PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Barbarian build help please!

Vastly
2013-01-09, 01:56 AM
So I'm retooling a old favorite character of mine for a Rise of the Runelords game I'll be playing in soon. His name is Hamvick, and he is a dwarf.

He's been a fighter (3.5), a warlord (4E), a cleric (PF), and now a Barbarian (PF)!

So the basic stuff; He's a Dwarf, Barbarian, Invulnerable Rager/Totem archetype, his traits and skills are decided, and his weapon of choice is a big ol' Earthbreaker.

Stats:

Str 16
Dex 14
Con 17
Int 8
Wis 12
Cha 8

Mainly, I want to go with the superstitious > Witch Hunter > Spell Sunder > Magic Eater line. Originally I was trying to incorporate the beast totem line for pounce, but I opted for overrun instead. (Not the best choice I know, I just really liked the idea of bowling over enemies with overrun). He even has the Relentless alternate racial trait, which gives +2 on overruns and bullrushing. Unfortunately, it turns out I lack the rage powers/feats to make it work as I envisioned (I had planned on getting Overbearing Advance and Onslaught, plus Charge Through).

Here is what I have thus far:

1 - Barbarian -

Feat - Power Attack
Fast Movement
2 - Barbarian -

Rage Power - Superstition
DR/1
3 - Barbarian -

Feat - Improved Overrun
Fire Resist 1
4 - Barbarian -

Rage Power - Strength Surge
DR/2
5 - Barbarian -

Feat - Improved Sunder
6 - Barbarian -

Rage Power - Witch Hunter
DR/3
Fire Resist 2
7 - Barbarian -

Feat - Greater Overrun
8 - Barbarian -

Rage Power - Spell Sunder
DR/4
9 - Oracle -

Feat - Raging Vitality
10 - Barbarian -
11 - Barbarian -

Rage Power - Eat of Magic
Feat - Combat Reflexes
DR/5
12 - Barbarian -

Fire Resist 3
13 - Barbarian -

Rage Power - Come and Get Me
Feat - Dazing Assault
DR/6
14 - Barbarian -

Greater Rage
15 - Barbarian -

Rage Power - Quick Reflexes
Feat - Raging Deathblow
DR/7
Fire Resist 4

Without the rage powers to back it up, I'm not sure it's worth it. Any advice on what to do with this build? If I replace Imp and Greater Overrun, what do I replace them with?

Any help will be most appreciated!

Vastly
2013-01-11, 03:09 PM
Shameless bump for assistance!

I'm still stuck on what to do here, on whether to keep the overrun feats or replace them. Mainly because I'm unsure what to replace them with.

Any one have some insight into a good/best option?

StreamOfTheSky
2013-01-11, 05:56 PM
You're already doing Oracle at 9 for fatigue immunity and CaGM + Dazing Assault at 13, most excellent.

I would not go with the Overrun maneuver feats, sorry.

What to do with them? Well, more rage powers is always good. You could go for pounce, it is a huge boost. You could add ghost fighter (I think that's the name), it adds your superstition bonus to touch AC. I also really like Flesh Wound, which w/ oracle dip becomes a 1/round fort save to halve damage from anything and make the other half nonlethal (which combos nicely w/ invulnerable rager DR). Reckless Abandon helps to offset the attack penalties of Power Attack and/or Dazing Assault.

You could pursue the Dreadful Carnage feat. It requires PA, which you have, and Furious Focus. Any time you drop a foe, you get a 30 ft area demoralize check as a free action. Even if it only works on foes 40% of the time....it's a free action area debuff just for killing things, which you were goin to do anyway. :smallcool:

What are you doing with Oracle, other than Lame curse? Dual-Cursed Oracle is nice for a dip because it lets you get the Misfortune revelation, which lets you as an immediate 1/creature/day force a reroll on a d20. It's great because it can both be used to hinder your enemies AND to aid yourself and allies (because you take the new roll, not the lowest of the 2 rolls, like the witch's identically named hex). Just take a non-penalizing curse like tongues as your 2nd.

Depending on if you go D-C Oracle or not and your mystery, you may want more than 1 revelation, so spending feats on that is another option.

Vastly
2013-01-18, 02:59 PM
Lots of good advice, thanks Stream.

Using your suggestions, I'm leaning towards:

Beast totem, lesser-greater (takes some work, but possible to fit in)
Bolstered Resilience + Flesh Wound (works out to quadruple DR against a single attack per rage, if I manage to make my save)
Unexpected Strike + No Escape + Step Up (To chase down casters/ranged enemies.)
Furious Focus + Dreadful Carnage (with an 8 charisma, not ideal, but there is the feat that uses Str in place of Cha for intimidate checks)
Misc options: Reckless Abandon, Steel Soul, Ghost Rager, Fearless Rage

As for my oracle mystery revelation I was considering the Battle Mystery, and taking either War Sight or Surprising Charge as my revelation. Or the Spellscar Mystery with the Mystic Null revelation (+2 vs spells and SLA). Hadn't planned on Dual Cursed, though the Misfortune revelation is really nice.