PDA

View Full Version : Wand Crossbow?

silverwolfer
2013-01-09, 04:01 PM
Anyone know of any sort of crossbow, besides a ebeeron wand hilt, that can fire wands or such ?

koboldish
2013-01-09, 04:23 PM
Do you want to shoot the wand itself or the spell in the wand?

Prime32
2013-01-09, 04:25 PM
The Rod of Many Wands lets you insert X wands into it (up to 3) and take a full-round action to activate all of them at once (but using X charges from each), even if you're not a caster.

Asheram
2013-01-09, 04:27 PM
Deathwand Crossbow. Arms and Equipment guide.

Urpriest
2013-01-09, 04:41 PM
Any Crossbow could conceivably shoot wants, provided the wand was made into a bolt. It's a fantastic way to break wands in an entertaining manner.

Slipperychicken
2013-01-09, 04:43 PM
Just load the wand into the crossbow and fire. Take -4 on the attack roll, and probably decrease the damage die one step because wands are unsuitable as crossbow bolts and would be treated as improvised weapons.

Dungeonscape wand chamber lets you use wands in addition to the weapon's normal functionality.

BowStreetRunner
2013-01-09, 05:10 PM
So if you shoot the wand at me and miss, can I pick the wand up and use it to cast a spell on you in return?

Flickerdart
2013-01-09, 05:16 PM
You could use beads from a necklace of fireballs with a sling, if that's close enough for your dreams of spell torpedoes.

Slipperychicken
2013-01-09, 10:18 PM
So if you shoot the wand at me and miss, can I pick the wand up and use it to cast a spell on you in return?

If he misses, there's a 50% chance the wand is broken or lost. A miss will probably leave the wand very far from your position (I'm inclined to say 1d10x[range increment] feet from the crossbowman), though, and require a Search check and some time to locate. If it's intact and you manage to retrieve it, sure you can, provided you successfully operate the wand.

TuggyNE
2013-01-10, 12:58 AM
If he misses, there's a 50% chance the wand is broken or lost. A miss will probably leave the wand very far from your position (I'm inclined to say 1d10x[range increment] feet from the crossbowman), though, and require a Search check and some time to locate. If it's intact and you manage to retrieve it, sure you can, provided you successfully operate the wand.

... that suggests an awesomely horrible application: fire a Staff of Power as improvised ammo from a siege weapon, and watch your target detonate!

Slipperychicken
2013-01-10, 01:04 AM
... that suggests an awesomely horrible application: fire a Staff of Power as improvised ammo from a siege weapon, and watch your target detonate!

Would the operator of the siege weapon be considered the one who breaks the staff, and thus be subject to the instant death or teleport?

TuggyNE
2013-01-10, 02:15 AM
Would the operator of the siege weapon be considered the one who breaks the staff, and thus be subject to the instant death or teleport?

I haven't the foggiest. (Honestly, I'm almost positive it can't actually be done by RAW: it's a standard action to break the Staff usually, after all.)

In a slightly crazy game I wouldn't mind letting it fly, though, possibly letting them avoid the chance of instant death in exchange for having to use a siege weapon + improvised weapon penalties.

silverwolfer
2013-01-10, 02:21 AM
Fighter : Sir, we have a problem

Lt: what?

Fighter : Well, they are firing rods at us Sir, soaring wizard sticks

LT: Just tells you how bad they are geti.......BOOOM

Fighter : Pull Back, they got the Rods of Kickass out

Morph Bark
2013-01-10, 03:49 AM
It's a perfect delivery system to get them to a party member who has the Snatch Arrows feat and a decent UMD modifier.

BowStreetRunner
2013-01-10, 01:34 PM
It's a perfect delivery system to get them to a party member who has the Snatch Arrows feat and a decent UMD modifier.

That would actually be pretty cool. Have a support character in back with a crossbow and an extra quiver full of spare wands ready to re-arm anyone up front whose wand runs out of charges.