PDA

View Full Version : Quest assistance requested.

Rama
2013-01-09, 12:49 PM
Background:
Dnd 3.5 set in Greyhawk
Four players, all level 5 (fighter, rogue, cleric, ranger)

The basic idea: the PCs and their enemy are both seeking out the body of a long dead cleric of Iuz. The enemy is attempting to recover the body from where it fell (an isolated battleground that has since been forgotten). The PCs have followed the enemy to the site and both sides are now looking for the body. The enemy forces are strong enough that direct confrontation would likely be suicide.

Help: I need ideas on what to include in the search session to make it interesting. I'm thinking the body will likely be in catacombs underground, so some dealings with unstable ground, pockets of gas, etc as well as any enemy searchers they cross paths with. But beyond that, I'm drawing a blank - and i would like to do more with it than a dice roll or two and a fight.

Any thoughts or ideas would be most welcome.

Guizonde
2013-01-09, 01:22 PM
Background:
Dnd 3.5 set in Greyhawk
Four players, all level 5 (fighter, rogue, cleric, ranger)

The basic idea: the PCs and their enemy are both seeking out the body of a long dead cleric of Iuz. The enemy is attempting to recover the body from where it fell (an isolated battleground that has since been forgotten). The PCs have followed the enemy to the site and both sides are now looking for the body. The enemy forces are strong enough that direct confrontation would likely be suicide.

Help: I need ideas on what to include in the search session to make it interesting. I'm thinking the body will likely be in catacombs underground, so some dealings with unstable ground, pockets of gas, etc as well as any enemy searchers they cross paths with. But beyond that, I'm drawing a blank - and i would like to do more with it than a dice roll or two and a fight.

Any thoughts or ideas would be most welcome.

thinking about underground made me link to a buried trench network, so maybe you could give this battleground a world war one flavor? minefields = runes, razorwire tanglefoot and other enchanted hazards, while avoiding deadly gases, search checks for finding the correct trench where the body is, etc...

i'm sure it's doable in greyhawk, and it would be an original departure from usually encountered. pile on the grimdark rotting corpses (deader than dead) for extra eery effect.

hope this helps, i'd play it in a second!

xilokix
2013-01-09, 02:38 PM
Depending on the group, you could have something collapse and break them into two squads. Aside from that, you could also have them find the bodies of their freshly killed adversaries, showing that there is something else down here, all viva la predator and such.

Rama
2013-01-09, 03:00 PM
I really like the WWI idea, thanks. I will likely use a lot of that. Probably also some leftover scavengers or other menaces that were attracted to the battlegrounds and never left...

Any other thoughts?

Guizonde
2013-01-09, 05:10 PM
a chase scene? like a wizard who casts tornado in an overpowered way and loses control of it?

how about a puzzle door, where you need a few mcguffins to open it, with one being in an enemy squad's hands. high-stakes infiltration could be a pain though...