PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Wizard for Pathfinder Society game

Fruchtkracher
2013-01-09, 02:46 PM
So for a new Pathfinder Society Character I decided to go Wizard for once, trying to get as many spells as possible and generally trying to optimize the heck out of it.

So far I have a level one elven wizard focused diviner with the Scroll Scholar and Spell binder archetypes with stats of
Str 9
Dex 16
Con 12
Int 20
Wis 8
Cha 7

I took the fleet runner and dream speaker alternative racial traits as well as the reactionary trait. With improved initiative as my level one feat I am looking at
+3 dex +2 fleet runner + 4 improved initiative +2 reactionary + 1 focused diviner = +12 initiative modifier.

With spell focus (enchantment) and a +1 bonus for dream speaker and a Qadira-trait that lets me add +2 to the DC of one spell per day I can cast one sleep spell at DC 19 per day, the others at DC 17.

Am I missing anything? Is there perhaps even a way to improve this right now?

Sacrieur
2013-01-09, 03:04 PM
This (https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1xjPIOH8F8a0l74BdDF7Q23nCfZ-YX68Xr6JmmtznMw4) may be useful.

Fruchtkracher
2013-01-09, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I already went through this (several times actually) - it's just that most of the handbooks do not take into account recent aditions, and Pathfinder has added quite a bit of stuff. Also Treantmonk sadly doesn't go into any traits or archetypes...

Sacrieur
2013-01-09, 05:17 PM
The only one that looks mildly attractive is spellbinder. The rest are meh to me. But if only because bonded objects can be a liability.

As for traits, pick things you think would help with battlefield control.

Arutema
2013-01-10, 01:32 AM
Str 9
Dex 16
Con 12
Int 20
Wis 8
Cha 7

Am I missing anything? Is there perhaps even a way to improve this right now?

Let's go over this, as nice as 20 Int is, how are you going to:

Str 9: carry a basic loadout of gear?
Wis 8: make perception checks?
Cha 7: succeed at any social skill roll? Society is more than a dungeon crawl.

You want my honest advice, drop your Int down to 18 and toss the extra points in Cha, Str, and Wis in that order.

Corlindale
2013-01-10, 03:32 AM
DO take the Foresight subschool of Divination - it's arguably much better than the regular school powers.

Specializing in enchantment can be a little risky, since you'll encounter many immunities in most game worlds. Probably less of an issue in PFS, I guess, since it stops earlier. ALso remember that Sleep - while powerful - is a bit annoying to cast due to the whole 1 round-casting time thing. Going first (which your build certainly seems geared to do!) is less fun when your spell still doesn't go off before everyone else has acted.

Let's go over this, as nice as 20 Int is, how are you going to:

Str 9: carry a basic loadout of gear?
Wis 8: make perception checks?
Cha 7: succeed at any social skill roll? Society is more than a dungeon crawl.

You want my honest advice, drop your Int down to 18 and toss the extra points in Cha, Str, and Wis in that order.

I wouldn't worry too much about this. Wizards don't need to carry much, and you can obtain spells/items to increase your capacity early and easily. Pretty standard practice for any full caster I make to have 8 strength (I don't like to go lower than this, though).

For perception and social skills, it's arguably going to make a much bigger difference that you get an extra skill point/level with your 20 Int, making it easy enough to take ranks in perception and whatever social skills you desire to compensate for the penalties. I don't usually like to dump wisdom, though, but that's mainly because Will is such an important save.