PDA

View Full Version : But what if I die?

sambouchah
2013-01-09, 07:38 PM
All of the players in my group are concerned with death in our current campaign, except one orc and I. If one of us dies we roll a new character and join back in at an appropriate time. So I need inspiration for a back up character. I am currently a dwarven necromancer(cleric of death soon to multiclass into wizard[necromancer] and then true necromancer) and would enjoy playing another heavy spellcaster since no one else in the group understands magic well enough too. A pale master, elemental savant or Master of the unseen hand are some prestige classes I am interested in. If you have any divine suggestions those are welcome as well.

Thanks, Sam

Malroth
2013-01-09, 07:47 PM
I'd go with a Beguiler pretending to be a normal thief and secretly mind control the big dumb fighter types when they least suspect it.

sambouchah
2013-01-09, 07:49 PM
I'd go with a Beguiler pretending to be a normal thief and secretly mind control the big dumb fighter types when they least suspect it.

Which book is beguiler from? I've seen it somewhere(in one of mine) but I can't remember where

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-09, 07:50 PM
Player's Handbook II

Darth Stabber
2013-01-09, 07:53 PM
True necromancer is terrible, imagine a worse mystic theurge. Dread Necromancer or Cleric are the way to go if you want to play a decent necromancer of the "hordes of the walking dead" variety.

sambouchah
2013-01-09, 07:54 PM
Player's Handbook II

Thanks! Any suggestions yourself? @Gavinfoxx

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-01-09, 07:56 PM
I misread Malroth's post. I second Beguiler. It's pretty straightforward to build (Beguiler 20 is perfectly fine), but just look up Versatile Spellcaster from Races of the Dragon.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-01-09, 07:57 PM
I'd advise you to go into Prestige Bard (Unearthed Arcana/SRD), advancing Beguiler. Nothing smells better than a +2 caster level to pretty much your entire spell list. And Bardic Music.

You would need to blow a feat on Apprentice (DMG II) to get perform, mind, and you'd have a maximum of 8th level spells, but personaly, I think it's worth it.

sambouchah
2013-01-09, 08:13 PM
What about playing a thrallheard with levels as a spell caster? It is a psionically enhanced campaign by the by

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-09, 08:17 PM
Suggestions? Never, ever, ever use True Necromancer. Trust me. It's... really really really bad.

nedz
2013-01-09, 08:20 PM
You could play a Spirit Shaman and hold seances with your dead characters.
Pure fluff, of course, but its a fun class non the less.

sambouchah
2013-01-09, 08:20 PM
Suggestions? Never, ever, ever use True Necromancer. Trust me. It's... really really really bad.

Hahaha that has been establishedxD I'll do another thread about my current character and re working him a bit(so I don't do true necromancer)