PDA

View Full Version : Spellblade question

herrhauptmann
2013-01-09, 04:10 PM
I'm getting a melee character ready for a high level gestalt, and I was wondering what everyone considers the best spell(s) for Spellblades.

For those who don't know, Spellblade makes you immune to one spell that targets the wielder. Not ones that target areas or create effects, so fireball and wall of fire are both out.
When hit with the spell, you have the option of redirecting the spell as a free action on your next turn, or letting it drain away harmlessly.

I'm currently thinking that a Dispel magic or greater dispel magic would be the best choice. I'm not really expecting a disjunction, while the character has the following abilities: Mettle, Mindblank (Ex), and Nondetection (Su).
I've also got the Slippery Mind ability available, but with Mindblank, that seems unnecessary.

Aharon
2013-01-09, 04:33 PM
The dispel line are Good options. A character I made used a quarterstaff and armor spikes, plus a buckler with shield spikes to get immunity from both dispel and greater dispel as well as reaving dispel (CA) and slashing dispel (PHBII). I think that covers all except chain dispel (SC).

herrhauptmann
2013-01-10, 08:32 AM
Bump from page 2.

Anything else besides the Dispel Line?

CigarPete
2013-01-10, 09:47 AM
Bump from page 2.

Anything else besides the Dispel Line?

The dispel line are the ones that are going to impact you the most. Anything else you should be able to cover with a buff of some kind, either mind blank or spell immunity from a friendly cleric or some other spell. Dispel is the main weakness that you need to shore up, so I would stick with that. You can probably safely go with just greater dispel.

JeminiZero
2013-01-10, 10:02 AM
As per Psionic-Magic transparency, items that can affect spells, can also affect powers. Hence you can forge spellblades against Dispel Psionics as well.

At high levels, Basic Dispel cease to be viable dispel threats, especially if you use CL boosters (like the Ring of Enduring Arcana). Depnding on yout level, it might be possible to get CL so hight, that even with max caster level (subject to their low CL cap) and max roll, they still have no effect. Hence, you might actually want to forgo spellblades against these.

Instead, Spelltheft, Greater Dispel, Chain Dispel and Reaving Dispel (and Dispel Psionics) become more likely.

Karoht
2013-01-10, 11:08 AM
Harm. That is, if you don't have another way to be immune to negative energy. Soulfire Enchantment or Deathward are the prefered methods. And a loss of 150 HP on a failed save is still a big deal. The ability to absorb that, and throw it back at someone else? Very handy.

Enervation. Again, if you can't be immune to negative energy based attacks, be at least immune to this spell. And remember, spellcasters don't wait until they are immune to these effects before applying them against others. So chances are that unless the caster is undead, you being able to redirect that Enervation back at the caster (or a mook or something) is going to be pretty awesome. Possibly 'save the day' worthy even.

LTwerewolf
2013-01-10, 11:17 AM
Negative energy is pretty easy to become immune to. An item of continuous death ward or death ward at will and that's handled.

I would say if you don't have an easy means of getting out of some of the other save or loses you could go with those, such as dominate person, glitterdust, etc.

Karoht
2013-01-10, 11:33 AM
Negative energy is pretty easy to become immune to. An item of continuous death ward or death ward at will and that's handled.

I would say if you don't have an easy means of getting out of some of the other save or loses you could go with those, such as dominate person, glitterdust, etc.
Deathward at Will is available as a +1 enchantment I think? It's once per day?
Deathward continuous is much more expensive (Soulfire enchant means a +5 armor/shield). Spellblade is pretty cheap comparatively. I was more listing it as an option, not a comprehensive protection.

Girallion's Blessing grants you extra arms. Wield Spellblades in all of them. On top of shoulder spikes, knee spikes, shield spike, mouthpick, and any other possibilities.
Oh, and for the record, the Dancing effect does not count as you wielding the blade, I remember reading that somewhere. Your DM probably won't allow a Dancing Spellblade to function, clear it with your DM first to be sure.

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-10, 12:40 PM
A small quarter staff is a one handed weapon for a medium character per the SRD. It is also a double weapon. Hold 2 for 4 weapons. There are rules for boot blades in complete scoundrel, I think, and other hidden weapons that are not wielded by hands. That, plus armor spikes and mouth pick is 8.

I would consider a divination or two as well. Nothing like not just being immune to a common divination, but actually having the spell reverse and scry them back is awesome. Check to see if this is even possible.

herrhauptmann
2013-01-10, 05:47 PM
A small quarter staff is a one handed weapon for a medium character per the SRD. It is also a double weapon. Hold 2 for 4 weapons. There are rules for boot blades in complete scoundrel, I think, and other hidden weapons that are not wielded by hands. That, plus armor spikes and mouth pick is 8.

I would consider a divination or two as well. Nothing like not just being immune to a common divination, but actually having the spell reverse and scry them back is awesome. Check to see if this is even possible.

I don't want to go overboard on the spellblades...
Weapon, armorspikes, spiked gauntlet, and spiked floating shield is enough for me. Especially when they're all already smoking too.

Reversing the scrying spells is a good idea though. I guess if someone tries to scry my character 'bob smith the warrior' specifically, I get to look back at them? But if they just decide to scry the kings throne room, when 'bob smith the warrior' is in it, it probably won't work, right?

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-10, 06:41 PM
It does make it much harder to find you though. If they already know where you are, then they already know where you are. Otherwise they are just getting lucky. Mindblank protects you from divination anyway, so it is mostly for the reversal to let you know who is looking.