PDA

View Full Version : dip???

Armatus
2013-01-09, 09:41 AM
What is meant by diping a level? or you can dip a lvl with this or that. in character generation i mean?

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-09, 09:46 AM
Say you are a barbarian, but you need one more feat to start them game with the abilities you want. You could go barbarian 7 and wait to pick up the feat at 9th level, or you could be a barbarian 6 / fighter 1 and start with the feat.

A dip is a one or two level addition of a class for mechanical benefits to your character. Generally this refers to bringing in a class not central to the identity of your character. A fighter could dip wizard 1 for a few spells. A wizard could dip fighter for weapon profs. Rogue 2 adds evasion and 1d6 sneak attack to any build.

Some are really good, others are situation.

Norin
2013-01-09, 09:47 AM
A dip i normaly when you take one level in a prc or another class to gain some ability or whatever from said class.

Example:

I play a religious Rogue that wants to be able to turn undead. I dip cleric, so my char would maybe look like this:

Rogue 5/Cleric 1.

Or i am playing a Beguiler and want to get the telepathy from the mindbender prc. So i dip 1 level into mindbender:
Beguiler 6/Mindbender 1, and continue to progess my Beguiler class without advancing more in Mindbender.

Hope that explains it?

edit: typo

qcbtnsrm
2013-01-09, 09:53 AM
Dipping implies taking a single level (or maybe two) for some class ability or feat. You wouldn't really consider yourself a member of that class. So a lot of Gish classes dip a level of Fighter (to gain weapon and armor proficiencies). Later they may dip a level of Spellsword (only the first level) for the Ignore Spell Failure ability. Then they would go into something like Abjurant Champion. So you end up with something like Fighter 1 / Wizard 3 / Spellsword 1 / Abjurant Champion 5*.

So you would be a Wizard with the Abjurant Champion prestige class, with a couple of dips into Fighter and Spellsword.

* Note I'm not sure this build is actually legal, it is being used as a theoretical build only.

Armatus
2013-01-09, 10:31 AM
Awesome, thanks for the info.