PDA

View Full Version : "Hey! You! Yeah! You! New Comic!"

Tawmis
2013-01-09, 02:16 PM
This is probably a really stupid question (most who know me are probably like, "Yeah, that's not a surprise, man!" :smallconfused:) - but is there a way to get an email notification when a new comic is posted? I know Rich busted his hand up with the glass ( :smallfrown: ) - so it might be some time before new comics appear - an email reminder of when a new one pops up would be awesome. I know there's the RSS feed, but I barely ever have bookmarks showing - so I always forget to check my RSS feed.
:smallbiggrin:

B. Dandelion
2013-01-09, 02:28 PM
You can bypass checking the RSS feed through bookmarks, by sending the feed to another service.

I use Feed Notifier (http://www.feednotifier.com/), which gives a pop-up when selected feeds update. OOTS I have set to check like every 30 seconds. I want my comic NOW!

What you're talking about -- RSS to email -- sounds like blogtrottr (http://blogtrottr.com/). Haven't tried it out myself.

blueblade
2013-01-09, 02:33 PM
A friendly suggestion: You could come into the future (of maybe 2008?) and use an RSS reader anyway for your comic reading pleasure. They are the best things since sliced bread, and I'm more than happy that they still bring you to the site (in some cases, not all) so that hard working writers can still get some ad revenues.

I have around 20 webcomics on my list (along with 100 other blogs and news sites), and without an RSS I'd basically live my life endlessly cycling through each site for updates!

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-01-09, 03:47 PM
I have no idea why I haven't been using the RSS for this site. I use it for all my other comics...

Tawmis
2013-01-09, 05:52 PM
You can bypass checking the RSS feed through bookmarks, by sending the feed to another service.

I use Feed Notifier (http://www.feednotifier.com/), which gives a pop-up when selected feeds update. OOTS I have set to check like every 30 seconds. I want my comic NOW!

What you're talking about -- RSS to email -- sounds like blogtrottr (http://blogtrottr.com/). Haven't tried it out myself.

I will check those out!

A friendly suggestion: You could come into the future (of maybe 2008?) and use an RSS reader anyway for your comic reading pleasure. They are the best things since sliced bread, and I'm more than happy that they still bring you to the site (in some cases, not all) so that hard working writers can still get some ad revenues.

I have around 20 webcomics on my list (along with 100 other blogs and news sites), and without an RSS I'd basically live my life endlessly cycling through each site for updates!

I use an RSS Reader - that's what I said originally. However, I hate having a cluttered browser; so the only thing I have is the tabs, and the address bar. I hide everything else. So I often forget to check my RSS feeds. Which is why I asked about email (since I always have my email open, especially at work).

I have no idea why I haven't been using the RSS for this site. I use it for all my other comics...

:smallsmile:

denthor
2013-01-09, 09:41 PM
This is probably a really stupid question (most who know me are probably like, "Yeah, that's not a surprise, man!" :smallconfused:) - but is there a way to get an email notification when a new comic is posted? I know Rich busted his hand up with the glass ( :smallfrown: ) - so it might be some time before new comics appear - an email reminder of when a new one pops up would be awesome. I know there's the RSS feed, but I barely ever have bookmarks showing - so I always forget to check my RSS feed.

Sorry to burst your bubble!!! not really

On the that was a stupid question, that does not even rate the top 1,000 on my scale.

Feel free to feel better now.

The_Weirdo
2013-01-10, 02:20 AM

On the that was a stupid question, that does not even rate the top 1,000 on my scale.

Denthor, is your avatar a drow?

Tawmis
2013-01-10, 01:07 PM

Aww man. Why you gotta make me feel all good an' stuff? :smalltongue:

Don't go trying to over take my Stupid Question in my own thread man! :smallyuk:

denthor
2013-01-10, 04:47 PM

The Weirdo... I see you are well versed in your knowledge of avatar lore. I bow and am grateful to meet another who delves so deep into where this thread is bound to decend. With any unluck you may meet her. Your doom awaits. :amused:

Yes it is a drow, and I am glad you were smart enough to get confirmation.

The_Weirdo
2013-01-10, 11:30 PM
But... But-but-but... But-but-but-but-but...

My question was stupid! I swear!

denthor
2013-01-11, 11:35 AM
But... But-but-but... But-but-but-but-but...

My question was stupid! I swear!

No yours was not.

I one time had a customer that asked me if black was a dark color.

That is my all time number one.

After she got the answer she ordered the 25,000 Explorer. It took three days to get the thing and I had to drive 130 miles one way.

She then proceeded to tell me that she did not want a dark color vehicle!!

Which one was studip? Well other than me for getting the vehicle

The_Weirdo
2013-01-12, 09:49 PM
I one time had a customer that asked me if black was a dark color.

I...

*Whimpers*

Morgan Wick
2013-01-18, 12:46 AM
You could also just follow @RichBurlew on Twitter - he tweets with each new comic.

Surfing HalfOrc
2013-01-18, 07:00 AM
If you are a Facebook user, there is a feed at Order of the Stick Automatic. It's not something controlled by the Giant as far as I can tell, it's just an RSS feed that posts a link when a new comic is posted.

There is another Facebook user who posts when a new OotS is posted, but they do it manually and can be several days behind.