robust charm but the make doesn't suggest anything out of the common.

Note: Prometheus had found traces of sand on Pteria Street; he would have informed you of this.

Visturon
2013-02-20, 10:34 AM
Forgot to put it in my last post: Spot for anything that would help Rykon identify sand of the same origin or nature. [roll0]

Gildedragon
2013-02-20, 04:47 PM
Walking to adjacent ward:
[roll0]x5

I've found a pair of new players, both academically minded, a goblin binder and a dwarf cleric.

Starbin
2013-02-26, 02:14 PM
Just for the record, I think both Postmodern and I are ready when you are ... do you need us to post characters or anything, Guigarci?

Gildedragon
2013-02-26, 02:32 PM
That'd be nice actually. Sorry for the slow going.
Post characters, we can talk your contacts

Postmodernist
2013-02-27, 12:18 AM
Introducing Dzrug (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=518290) the goblin Anima Mage. He's got a smidgen of gold left over, so I might buy him a wand, but he's otherwise finished. I'll be catching up on the thread this week.

Starbin
2013-02-27, 12:27 AM
Here we go! Introducing Alistair Hasseldorf (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=303102), cloistered cleric of the Sovereign Host ... and former ne'er-do-well.

Background: Alistair sat back, rubbing his eyes for a moment. He had just finished writing the abstract for his research paper, "The Scientific Use of Hemomancy, and its Applications to Arcane Locating." He chuckled to himself for a moment, wondering if the senior professors would appreciate the oxymoronic title, or if they would simply take it at face value. Setting his pens down, he stood and stretched for a moment, walking across his room to the open window and listening through the iron bars. Come nightfall, he would be greeted with the sounds of various revelers in Downstairs wafting to his ears, but at midday the taverns of the area were practically a ghost town. He smiled to himself again, know that at his age he probably should have remained in Forgelight Towers. But to live there was to accept an almost retirement like quiet for the throbbing pulse of the Lower Menthis Plateau's heart. Besides, remaining here made the extra work with the constabuary easier, due to its connection to the 'questionable' elements of the area.

After a few moments, he turned and limped back to his desk, sitting down heavily with a hiss of pain. Rubbing his hip helped a little, but he had long ago given up hope that he would be free of pain from the old wound. As he checked to see if the ink had dried yet, Alistair found himself remember days long ago ...

Early in the war, a group of refugees had arrived in Sharn, among its number more than two dozen children who's parents had been lost. One of them, a blue-eyed dwarf who never spoke of what happened to his father and mother, found himself looking up at the City of Towers with wonder. Even in the midst of his pent-up sorrow, the dwarf felt a small seed of hope take route in his heart ... hope that perhaps the future would hold great things for him. With his first smile in weeks (or rather, without the normal scowl he carried), the dwarf entered the city, sure that his luck had turned.

Unfortunately, he was immediately disabused of such nonsense, as he was shuffled off to an orphanage and left to fend for himself. As with most of the orphanages on the lower levels of Sharn, this one served as a breeding ground for new talent amongst the guilds of ill-repute. The dwarven lad, who went by the name of Stump because he wouldn't reveal his true name, had a head for learning and letters, was quickly pulled into the Young Rogues Academy, a self-titled group of youths that sought to make a name for themselves with the major thieves guilds. Dabbling in everything from begging to pick-pocketing to forgery to larceny, Stump learned a number of skills that served many purposes ... but most with a nefarious bent. He tried to spend as much time as hecould in Great Library as he could, trying to quench his thirst of knowledge. However, his mates wanted his education for other reason, and he became the local expert in forgery. Soon, he was embroiled in a number of scams and schemes, each more daring and bold than the next.

It was during one particularly risky job that Stump was actually one of the leg men, slipping into the University to place a fake promisary note within one of the vaults. While physically gifted, and confident to a fault, the young thieves were not equipped to deal with the magical wards on the vault, and the job was quickly thrown into disarray. During their getaway, Stump was stunned by one of the warding spells, and fell from a two story window, breaking his hip in two places. The old priest found him trying to crawl away into the bushes, and he was taken to the authorities. While his station in life didn't warrant magical healing, he was at least cared for enough to regain some motion in his legs, albeit at a slower pace. His confinement changed his life by two disconnected events. The first was that by never giving up his associates he earned both respect and absolution from the local ne'er-do-wells. Over the course of a couple of months of interrogation and interviews, he never provided any names of his accomplices, which went a long way with the underbelly of the region.

Second, the priest who had found him recognized him from his time in the library, and in a fit of benevolence, removed his complaint and allowed young Stump to go free - pending an interview. At the interview, he found the dwarf to be an intelligent, if somewhat unfocused, young man, and decided that he might deserve another chance at making his way into the world.

Stump was released to the custody of Father Cristoph, who brought him to the Church of the Sovereign Host. In the exacting environment of the Church, he learned discipline, as well as a great deal about a number of subjects that had always interested him. Over time, he was apprenticed to the church librarian, and eventually began his studies at the Morgrave University in the arenas of Comparative Religions and Criminology. He even left behind his appellation of Stump, and finally went by his real name, Alistair Hasseldorf. He had definitely changed his destiny ..

Blinking, Alistair shook his head, emerging from his reverie. He chuckled again, murmuring, "It is in old age that we relive our youth ..." Rolling up his treatise, he placed them in the appropriate cases. Putting them in his satchel, he returned to his desk and pulled forth another parchment, this one not his own. It had been sealed with the signet of the City Watch, and was penned in the flowing hand of the Captain, but slanted in such a way that indicated it was written in a rush. His eyes were naturally drawn to the unique portions of the handwriting, a habit from his old days. It seemed like forever ago that he found a life within the Church and the University, but it was only in recent months that he had found additional employment with the constabuary, helping with a number of crimes here and there. This latest note spoke of a dead gnome, and warned of a politically charged environment that demanded a quick and quiet solution. Sighing, he pulled his spectacles down and began to read ...

Personality: Alistair is a friendly man who speaks little of his youth, but shares tales of his early adult life with little provocation. He is intelligent and savvy, and likes to use his mind to solve mysteries, puzzles an conundrums. However, he is in excellent condition for his age, and will often surprise those around him with his natural abilities at any number of skills.

Description: Alistair is a lean dwarf of average height. His black hair has been receding for decades and his beard had a couple of streaks of grey, but his body was as strong as ever. He typically wears simple clothes, a tunic and pants, and a coat with many pockets. Over one shoulder, he carries a satchel with writing implements, paper and a journal to take notes. When travelling, he favors a quarterstaff that he uses as a walking stick, and carries a longsword at his side. He walks with a pronounced limp, and therefore always leaves with enough time to be punctual. In all, he seems more like an aged librarian or professor than adventurer or detective ... but looks can always be deceiving.

Gildedragon
2013-02-27, 01:52 AM
Okay, so what do you guys want as lvl 1 contacts?

Postmodernist
2013-02-27, 02:15 AM
How many do we start with? I'd think Blackened Book and Guild of Starlight and Shadow for Dzrug.

hoverfrog
2013-02-27, 02:41 AM
Pen works at Morgrave university, maybe he knows Dzrug or Alistair.

Gildedragon
2013-02-27, 03:25 AM
Alistair: 2
Dzurg: 1

Sure that's a possibility. Starbin thoughts on Alistair knowing Pen?

Starbin
2013-02-27, 08:30 AM
I could see Alistair having met Pen before ... perhaps while researching for his paper within the library or in the staff room somewhere. Alistair is an assistant professor - he doesn't have nearly the depth that Pen does, but he does have breadth across a variety of subjects.

As for contacts, I thought there would be one 'informant' type in Downstairs ... not a snitch, per se, but the guy who knows what's going on and who to talk to as it pertains to the shadowy side of Sharn. For a second contact, I figured he had made an acquaintance within the watch within the last year or so, having helped a little on a couple of cases. But I'm flexible - anyone other ideas out there?

Gildedragon
2013-03-02, 09:56 PM
Okay, so no action for a few days; so I am thinking of skipping a day or so to bring our new players in.

If there are no objections the following actions will have been taken
Interrogation ends with the possibility of follow up questions
A report of the preliminary findings is filed in.
Rykon and Pen either go for a drink together in the upper wards, with or without Erna, or part ways for the day.
Pen has the gnome's ID, he will attempt to decipher script on it overnight.

A lack of posts by monday means we are in agreement and I will post some happenings on monday.

Oh and colors before you first post guys

Gildedragon
2013-03-03, 04:33 AM
@Star: Maybe not contact material, but backstory wise and a way to bring you in, maybe having known Erna's immediate superior since childhood? Opposite gangs' turfs but became friends after leaving?

A bugbear Lt. of the watch?

Gildedragon
2013-03-04, 03:21 PM
Does rykon have any ranks in alchemy?

Starbin
2013-03-04, 07:57 PM
@Star: Maybe not contact material, but backstory wise and a way to bring you in, maybe having known Erna's immediate superior since childhood? Opposite gangs' turfs but became friends after leaving?

A bugbear Lt. of the watch?

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, but having a contact with Erna's immediate supervisor is cool ... as well as the bugbear Lt (since I have a fondness for their ilk, as you well know :smallbiggrin:)

hoverfrog
2013-03-05, 02:37 AM
I'm going to assume that we have a base of operations where we can meet up and a normal start time when on the job. It would be nice to have all the PCs together in the same place and it gives us an opportunity to meet the new investigators.

Gildedragon
2013-03-05, 03:33 AM
A tavern in Smoky Towers (the theater district on the north side of Middle Menthis) ? I figure the upper wards are a bit too poofy for some of you.

Open to suggestions on names (of the place and proprietor)

The Warforged's Nuts?
The Syranian Lily?
The Light of Venya?
The Dancing Unicorn?
The Silver Veil of Cyre?

hoverfrog
2013-03-05, 05:59 AM
My money is on the Silver Veil.

Here is my joking review of the inns:

The Warforged's Nuts - Closed since the warforged community objected to the name as offensive and the mayor's office agreed that the equality policies of local government take precedence over freedom of expression.
The Syranian Lily - Too highbrow for Middle Menthis this establishment served beverages and cuisine of extraplanar origin but unfortunately priced themselves out of the local market. They have since moved to the Azure district on Skyway where their flavours and prices are better appreciated.
The Light of Venya - Recently the scene of rioting given the continual light show that this modern inn used as entertainment. Residents were upset that the lights weren't turned off at night and even other towers complained that the light show looked like a small moon at night.
The Dancing Unicorn - This gay bar has proven popular and controversial at the same time. Though King Boranel's government has been progressive in recent years the churches of Sharn continue to object to open displays of what they call "deviancy". They serve the best swordfish pie in Sharn though.
The Silver Veil of Cyre - Despite initial objections to naming a bar after a former enemy of the state this drinking hole has become popular in recent years. Not only do immigrants from Cyre enjoy drinking here but many native Sharns take the opportunity to rub shoulders and trade with the newcomers. There are a number of private rooms available for hire and the distinctive spiced Cyran foods and wines bring visitors from all across the region.

Gildedragon
2013-03-06, 03:44 PM
Postmodernist, Starbin: some scene-setting actions from your characters would be nice; are try headed to the garrison, already there, sent a message to be met with elsewhere?

If they are both at the garrison do they talk to each other?

Ellisande
2013-03-06, 03:52 PM
The lieutenant knowing a newcomer would be good--give Erna an excuse to trust him.

I may have missed it, but did the street-searchers have any luck, either finding more sand or the place of death?

Gildedragon
2013-03-06, 04:03 PM
A little bit more sand, a little bit more clues.

Gildedragon
2013-03-07, 04:05 AM
So do Pen and/or Rykon want to go be somewhere while the cops get their stuff together?

Starbin? Vistureon?

hoverfrog
2013-03-08, 06:04 AM
Actually I thought that we'd all meet up and have a quick conflab before splitting up.

Gildedragon
2013-03-08, 03:23 PM
Okay. I just ask to have everyone posting on something; even if it is appears to be as inane as having a morning coffee-speculation session or a finding an expert to analyse a clue or the like.
Having characters walk around the city gives me opportunities to introduce NPCs and present clue-finding opportunities.

Gildedragon
2013-03-09, 12:29 AM
@ Starbin: seeing as how you were sendinged early in the morning, you likely don't have more than the basics of the case.
-murdered gnome
-sand in the body
-likely weird magic

Starbin
2013-03-09, 12:34 AM
That makes sense ... about what I expected.

Gildedragon
2013-03-15, 02:29 AM
Hover, Vistureon seems to be gone for the time being. Do you want to get involved with something while the people at the garrison get ready?

It can be seeing some contact for data (if you sent for him last night) or something along those lines.

hoverfrog
2013-03-15, 05:14 AM
Hover, Vistureon seems to be gone for the time being. Do you want to get involved with something while the people at the garrison get ready?

It can be seeing some contact for data (if you sent for him last night) or something along those lines.Thanks, I did wonder. How about he finishes his breakfast and heads to the garrison to meet everyone?

Starbin
2013-03-15, 08:00 AM
@Guigarci - any results on those skill checks?

Gildedragon
2013-03-15, 11:11 AM
Oh man sorry. Slipped my mind.
Spellcraft: from pure description it sounds like it could be flesh to stone; a desiccating spell would not produce true sand, though without examining the remains directly Alistair cannot know if it is sand-sand or dried body bits-sand.

The description of the gnome brings to mind rumors of barrows in Xen'drik, hidden in the rocky deserts, where sand-stuffed bodies of long forgotten mages or nobles rest, waiting for something unknown. These bodies are notable for bearing no injury on the body, and retaining an uncanny freshness of the flesh.

Ellisande
2013-03-19, 11:04 PM
Postmodernist, any ideas on how to turn the Erna-Dzrug relationship around? It's off to a rough start, rather more confrontational than ideal, especially since they've got to work together...

Starbin
2013-03-19, 11:06 PM
Postmodernist, any ideas on how to turn the Erna-Dzrug relationship around? It's off to a rough start, rather more confrontational than ideal, especially since they've got to work together...

How about a love connection? :smallsmile:

Postmodernist
2013-03-20, 07:25 PM
Quite the contrary, I think it's going rather swimmingly. Friction is a good thing; it helps expedite character development, and lends greater significance to any future successes our characters might have. Plus, I think there's supposed to be some inter-departmental mistrust within Sharn, so her assuming that The Blackened Book wouldn't have access to her reports is a cause for suspicion.

Frankly, I think it makes narrative sense. Nobody likes everyone they work with, so Erna and Dzrug getting off on the wrong foot strikes me as totally normal. It provides lots of interesting opportunities since they have to work together. Everything from conducting an investigation together and disagreeing, or the "love connection" that Starbin suggests. It all works.

EDIT: Ooooh! And it's an absolute STAPLE of buddy cops movies. One cop does it by the book, the other makes his own rules. One cop is uptight, the other a loose cannon. One old, one young, etc. This personality disparity should definitely be played up.

Gildedragon
2013-03-20, 08:20 PM
I have no stakes either way, but will say that should it become a problem I will expect some mature resolution of the issues.
The way I am running this game allows for parties to split up and move around as they will through the city, so that is a possibility if IC difficulties become insurmountable.

Related to moving around freely:
Don't forget to roll your own travel checks:
Kn Local or Gather Info 15 to halve the travel time
The chart below is in minutes
{table]Destination|Travel By Land |Travel by Air
Same District| 3d6 | 1d6
Same Ward| 6d6 | 2d6
Adjacent Ward| 3d6 x 5| 1d6 x 5
Further Away| 6d6 x5 | 2d6 x 5
[/table]

Ellisande
2013-03-21, 08:24 PM
All right, if you're genuinely happy with the conflict, I'll see where it leads.

I'll let you know if it starts raising my blood pressure too much, which I suspect would happen before it's a problem for our DM.

Postmodernist
2013-03-21, 08:32 PM
It's all the characters. Keep that in mind, and I doubt there will be any problems. I certainly don't have any issues with anyone as a player, so keep it in character and it shouldn't be an issue.

Gildedragon
2013-03-24, 06:33 PM
Check results:

Spellcraft:
Speak with Dead and Animate Dead / Create Undead would stop the spell from working. No known abjuration could do such a thing

Outsiders that could do this:
None that you know of.

hoverfrog
2013-03-25, 07:06 AM
Presumably the corpse not being a body anymore would also prevent it from working? i.e. Flesh to Stone or Flesh to Sand (if that's what we're assuming)

Gildedragon
2013-03-25, 12:32 PM
Hmmm. That's an idea I hadn't considered
Why don't ya'll explore that IC

Gildedragon
2013-04-02, 11:40 AM
I pressume people are cool with the splitting up to investigate things approach?

Gildedragon
2013-04-03, 11:59 PM
So wow on the knowledges:

Knowledges: No one, besides knowledge local, is particularly high. But seein the at least basic knowledge

You know the following things about sand in the context of magic.
Certain sands are used in rituals to purify and protect places or people. Usually this use of sand involves intricate patterns.
On the other hand, certain spellcasters have been rumored to use sand to spread the desert in a bid to destroy life.

As to sandy places in the city: There is an exhibit on Xendriki artefacts, some of them undoubtedly from the continent's deserts. Also the glassblower's district is bound to have a fair amount of sand, white pure silica sand, to ply their trade.

Certain creatures composed of sand, related to oozes, have been reported in travelers' almanacs.

There are a fair number of stories of creatures inhabiting bodies. Usually this refers to demons, undead, or possessing entities

To all of these you know that you could get better information at the Morgrave Library, the Library of the Wayfinder Society, and in the Libraries of the Wizard Guilds, probably in the libraries of the knowledge cults.

Spellcraft: without a spell effect or remnant to examine you're not getting more than you already know.

Gildedragon
2013-04-10, 05:08 AM
Allright. So we got:

Pen-Erna -> House

Al-Dzurg -> Temple + Public Baths

Is this right?
If so, it's further away than adjacent ward for all of ya; pick mode of travel here, roll your rolls (I will take the more expedite of the time rolls and the higher of the checks... unless ya're not for listening to travelling advice, in which case do a diplomacy check too to see who manages to lead)

hoverfrog
2013-04-10, 06:16 AM
Looks OK to me. Can you remind me of what we need to roll for when calculating distances.

Gildedragon
2013-04-10, 01:57 PM
Post #98; a few above has all the info.

Starbin
2013-04-10, 05:21 PM
Related to moving around freely:
Don't forget to roll your own travel checks:
Kn Local or Gather Info 15 to halve the travel time
The chart below is in minutes
{table]Destination|Travel By Land |Travel by Air
Same District| 3d6 | 1d6
Same Ward| 6d6 | 2d6
Adjacent Ward| 3d6 x 5| 1d6 x 5
Further Away| 6d6 x5 | 2d6 x 5
[/table]

Hmm ... Let's go with a KS (Local): [roll0], and a Gather Info, if necessary: [roll1]

How far are the necros?

Gildedragon
2013-04-10, 05:39 PM
That's be the Jazidim temple: further away than adjacent ward

Starbin
2013-04-10, 05:48 PM
Then taking a 'carriage' will result in [roll0]x5, divided by half.

Wow ... 47 1/2 minutes ... yeesh!

Gildedragon
2013-04-10, 06:11 PM
Hope your companion rolls a lower time

hoverfrog
2013-04-11, 08:58 AM
Unskilled knowledge check [roll0]
Gather information check [roll1]

By land [roll2]x5 = 47.5 minutes
By air [roll3]x5 = 7.5 minutes

To the airship!

Postmodernist
2013-04-13, 07:37 PM
So, for binding Vestiges: I'm thinking Dzrug will generally bind Naberius, but I'm not sure if he is presumed already bound or not. If yes, then I'll proceed. If not, I'll make a post making the pact shortly. Just want a quick confirmation one way or the other.

Gildedragon
2013-04-13, 08:05 PM
You haven't made a binding check, so its not bound.

Postmodernist
2013-04-14, 01:51 PM
The edits were made to better roleplay the failed binding check. Unfortunately, it screwed up my later rolls.

Knowledge: Local [roll0]
Gather Information: [roll1]

Gildedragon
2013-04-14, 11:28 PM
Good. I like. Ingenious using the bathroom for that.
Next time, however, give me a bit of a heads up so I can play the vestige. If I play the vestige you can make suggestions and deals to boost your binding check. Unless you're doing a rushed binding; which, I take, this was. In which case you make your roll and voila.

Thus I'm retooling Rapid Pact Making to the following:

Rapid Pact Making
Prerequisites: Soul Binding, Intimidate or Diplomacy 8 ranks, Kn. Planes 5 ranks
Benefit: 1/day a binder can make a pact with a vestige as a full round action without the -10 penalty normally associated with it.
In addition, if the binder has the "Ignore Special Requirements" feat the binder can now, make gesticulations that act as the summoning seal as part of the summoning ceremony (cutting down summoning time to a single round). The drawing of the seal now provides the binder with a +5 circumstance bonus on binding checks.
Does this sound good?

Postmodernist
2013-04-15, 12:03 AM
Cool, I'll definitely give you a heads up in the future. I like the idea that vestiges each have their own goals, personalities, etc. As for Rapid Pactmaking, that almost makes it a worthwhile feat to take.

Gildedragon
2013-04-15, 08:06 PM
Ellisandre ya gonna roll? or letting hover drive ya?
Postmodernist: travel roll?

Postmodernist
2013-04-15, 09:07 PM
The Knowledge and Gather Info rolls above are travel rolls.

Gildedragon
2013-04-15, 09:10 PM
The travel time one though. for air or land travel.

Ellisande
2013-04-15, 09:21 PM
Erna's going with Pen, and it looks like he does want the airship. I'd use his rolls. If he goes terribly off track, she'll correct his driving;

Knowledge: Local: [roll0]
Gather Information: [roll1]

Postmodernist
2013-04-15, 09:30 PM
The travel time one though. for air or land travel.

I'm not sure I follow. Post #116, 19s for both Knowledge: Local and Gather Info. I thought we had decided on air travel, as Alistair is a decrepit old man.

Gildedragon
2013-04-15, 09:38 PM
The team is splitting up:
Dzrug (you) + Alistair (starbin) and Erna (ellisandre) + Pen (hoverfrog)

Starbin only rolled for land travel, Dzrug also gets rolls for his choice of travel.

Postmodernist
2013-04-15, 10:25 PM
I had assumed we'd be going by air; it is Sharn, after all. Regardless, if Starbin prefers ground, the rolls can apply to that. Dzrug has no preference, and I doubt that the HORRIFYING MONSTER THAT CURRENTLY RIDES HIS CONSCIOUSNESS... erm, uh, Naberius has little preference either.

Starbin
2013-04-15, 11:07 PM
That's fine by me ... With a bum leg, Alistair isn't walking ...

Gildedragon
2013-04-15, 11:11 PM
Gonna roll for travel by air then?

Starbin
2013-04-15, 11:39 PM
Um ... [roll0]x5, halved for my KS check.

So, 12.5 minutes?

Postmodernist
2013-04-15, 11:49 PM
Gotcha. [roll0]

35 mins, halved is 17.5. Looks like Alistair has a faster time.

Postmodernist
2013-04-18, 09:58 PM
Nat 1! Wohoo!

Gildedragon
2013-04-18, 11:15 PM
Oh. Erna.
Not a gem at all. Reflex save, both of you.

Ellisande
2013-04-19, 01:54 AM
Uh...uhoh?

Reflex Save: [roll0]

Gildedragon
2013-04-19, 02:23 AM
Erna makes her save, taking 7 damage

hoverfrog
2013-04-19, 08:06 AM
Uh oh Reflex save [roll0]

Gildedragon
2013-04-19, 01:24 PM
Seven damage as well

Starbin
2013-04-19, 05:01 PM
I'll bite, too! KS (Arcana): (1d20+9)[17] or KS (Religion): (1d20+10)[16] for the runes.
Spellcraft (if necessary) for the runes: (1d20+6)[11]
Sense Motive (to determine if our host is evasive): (1d20+8)[20]

Any results on these rolls?

Gildedragon
2013-04-19, 05:21 PM
Oh:
Sense Motive: Not hiding anything
Spellcraft: Magical, arcane looking.
Kn Arcana: The inscriptions on the skeleton seem to be spells etched into the creature itself
Kn Religion: Undead can be crafted by specialized necromancers to have the capacity to cast spells. This process renders the undead more resistant to spells and divine energy.

Starbin
2013-04-19, 05:41 PM
Sweet! Probably useless, but sweet!

Gildedragon
2013-04-19, 05:43 PM
...until one of you wants to get the necropolitan template...

Gildedragon
2013-04-19, 06:03 PM
Hoverfrog: concentration check to maintain detect magic after the damage.

hoverfrog
2013-04-20, 05:20 AM
Concentration [roll0]

Gildedragon
2013-04-20, 01:39 PM
Not quite enough but I assume you burn a second slot
There is a lingering evocation aura
There is an abjuration aura around the desk
There is some illusion on some of the gems
Abjuration on the curtains

Postmodernist
2013-04-29, 10:44 AM
Just checking in after the site crash.

Starbin
2013-04-29, 11:02 AM
Well, chat it up, PM! The necro awaits ...

Ellisande
2013-04-30, 02:16 AM
Also checking in. Erna may be about to die in a horrible fire, but I'm here to watch.

Gildedragon
2013-04-30, 03:41 AM
Not possible to extinguish with mage hand.
Please keep entirely OOC posts and questions here. Actions and dialogue on the IC board.
How does erna go about extinguishing the flames?

Ellisande
2013-04-30, 08:34 PM
Pen was pulling out a camping blanket to smother the flames with. Erna will take up the opposite side to assist.

Gildedragon
2013-05-06, 04:54 AM
Pen; reflex save.

hoverfrog
2013-05-07, 12:50 AM
One reflex save coming up [roll0]

Gildedragon
2013-05-07, 02:24 AM
don't make the save.

[roll0] damage

hoverfrog
2013-05-07, 03:40 AM
don't make the save.

[roll0] damageOuch. What happened?

Gildedragon
2013-05-07, 03:50 AM
failed the disable device check by more than 5 triggered the trap.
force damage, not as bad as it could have been, if you're interested in the particulars.

hoverfrog
2013-05-07, 08:09 AM
failed the disable device check by more than 5 triggered the trap.
force damage, not as bad as it could have been, if you're interested in the particulars.Disable device on a curtain?

Actually I meant what happened visually. Is there a giant fist that comes out and punches Pen or is he blasted back by a beam of force?

Gildedragon
2013-05-07, 01:59 PM
Flash of light. Area effect.

Gildedragon
2013-05-14, 07:11 PM
What does the scholar duo want to do next?

Starbin
2013-05-17, 12:05 AM
Hmmm. Good question. Right now, I think checking out the sand is Alistair's next step - he'd also like to understand a little more behind the life and times of our victim (i.e., who he really was; who he did business with; who his potential enemies were; who would care if he was gone; etc). Also, did Alistair or Dzrug ever see the loot Gnomey had hidden in his boot? Tracing those might bring more leads ...

PM, you got anything?

Postmodernist
2013-05-17, 12:43 AM
I still think we need to question local gold smith guilds and the House Ghandalla inn that token was from.

Starbin
2013-05-17, 01:09 AM
Works for me - you're the actual cop! :smallbiggrin:

Gildedragon
2013-05-20, 01:10 AM
So what are your actions? You all got different options.

Gildedragon
2013-05-20, 01:12 AM
to go to the baths you need a kn. local DC 15 to get and an eventual beyond adjacent ward travel roll.

hoverfrog
2013-05-20, 01:34 AM
Is there an actual healer in the party? It would be nice to meet up and get some hit points back.

Gildedragon
2013-05-20, 02:09 AM
No healer in the party. But you can go to a temple for the healing. The price be fairly low depending of which pantheon you visit.

hoverfrog
2013-05-20, 04:22 AM
No healer in the party. But you can go to a temple for the healing. The price be fairly low depending of which pantheon you visit.Pen has the princely sum of 2gp to his name. Even a generous priesthood might balk at that low a donation.

Gildedragon
2013-05-20, 04:28 AM
if you do a kn religion or kn local you might now of a priesthood that might do it for that or less.

hoverfrog
2013-05-20, 06:05 AM
if you do a kn religion or kn local you might now of a priesthood that might do it for that or less.Both untrained for me. Knowledge (local) [roll0]
Knowledge (religion) [roll1]

Starbin
2013-05-20, 07:40 AM
Alistair, the cloistered cleric, sniffs sadly. "I know I'm not the prototypical header, and my posting had been slowed, but I do still possess a connection to the divine!"

hoverfrog
2013-05-20, 07:44 AM
Alistair, the cloistered cleric, sniffs sadly. "I know I'm not the prototypical header, and my posting had been slowed, but I do still possess a connection to the divine!"Ah but where is he?

Starbin
2013-05-20, 08:23 AM
Well, your original question was "Is there an actual healer in the party?" Yes.

"Is he close by?"

No :smallbiggrin:

hoverfrog
2013-05-20, 08:30 AM
Foiled again.

Starbin
2013-05-20, 04:59 PM
I still think we need to question local gold smith guilds and the House Ghandalla inn that token was from.

Okay, did you want to post this in character, or should we just start heading there?

Gildedragon
2013-05-20, 05:15 PM
Ooc: kn local (15) or gather info (10) to know goldsmiths' guild whereabouts. And a long distance travel roll. I'll post results here.
IC: Rp the check. Quality and interaction will give a bonus.
You can concatenate the rolls by hiring a coach.

Postmodernist
2013-05-20, 06:52 PM
Okay, did you want to post this in character, or should we just start heading there?

Sorry, been busy. Posting IC shortly.

Knowledge: Local [roll0]

Starbin
2013-05-22, 09:18 AM
KS (Local): [roll0] vs DC15 or Gather Info: [roll1] vs DC10

Travel by Air (Further away than one district?): [roll2]x5
- Rolls to halve time: KS (Local): [roll3] or Gather Info: [roll4] vs DC15

Curious - can we take 10 on rolls to halve our travel in the future?

EDIT: So 5x8/2 = 20 minutes

Gildedragon
2013-05-22, 12:22 PM
Yes you can

Gildedragon
2013-05-24, 10:20 PM
Starbin, a bluff check s'il vous plait.

Starbin
2013-05-24, 11:19 PM
Okay ... however, you'll note that I didn't lie. So you may rather a Dip check. Of course, they're both the same value for me, so probably a moot point.

[roll0]

Postmodernist
2013-05-25, 08:12 PM
200 gold for a spa treatment?!?

Right, time to break out the police credentials, unless someone suggest another route. Dzrug is not above casting Charm Person or the like to get his way.

Gildedragon
2013-05-25, 08:16 PM
20 gold
1 dragon is 10 gold pieces
and it's more for a 'spa membership'

Postmodernist
2013-05-25, 08:37 PM
Whew. Still pricey, but far more manageable. I just looked up an Eberron currency guide, and it said a dragon was one hundred galifars.

Whaddya think, Starbin? I'm willing to pay if you are. Otherwise, we can get the "long arm of the law discount."

Gildedragon
2013-05-25, 09:11 PM
Ditto, but if a dragon is a pp, then a dragon is 10 gp. someone must have slipped a 0

Starbin
2013-05-25, 10:11 PM
So are we talking 20gps or 200gps? I'm game, but Alistair doesn't have a lot of spare change :smallsmile:

Gildedragon
2013-05-26, 01:50 AM
20 gold pieces

Starbin
2013-06-06, 02:08 PM
I'll be on vacation for a bit ... I'll post when I can. :smallsmile:

Gildedragon
2013-06-07, 01:35 PM
Kn architecture: A notable feature of this room is that, because if the concavities of the walls and arrangement of the pillars, there are places in the pool where two people could whisper at each other from over 90' away, without being overheard by anyone elsewhere.

Spot: several of the individuals in the pool are wearing a large number of matching rings.

Gildedragon
2013-06-15, 03:15 AM
Couple of things. Would people be interested with playing with two new rules.
1) action points
2) speak authoritatively
The latter might be useful for knowing where caches of police supplies; esoteric book-sellers; temples; etcetera are located.

Starbin
2013-06-15, 10:36 AM
Could be useful ... I'm game for whatever!

Postmodernist
2013-06-15, 03:22 PM
Both would be useful additions. Where are the speak authoritatively rules? I'm perusing my rulebooks, but can't find them offhand.

Gildedragon
2013-06-15, 05:19 PM
Ah, yes. Spaced out and forgot to link to it:
here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11090621) it is homebrew but not bad I think.

Postmodernist
2013-06-15, 07:29 PM
Those rules look good to me. Incidentally, I wanted to apologize for my posting rate of late. Summer has been super busy, and I barely have time to check my email and normal correspondence, let alone GitP. I'll have something substantial up this weekend, and will try to get more up in the future.

Ellisande
2013-06-20, 08:05 PM
Action points sound fine to me, though a little more cinematic-ally oriented than the game's been so far.

On first skim (and having only read the first two applicable posts), I really like the Speak Authoritatively rule; I think it would really facilitate plot movement. Especially since Erna's got Investigate... ~_^
We would need to clarify what "once per session" means in a PbP game though. Perhaps (and possibly to my disadvantage) something like 'once per X posts' or 'x% chance of recharge per post'?

Gildedragon
2013-06-20, 08:33 PM
What about a flat 4 times per level.
Gameplay sessions are usually 3 CL-appropriate encounters; 12 CL-appropriate encounters to a level.

Gildedragon
2013-06-22, 03:51 PM
So what are erna and pen doing?

Starbin
2013-06-22, 04:11 PM
Nice move, PM - I realize now that Alistair is more of the behind-the-scenes researcher, rather than an in-person interviewer!

hoverfrog
2013-06-22, 05:06 PM
So what are erna and pen doing?Heading back to the barracks, I think.

Gildedragon
2013-06-22, 05:24 PM
Then do the travel roll and post such things.
Alternatively Kn Local, Gather Info, or Kn Religion could point you to a temple, city watch cache, etc...

Postmodernist
2013-06-22, 05:41 PM
Nice move, PM - I realize now that Alistair is more of the behind-the-scenes researcher, rather than an in-person interviewer!

Thanks. Dzrug needs some more points in diplomacy, though. He's too jack of all trades-y in his skills, and would benefit from some more focus. What's our next move? Invisibly search the area, perhaps?

Ellisande
2013-06-22, 07:26 PM
Heading back to the barracks, I think.

Agreed. I think they're headed back to the constabulary to (begrudgingly, in Erna's case) call in arcanists/trapfinders.

Starbin
2013-06-28, 08:56 AM
Thanks. Dzrug needs some more points in diplomacy, though. He's too jack of all trades-y in his skills, and would benefit from some more focus. What's our next move? Invisibly search the area, perhaps?

Well, I was hoping your attempts at diplomacy might help ... or my efforts at gather information might work ... but nothing so far. I'm guessing we'll have to ask a few questions about the vic's presence, see if anyone knew him, etc. If'n you want an invisible search, I suppose Alistair could be the distraction ...

Starbin
2013-07-17, 07:52 PM
Sorry for e double post - Perception check: [roll0]

Postmodernist
2013-07-17, 07:58 PM
Here's hoping we can glean something from this next room.

Gildedragon
2013-07-17, 08:46 PM
Conversation snippets gleaned:

1) "they ripped his organs out..." "...just isn't safe, nowadays..."

2) "...selling my collection now he's dead..."

3) "...had been gone for a week, and now..."

4) "...saw him speaking with Vassal Edroj..."

5) "...seeking new disciples for the audiences..."

Postmodernist
2013-07-17, 09:51 PM
Great. They're all tantalizing.

Gildedragon
2013-07-22, 03:37 PM
What sort of aid would erna and pen want in dispelling
what is their GP total?
Also asking for dispelling help might involve the blackened book more.

hoverfrog
2013-07-22, 11:46 PM
Pen has 2 gp, 6 sp, 5 cp which isn't enough to get a sky cab across town. If the guard are asking us to pay to assist them in an investigation then I'm afraid I'll just have to cut my losses. We haven't even been paid for the work done so far and we've sustained injuries helping them out. The Detect Magic that I have cast so far on behalf of the watch has a standard fee of 20gp. I don't have any kind of dispelling magic but if I were powerful enough to cast it I'd charge 100gp at least.

Gildedragon
2013-07-24, 11:44 PM
There is also the option of a) erna still has a contact and b) pen is a circle member

Postmodernist
2013-07-31, 01:10 PM
So, my term of service here in Texas has come to an end. I'm going to be moving over the next few days, temporarily relocating back to Florida and then taking a job that will put me in San Francisco for the indeterminate future. Eventually, I'll be able to do my job remotely from wherever, but the next period may limit my posting. Apologies in advance.

Starbin
2013-07-31, 02:56 PM
Good luck and safe travels!