PDA

View Full Version : Fate point/Action point

chomskola
2013-01-09, 10:48 AM
I wanted to add some luck based flavour to my 3.5 campaign and also reward role playing. I am thinking of giving points for

1) exquisite roleplaying
2) clever strategising
3) heroism or extreme expression of a pc's values

The reward would be a point, which is a free d20 that could be used an extra roll. the rationale is that this one roll could change an individual encounter but shouldnt unbalance the game too much as it will be merely one roll. I considered re-roll but I dont like that option as much. Any opinions on whether it is too strong/weak an incentive?? I wont be removnig XP rewards.

Amnoriath
2013-01-09, 10:52 AM
I wanted to add some luck based flavour to my 3.5 campaign and also reward role playing. I am thinking of giving points for

1) exquisite roleplaying
2) clever strategising
3) heroism or extreme expression of a pc's values

The reward would be a point, which is a free d20 that could be used an extra roll. the rationale is that this one roll could change an individual encounter but shouldnt unbalance the game too much as it will be merely one roll. I considered re-roll but I dont like that option as much. Any opinions on whether it is too strong/weak an incentive?? I wont be removnig XP rewards.

You could look in Eberron for action points which does something similar plus other options and simply award them for what you just explained. An extra d20 is a bit extreme though.

chomskola
2013-01-09, 11:03 AM
yes looks good, i wouldn't necessarily level it up with class level, nor would i give them 5 APs at the start, but 1 D6 seems much less extreme.

RedWarlock
2013-01-09, 06:45 PM
I used action points with an optional variant, rewarding new APs when they used nWoD-style virtues/vices (with a longer list, derived from the draconomicon dragon gods). This meant they could get new ones for RP rewards, INSTEAD of getting the 5+ at level-up.