PDA

View Full Version : Seeking half-manifester int-based PrC

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-09, 09:24 PM
So, I'm looking for some kind of PrC that grants manifesting based on Intelligence. Note, not one that advances existing manifesting. I am already aware of the psionic assassin variant.

Thanks for helping, and please remember to source/link me.

Edge of Dreams
2013-01-09, 09:28 PM
So, not the Psion base class in Expanded Psionics Handbook that already has psionics based on Intelligence? You specifically want a Prestige Class that grants a manifesting progression? Why not Psion?

Darth Stabber
2013-01-09, 09:30 PM
Warmind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/warMind.htm) is close with self contained wisdom based manifestation. I could see modifying it for int, but it's wis as is. If you want to play pretend, you could dip one level of psion and move into slayer, it's not actually a self contained casting prc, but you can pretend.

AmberVael
2013-01-09, 09:44 PM
So, I'm looking for some kind of PrC that grants manifesting based on Intelligence. Note, not one that advances existing manifesting. I am already aware of the psionic assassin variant.

Thanks for helping, and please remember to source/link me.

I don't believe there is one. Even Psychic Assassin just progresses a previous class.

I just did my best to double check through my books for all psionic prestige classes, including setting specific books, and there are only a few psionic prestige classes with their own manifesting, and those that DO have their own manifesting use Wisdom.

You might find something in dragon magazine or homebrew. Might.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-09, 09:45 PM
@Edge: Already maxed out my disparity b/t favored and non-favored classes with this build. Short of a major rebuild (not possible at the current time, but maybe something to consider), a PrC is what I'm seeking.

Looking to pick up some kind of manifesting from a PrC; my character is optimized for Int, but it so happens that my Cha is 18, good enough. Any Cha.-based half-manifesting PrC?

Answerer
2013-01-09, 09:49 PM
@Edge: Already maxed out my disparity b/t favored and non-favored classes with this build. Short of a major rebuild (not possible at the current time, but maybe something to consider), a PrC is what I'm seeking.
What you really should do is find a sane game where those rules are not enforced. They're awful.

Looking to pick up some kind of manifesting from a PrC; my character is optimized for Int, but it so happens that my Cha is 18, good enough. Any Cha.-based half-manifesting PrC?
Anyway, the Psionic Assassin in Secrets of Sarlona (not the Psychic Assassin from Mind's Eye) does have Int-based Manifesting and is a Prestige Class.

AmberVael
2013-01-09, 09:55 PM
Anyway, the Psionic Assassin in Secrets of Sarlona (not the Pschic Assassin from Mind's Eye) does have Int-based Manifesting and is a Prestige Class.

I love how swiftly this board can prove me wrong. :smalltongue:

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-09, 11:32 PM
Sadly, I already knew about psionic assassin variant/ACF. All of the flavor/fluff/alignment stuff from the base assassin PrC is not going to jive, which is too bad, cause some of those spells/powers would be great.

As background, I have nerfed myself down to grey elf int-based monk/wiz/abj champ for an into-the-epic-level-realm campaign. Well aware of optimization issues. I was looking to see if there was some kind of quick prc dip that would allow me to pick up elocator prc (XPH), since that would be super cool for mobility and synergy with Sun School feat (third benefit). It's a bit of a stretch, but I was trying to pinpoint my flavor, kind of shunpo/lightning step enabled monk gish.

Yes, I know swordsage is superior. As I said, a conscious nerf to my own optimization. I relish a challenge, and I can already unload the pwn with a few party buffs, wraithstrike, (grtr) mighty wallop, and such. Any more pwn would take the edge off of the boss fights.

Now you know the full story, in any case. Thanks for the help. I may have to ring my DM's bell about stripping the evil/murderer fluff from assassin. Not sure that's gonna fly.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-01-09, 11:45 PM
You know, if you've only got one or two Monk levels, a single level of Psion is not going to cause you a multiclassing XP penalty. Psion 1 with Practiced Manifester for your feat easily qualifies you for Psychic Assassin, and a reasonable flavor fix for it would be to dump the Death Attack class feature in exchange for waiving the alignment and special prerequisites.

Consider the build Monk 1/ Wizard 4/ Enlightened Fist 5/ Master of the East Wind 10, which gets 18/20 casting and 16/20 Monk abilities. Master of the East Wind is from Dragon 314.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-10, 12:00 AM
You know, if you've only got one or two Monk levels, a single level of Psion is not going to cause you a multiclassing XP penalty. Psion 1 with Practiced Manifester for your feat easily qualifies you for Psychic Assassin, and a reasonable flavor fix for it would be to dump the Death Attack class feature in exchange for waiving the alignment and special prerequisites.

Consider the build Monk 1/ Wizard 4/ Enlightened Fist 5/ Master of the East Wind 10, which gets 18/20 casting and 16/20 Monk abilities. Master of the East Wind is from Dragon 314.

I love you guys. I left one thing out of my summary, and that is my rather voluminous backstory. Before the campaign began, I was 20th level monk with Timeless Body. Then I needed to study magic to defeat powerful enemies, so I rebuilt in some wizard, but my character failed to account for how not continuing monk training would impact her combat ability. Then everyone she loved died horribly (husband and children erased from existence...very fluff...she's the only one that remembers them). She managed to struggle on, but as old age set in, even her memories of her loved ones began to fade. Essentially was defeated by old age and a superior enemy whom she had no chance of beating.

Campaign begins with reborn with a new mission, new life, cool DM-granted powers, and all of her previous class abilities. It remains true, however, that she can't lose Timeless Body. So, Monk 17/Wiz 1/AbjChamp 2.

Critique away, but story pretty much ate a good bit of my optimization. Not that I can't hack it anyway, and story is king with my characters. Otherwise, I love the suggestions.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-01-10, 12:09 AM
Monk 17 isn't the only way to get Timeless Body (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137153).

You could switch your race to a Killoren (RotW) or an Elan (XPH), since they never die of old age he could be absolutely ancient.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-10, 11:48 AM
Mmm, granted, those are good options. But I had already got my story for a grey elf monk girl. Timeless Body helped optimize, but eventually it became more for the story aspect of her having literally spent a couple centuries after the loss of her family trying to find a way to get revenge. In the end, though, not even an young body kept her from feeling the weight of the years, and she decided to leave the struggle against evil to the next generation, whom she'd been tutoring.

Basically, I wanted her to die of old age, having not really retired or given in to despair, just ready to let go.

Fluffily fluffy fluffstuff, but I got attached to the character concept over the month or so I had to design the character. Also, didn't find out about Master of the East Wind until done with design. Maybe some future rebuild can incorporate some of that.

Thanks again for everyone's good advice. Constantly surprised by how fast this forum is with the answers, not to mention auto-quality control. GOOD WORK.

Answerer
2013-01-10, 12:09 PM
Sadly, I already knew about psionic assassin variant/ACF. All of the flavor/fluff/alignment stuff from the base assassin PrC is not going to jive, which is too bad, cause some of those spells/powers would be great.

[...]

Thanks for the help. I may have to ring my DM's bell about stripping the evil/murderer fluff from assassin. Not sure that's gonna fly.
Gonna be honest, more and more this game sounds pretty bad.

Anyway, the solution here is for some variant chaining. Take Assassin, trade spells for powers with the Psionic variant, and then trade Evil for Non-chaotic with the Avenger (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a) variant. If you've got as pedantic a DM as you seem to, it might help your case. It's much more in line with the role of Psionic Assassins in Sarlona anyway.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-10, 12:57 PM
Oh, excellent, that sounds good. I remember there being some stuff about non-evil assassins, and it should work in well with the fluff. We just traveled to Eberron as well, so that is a good link for me to choose assassin variants from there, and to ignore the alignment strictures for stuff in the manner of that setting.

Yeah, the DM does like to go by the book. He's not as experienced with the handwave or resourceful enough to automatically know the best way to keep a leash on the players, so I think he sticks as close to RAW as possible for security. Overall, he's a good DM, though, and not at all as bad as some of the stranger tales of DMs traded round these parts.

Contrariwise, if I can point him to where the rules say I can do something differently than they said somewhere else, then I can usually expect a fair hearing. So thanks for the references.

Answerer
2013-01-10, 01:33 PM
Alignment stuff... isn't exactly waived, per se, but is dramatically loosened in Eberron anyway.