PDA

View Full Version : Only War: Armoured Fist OOC

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

LeSwordfish
2013-01-30, 07:28 AM
I'm tempted to say your eviscerator's jammed. Luckily the "Weapon Jam" rules specify "ranged" attacks.

(Though not ranged weapons so i guess you could jam a knife.)

(Also melee attacks arent ranged so you could argue the autocannon guy's pistol doesn't jam. But that's clearly RAI)

EDIT: Map up! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13673854/RPG/Armoured%20Fist/digsite_base_round5.jpg

Caimheul
2013-01-30, 10:08 AM
I'm tempted to say your eviscerator's jammed. Luckily the "Weapon Jam" rules specify "ranged" attacks.

(Though not ranged weapons so i guess you could jam a knife.)

(Also melee attacks arent ranged so you could argue the autocannon guy's pistol doesn't jam. But that's clearly RAI)

Second sentence of Weapon Jams on page 255 of the core rulebook (actual release, not beta) "An unmodified result of 96 to 00 on a Ranged attack, in addition to being an automatic miss, also indicates the weapon has jammed." So looks like they just forgot to specify "ranged weapons" in the first sentence to indicate that they are the only type that suffer from jamming. Unless they just forgot to specify how melee weapons jam (unlikely).
EDIT: using a pistol in melee is still considered a "ranged attack"

RandomLunatic
2013-01-30, 04:01 PM
Shouldn't that guy have checked for blood loss-induced death? Granted, his attack failed anyway, but it would save me the trouble of manually running him through.

Also, how come the rules do not forbid standing up after getting your leg hacked off?:smallconfused: Is this WH40K or Monty Python? (I swear, first "flesh wound" joke and somebody is going to get hurt.)

watupwithdat
2013-01-30, 04:06 PM
Shouldn't that guy have checked for blood loss-induced death? Granted, his attack failed anyway, but it would save me the trouble of manually running him through.

Also, how come the rules do not forbid standing up after getting your leg hacked off?:smallconfused: Is this WH40K or Monty Python? (I swear, first "flesh wound" joke and somebody is going to get hurt.)
I'm pretty sure you die if your leg is hacked off? That would be a 8+ critical or something. Perhaps there's a less severe version of it.

RandomLunatic
2013-01-30, 04:13 PM
Well, the specific crit he took allows a Toughness check to not die-which he made.

Of course, now that I look, said crit also automatically stuns for 1d10 turns if you survive, so he should have been able to stand anyway...

LeSwordfish
2013-01-30, 04:24 PM
My mistake. Confused Rending and Impact damage. He's stunned, at least until the end of the combat.

SlyJohnny
2013-01-30, 04:36 PM
Second sentence of Weapon Jams on page 255 of the core rulebook (actual release, not beta) *snip*

He knows, it's cool. I don't think he was debating the rules, merely enjoying and attempting to compound my misery :P

Edit: One in fifty miss chance. Bah. His next turn, this dude will whip my ass into unconsciousness, and then escape the battlefield, (dodging the hail of autocannon rounds sent his way,) to become the master villain of this campaign. Watch.

watupwithdat
2013-01-30, 04:42 PM
Edit: One in fifty miss chance. Bah. His next turn, this dude will whip my ass into unconsciousness, and then escape the battlefield, (dodging the hail of autocannon rounds sent his way,) to become the master villain of this campaign. Watch.

That depends on if Cronyn can see him or not. :smalltongue:

SlyJohnny
2013-01-30, 04:51 PM
That depends on if Cronyn can see him or not. :smalltongue:

Your sniper rifle has a 1/25 chance of jamming! He just survived a 1/50 miss chance! You think he cares about 1/25? What do you mean "probability doesn't work that way"?! Exclamation marks!

This dude laughs at the odds. He will probably hit and kill you and your spotter with wild autofire when he shoots his lasrifle over his shoulder to cover his escape!

watupwithdat
2013-01-30, 04:59 PM
Your sniper rifle has a 1/25 chance of jamming! He just survived a 1/50 miss chance! You think he cares about 1/25? What do you mean "probability doesn't work that way"?! Exclamation marks!

This dude laughs at the odds. He will probably hit and kill you and your spotter with wild autofire when he shoots his lasrifle over his shoulder to cover his escape!

1/100 to jam, actually. It's Reliable. :smallsmile:

Edit: Seems I forgot what reliable does. Corrected.

SlyJohnny
2013-01-30, 05:03 PM
Oh, for real? I thought that was just long-las', not sniper rifles. Neat!

LeSwordfish
2013-01-30, 05:09 PM
I don't think Cronyn can see him, I think he's too close to the burning building.

RandomLunatic
2013-01-30, 05:21 PM
Re-doing my failed attack roll.
[roll0] versus 72.

Looks like it is a good turn to be a heretic in melee.

LeSwordfish
2013-01-30, 05:27 PM
I'm gonna quickly post up the [roll0] turns stunned in case it comes out as a 1.

watupwithdat
2013-01-30, 05:45 PM
I don't think Cronyn can see him, I think he's too close to the burning building.

Who, apart from the guy he just shot, can Cronyn see then?

DaedalusMkV
2013-01-30, 06:49 PM
The Grenadier made his Ag test against the Heavy Flamer again... :smalltongue:

This is getting kind of silly. The enemy is avoiding everything we do, no matter how unlikely. I mean, there's basically nobody left fighting except the trooper Sarge is failing miserably against, but still.

I'm in the same position as Cronyn. Is there any active target not engaged in melee with a raging guy with an Eviscerator that Varuck can see at this point? Also, I am sad that the enemy dodged that beautiful shot... Why do all of the enemies have Dodge trained and an Ag of 40 or so? It's not even fair... :smallwink:

watupwithdat
2013-01-30, 07:30 PM
This is getting kind of silly. The enemy is avoiding everything we do, no matter how unlikely. I mean, there's basically nobody left fighting except the trooper Sarge is failing miserably against, but still.

I'm in the same position as Cronyn. Is there any active target not engaged in melee with a raging guy with an Eviscerator that Varuck can see at this point? Also, I am sad that the enemy dodged that beautiful shot... Why do all of the enemies have Dodge trained and an Ag of 40 or so? It's not even fair... :smallwink:

Hey, Cronyn hasn't missed a shot yet. :smallcool: He's totally earning his pay.

Caimheul
2013-01-30, 08:15 PM
He knows, it's cool. I don't think he was debating the rules, merely enjoying and attempting to compound my misery :P

I figured as much, just was pointing out that they cleared up the confusion in the second sentence/the real release. :smallsmile:
Of course it could be explained as the Eviserator's chain skipping, or needing to be re-reved. And as for knives, they could always get stuck in walls, or the enemy's armour... :smallwink:

Right. So time to try my hand at these blighters with their melee ranged luck shields...

EDIT:
SNIP...Why do all of the enemies have Dodge trained and an Ag of 40 or so? It's not even fair... :smallwink:
Well, I'm sure LeSwordfish had to do SOMETHING considering we collectively have an initiative of win...:smallbiggrin:

watupwithdat
2013-01-30, 11:15 PM
I believe you forgot to add SB to the damage of the improvised rifle melee attack. Though I'm pretty sure it will be 0 damage anyway due to AP and TB. :smalltongue:

RandomLunatic
2013-01-30, 11:16 PM
Close Quarters just grants the Outnumbering bonus, even if the target is not actually outnumbered. Although, in this case, since there are no less than 4 Guardsmen dogpiling this guy, that should be good for +20. Add another +20 for him being stunned and you just hit him for something like 8 or 9 DoS, which you can use on your damage roll to finally finish him off. Also, you forgot to add your SB.

Also, in the future, lets never melee anybody ever again. Everything was going great until Sly wanted to get medieval.:smallfrown:

watupwithdat
2013-01-30, 11:17 PM
Ah yes. DoS replacement. Good observation.

Not sure why any of you would run into melee with improvised weaponry. :smallbiggrin:

RandomLunatic
2013-01-30, 11:30 PM
Improvised nothing. I was using my bayonet to bring the purge right to the heretic.

That and I noticed that overkill with energy weapons have a pretty good chance of making the target explode, which is not a desirable outcome at point-blank range.

Caimheul
2013-01-30, 11:41 PM
Close Quarters just grants the Outnumbering bonus, even if the target is not actually outnumbered. Although, in this case, since there are no less than 4 Guardsmen dogpiling this guy, that should be good for +20. Add another +20 for him being stunned and you just hit him for something like 8 or 9 DoS, which you can use on your damage roll to finally finish him off. Also, you forgot to add your SB.

Also, in the future, lets never melee anybody ever again. Everything was going great until Sly wanted to get medieval.:smallfrown:
Right SB and DoS replacement. Knew i forgot something. Also ganging up specifically says "characters" so i don't think companions count... Also iirc primitive weapons can't roll more than their value.

Ah yes. DoS replacement. Good observation.

Not sure why any of you would run into melee with improvised weaponry. :smallbiggrin:
Hey, i was just trying to grant an outnumbering bonus!

LeSwordfish
2013-01-31, 04:20 AM
Cronyn can't see anyone but his old target. Varuck's in much the same position.

LeSwordfish
2013-01-31, 07:29 AM
The Grenadier made his Ag test against the Heavy Flamer again... :smalltongue:

They're variants on the Guardsman profile, which has ag35 and dodge trained. Their gear is scaled down slightly, though.

LeSwordfish
2013-01-31, 05:33 PM
Round 7(?)

Cronyn
Varuck
Mothru
Jarren
Wolfe
Doyle
Enemies

Cronyn
5 Damage to the guy at the building's body. Takes a +9 crit: Dead.

Varuck
Ready to shoot trooper 1 if he disengages.

Mothru
Fails to hit a barn door with a banjo.

Jarren
Fails to hit a barn door with a laser-guided banjo.

Wolfe
I'm going to call that a successful charge and kill out of sheer pity. Guy in rubble is dead.

Doyle
Fails to hit a barn door with a flamethrower Actually the guy's stunned from the fire damage he took last turn- he's dead. Dead with a 10+ critical which means, that's right, secondary explosions. [roll0]m, [roll1] damage.

Next round: a whole bunch of grenades detonate.

I could just roll trooper 1's fight now but i'll save it for after the grenade results. Grenade fails to get him. Had i rolled a three it would have got him but not Jarren, which would have been some kind of perfect.

Word of the day: Zeblanity: bad luck occuring just as expected, the opposite of serendipity.

LeSwordfish
2013-01-31, 05:48 PM
Okay, the unhittable trooper one fights back.

Half action Knockdown attempt [roll3] vs Jarren's [roll4] Christ al-stinking-mighty, he wins. Jarren is knocked Prone and must stand in his next turn.

Half action Standard Attack: [roll0] to hit vs 45, 55 for a success on the knockdown, damage [roll1], righteous fury [roll2] Hits. Righteous fury. oh god what have i done. Now i need to look up what Righteous Fury does to comrades.

LeSwordfish
2013-01-31, 05:59 PM
Alright. Rory is now Wounded- he cannot run. I'm also applying the effects of righteous fury as in to say he's stunned for a turn, though i'll waive the Blood loss.

DaedalusMkV
2013-01-31, 06:11 PM
Curse that Trooper 1. Curse him all to heck. We cannot hit him, but he wins at everything forever.

Well, Varuck can't really help until the Sarge gets out of melee. He's pretty much useless at melee combat, and too far away to get there in a reasonable amount of time to begin with.

C'mon Jarren, land that Eviscerator hit and put him down for good. 'Cause otherwise, one guy with a Lasgun is actually winning against an entire Armoured Fist squad...

LeSwordfish
2013-01-31, 06:12 PM
I'm sorely tempted by this "main antagonist" thing. We're even setting up the backstory for him to be Jarren's nemesis and all.

(I.E if you want to throw the fight for story reasons...)

watupwithdat
2013-01-31, 06:25 PM
Not to ruin your fun of causing ZH swordfish, but both Knockdown and Standard Attacks are actions with the Attack subtype, which means you cannot do both in the same turn. Only one action with the Attack subtype is possible, which is the same with the Concentration subtype.

LeSwordfish
2013-01-31, 06:34 PM
Not to ruin your fun of causing ZH swordfish, but both Knockdown and Standard Attacks are actions with the Attack subtype, which means you cannot do both in the same turn. Only one action with the Attack subtype is possible, which is the same with the Concentration subtype.

Huh. You're completely right. I missed the inability to make two actions of the same type.

Okay then, Jarren is knocked down and the seperatist makes a half action move away. Rory goes undamaged... this time.

I don't THINK Rory gets to make the free attack for a fleeing enemy though- i'd argue that comrades are mostly just bundles of special rules, and Rory should be affected by the successful Knockdown on Jarren anyway.

watupwithdat
2013-01-31, 06:37 PM
Huh. You're completely right. I missed the inability to make two actions of the same type.

Okay then, Jarren is knocked down and the seperatist makes a half action move away. Rory goes undamaged... this time.

As it was a comrade it wouldn't have made so much of a difference I believe as they're kinda expendable, but still. ^^

LeSwordfish
2013-01-31, 06:41 PM
Seperatist moves 3m away in a slightly south-east direction, moving him up onto the decking of the building and out of the grenade's detonation radius. I don't think we need a map any more.

watupwithdat
2013-01-31, 06:50 PM
Seperatist moves 3m away in a slightly south-east direction, moving him up onto the decking of the building and out of the grenade's detonation radius. I don't think we need a map any more.

Probably not. You just tell me when Cronyn can shoot him. :smallbiggrin:

RandomLunatic
2013-01-31, 10:31 PM
So then would he be visible through the flames or what?

SlyJohnny
2013-02-01, 12:43 AM
This guy. This freaking guy.

DaedalusMkV
2013-02-01, 02:09 AM
Well, Varuck still has at least one more opportunity to shoot him down before he starts sprinting away. At least, I hope so. I'll make the IC post to that effect soon.

LeSwordfish
2013-02-01, 02:54 AM
For future reference you DO get the free attack, and i don't see anything to suggest it doesn't get the +1 for standard attack.

watupwithdat
2013-02-01, 03:03 AM
For future reference you DO get the free attack, and i don't see anything to suggest it doesn't get the +1 for standard attack.

Box on page 177. Free Standard Attack.

DaedalusMkV
2013-02-01, 03:24 AM
Well, barring a really lucky dodge I think Varuck might have bagged that silly invincible Heretic. *Fingers Crossed*

SlyJohnny
2013-02-01, 04:10 AM
I've been a real goldbrick this combat. Still, whatcha gonna do. Hopefully I'll be useful next time :)

LeSwordfish
2013-02-01, 04:17 AM
Quickly roll that dodge to see if the combat is over [roll0]

OH COME ON

CHRIST

DaedalusMkV
2013-02-01, 04:36 AM
Quickly roll that dodge to see if the combat is over [roll0]

OH COME ON

CHRIST

:smalleek:...
:smallannoyed:...
:smallfurious:

I have no words. He can just go ahead and leave, it's clear that we can't stop him...

DrK
2013-02-01, 05:17 AM
Can we just let him go? Move on with the hunt for our objective.

SlyJohnny
2013-02-01, 05:25 AM
NO. Now that he has expended his dodge, I am going to shoot him in the back of the head. If that doesn't work, I am going to chase him down and duel him, Highlander style, until one of us is dead.

LeSwordfish
2013-02-01, 06:06 AM
I think Cronyn gets him anyway.

Also remember Jarren is still Frenzied.

Edit: wait, did someone ask this? No, neither Torin nor Wolfe can see the incredible dodging man. Cronyn can't now, but will be able to when he moves away.

LeSwordfish
2013-02-01, 05:12 PM
Gonna throw the combat update up now since i'm busy doing backstage stuff over the weekend. Montru can't really do much anyway.

Relevant ones: Jarren stands, Varuck misses, Cronyn delays, Artful Dodger moves, Cronyn shoots him to hell.

Jarren is JUST outside the cooking off grenade's radius, some mental pythagoras suggests. Good, because there's like half a dozen of them.

Dodger takes 26 damage, -3 for TB, takes a +13 impact crit to the leg. Dead. And screaming.

Combat time is now over, unless you want to shoot the worker. Well done for doing so well in your inaugural fight: i'm happy with how that went.

Awareness tests from everybody but Cronyn and Wolfe please. Wolfe has already passed his. Also tech-use tests for auspex scans, if you want.

RandomLunatic
2013-02-01, 05:33 PM
Well nuts, ninja'd.

[roll0] Versus 34-20 (untrained)

SlyJohnny
2013-02-02, 01:35 PM
Rolling Willpower to end Frenzy here, as it makes a difference to my IC post.

SlyJohnny
2013-02-02, 01:36 PM
...Which requires me to actually put a roll in, huh.

[roll0]

DrK
2013-02-02, 02:45 PM
Is the long las dodhy or will I be okay thieving it? Shame the launcher and melta were trashed. Shall we steal the autocannon and store her in the Nox for emergencies.

LeSwordfish
2013-02-02, 09:51 PM
Emestos is, from what you've seen and what Varuck would know, pretty hard-line. Salo would probably be okay with looted weapons, if blessed by Varuck. Emestos would not.

The long-las is not visibly dodgy, though it is obviously different to your standard gear.

RandomLunatic
2013-02-02, 11:13 PM
I should probably roll something for looting, huh?

[roll0] versus 32-20 (Untrained)

LeSwordfish
2013-02-03, 09:09 AM
Only other thing to notice is that if Varuck wants to take the awareness test as well feel free to read the spoiler.

SlyJohnny
2013-02-03, 01:00 PM
Going to take multiple Willpower tests at the increasing bonus to see how long it takes me to chill out.

Round 2: [roll0]
Round 3: [roll1]
Round 4: [roll2]
Round 5: [roll3]

SlyJohnny
2013-02-03, 01:03 PM
Incidentally, do we get exp for this?

LeSwordfish
2013-02-03, 01:14 PM
XP, fate, and such will be done at the end of the mission, which this isn't yet.

Caimheul
2013-02-04, 01:21 PM
So as far as I know there is only one injury, which only amounts to 3 wounds lost. Is this correct? I'm just making sure I don't need to make any medicae rolls. First Aid restores 5 + DoS wounds, but can only be applied to a given individual ONCE in 24 hours in this system. Something to keep in mind.

SlyJohnny
2013-02-04, 01:53 PM
Oh, for real? I thought it was per injury or something, but you're doubtless correct. Yeah, I agree with the decision to wait :)

Caimheul
2013-02-04, 02:14 PM
Oh, for real? I thought it was per injury or something, but you're doubtless correct. Yeah, I agree with the decision to wait :)

Yeah... the DW/DH/RT rules all (I think) use "treated" and "untreated" wound rules, OW just does once a day... BUT can always remove that amount, starting with Critical Damage. So if First aid is used on a character with 2 Critical Damage, on a success with no degress of suceess I'd heal the 2 Critical Wounds, and then 3 regular wounds. There is a penalty to the test for the patient being Heavily Wounded or Critically Wounded, so it's better to hit me up for healing before becoming heavily damaged!

LeSwordfish
2013-02-04, 02:30 PM
Linguistics (Low Gothic) or Navigation (Surface) +10 to find the relevant information in the documents.

Caimheul
2013-02-07, 04:53 PM
Linguistics (Low Gothic) or Navigation (Surface) +10 to find the relevant information in the documents.

So what were the results of Wolfe's test? I think his success might be why other players aren't making any tests...

LeSwordfish
2013-02-07, 07:14 PM
Sorry, one of those intermittent bursts of busywork.

Navigation information
On one of the tables is a miraculously unburnt map of the city, and the hills and peaks around it. It's extensively sketched upon with red ink- lines, crosses. Most of the crosses have themselves been scribbled out, but a few haven't. One you recognise as your current location, a park by the city center. They're numbered, and site three is not crossed out. It's on the edge of the city to the north-west, an industrial site. Grid reference 884 626. From the look of things, one of the other squads in your platoon should be assaulting it right now.

If you want to state exactly what data you're passing up to the commander (Anyone can do it, via microbead>chimera>command) then go ahead, if nothing by, say, tomorrow evening i'll press on regardless.

Caimheul
2013-02-07, 07:17 PM
Sorry, one of those intermittent bursts of busywork. Full post tomorrow.

No worries!

LeSwordfish
2013-02-07, 07:34 PM
I doublechecked and we'd be waiting on doyle's report anyway so i edited that last post.

DrK
2013-02-07, 10:14 PM
What report from Doyle? I think our dogged driver is just sitting and waiting for directions. Are we pursuing or RTB?

SlyJohnny
2013-02-07, 10:16 PM
I already reported in to HQ and asking for further orders, but if someone tells me we found something, I'll report that, too, and ask to go assist the other squad. But mostly I'm waiting for further orders.

LeSwordfish
2013-02-09, 11:30 AM
Okay, i'm off out in a second so i'll put the OOC post up here and do an IC later.

The arteria looks largely like this (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=westway&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=0bsUUbyNK8mS0QWRsIHACw&biw=1600&bih=785&sei=1LsUUbKrEY-00QWpoIGYBg#um=1&hl=en&tbo=d&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=westway+london&oq=westway+london&gs_l=img.3...39577.40815.0.41213.7.7.0.0.0.0.0.0.. 0.0...0.0...1c.1.2.img.UjmIpaXdji8&fp=1&biw=1600&bih=785&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&cad=b&sei=pnUWUYvXBeLB0QWZkIDwBg) and runs at some places over the city, some at rooftop height, and some below it. Give me specifics for where you want to set up.

Doyle should make a Operate (Surface) test: i'll modify the difficulty based on where you say you're setting up: "Up onto the Arteria" is easier than "The roof of a nearby building", say.

Anyone not with the chimera should make an agility test. Again, this is changed by where you say you're headed, and if you have a relevant skill like Athletics, add +20 to the roll.

Jarren should make a command test: if he passes, everyone gets a +10.

If you want to try other things, make whatever test you feel is most relevant instead. Demolitions, concealment, whatever. I'm open to creativity.

Put these rolls in spoilers. That way I can give them a fair bonus or penalty without being biased by knowing the roll beforehand.

RandomLunatic
2013-02-09, 02:54 PM
Too bad we do not have any land mines...

Anyways, I want to find a spot in a building near but above the road, so I can fire/throw things down at short range.
[roll0] versus 40 (Agility) + 20 (Athletics)

DrK
2013-02-09, 05:10 PM
See how Doyle's mad driving skills goes...

I will set-up where I'm ordered. But ideally hull down with only the turret peeking over the top to give us some decent cover.

Roll [roll0] TN 64 +/- any mods

SlyJohnny
2013-02-09, 05:38 PM
Command: vs 78 [roll0]

Just to clarify, their expected path of their retreat means they'll have to come accross the risen motorway, right? There's no way they could easily flee the battlefield by driving underneath?

I guess for me, the ideal setup is a place with buildings on the side that matches the wishes of our sniper and anyone that wants to be up on a building, at a point in the road there's lots of cover available. If we're near a building where we can easily scavenge sand bags, barrels filled with something solid, scrap wood or metal, or anything else out of which a barricade can be made, that's good. Other then that, I'd like to drag the scrap vehicles into a rough barricade (not a solid wall; something they'd theoretically try to maneuver through) and try to camouflage the chimera behind them. Ideally they'll drive into engagement rage and won't notice the Chimera isn't just another scrap vehicle until it's too late. If we have enough time, we can set up frag and krak grenades as traps behind bits of rubbish on the way up.

Of course, we might not have time for any of that fancy stuff, and a lot of it depends on what materials are available.

LeSwordfish
2013-02-10, 06:59 AM
There isn't really a way around- certainly not as fast or convenient a one.

Caimheul
2013-02-10, 10:05 PM
Right, Wolfe is going to attempt to find a location with good cover, and line of sight to the road and the Chimera. Common Lore (War) to attempt to determine a good battle order/usual way of establishing a blockade with a single chimera and squad. And just for kicks, Stealth to try to conceal himself and/or Mord.

Awareness to aid in identifying such a spot: [roll0] TN 40

Agility: [roll1] TN 40 +/- Bonuses

Common Lore (War): [roll2] TN 50

Stealth: [roll3] TN 20 (40 -20)

watupwithdat
2013-02-10, 10:28 PM
I suppose Cronyn and Trenn would get out of the vehicle some hundred meters from the area to find an elevated building with a good view of the place. Range doesn't matter much, line of sight does though, so 150-400m is good.

No idea what to test, if I need to test something at all to find a tallish building or elevated thing with good line of sight.

Random tests, apply what's needed:
Awareness (don't think it's needed to find an elevated location as those shouldn't be very hidden :smalltongue:) [roll0] vs 13 +/- ?
Agility (not sure what for) [roll1] vs 47 +/- ?
Stealth (people probably have so much penalties to detect someone at this range so might not be needed) [roll2] vs 47 +/- ?

LeSwordfish
2013-02-13, 07:46 AM
Alright. I was waiting for Daedalus but we might as well move on as much as is possible.

Montru
Near but above the road, lets call that a +20. Which means you JUST pass.

Doyle
Hull-down, there's enough cover on the road, lets say +10. Nope, no success- though did you include the tracked vehicle's bonus in terrain to your roll?

Jarren
Failed command test, requests for location taken into account. I meant for the command test to be in addition to your other test, so feel free to take an action as well.

Wolfe
Since I'm by no means expert on standard military tactics, I'll give a +10 to the common lore test and allow it to stand in for Jarren's Command test, if passed.
Agility +20, same as Montru. Stealth is pretty easy, call it +20 again. All failed, shame.

Are you trying to take a position in the buildings at road level or roof level?

Cronyn
Trying to get that far from the chimera would be difficult. Call it +0. Agility test (for doing the climbing and such to reach your preferred location) failed, stealth test passed.

Varuck
You there, man? If you want to just stick with the chimera just say.

IC post and map when I get home.

watupwithdat
2013-02-13, 08:58 AM
Cronyn
Trying to get that far from the chimera would be difficult. Call it +0. Agility test (for doing the climbing and such to reach your preferred location) failed, stealth test passed.

I assumed he'd be dropped off on the way to the place, so an elevated place on the route to the location, meaning he'd not have to go far and has time to set up as they close in on the location.

Of course, would fail any agility test anyway if one was needed.

Caimheul
2013-02-13, 08:58 AM
Wolfe
Since I'm by no means expert on standard military tactics, I'll give a +10 to the common lore test and allow it to stand in for Jarren's Command test, if passed.
Agility +20, same as Montru. Stealth is pretty easy, call it +20 again. All failed, shame.

Are you trying to take a position in the buildings at road level or roof level?

Nor am I an expert, I just play a fair bit of RTS's, but figured it might be a pertinent skill for some kind of bonus in the upcoming battle. It's just unfortunate that random number generators seem to dislike me lately (both physical and digital...)
As for height... Lets say one storey above ground level. If that would be the roof, then ground level.

DaedalusMkV
2013-02-13, 03:44 PM
Varuck
You there, man? If you want to just stick with the chimera just say.

I am here, I will stick with the Chimera and I did say (I'm going to be manning the turret again, after all). I didn't know that there was anything I needed to post about.

DrK
2013-02-13, 03:47 PM
I didn't take any mod's into account. But failed by loads! The man'of the chimera is +0 so I just straight fail.

LeSwordfish
2013-02-13, 05:52 PM
Map
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13673854/RPG/Armoured%20Fist/Mission1-2/road_battle_setup.jpg

The fire escape leads perhaps thirty meters up the building- Torin and Cronyn are on the roof, as is the NPC'd Bringer.

The enemies are [roll0] meters off the top of the map. The road there is clear, more or less, so I thought there was no sense mapping it. Visible at the moment are two Salamander tanks. (Basically open-topped chimeras, for all current purposes), one on each side of the road, and 5+ foot soldiers. Successful auspex scans will reveal more details.

Sufficient numbers of the setup rolls were failed for me to feel justified in not just giving you a surprise round. Those of you who passed have got positions more like what you requested.

Initiative
Let me know if your initiative is wrong: I believe it's 4 Combat formation + 6 Wolfe's Int for most. Sometimes +2 Paranoia.

Wolfe [roll1]
Doyle and Chimera [roll2]
Varuck [roll3]
Montru [roll4]
Jarren [roll5]
Cronyn [roll6]

Salamander #1 [roll7]
Salamander #2 [roll8]
Foot soldiers [roll9]

So Varuck, Wolfe, Doyle, Montru, Jarren, Cronyn, Salamander #2, Montru, Everyone else.

RandomLunatic
2013-02-13, 06:03 PM
Montru's Init is +12 (+2 Paranoia, +4 combat Formation, +6 Mord's Int).

Also, would I need a Called Shot to drop a fire bomb right in the crew compartment of one of the Salamanders? Or would just a normal shot and placing it over the rear part of the thing do the trick?

LeSwordfish
2013-02-13, 06:22 PM
I think a normal shot would be fine, particularly taking height into account.

SlyJohnny
2013-02-13, 08:33 PM
If Varuck wouldn't mind doing suppressing fire, I think it'll be better than shooting directly; we need to slow down their escape before they push through us, and give the flankers time to shell them. I'd do it myself, but the autocannons the only weapon that can do suppressing fire from this range.

RandomLunatic
2013-02-13, 09:15 PM
That is not true-there does not seem to be any limit on range for suppressive fire. A simple las pistol can do the trick-it is just less likely to score lucky hits.

Caimheul
2013-02-13, 09:58 PM
That is not true-there does not seem to be any limit on range for suppressive fire. A simple las pistol can do the trick-it is just less likely to score lucky hits.

Pretty sure the range limit would be the maximum range of the weapon. If the weapon isn't capable of hurting someone, they aren't going to feel the need to take cover! :smallbiggrin: (Weapon's can't be fired at targets more than 4x their range characteristic away, the "targets" to be pinned would have to be within that distance.)

EDIT:

Let me know if your initiative is wrong: I believe it's 4 Combat formation + 6 Wolfe's Int for most. Sometimes +2 Paranoia.

In the interests of honesty, I wish Wolfe's int was currently that high... If Bringer was one of the sources of Combat formation we're down to a +9 (+4 Combat Formation +5 Wolfe's Int) with the paranoid members at a +11.

RandomLunatic
2013-02-13, 11:14 PM
Not really. If you interpret max range as "the maximum range in which you can reliably hit what you aim at" and not "the furthest the weapon can physically project a bullet", as I do, it would still work, since the the goal of suppression fire is to make the other guy too worried about keeping his hide in one piece to focus on ventilating yours, and simply having shots whizzing around tends to work. Scoring hits is just a bonus.

DaedalusMkV
2013-02-14, 12:38 AM

Indeed. It's much more efficient for someone else to Pin them (already done IC) and have Varuck target the enemy vehicles (which is what I'll be posting about very soon) than to Pin the enemy with our biggest gun and let everyone else take potshots against enemies in cover.

Swordfish, how many backup magazines of Autocannon rounds do we keep in the Chimera (Still have 31 left in the current one, so it shouldn't matter, but might be important in the future)? For that matter, how many reloads for the Heavy Flamer, which ran through its initial ammo supply in the last fight?

SlyJohnny
2013-02-14, 01:42 AM
Oh, for real? I vaguely remember from Dark Heresy that you can only suppress something that's within half your weapons range, so I thought only the autocannon could do it. Looks like I'm wrong about. In which case ignore my garbage and keep doing what you're doing :)

Edit: In which case, next round I'll do it from my autopistol.

LeSwordfish
2013-02-14, 04:54 AM
I'll go with my rule of four for both, so you've got three of each left. If you want to say you reloaded the flamer en route, i'm happy with that.

Caimheul
2013-02-14, 09:41 AM
Not really. If you interpret max range as "the maximum range in which you can reliably hit what you aim at" and not "the furthest the weapon can physically project a bullet", as I do, it would still work, since the the goal of suppression fire is to make the other guy too worried about keeping his hide in one piece to focus on ventilating yours, and simply having shots whizzing around tends to work. Scoring hits is just a bonus.

Considering las weapons are not using bullets, the range on them at least is the furthest the weapon's shot has enough force/energy to hurt the enemy (insert joke about the effectiveness of las weapons here). Same is reasonable for bullets, depending on the amount of propellant used. At a certain point in order to get bullets to land anywhere NEAR the target, the shooter has to be a fair distance above the target/shoot the bullet in a parabolic arc, taking into account cross winds, air temperature, gravity, even the rotation of the planet. 800 meters is to me a reasonable maximum effective distance for a sniper rifle, taking into account the modifications it would have over an autogun, especially keeping in mind that the "range" rules are a simplification of complex physics.
Also if it is the act of bullets whizzing past forcing the pinning test, then ANY full-auto and semi-auto attack should cause a pinning test, even on a miss. Since these aren't civilians, but enemy combatants who presumably have some experience of being shot at, the simple act of being shot it would presumably not be enough for them to be forced to seek cover.

EDIT: Tl;dr: The way I understand the interaction of the rules is that declaring a kill zone is "targeting" the area, and a weapon cannot be fired against targets four times their range increment away.

SlyJohnny
2013-02-14, 12:57 PM
watupwithdat, I don't think you get the +30 massive target bonus if you're not actually trying to shoot the tank, but an individual guy on it?

DrK
2013-02-14, 06:35 PM
I've nothing to add this round. We are hull down waiting for flamer range...

watupwithdat
2013-02-14, 08:31 PM
watupwithdat, I don't think you get the +30 massive target bonus if you're not actually trying to shoot the tank, but an individual guy on it?

The tank is the target and using Called Shot to shoot a specific part of the target (which would be the individual) I believe it works out like as per Open-topped on page 213. Would be the same thing if I used Called Shot to shoot a size Massive individual in the head.

RandomLunatic
2013-02-17, 05:28 PM
Isn't that everybody? What are we waiting on?

LeSwordfish
2013-02-17, 05:59 PM
Me, probably. Sorry, been AFK for some time this weekend. Working on updates for various things now.

LeSwordfish
2013-02-17, 06:35 PM
Firstly, can I ask where you guys are getting this "delay" rule from? Where you're going later in the turn? There is a Delay action, but that only allows you to take a half action. I kinda like the spirit of it but i can't find the letter.

Turn One
Varuck

Firstly if your servitor using an autogun to support a cannon don't work for you, i'm happy to say it's using rangefinders or a laser sight or something.

Anyway, three SI damage to the nearest Salamander, which i'm gonna say is #1. Remind me at the end of the mission and i'll find/make some rules for AP autocannon rounds, since this is your main AA weapon.

Wolfe
No hits, but pinning tests.

Doyle
Waiting.

Montru
Comm tech hit, ignited. Salamander hit but not ignited. No damage to Salamander, 9 damage to comm tech and any other guys hit. [roll0] other guys within the radius, [roll1] [roll2] [roll3] to dodge. Extra pinning tests, [roll4] [roll5] [roll6].

Jarren
Command stuffs.

Cronyn
Crit 4 to the body of the Commander of salamander #1, [roll7] to not be knocked down.

LeSwordfish
2013-02-17, 07:07 PM
Okay bad guys.

Salamander #1 and crew
Commander knocked down and away from gun on a +4 crit. Continues moving at double tactical speed. Now 9m from top of road, on left.

Salamander #2 and crew
Comms operator takes nine damage and is on fire. Commander and tank are uninjured. Moves like Salamader #1

Infantry
Front six infantry, L-R, pinning tests. [roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

Guy lets-say-four takes a second pinning test from the firebomb [roll6]

Those who fail- three, four, five, six, head to cover, mostly scattering and diving into debris. Those who pass, half action move towards cover, half action shoot building. Most of these guys couldn't hit at all, so i won't roll for it: those on the building's roof take a pinning test.

General tests to see Wolfe [roll7] and Cronyn [roll8]

Guy lets-say-three fires a Krak missile at the chimera instead, presuming he's unpinned. [roll9] to hit, [roll10] operate test to dodge, do you get that when you aren't moving? [roll11]pen 6 damage.

Is that all? No map changes, except Salamanders are closer now. The infantry are too busy taking cover to get any closer on average.

RandomLunatic
2013-02-17, 09:25 PM
Pinning test [roll0]

Also, to answer the (academic) question, non-walker vehicles can only take the Jink action if they moved at least their tactical speed last turn.

watupwithdat
2013-02-18, 01:45 AM
Firstly, can I ask where you guys are getting this "delay" rule from? Where you're going later in the turn? There is a Delay action, but that only allows you to take a half action. I kinda like the spirit of it but i can't find the letter.
It's the Delay action that's refered to, where (in randomlunatic's case) he does the Aim action and gives his comrades orders, and then he Delays his Half Action to attack after the sarge to get the Get them! benefits. He's making the mistake of kinda implying he delays his whole turn, but that's not the case.

LeSwordfish
2013-02-18, 03:09 AM
The trouble is, at least in Only War's case, delay actions are a full round. You don't take your turn at all in exchange for a half action later.

watupwithdat
2013-02-18, 03:26 AM
The trouble is, at least in Only War's case, delay actions are a full round. You don't take your turn at all in exchange for a half action later.

Seems it is. That's new. Then the Aim action doesn't count to remedy the issue.

DaedalusMkV
2013-02-18, 10:57 PM
Two really nasty Righteous Fury results, plus the Damage bonus from Jarren's Orders, make this round much meaner than last time. The enemy could take much more SI Damage than I stated in my post, depending on how this is resolved.

RF 1: Enemy Frontal armour is reduced by [roll0]
RF 2: Ditto. [roll1]. If they do not Dodge at least two attacks, increase the SI damage of the last attack by the amount rolled in RF 1.

Edit: Weak. Still, 4 extra SI Damage for a total of 24, and the target Salamander's frontal armour drops to 29, making it much more vulnerable to Autocannon fire. It won't likely survive the next volley.

RandomLunatic
2013-02-19, 01:20 AM
Hey guys, my grandfather died earlier today, so if I am unresponsive, that is probably why.

DrK
2013-02-20, 04:03 PM
Hey guys, my grandfather died earlier today, so if I am unresponsive, that is probably why.

Sorry to hear that. Hope all goes as best as it can be.

LeSwordfish
2013-02-26, 07:56 AM
Sorry about being so late with this.

Turn Two
Varuck

Edit: Weak. Still, 4 extra SI Damage for a total of 24, and the target Salamander's frontal armour drops to 29, making it much more vulnerable to Autocannon fire. It won't likely survive the next volley.

Just quickly rolling dodge [roll0] It evades the second RF and the third damage roll.

Wolfe
Seven damage to the guy with the launcher.

Doyle
Waiting. Do still post, so I don't get confused and wait on you.

Montru
Commander 1 takes 5 damage, but not ignited. Ditto for operator 1. Salamander 1 not ignited.

Commander 2 takes 5 damage, avoids ignition. Operator 2 takes 5 damage, which brings him up to Crit 2. An extra 1d10 for already ignited: [roll1] Dead.

Jarren
No post. Let's be generous and say Get Them! [roll2] and Inspire [roll3] anyway.

Cronyn
Crit 12 to Commander 2. Dead.

LeSwordfish
2013-02-26, 08:15 AM
Salamander #1 and crew
Commander of salamander at +9 energy crit. Dead. Operator takes 5 damage. Salamander itself takes 14 damage, front armor reduced by 4. Makes an "Evasive maneuvering" action, weaving on the road. Now 1m from the top of the map, [roll0] vs 35 for evasion. Useless.

Salamander #2 and crew
Commander and vox-operator both dead. Moves like Salamander #1 [roll1] vs 35 for evasion. Take a -10 to hit it.

Infantry
Two enemies unpinned do the same thing again- half action move up to more cover, half action suppressing fire. Average infantry distance now 26m away.

Four pinned enemies roll for unpinning. [roll2] [roll3] [roll4] [roll5] Two unpinned, two pinned.

First of those is launcher guy. He's taken seven damage. If he manages to unpin himself, he takes a shot at Nox Noctis. [roll6] to hit, [roll7]pen 6 damage. Misses, with a 100 again. This guy is the incompetent twin of mysteriously-skilled-traitor from the last fight.

The others move up. If they get unpinned themselves, they fire at the building as well.

Test to see Wolfe [roll8]. If this and the unpinning test are both successful, Wolfe should test pinning as well. Failed. Wolfe and Mord are still hidden.

Infantry now 26m away. Salamanders now 1m in from top of map.

Caimheul
2013-02-26, 08:40 AM
First of those is launcher guy. He's taken seven damage. If he manages to unpin himself, he takes a shot at Nox Noctis. [roll6] to hit, [roll7]pen 6 damage. Misses, with a 100 again. This guy is the incompetent twin of mysteriously-skilled-traitor from the last fight.

Shouldn't a roll of 100 result on to hit cause a jam, possible causing the round to detonate in the tube? Just wondering as otherwise we have the possibility of getting our hands on a best quality launcher.... :smallbiggrin:

LeSwordfish
2013-02-26, 12:23 PM
Yes, of course. Forgive me, i was snatching a moment between assignments.

[roll0]

RandomLunatic
2013-02-26, 04:30 PM
[roll0] versus either 24 or 14.
EDIT: So is the enemy suppressing us with semi or full automatic fire? I managed to roll in that 10-point range where the difference matters.

Also, the rules for pinning comrades are ridiculously broken. They have to move for cover, but the same sentence then turns around and says they cannot take actions, which makes that sort of difficult. And the only way to unpin them is to give them an Order that lets them recover. The only Order that does that is Snap Out Of It, which is an option for one class. SO if the squad Sargent did not take that, pinned comrades remain frozen in place until they get shot to death, die of starvation, or get executed for cowardice by a passing Commissar.

LeSwordfish
2013-02-26, 04:40 PM
Shall we say the "No Actions" thing means no OTHER actions, and that your comrade becomes unpinned at the end of the turn you do? (That means the sargeant's ability is no longer useless, and keeps the player-comrade balance okay)

RandomLunatic
2013-02-26, 05:00 PM
Works for me. Now I just need to know if I passed my pinning test or not...

LeSwordfish
2013-02-26, 05:48 PM
Sorry: semi-automatic. These guys are just toting lasguns.

RandomLunatic
2013-02-26, 06:21 PM
I saw "autoguns" in there. But those can be used in Semi, and I certainly will not complain if they do.:smallwink:

EDIT: While I could replace one of those 3s with my DoS, I am going to spare myself the math because I know there is no way it is going to keep the stupid, useless thing from bouncing off. Seriously, **** Krak grenades.

Caimheul
2013-02-27, 06:28 AM
Yes, of course. Forgive me, i was snatching a moment between assignments.

[roll0]

Not a problem, education should take priority! :smallsmile:

DaedalusMkV
2013-02-28, 01:23 AM
Just quickly rolling dodge [roll0] It evades the second RF and the third damage roll.

Sorry for the delay, but... 27 is good for 2 DOS on a -20 roll? Remember that you subtract your Size modifier from evasion actions in a vehicle, which makes dodging with Chimera-sized vehicles extremely difficullt.

Posting IC again in a few minutes.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-05, 03:54 AM
Turn Three
Varuck
+1 crit to the heavy bolter from RF (gunner stunned), +4 crit to the heavy bolter (fixed weapon so result 5,weapon disabled). Salamander 1 is now at a +4 crit.

Wolfe
Pinning tests for infantry: [roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

Doyle
Waiting. Don't forget you can use a Ready action to save an attack for when the enemy enters range.

Montru
No damage on salamander 2

Jarren
Get Them! [roll6] Inspire [roll7]
You still with us, man?

Cronyn
Launcher trooper takes ten damage, putting him on a +7 crit to the right arm: Arm is shattered and removed, blood loss [roll8] 90+ to die.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-05, 04:05 AM
Salamander #1 presses on regardless, making what little evasive maneuvers it can again. [roll0], now 11m from the top of the map. Salamander #2 does same, [roll1], 11m from top of map.

Five of the six living infantry are pinned, again they all move up in cover, infantry now 23m away.

Unpinned guy aims, takes a shot at Cronyn. [roll2] to hit, [roll3] evasion, [roll4] damage Evaded.

RandomLunatic
2013-03-05, 03:33 PM
When you say the sallies are 11 meters from the top of the map, do you below, as in 11 meters onto the map? Because it was 1 meter last turn.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-05, 03:37 PM
Yeah, 11 meters in.

RandomLunatic
2013-03-05, 04:35 PM
I forget-is sally #1 the one on the left or the right? With some luck, I can KO it with a Krak grenade so the chimera's autocannon can start working over the other one.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-05, 04:48 PM
The one on the left is #1, and nearly dead. The other is #2.

RandomLunatic
2013-03-05, 04:58 PM
Oops, copy-paste error on the damage roll.

[roll0] +4 Damage, [roll1]

Replacing the 3 with my 9 DoSes on the attack roll pushes the final damage to 21 Pen 6, which mission kills it and sets it alight.

DrK
2013-03-06, 05:34 PM
Hi all. Sorry for my lack of presence. Between work stepping up a gear and us trying to settle the boy its pretty busy in the evenings s I'm going to have to bow out.

Please NPC me - I was only the driver anyway so its not a great loss.

Sorry all.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-07, 02:46 AM
That's a shame. Do let me know if you want to rejoin.

DaedalusMkV
2013-03-07, 03:10 AM
Especially with Slyjohnny incommunicado. Short our Sergeant and our Driver isn't a great place to be, since it leaves our fine GM NPCing two indisposable members of the team.

If SlyJohnny doesn't come back soon, perhaps we should look for a replacement player to take up the Sergeant role? NPCing the Chimera driver and Flamer operator is no big deal, but we kind of really want a PC sarge I think.

Also, is it just me or are vehicles in this game absurdly tough from frontal attack? These Salamanders have been all but shrugging off my Autocannon fire; the first one only went down as fast as it did because of the extremely lucky armour-reducing Righteous Fury results.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-07, 03:18 AM
My plan was to wait for the end of this mission and then recruit replacements.

An alternative to replacing SlyJohnny would be to promote somebody to sergeant- this is more realistic, and would probably work better than recruiting someone completely new and having them boss you all around. In-game it would probably just mean taking the Command advance and getting access to the Sargeant orders and comrade stuff.

Any volunteers? Wolfe and Montru are the most natural choices, i think, but we could wrangle others.

DaedalusMkV
2013-03-07, 05:01 AM

An alternative to replacing SlyJohnny would be to promote somebody to sergeant- this is more realistic, and would probably work better than recruiting someone completely new and having them boss you all around. In-game it would probably just mean taking the Command advance and getting access to the Sargeant orders and comrade stuff.

Any volunteers? Wolfe and Montru are the most natural choices, i think, but we could wrangle others.

Anyone but Varuck could work (putting the Enginseer in charge of a squad is not a good idea), though Wolfe is the most likely choice, what with his non-awful Fel and Social Aptitude. Cronyn has something approximating the Fel and Aptitudes for it, but probably not the inclination. Montru's Fel makes him a very poor candidate (he'd be a very inept leader, basically), and Varuck is obviously unsuitable in every respect, from stats (Bad Fel, neither governing Aptitude) to fluff (putting a Mechanicus rep directly into the chain of command would never fly). Amusingly, if he hadn't been the first player to leave Bringer would probably have been our best candidate for squad leader, with a good Fel and both the Fel and Social Aptitudes.

... I just remembered that my "List of things a good Enginseer would have that I do not" is over 1500 XP long. :smallamused:

Caimheul
2013-03-07, 08:06 AM

Anyone but Varuck could work (putting the Enginseer in charge of a squad is not a good idea), though Wolfe is the most likely choice, what with his non-awful Fel and Social Aptitude.

Social will help him advance Fel, but Command's Aptitudes are Fellowship and Command... Command is "only" 300 XP with zero Aptitudes, so expensive, but doable. Still, I don't have a problem with picking up Command for Wolfe and being treated as acting Sergeant. That being said, if one of the "new recruits" wants to roll up a character with the Sergeant speciality, it could be explained as a non-com from another squad getting a promotion and our squad having the only open Sergeant slot, or all of our replacements could come from another squad that has been reduced below combat effectiveness (as iirc, merging reduced squads/companies/regiments is a common way the Imperial Guard/Departmento Munitorum deals with losses).

RandomLunatic
2013-03-09, 05:43 PM
OOCly, I would not mind taking the sergeant role. IC, as others have pointed out, Torin is not exactly leadership material. Not that that seems to have ever stopped the Imperial bureaucracy before...

LeSwordfish
2013-03-09, 05:44 PM
I would prefer promoting an existing player, and i'm very happy to fudge Aptitudes for that purpose. I'm not particularly enamored of the Aptitude system anyway.

What about a "Sargeant's Upgrade Pack"- trade whatever Aptitudes or gear you want from Medic stuff to Sargeant stuff, and get Command, for the 300xp you'd have had to spend on Command anyway?

Turn Three
Varuck
Gas Leak critical effect, armour on front facing halved.

Wolfe
Suppressing fire. To be honest i'm kinda abstracting Suppressing fire- pouring on continued firepower keeps the squad testing at the original -20.

Montru
Kills Salamander 1.

Cronyn
Misses.

We can move straight on to bad guys/NPCs now.

Salamander #2 makes a full action ahead, Jarren moves to meet it. People are cool with me plotwise abstracting stuff like this, right? I figured that Jarren basically needed to be taken out of the equation more than the other two missing players did. Eviscerator damage: [roll0] pen 9, RF [roll1]

Other guys try and unpin: [roll2] [roll3] [roll4] [roll5] [roll6].

I'm kinda skipping a bit through this combat. We're down in players to the point where finishing off these last guys would take longer and be less fun than i'd planned for: i do hope you don't mind me doing this.

DaedalusMkV
2013-03-09, 06:02 PM
What about a "Sargeant's Upgrade Pack"- trade whatever Aptitudes or gear you want from Medic stuff to Sargeant stuff, and get Command, for the 300xp you'd have had to spend on Command anyway?

Seems reasonable to me. There would need to be some sort of system in place to represent this sort of promotion, really, and almost none of the other Specialties are any good whatsoever at Command (barring the Commissar, which couldn't really swap to Sergeant status to begin with). Also... Wait.

Turn Three
Varuck
Gas Leak critical effect, armour on front facing halved.

Holy hell, what? Armour on whose front facing halved? Theirs? How did that happen?

I'm kinda skipping a bit through this combat. We're down in players to the point where finishing off these last guys would take longer and be less fun than i'd planned for: i do hope you don't mind me doing this.

I do not mind in the slightest; when players drop, this is basically the only solution short of just having them disappear off the face of the earth, which would have made this particular situation rather difficult to deal with.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-09, 06:11 PM
Theirs. That's the critical effect you got. It's academic anyway, the krak grenade ends it.

And you'll notice that Jarren is not dead, so that Sly needn't be completely out of the game.

EDIT: Re-recruitment thread. I may well have got the details of stuff wrong, if so please correct me. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275237

And yeah, when this mission is over you get 300xp. Start thinking about how you want to spend that. Small Role-Playing bonuses might also be available.

DaedalusMkV
2013-03-09, 06:40 PM
Theirs. That's the critical effect you got. It's academic anyway, the krak grenade ends it.

Oh. But I shot the not-completely-ruined Salamander? I did specify quite clearly in my post that I was targetting Salamander 2, and devoted pretty much the entire IC element of it to the fact that I was switching targets. Also, if I had shot Salamander 1 I would have done 21 Damage, not 5. So... Yeah. That should actually be 5 SI Damage and the Gas Leak critical effect to Salamander 2.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-09, 06:47 PM
/facepalm

Sorry. I'm an idiot. Will get to that tomorrow. Fundamentally it turns out much the same, however.

Caimheul
2013-03-09, 07:41 PM
I would prefer promoting an existing player, and i'm very happy to fudge Aptitudes for that purpose. I'm not particularly enamored of the Aptitude system anyway.

[SNIP]

Wolfe
Suppressing fire. To be honest i'm kinda abstracting Suppressing fire- pouring on continued firepower keeps the squad testing at the original -20.

[SNIP]

I like the option it does have the feel of a battlefield promotion. I'm probably going to trade out Ballistic Skill (wasn't planning on improving it or for that matter taking any talents related to it anyway) in exchange for Fellowship (more discounts from it over Leadership... besides, it makes more sense to me). I am not planning on changing out any equipment however. Since Wolfe will be pulling double duty (unless we pick up another medic in the recruitment), he's basically going to be support oriented, definitely NOT a CC monster. I'll just have to wait until after next mission to add orders/more useful skill! :smallbiggrin:

Don't worry about it, the continued detriment to recover mixed with forcing those who passed the check to test again is WHY I have Wolfe basically just spraying the enemy with fire. Better than letting them force WP checks on the rest of the squad!

I'd imagine that the sudden disappearance of players would make keeping combat balanced a difficult prospect for GMs. So I don't mind the skipping.

Oh, BTW with the posting for new players, it might be a good idea to note that you don't want any abhumans...

RandomLunatic
2013-03-09, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I do not mind expediting the end of this a bit either.

Also, is it just me or are vehicles in this game absurdly tough from frontal attack? These Salamanders have been all but shrugging off my Autocannon fire; the first one only went down as fast as it did because of the extremely lucky armour-reducing Righteous Fury results.

IT is a combination of vehicles are really tough with the fact we have no real anti-armor weaponry. I have repeatedly ranted about the uselessness of Krak grenades, and the Autocannon is not much better.

Caimheul
2013-03-09, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I do not mind expediting the end of this a bit either.

IT is a combination of vehicles are really tough with the fact we have no real anti-armor weaponry. I have repeatedly ranted about the uselessness of Krak grenades, and the Autocannon is not much better.

Yeah, a missile launcher, lascannon, or even melta weaponry probably would have come in handy...

RandomLunatic
2013-03-09, 08:07 PM
Truthfully, Krak Missiles are not that much of an improvement over the autocannon. The only man-portable vehicle-killers in Only War are the Lascannon and Melta weaponry. And even those, only short-range melta shots work against heavy armor.

Which I suppose is it should be-tanks will win long-range shootouts with PBIs. But the lighter armor is almost as untouchable, which bothers me a lot.

Caimheul
2013-03-09, 09:10 PM
Truthfully, Krak Missiles are not that much of an improvement over the autocannon. The only man-portable vehicle-killers in Only War are the Lascannon and Melta weaponry. And even those, only short-range melta shots work against heavy armor.

Which I suppose is it should be-tanks will win long-range shootouts with PBIs. But the lighter armor is almost as untouchable, which bothers me a lot.

That does seem to be a challenge in this game, without loading up on the anti-tank, we have (for the most part, those sentinels went down fairly quick) had some issue with taking care of the Salamanders. On the other hand, since we have a Chimera, this is heartening as odds are against our ride being destroyed unless we are taking on something we REALLY shouldn't be. Lacking the heavier anti-tank capabilities, we may have to try more inventive means of defeating armour, such as flanking it, targeting the tracks/driver, and opening the top hatch to kill the crew. Not optimal, but possible. Presumably if we are tasked with attacking an armoured column or enemy artillery, we would be issued melta bombs... or could find another way to disable the guns!

One thing to note (I guess this is the "anti-tank") part of a krak round, but krak explosives cause Righteous Fury on a 9 or a 10... I don't THINK it has come up, and I'm not claiming that a 1/5 chance to cause a critical result makes up for the low damage... but it's something.

Here's hoping we pick up a heavy weapon trooper carrying a lascannon (or multi-melta I'm not picky :smalltongue:)

RandomLunatic
2013-03-09, 11:09 PM
That does seem to be a challenge in this game, without loading up on the anti-tank, we have (for the most part, those sentinels went down fairly quick) had some issue with taking care of the Salamanders. On the other hand, since we have a Chimera, this is heartening as odds are against our ride being destroyed unless we are taking on something we REALLY shouldn't be. Lacking the heavier anti-tank capabilities, we may have to try more inventive means of defeating armour, such as flanking it, targeting the tracks/driver, and opening the top hatch to kill the crew. Not optimal, but possible. Presumably if we are tasked with attacking an armoured column or enemy artillery, we would be issued melta bombs... or could find another way to disable the guns!That is how you have to do it in real life-lie low until the enemy drives right up to you, and then blast it point-blank in the weak side or rear facings with your heaviest weaponry.

The problem is that most of them are so anemic that they will not score a kill, and in fact have a better than even chance of just bouncing off harmlessly, and then the tank will turn its invulnerable front armor towards you and blow you away.

One thing to note (I guess this is the "anti-tank") part of a krak round, but krak explosives cause Righteous Fury on a 9 or a 10... I don't THINK it has come up, and I'm not claiming that a 1/5 chance to cause a critical result makes up for the low damage... but it's something.

Here's hoping we pick up a heavy weapon trooper carrying a lascannon (or multi-melta I'm not picky :smalltongue:)

Yeah, that is the designers realizing how horribly Krak weaponry fails and trying to fix it (and obnoxiously, I have been rolling lots of 8s with my Krak grenades). A 36% chance of Righteous Fury still does not redeem the grenade, since it still bounces more than half the time so all the RF does is chip a point of SI, out of the 30-plus most armor has. Whee.

The missiles are somewhat better, since they have a 48.8% chance of an RF, and a pretty good chance of beating at least the side armor of most vehicles, so the that RF actually does something. But most RFs are only minor inconveniences at best.

DaedalusMkV
2013-03-10, 01:53 AM
I'm curious; are we hitting that Salamander's side armour yet, or is it still in our frontal arc?

As to anti-tank, on further analysis Chimeras do go down decently well against attacks from the side armour (for reference, even that relatively weak attack would have done 25 SI Damage from the Salamander's side), and Krak rockets can pretty effectively do damage with attacks on the side armour. It's just the front armour of the Chimera (and by extent the everything but rear armour of everything heavier) that's so damned immortal; that 35 points of armour is just an absolutely huge deal because it requires you to deal absolutely rediculous amounts of Damage just to not bounce off completely (basically, if it wouldn't obliterate a human target in one hit it won't even scratch the armour of a moderately tough vehicle. And it means that if you want Krak grenades to do diddly squat, you've got to be hitting the enemy's rear armour. Which is very impractical when you aren't dictating the terms of engagement. Once we get access to a Meltagun or Lascannon (or even Krak Missiles, if we have the freedom to set things up so that the Missile or Autocannon will befacing the enemy's side armour no matter how they maneuvre), we should do a little better.

On the other hand, I do wonder why the Imperium bothers to keep manufacturing Krak grenades in any numbers when they're near useless against most vehicles in anything but ambush attacks...

Caimheul
2013-03-10, 02:07 AM
Well, the krak grenades may come in handy against tougher, non-vehicle enemies, especially with concussive. Besides, send a wave of infantry armed with krak grenades and one of them MAY get lucky. And promptly die. :smallbiggrin:

LeSwordfish
2013-03-10, 03:34 AM
What if we were to apply a rule to Krak grenades similar to that which the tabletop game has- if thrown from within a certain, small, range, they automatically hit the rear armour?

You're certainly sufficiently close to hit side armour now.

One of the new players is thinking of taking a Lascannon, and i'm in agreement with that. My positions tricky- aside from waves of meltagun infantry, not much can hurt you, and anything tougher than a chimera you can't hurt it.

Caimheul
2013-03-10, 09:16 AM
What if we were to apply a rule to Krak grenades similar to that which the tabletop game has- if thrown from within a certain, small, range, they automatically hit the rear armour?

You're certainly sufficiently close to hit side armour now.

One of the new players is thinking of taking a Lascannon, and i'm in agreement with that. My positions tricky- aside from waves of meltagun infantry, not much can hurt you, and anything tougher than a chimera you can't hurt it.

That could be easily explained as hitting the top armour. We can always try it and see what it does to the combat. It does seem the vehicles make balance a smidge tricky, but I'm sure we can figure it out so it is fun and balanced!

LeSwordfish
2013-03-10, 09:32 AM
Personally I'd say if you can get within Point Blank range of a vehicle alive you deserve a good shot at it.

RandomLunatic
2013-03-10, 04:44 PM
Well, my proposed fix is a bit multi-tiered.

First, add a "Top" armor facing. Any attack coming from above 45 degrees elevation hits Top armor, and is resolved against the Rear AP, even if it hits the Turret. Possibly give a small bonus to Pen, since IIRC the City Fight rules let you re-roll the dice for penetration for Top attacks.

Second, visibility from armored vehicles is poor. A blanket -20 perception or so should do it. Of course, you can unbutton to get a better view (no penalty), but then you can be picked off by snipers, or have a grenade thrown in the hatch. Not sure what modifiers to assign the latter, but it should not be easy.

Finally, so that Krak is no longer a joke, halve the Pen but add the Lance quality. You can keep the expanded Righteous Fury range or not.

When taken together, vehicles suddenly become a lot more vulnerable to being jumped by infantry at short range. The front armor is still extremely tough to crack, but if your battle plan is to charge the most heavily armed and armored facing of the tank, I have no sympathy for you.

watupwithdat
2013-03-13, 11:47 PM
Are we fast forwarding the last portion of the battle? I thought I saw something about that. In any case Cronyn would just shoot what he sees, so that's easily resolved with a few TN 87 rolls if you want to do that leswordfish.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-16, 11:45 AM
Sorry for taking so long over this. Computer troubles and an assignment, job application, and a death in the family have all collided.

13 SI damage to salamander 2. Wolfe moves out and sprints toward Jarren. Krak grenade missing. Lets say salamander 2 is killed, this is dragging on and people are waiting.

Everyone else starts to retreat.

Caimheul
2013-03-19, 08:08 AM
If Wolfe has issued any "orders" that people disagree with or would prefer to take an alternative course of action, either let me know and I'll change it or feel free to ignore it... he's kind of elbow deep in a patient right now so isn't going to notice too much :smallwink:

Starbin
2013-03-20, 08:21 AM
"Anyone who says size doesn't matter is probably packing a snub-nosed laspistol. Size ALWAYS matters, boys."
- Trooper Kora, while signing the requisition paperwork for the unit lascannon
Kora "KC" Cheldruk aka Sunshine
Designation: Heavy Weapons
Demanour: Sarcastic
Comrade: Stan 'the Man' Delveccio - demeanour - Ladies Man

CrunchStats
WS | BS | S | T | Ag | Per | Int | WP | Fel
32 | 42 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 32 | 31 | 31 | 30
Fate: 1
Wounds: 13
IP: 0 / CP: 0
Initiative: +7 (+12 w/full squad)
Move: 4m
Carry: 56kg

TraitsAccustomed to Crowds - Crowds do not count as Difficult Terrain; when Running or Charging through a dense crowd, no penalty to the Ag Test to keep their feet.
Hivebound - Suffer a –10 penalty to all Survival Tests outside hive-like conditions.

AptitudesBallistic Skill, Defense, Fellowship, Offense, Perception, Finesse, Toughness

SkillsAthletics (Str): 47
Common Lore (Int): 41
Common Lore [Imperium] (Int): 31
Dodge (Ag): 44
Deceive (Fel): 30
Intimidate (Str): 47
Linguistics [Low Gothic] (Int): 31
Operate [Surface] (Ag): 39

TalentsCombat Formation - [I]All squad members add +1 to Initiative rolls; members of squad can use Int bonus instead of Ag bonus for initiative
Paranoia - Twitchy; add +2 to initiative rolls (GM can make perception to notice hidden threats)
Rapid Reload - Halve all reload times
Iron Jaw - Can ignore Stunned with a successful Toughness Test
Weapon Training (Las, Melta, Low-Tech, Heavy) - Use weapons in category w/o penalty

Equipment Full kit (w/lascannon): 65kg; w/o lascannon: 21kg ...
Standard Regimental Kit:
1x Lascannon and 2x charge packs (44kg)
(Reduced weight, Custom Grip, Sacred Inscription)
1x M36 Lasgun and 4x charge packs (4kg)
1x Red-Dot laser sight (0.5kg)
1x Knife (1kg)
1x Sword (3kg)
Hiver's Pack: One item of "plentiful" availability or better.
1x IG flak armour (11kg)
1x Set Photocontacts
1x Microbead
1x smoke grenade (0.5kg)
1x injector (0.5kg)
5x doses of stimm
1x Uniform
Poor weather gear
1x Rucksack
1x Basic Toolkit
1x Mess kit
1x Water canteen
1x Blanket
1x Sleep bag
1x Rechargeable lamp-pack (0.5kg)
1x Grooming kit
2x Dog tags
1x Imperial Infantryman’s Uplifting Primer
2 Weeks’ rations

Weapons{table=head]Weapon|Rng|ROF|Damage|Pen|Clip|Reload|Notes|Wt
M36 Lasgun (normal)|100m|S/3/-|1d10+3E|0|60|Full|Good, Reliable, Modes|4kg
M36 Lasgun (overcharge)|100m|S/3/-|1d10+4E|0|60|Full|Good, Reliable, 2 rnds/shot|4kg
M36 Lasgun (overload)|100m|S/3/-|1d10+5E|2|60|Full|Good, Unreliable, 4 rnds/shot|4kg
Lascannon|300m|S/-/-|5d10+10E|10|5|2 Full|Proven (3), Custom Grip/Sacred Inscription|44kg
Sword|-|-|1d10+SB R|0|-|-|Balanced|3kg
Knife|10m, thrown|-|1d5+SB R|-|-|-|Can be thrown|1kg[/table]

Advances 900/900
BS +5 (100)
T +5 (100)
S +5 (250)
Ag +5 (250)
Dodge (200)

Possible future plans ...

Awareness (200)
Survival (200)
Deadeye Shot (200)
Sharpshooter - No penalty for called shots (300)
Marksman - No penalties for BS tests at long/extreme range (300)
Eye of the Storm (400)
Ag +5 (500)
BS +5 (500)

FluffAppearance: Kora is a tall, well-built woman. In uniform, she strikes the professional appearance the Iron Guard is known for. However, if one looked beneath her dress uniform, you would see an extremely well-built, chiseled body of muscle. Her brunette hair is pulled back into a bun in uniform, but off duty it is usually in a ponytail with wispy bangs often pulling free. Blue eyes peer out from her wheel cap, usually twinkling from some joke, while her mouth is typically fixed in a sardonic grin; but the grin turns into a cute little moue of concentration when she is drawing a bead with her lascannon. Her pale skin is typical for a native of the World of Eternal Night, almost alabaster in color. On her left arm, running from her shoulder to her forearm is a tattoo that contains the Litanies of Targeting.

Personality: Kora tends to be a source of steadfastness in a unit noted for being on the move. While others may rush in first and take the pinning checks later, oh so anxious to prove their worth in the eyes of the Emperor, she prefers to maximize her damage by biding her time and picking her shots. Given the size and purpose of her weapon of choice, it makes sense. During combat, she is efficient and direct, always looking for the best use of Big Baby, her lascannon. During her downtime, she can be a little sarcastic. Some find her quips funny, while others have found her to be a caustic little b****. Because of her attitude and the weapon she wields, many have taken to calling her 'Sunshine.' Fortunately, she doesn't really care, and no one has ever questioned her ability when it counts.

Background:Kora looks the part of the pretty little girl from the depths of the Hive World - but beneath that dress uniform is as sarcastic a little b**** as one could imagine. She grew up on the docks, loading everything from pseudobeans to slugthrower bullets for the Iron Guard. Her father was a former low-ranking Naval Officer who had rewarded for his service with a senior managerial position. His status ensured that Kora and her three brothers at least got an education and didn't have to shovel waste in the lower levels; but their father was never one for spoiling his children. They lived a notch above millions, but still were expected to work for anything else they wanted. After years of hard labor surrounded by leering older men, Kora developed a knack for taking care of herself. Strong and smart, she took to a mix of clever witicisms, balanced against the occassional punch in the nose.

After she reached womanhood and enlistment age, Kora decided she had had enough of that life, and she enlisted into the Iron Guard. During one of the capability demonstrations the Guard performed for the new recruits, she immediately fell in love with the heavy weapons section. Who wouldn't love the smell of super-heated plasma and the smokey contrails of a krak missile in flight? After her basic training, she was assigned to the 414th, where they led her to the quartermaster and handed her an enormous lascannon. As she signed the requisition paperwork, she smiled sweetly to the clerks. "Anyone who says size doesn't matter is probably packing a snub-nosed laspistol. Size ALWAYS matters, boys."
Useful Links
Character Creation (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13745673&postcount=6)
Regiment Info (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14249594&postcount=5)
Weapons List (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14318758&postcount=476)
Extra Weapons / Gear List (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14318775&postcount=478)
Gear weight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14387195&postcount=605)

Posting as requested ...of course now that you have a Lascannon in the group, you'll probably never need one! :smallbiggrin:

PS: If you have any last minute recommendations, feel free to let me know!

Major Kiaslu
2013-03-20, 08:49 AM
Name: Kaitlin 'Astra' Noalis
Career: Stormtrooper
Demeanor: Dreamer

Background They had a drink to celebrate. All ten of them, including the newly promoted Sargent Vickson, the stiff S.O.B for once cracking a smile and laughing with his friends. Delta Squad had made it through the Academy as a unit, through thick and thin (and a pack of drill-abbots) Now they were going to fight together on the front lines. They were being shipped out to Darien, getting attached to the Gudrunite Fifty-First Rifles as a strike force. Grum was roaring in delight, bellowing out one obscene song after another to the laughter of all. They'd get to show the ground pounders just what Stormtroopers could bring to the war.

Kaitlin wasn't the loudest celebrant, but she joined them: drinking, laughing and grinning at Sol. She'd put her all into combat simms, both at the Schola and on the dropship, and was hopeful. They might not be Astartes, but against heretics, Storm Troopers might as well be the Emperor's Hammer. She knew things could get perilous, that some of them would probably die, but was sure the squad would make it through, sure they'd do ok on the field. After that, they'd have some R&R, and perhaps she could spend some of it with Sol. Against regs, but still, she could swear the guy was interested.

Darien was a deeper hell than any of them'd expected. The enemy's elite had comparable equipment to Delta Squad's own, knew how to use it, and knew the terrain. Instead of roasting low class PDF out of minor facilities, the stormtroopers had a deadly fight on their hands with almost every encounter, trying to hold flimsy fortifications, responding to ambushes and running night patrols in which every shadow could hold a sniper, and often did. The Stormies had to match wits with heretic forces for months, and were testest to their limits

They fought hard, and never surrendered. But in the end, they came up short.

Kaitlin's the last one left of Delta Squad. Vickson died three days in, Grum when they reached the first week mark. Everyone else just kinda fell away, one by one, till it was her and Sol as a duo operating in the dark. And then Sol took a shot to the gut whilst they were trying to hold a position for re-enforcement. Kaitlin was the last one there when the Gundurnites showed up. No one wanted to give her back up, or attach a stormtrooper to a regular squad. So the base Sargent reassigned her to the Mordin Four One Fourth as an 'adviser'.

She's someone else's problem now.

Sheet {table=head]Attribute|Ranking
Weapon Skill|25
Ballistic Skill|43
Strength|33
Toughness|30
Agility|41
Perception|36
Intelligence|33
Willpower|31
Fellowship|28[/table]

Wounds: 15
Fate Points: 1
Movement: 4
Initiative: 7

Aptitudes: Agility, Ballistic Skill, Toughness, Intelligence, Finesse, Fieldcraft, Offence

Skills: Awareness +10, Common Lore (Imperial Guard, Imperium, War) Dodge +10, Deceive, Intimidate, Operate (Surface) Scholastic Lore (Tactica Imperialis). Speak Language (Low Gothic), Stealth

Talents: Combat Formation, Paranoia, Quick Draw, Rapid Reload, Takedown, Weapon Training (Las, Primitive)

Advances: Ballistic Skill +5 (100xp) Dodge +10 (200xp) Agility +5 (100xp) Awareness +10 (200xp)

Traits: Accustomed to Crowds, Hivebound

Equipment: Good Craftsmanship Hot-shot Lasgun, Storm Trooper Carapace Armour, Stub Revolver, Laspistol and 2 clips, Knife, Microbead, Photocontacts

1 smoke grenade, 1 injector, 5 doses of stimm,

Uniform, Poor weather gear, Rucksack, Basic Toolkit, Mess kit and water canteen, Blanket and sleep bag, Rechargeable lamp-pack, Grooming kit, Dog tags, Imperial Infantryman’s Uplifting Primer, 2 weeks’ rations,

1 M36 Lasgun and 4 charge packs,
1 Suit flak armour,

RandomLunatic
2013-03-20, 12:47 PM
How big a crate are we talking about here? One small enough to be moved by one person?

LeSwordfish
2013-03-20, 12:48 PM
Yes. The size of small ammo crate, with handholds on the side

DaedalusMkV
2013-03-20, 02:09 PM
Welcome to the new players. It's nice to see a bit of new blood here, for sure. Enginseer Varuck is here for all of your technical needs; just don't try to go behind his back, or he'll be quite wroth with you.

watupwithdat
2013-03-20, 06:04 PM
Agility test for Cronyn: [roll0] vs 47

LeSwordfish
2013-03-21, 11:15 AM
The cabling in the chimera would be sufficient for such a thing.

Caimheul
2013-03-21, 11:22 AM
Right. So. any sort of roll involved in the creation of this harness or is it just an auto-pass since it should be a fairly easy thing to make?

[roll0]
Edit: REALLY hoping for an autopass/the tech priest to do the check! :smallbiggrin:

LeSwordfish
2013-03-21, 11:27 AM
I'd say it would be a super easy (+30, even if that's not the official name for that difficulty) Tech-Use or Common Lore (Tech) test to fashion one and attach it to a cable.

Caimheul
2013-03-21, 11:31 AM
I'd say it would be a super easy (+30, even if that's not the official name for that difficulty) Tech-Use or Common Lore (Tech) test to fashion one and attach it to a cable.

Right! Tech-priest it is then! :smallbiggrin:

LeSwordfish
2013-03-21, 11:55 AM
Updated the OP, largely for my own records. Will PM Padraig if no response by tomorrow evening. If any of you are in threads with them, give them a poke from me.

RandomLunatic
2013-03-21, 01:50 PM
What about the other Salamander? My search turn up anything?

LeSwordfish
2013-03-21, 01:52 PM
Sorry, didn't notice that. Will put it in next IC update.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-22, 03:08 AM
Agility test from Wolfe, please. Anyone else want to test for anything to help, now's your chance.

What are you attaching the other end of the harness to? Nox Noctis? That will mean both the Salamander and Wolfe are attached to the same mounting- you'll have to pull them up manually if separate.

DaedalusMkV
2013-03-22, 03:29 AM
Get three or four squadmembers holding it and wrap it around a handy piece of debris to provide a stable anchor-point (that is, set it up in a pulley system, if you get what I mean by that). We should have no problem belaying him even if he accidentally goes over the edge. I've done it plenty of times rock climbing with one person spotting, so a couple of people on the job should more than make up for the improvised equipment.

Caimheul
2013-03-22, 07:46 AM
Get three or four squadmembers holding it and wrap it around a handy piece of debris to provide a stable anchor-point (that is, set it up in a pulley system, if you get what I mean by that). We should have no problem belaying him even if he accidentally goes over the edge. I've done it plenty of times rock climbing with one person spotting, so a couple of people on the job should more than make up for the improvised equipment.

Was actually intending to use the Nox as the anchor-point.... although I suppose a tech-priest with mantle would be heavy enough to suit. :smallbiggrin: I'll modify the post to reflect asking for squaddies to anchor it.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-22, 11:05 AM
Alright! One more IC post to go, unless you guys throw me a curveball, and we'll be starting mission two. Congratulations on completing Operation Shatter! And hopefully for helping me get a whole campaign's worth of "fighting in high places" out of the way.

Next IC post will probably include the start of the debrief, so I'll run the end-of-mission things now, while I remember.

XP
You each (all four existing players, that is) get 300XP. There's also bonuses available too: Montru gets twenty-five for clearing the building, Cronyn twenty-five for the sniping. Wolfe and Varuck get fifty each- twenty-five apiece for recovering the box, and twenty-five for clearing the building and killing the sentinels respectively. Let me know what advances you're taking, and remember to update your sheets.

Should Wolfe wish to accept the Sargeant's rank, he may spend 250 of that XP to swap any Aptitude for "Leadership", as well as gaining the Command skill and access to any Sargeant-specific advances.

Gear
Anything you've found on the battlefield may be kept or handed in like good soldiers, remind me what you're planning. Nobody knows you have the second sensor- let me know what you're doing with that.

All unused mission-specific gear will be returned. The broken cable will be replaced. I'll get to requisition and upgrade rolls later. Non-special ammo gets replenished.

Misc
Fate is replenished. Anything that says it can only be used once per session is replenished. That sort of thing.
+1 to the squad's logistics rating.

Caimheul
2013-03-22, 12:20 PM
Advances: Sergeant Advance -250 xp (Exchanging BS Aptitude for Leadership)
Commerce -100 xp

Am torn on the last 100 between Commerce and using it to get bonuses on our logistics tests, or Trade (Armourer) to help with the customizations... went with Commerce as currently no one has that skill.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-22, 12:29 PM
There will be plenty more time to mine the tech-priest for upgrades before the next mission.

Also, forgot to mention. You get a +1 to your logistics rating for the mission, as your reputation increases.

Starbin
2013-03-22, 12:44 PM
Curious ... what's the rule on customizations for weapons? I think you can have up to 4, but do you start with those auto-magically?

LeSwordfish
2013-03-22, 12:56 PM
No, you roll for them vs your own or a squadmates Trade (Armourer) stat.

Caimheul
2013-03-22, 12:56 PM
There will be plenty more time to mine the tech-priest for upgrades before the next mission.

Also, forgot to mention. You get a +1 to your logistics rating for the mission, as your reputation increases.
Sweet! Slowly getting better at "buying" stuff! Now to find someone I can trade with.... hehehehehehe

List of Loot (from first battle, haven't gotten a listing/quite finished searching this latest battlefield)

Stuff found:
8 Lasgun power packs
Two autopistols, with two clips each.
Multiple sets of environment gear, rubberised cloth. They have very obvious seperatist symbols on them, however.
Three combat knives, heavy and mass-produced, each a single block of dull metal.
A standard medi-kit, hanging on a nail.

The medikit and autopistols are good. The power packs make a lasgun Poor-Quality while being used, and cannot be fired on overcharge. The long-las, take another Trade (Armourer) roll when back at base.

Caimheul
2013-03-22, 12:59 PM
Curious ... what's the rule on customizations for weapons? I think you can have up to 4, but do you start with those auto-magically?

Also remember that customizations can only be done to weapons of our Regiment's standard kit, or "Regimental favoured" heavy/special weapons... Unless LeSwordfish rules otherwise :smallbiggrin:

Starbin
2013-03-22, 01:02 PM
Well I'm hoping that a) the Lascannon will be our favored heavy weapon, and b) that one of y'all can pimp my gun!

LeSwordfish
2013-03-22, 01:03 PM
Interesting...

My first instinct is to go "yes, but you have to take a penatly on the test", but that makes no sense- Varuck isn't Mordian, he's got no reason to be more familiar with a lascannon than a meltagun.

My second instinct is to go "Yes, but you can take less of them." but that makes little sense since non-standard weapons are the ones you're more likely to want to customise.

I'll get back to you.

Caimheul
2013-03-22, 01:13 PM
Interesting...

My first instinct is to go "yes, but you have to take a penatly on the test", but that makes no sense- Varuck isn't Mordian, he's got no reason to be more familiar with a lascannon than a meltagun.

My second instinct is to go "Yes, but you can take less of them." but that makes little sense since non-standard weapons are the ones you're more likely to want to customise.

I'll get back to you.

Having an Enginseer does cause issues as far as the "more familiar with the weapon so is ABLE to make the modifications" front. Another justification for the restriction the rule book gives is that the Officers are more likely to issue punishments for modifications to weapons with which they (the officer) is less familiar. But if the officer is less familiar with the specific weapon and the modifications are subtle (which is noted in the same paragraph), how are they supposed to notice it in the first place?
I'm guessing the intent is to give the characters a benefit for sticking with their standard kit rather than say, requisitioning hellguns and/or bolters and then customizing the heck out of them.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-22, 01:21 PM
How about this: Weapons that aren't either regimental standard/preferred apply a -20 to all tests to customise them. This is because of the difficulty of finding parts suitable for modification, and because of the lack of assistance.

And yes, the Lascannon is now the regiment's preferred heavy weapon.

Starbin
2013-03-22, 01:26 PM
Huzzah! :smallbiggrin: I guess I was at least hoping for suspensors ... otherwise I'm lugging 55kg weapon around, in addition to standard gear.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-22, 01:39 PM
Padraig hasn't been on the forums in a few days- I've sent them a PM, but if they're offline for some reason that won't get through any sooner. We don't need a new driver straightaway, so i'll give them a week or so.

Caimheul
2013-03-22, 01:40 PM
Huzzah! :smallbiggrin: I guess I was at least hoping for suspensors ... otherwise I'm lugging 55kg weapon around, in addition to standard gear.

Eh, get the "Reduced Weight" customization to reduce the weight by 11kgs (just NEVER use it as an improvized weapon), and have your comrade carry most of your kit. You don't HAVE to carry everything with you into battle, could always leave some things in the Nox's storage bins!

RandomLunatic
2013-03-22, 02:23 PM
Yay XP!

Spend 250 on a simple Toughness advance. And bank the rest.

I was going to hang onto the Autopistols with an eye on eventually trading them off.

Caimheul
2013-03-22, 02:34 PM
I was going to hang onto the Autopistols with an eye on eventually trading them off.

Not worth it. Items of Average Availability are at a +20 which wouldn't give any sort of bonus (why deal with Wolfe when they can just get one themselves?). Unless we find something that is Very Rare or higher we can't get a bonus from trying to trade it. My vote is, unless someone is going to use a particular item of looted kit, we play boyscout. That way they don't look at us as hard later :smallwink:.

RandomLunatic
2013-03-22, 02:55 PM
I was not thinking of trading it through the official channels, but instead as fodder for horse grox trading with other units.

EDIT: I forgot-did we end up bringing the prisoner with us? We could have him ID the body.

DOUBLE EDIT: We did!:smallsmile:

DaedalusMkV
2013-03-22, 03:02 PM
Well I'm hoping that a) the Lascannon will be our favored heavy weapon, and b) that one of y'all can pimp my gun!

Varuck does weapon-mods upon request. It's much better to see such things done properly and with the proper supplications to the Machine Spirits than to risk that soldiers told 'no' will turn to less adept sources and defile the bounty of the Omnissiah.

I doubt we'll be able to get a hold of a Suspensor for you any time soon (Extremely Rare makes for tough times...), but Reduced Weight should at least take some of the load off once I figure out how much time and energy I'll be able to devote to Customization.

Regarding customizing non-Regimental Weapons, I wonder if the right response isn't just to say "Nobody but an Enginseer can do it, and he takes Tests at +10 rather than +20 to reflect the lack of specialized parts", or something similar. It makes perfect sense to me that Guardsmen simply don't have the requisite training to work with unfamiliar and high-tech weapons, but that's exactly what Enginseers are supposed to be for. I leave it up to the GM, though.

For Advances, I'm getting Linguistics (Techna Lingua) (And grumbling about how Enginseers don't start with it) for 100 XP and Tech-use +10 for 200 more, saving 50 for later.

Caimheul
2013-03-22, 03:57 PM
I was not thinking of trading it through the official channels, but instead as fodder for horse grox trading with other units.

That's actually what I meant. There are no "official" channels for bartering in the Imperial Guard as the Munitorium provides everything we might need (*eyeroll*). There is a box titled "Working the System" in the Armoury section that details how to go about bartering/using Commerce to artificially increase our Logistics test. If we have an item that is hard to find, it can be used to provide a bonus to say Wolfe's test, or a penalty to the opposing NPC's Commerce test. Every degree of success on the opposed test is a +10 to the Logistics check to obtain a particular item. This has to potential of letting us get rarer items sooner than we might otherwise, provided we find some hard to find stuff in the field.

RandomLunatic
2013-03-23, 03:27 PM
Since I have yet to touch my Fate Points, would I get a chance to use them now before they get refreshed? I just want to get rid of my injuries.

If yes, then 1 or 2 FP, as needed:

[roll0]
EDIT: Only needed 1.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-23, 03:35 PM
Don't worry, there'll be plenty of time to heal before the next mission.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-26, 04:33 AM
Alright. Now is the time for requisition or customisation rolls. There's a significant timeskip, so i'm not going to limit how many rolls you can make, just only one roll per item.

Sorry that this was later than expected: My train was delayed by four hours, so when i finally reached a wi-fi area i just wanted to go to bed.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-26, 04:37 AM
Also: Non-varuck people, don't read Varuck's spoilers! Nothing's happening in the group conversation that Varuck won't need to be told later.

DaedalusMkV
2013-03-26, 05:19 AM
Nearly impossible Forbidden Lore (AdMech) Test engage: [roll0] vs TN 25.

IC Post in the morning. I'm too tired to be very coherent right now and should really be in bed by now.

Okay, time to go crazy with rolls...
Varuck attempts to requisition items through official channels, now that he has some time to doggedly insist that he has not been provided the proper standard of equipment for an Enginseer at the front line, and is almost certainly mostly rebuffed. If anyone more commercially-minded wants to help out with this, I'd certainly be happy to have the help.

Futile attempt to acquire a Plasma Gun: [roll1] vs TN 7
I only want this Power Axe because it's literally impossible to get an Omnissian Axe right now, and all Enginseers are supposed to have Power Axes damn it: [roll2] vs TN 7. (Varuck sucks horribly at melee)
Red-dot Laser Sights are cool for Lasguns: [roll3] vs TN 47 (Yay for the Gudrunites)
But sometimes you just have to make due with a Telescopic Sight: [roll4] vs TN 37
You have no idea how much I would like to have some Storm Trooper Carapace to represent Dragon Scale armour in combination with my Subskin Armour: [roll5] vs TN 7
But if necessary I'll try for Light Carapace. Not that I've got a great chance of getting it either. [roll6] vs TN 17
Recoil Gloves are cool: [roll7] vs TN 47 (Why are these things Common again?)
Yes, we have a vehicle-mounted Auspex. I still want a hand-held one, though. [roll8] vs TN 27

Cybernetics (Only installing one of the following, unless by some miracle I acquire both the Internal Reservoir and Luminen Capacitor which are built to work together. This is basically an "Is Varuck favoured enough by the Mechanicus to get more upgrades yet?" test):
-Internal Reservoir: [roll9] vs TN 17
-Luminen Capacitor: [roll10] vs TN 7
-Respiratory Filter: [roll11] vs TN 17
-Manipulator Mechadendrite: [roll12] vs TN 7

Customization for Varuck:
-Sacred Inscription praising the Machine Spirits: [roll13] vs 75
-Modified Stock [roll14] vs TN 75

Anyone who desires weapon customizations, just make your requests and I'll roll 'em up. Is it alright to use Fate Points unspent on the last mission to reroll Trade (Armourer) Tests made between missions?

Edit: Well, I managed to get that Power Axe (the game agreed with me!) and a set of Recoil Gloves so I can carry it around and shoot my Lasgun one-handed. That's still better than I was expecting out of this rather pie-in-the-sky set of attempts to get my hands on stuff. I mean, look at all that Very Rare gear!

I'm going to want to use a Fate Point to reroll that botched Customization attempt one way or the other, but it'll be a lot more efficient if I can do it with the ones I had no cause to use last time.

Major Kiaslu
2013-03-26, 05:45 AM
Hmm, I'm tempted by customization rolls... but given this set up, I'd have to roll them myself, correct? (As Kaitlin hasn't had the downtime with the squad to ask Varuck for the help)

Also, just to check, we can make as many logistics rolls as we want, right? Logistics Rating of 26, multiple regiments chart?

LeSwordfish
2013-03-26, 08:18 AM
I think using fate from the previous mission to re-roll customisation sounds good to me, go for it.

As for Kiaslu, roll the customisations anyway, i'll rationalise it later.

Caimheul
2013-03-26, 09:47 AM
Any change in the regiments near enough to modify the Logistics roll just yet, or are we still not technically on the "front"? For those looking for the old list: here it is. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14506974&postcount=20)
So Opposed Commerce Test for each item, or just once to see if I get a bonus?
Commerce tests:

Hellpistol: Commerce [roll0] TN 50
Carbine: Commerce [roll1] TN 50
Motion: Commerce [roll2] TN 50
Red-dot: Commerce [roll3] TN 50
Camo-cloak: Commerce [roll4] TN 50
Rebreather: Commerce [roll5] TN 50

Requisition attempts:
Hot-shot Laspistol (rare -10): [roll6] TN 16
Las Carbine (Common +20): [roll7] TN 46 (I'm assuming no +20 from another regiment since I'm only looking for one of common quality)
Motion Predictor (Basic weapon, Very Rare -20): [roll8] TN 6
Red-Dot Laser Sight (for Pistol, Scarce +0, Regimental kit for Gudrunites +20): [roll9] TN 46
Camo-cloak: (Rare -10, Regimental kit for Tallarans +20): [roll10] TN 36
Rebreather (Scarce +0): [roll11] TN 26
Edit: Well... that's interesting. Not 100% sure WHAT I've got until Commerce Bonus is worked out.
Second Edit: Will post my customization requests later today.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-26, 09:56 AM
No change in nearby regiments or battlefield conditions.

What are you doing with the second sensor? Returning it, or keeping it. They don't know you have it, remember.

Caimheul
2013-03-26, 10:04 AM
No change in nearby regiments or battlefield conditions.

What are you doing with the second sensor? Returning it, or keeping it. They don't know you have it, remember.

My vote is keep it, it may come in handy later. Especially once we find out what it was programmed to look for...

So how are we dealing with the use of Commerce to requisition gear? Just degrees of success or an opposed roll or what (which is what the book indicates)? And one roll for each piece of gear or a roll for the whole kit'n kaboodle? Just asking so I know how to employ my newly purchased skill! :smallbiggrin:
Forgot to roll for Auspex:
Auspex: Commerce [roll0] TN 50
Requisition: [roll1] TN 26
Edit:... So I MIGHT have found one...

RandomLunatic
2013-03-26, 02:58 PM
I vote on keeping the auspex too. It might come in handy, and I do not look forward to explaining to the brass how we ended up with a spare.

Now, for requisition efforts:

Hot-Shot Laspistol [roll0] vs 16
Hot-Shot Lasgun [roll1] vs 16
Meltagun [roll2] vs 6
Fire Bombs [roll3] vs 46
Motion Predictor [roll4] vs 6
Mono Upgrade [roll5] vs 26. Can we even add weapon upgrades to weapon upgrades? 'Cuz I want it for my melee attachment.
Light Crapace [roll6] vs 16
Recoil Gloves [roll7] vs 36
Grapnel & Line [roll8] vs 36

EDIT: So just the grenades, gloves, and the grapnel. Thank you very much, Munitorum...

For weapon customizing, the only urgent request I have is quick-release on the grenade launcher. With the loss of Bringer and his missiles, it is the only long-range AoE weapon we have, and free reloads means never being caught with the wrong ammo in the tube.

Major Kiaslu
2013-03-26, 03:23 PM
Great! :) Daedalus, the only request I have is custom grip: I'd like something to boost Kaitlin's BS.

And now, my round of hopeless logistics tests. ;) Err... before I start, are we at 26 or 27? (Just wanted to be sure before writing it up and potentially getting my hopes up)

Caimheul
2013-03-26, 03:53 PM
Great! :) Daedalus, the only request I have is custom grip: I'd like something to boost Kaitlin's BS.

And now, my round of hopeless logistics tests. ;) Err... before I start, are we at 26 or 27? (Just wanted to be sure before writing it up and potentially getting my hopes up)

26 LeSwordfish has our current Logistics rating in the first post of the OoC, and he updated it with our increase from the last mission to avoid confusion, so RandomLunatic, your Logistic target numbers should end in a 6 :smallsmile:

RandomLunatic
2013-03-26, 03:58 PM
I was just copying Daedulus's numbers, which were the first ones I saw...:smallredface:

Caimheul
2013-03-26, 04:07 PM
I was just copying Daedulus's numbers, which were the first ones I saw...:smallredface:

Fair enough :smallbiggrin: I've been known to do that a time or two myself.
Speaking of Daedulus, Customizations: Custom Grip on lasgun, and the same on Laspistol/hellpistol (which depending upon the ruling on Commerce I MIGHT be able to find...)

RandomLunatic
2013-03-26, 05:30 PM
Hey, if we are using Fate Points to re-roll customization, can we use them for Logistics tests too?

If so, I would like another try at the Pistol and Carapace armor.

[roll0] vs 16 for pistol
[roll1] vs 6 for armor

Starbin
2013-03-26, 06:40 PM
Hmmm ... I have no idea what to 'ask' for ... so can I ask for any of the following? If so, what are the TNs?

Storm trooper armour (cuz it's b-a$$!), multi-melta (cuz it's hot!), good photo-contacts (cuz they're cool!), mono-edged sword (cuz it's sharp!), missile launcher (cuz it's a blast!), magnoculars (cuz they're shiny!),

Um ... I have no idea what else to go for ...

And for customization, here's what could help the lil ol' gal: Suspensor (but I think that's too rare), Reduced Weight, Custom Grip, Quick Release ... and perhaps Modified Stock.

Somebody please tell me if I'm being ridonculous! I'm still not up to speed on this whole requisition thing ... or customization thing ... or Only War thing ... dang, I feel like a newb! Or is that noob? Or n00b?

Dammit all ... :smallsmile:

RandomLunatic
2013-03-26, 07:17 PM
Logistics rolls are covered in the beginning of the Armory chapter.

When you go through all the math, our squad's Logistics Rating of 11 means that you need to roll 26 +/- the rarity modifier. And we are using the "Multiple Regiments" column for those.

So you can ask for anything, but you start having to roll under negative values for "Extremely Rare" and rarer items, which is rather tough to do.

Caimheul
2013-03-26, 08:38 PM
Logistics rolls are covered in the beginning of the Armory chapter.

When you go through all the math, our squad's Logistics Rating of 11 means that you need to roll 26 +/- the rarity modifier. And we are using the "Multiple Regiments" column for those.

So you can ask for anything, but you start having to roll under negative values for "Extremely Rare" and rarer items, which is rather tough to do.

I think starbin might not currently have access to the book, I'll post up the difficulties in a bit.

Edit:

Hmmm ... I have no idea what to 'ask' for ... so can I ask for any of the following? If so, what are the TNs?

Storm trooper armour (cuz it's b-a$$!), multi-melta (cuz it's hot!), good photo-contacts (cuz they're cool!), mono-edged sword (cuz it's sharp!), missile launcher (cuz it's a blast!), magnoculars (cuz they're shiny!),

Um ... I have no idea what else to go for ...

And for customization, here's what could help the lil ol' gal: Suspensor (but I think that's too rare), Reduced Weight, Custom Grip, Quick Release ... and perhaps Modified Stock.

Somebody please tell me if I'm being ridonculous! I'm still not up to speed on this whole requisition thing ... or customization thing ... or Only War thing ... dang, I feel like a newb! Or is that noob? Or n00b?

Dammit all ... :smallsmile:
Requisitions:
So in addition to the modifications from rarity, there is a +20 bonus if the item you are looking for happens to be standard kit to another regiment in the area. Anything that is "standard kit" for our regiment we don't have to test for, we always have access to it (so if your lasgun breaks you can get a replacement no problem.... it just won't have any customizations!). It's worth chucking a set of dice at most things, since you never know when you'll get a lucky roll!
Storm Trooper Armour (AP 6 All): Very Rare -20 (TN 6)
(Slightly easier to get a hold of) Light Carapace (AP 5 All): Rare -10 (TN 16)
Multi-melta: Extremely Rare -30 (Automatic Failure)
Good photo-contacts: Scarce +0, Good -30 (Automatic Failure)
Mono-upgrade for sword: Scarce +0 (TN 26)
Missile Launcher (You don't have the Launcher Weapons training yet, so you'd be shooting it at a -20.... plus you'd have to requisition ammo separately, probably better to stick to the Lascannon or pick up a grenade launcher since grenades are part of our standard kit and therefore automatically replaced): Rare -10 (TN 16)
Grenade Launcher: Average +10, Another Regiment's favoured Special +20 (TN 56)
Magnoculars: Average +10, Standard kit for another local Regiment +20 (TN 56)
Suspensors: Extremely Rare -30 (Automatic failure, going to have to settle for reduced weight)

Customizations:
Weapon attachments/upgrades from previous systems (mono, suspensors) aren't included here. You can have a maximum of 4 on any given weapon. Two or more degrees of failure on a Trade (Armourer) Test with a +20 bonus damages the weapon, making it Unreliable until you turn it in for a replacement. Customizations can be performed by others, such as a handy attached enginseer!
Reduced weight, good idea since suspensors are not in the cards for awhile, Custom grip and Quick-Release are both good ones IMO for a lascannon, Modified stock... eh, it only operates when you're using an action to aim, I personally prefer Sacred Inscription which gives a +10 to any Pinning Test, or Home Materials for a +5 to Fear Tests. But that's my $0.02.

Starbin
2013-03-27, 12:08 AM
I think starbin might not currently have access to the book, I'll post up the difficulties in a bit.

Edit:

Requisitions:
So in addition to the modifications from rarity, there is a +20 bonus if the item you are looking for happens to be standard kit to another regiment in the area. Anything that is "standard kit" for our regiment we don't have to test for, we always have access to it (so if your lasgun breaks you can get a replacement no problem.... it just won't have any customizations!). It's worth chucking a set of dice at most things, since you never know when you'll get a lucky roll!
Storm Trooper Armour (AP 6 All): Very Rare -20 (TN 6)
(Slightly easier to get a hold of) Light Carapace (AP 5 All): Rare -10 (TN 16)
Multi-melta: Extremely Rare -30 (Automatic Failure)
Good photo-contacts: Scarce +0, Good -30 (Automatic Failure)
Mono-upgrade for sword: Scarce +0 (TN 26)
Missile Launcher (You don't have the Launcher Weapons training yet, so you'd be shooting it at a -20.... plus you'd have to requisition ammo separately, probably better to stick to the Lascannon or pick up a grenade launcher since grenades are part of our standard kit and therefore automatically replaced): Rare -10 (TN 16)
Grenade Launcher: Average +10, Another Regiment's favoured Special +20 (TN 56)
Magnoculars: Average +10, Standard kit for another local Regiment +20 (TN 56)
Suspensors: Extremely Rare -30 (Automatic failure, going to have to settle for reduced weight)

Customizations:
Weapon attachments/upgrades from previous systems (mono, suspensors) aren't included here. You can have a maximum of 4 on any given weapon. Two or more degrees of failure on a Trade (Armourer) Test with a +20 bonus damages the weapon, making it Unreliable until you turn it in for a replacement. Customizations can be performed by others, such as a handy attached enginseer!
Reduced weight, good idea since suspensors are not in the cards for awhile, Custom grip and Quick-Release are both good ones IMO for a lascannon, Modified stock... eh, it only operates when you're using an action to aim, I personally prefer Sacred Inscription which gives a +10 to any Pinning Test, or Home Materials for a +5 to Fear Tests. But that's my $0.02.

Righty-right, Caim ... thanks a bunch for the help to all!

Okay, here we go:
Triplex Pattern Lasgun (Rare) TN 16: [roll0]
M41 Multi-laser (Rare) TN 16: [roll1]
Meltagun (V. Rare) TN 6: [roll2]
Mono upgrade to Sword (Scarce) TN 26: [roll3]

Storm Trooper Armour (Very Rare) TN 6: [roll4]
Light Carapace (Rare) TN 16: [roll5]

Camo Cloak (Rare) TN 36 (?): [roll6]
Preysense Goggles (V. Rare) TN 6: [roll7]
Magnoculars (Avg) TN 56 (?): [roll8]
Red-dot (Scarce) TN 46: [roll9]

Weapon customizations requested (since Kora won't be too good at it!)
Reduced Weight
Custom Grip
Sacred Inscription
Quick release

I hope I did everything right!

EDIT: That's more like my rolling! Guess I'll take my lone red-dot sight and wander back over to the chow line ...

DaedalusMkV
2013-03-27, 01:00 AM
Was AFK for a lot longer than expected today, but here we go.

Fate reroll for Varuck's botched Customization: [roll0] -Pass

Customizing Kaitlin's weapon: [roll1] vs TN 55 (TN reduced due to not being Standard gear) -pass

Fair enough :smallbiggrin: I've been known to do that a time or two myself.
Speaking of Daedulus, Customizations: Custom Grip on lasgun, and the same on Laspistol/hellpistol (which depending upon the ruling on Commerce I MIGHT be able to find...)
Lasgun Custom Grip: [roll2] -pass
Laspistol Custom Grip: [roll3] -pass
Both vs TN 75

Weapon customizations requested (since Kora won't be too good at it!)
Reduced Weight
Custom Grip
Sacred Inscription
Quick release

I hope I did everything right!

EDIT: That's more like my rolling! Guess I'll take my lone red-dot sight and wander back over to the chow line ...

All for the Lascannon I take it?
Reduced Weight: [roll4] -pass
Custom Grip: [roll5] -Pass
Sacred Inscription: [roll6] -Pass
Quick Release: [roll7] -fail
All versus TN 75.

Okay, so I'm apparently even more obsessed with some of this stuff than I thought...

Carapace Chestplate: [roll8] -acquired
Carapace Gauntlets: [roll9]
Carapace Greaves: [roll10] -acquired
All versus TN 16. Even if I only get this kit piecemeal, it'll at least help out next time I try to get a hold of Carapace armour if I try and trade it in. Assuming I actually get any of it...

IC post incoming shortly.

Edit: Horrible luck working on the Lascannon, amazing luck in getting that piecemeal Carapace armour. Weird. Spending those other unspent Fate Points to reroll the really bad Customization attempts.

Everyone gets all the customizations requested so far save the Quick Release on the Lascannon.

DaedalusMkV
2013-03-27, 01:04 AM
Rerolled botched Lascannon customizations:
[roll0]
[roll1]

DaedalusMkV
2013-03-27, 01:16 AM
For weapon customizing, the only urgent request I have is quick-release on the grenade launcher. With the loss of Bringer and his missiles, it is the only long-range AoE weapon we have, and free reloads means never being caught with the wrong ammo in the tube.

Woops, missed this one.

Uh, you sure you want to try for that? It not being a Favoured weapon, I've got a 25% chance or so of screwing it up, and if we turn a non-Favoured weapon in broken we don't get a replacement for free. It's up to you whether it's worth the risk or not.

Starbin
2013-03-27, 06:57 AM
All for the Lascannon I take it?
Reduced Weight: [roll4] -pass
Custom Grip: [roll5] -Pass
Sacred Inscription: [roll6] -Pass
Quick Release: [roll7] -fail
All versus TN 75.

Edit: Horrible luck working on the Lascannon, amazing luck in getting that piecemeal Carapace armour. Weird. Spending those other unspent Fate Points to reroll the really bad Customization attempts.

Everyone gets all the customizations requested so far save the Quick Release on the Lascannon.

Looks like my luck was infectious! ... thank goodness for rerolls! Thanks!

Major Kiaslu
2013-03-27, 08:03 AM
Yay! :) And now, Kaitlyn's rolls for Requisition attempts!

Meltagun [roll0] vs TN 6
Meltabomb [roll1] vs TN 6
Motion Predictor [roll2] vs TN 6
Refractor [roll3] vs TN 6
Red-dot Laser Sight [roll4] vs TN 46
Magnoculars [roll5] vs TN 56
Rebreather [roll6] vs TN 26
Camo Cloak [roll7] TN 36
Amasec [roll8] vs TN 26

So, got the Magnoculars, the Laser Sight... and the Amasec, which I put down mostly as a joke. :smallwink: Still, we could trade it theoretically, and if nothing else, Kaitlin would be glad of the bottle

LeSwordfish
2013-03-27, 12:37 PM
Commerce tests: By the book. Roll the tests yourself, vs Quaggs Commerce of 45.

Starbin
2013-03-27, 12:46 PM
Commerce tests: By the book. Roll the tests yourself, vs Quaggs Commerce of 45.

Wait, who was that for? All of us or someone specific? If it's for us, do we just make 45 the base for our rolls? Cuz then that means we could actually get E. Rare stuff ...

If I'm missing something, feel free to put a cork in my mouth!

LeSwordfish
2013-03-27, 12:52 PM
Commerce is a skill. You can make opposed tests vs the quartermaster to get bonuses to your logistics roll. What you've been rolling so far is logistics.

Caimheul
2013-03-27, 01:30 PM
Commerce is a skill. You can make opposed tests vs the quartermaster to get bonuses to your logistics roll. What you've been rolling so far is logistics.

Okay, I rolled commerce at the same time as my logistics rolls. (Rolled commerce for the item, and then logistics) Should I have only rolled once for the lot instead of for each item?
Edit: Just noticed that your post was in response to Starbin
Right, I'll post up his rolls then!

RandomLunatic
2013-03-27, 01:35 PM
Woops, missed this one.

Uh, you sure you want to try for that? It not being a Favoured weapon, I've got a 25% chance or so of screwing it up, and if we turn a non-Favoured weapon in broken we don't get a replacement for free. It's up to you whether it's worth the risk or not.

MY understanding was that once you got it issued, replacing it was "simply" a matter of turning it in and filling out the paperwork.

Even if I am wrong, I will risk it anyways. And if you got the time, I would like custom grip, fluid action, and scared inscription on the Lasgun.

Caimheul
2013-03-27, 01:36 PM
Quartermaster's Commerce checks that matter:
Hellpistol: [roll0] TN 45
Auspex: [roll1] TN 45

Right, so Auspex, Hellpistol, and Camo-cloak obtained.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-27, 01:43 PM
Tallahan =/= tallarn. I kinda see the confusion, but the tallahan are tall, blonde, and high-born.

RandomLunatic
2013-03-27, 02:16 PM
How do I into reading comprehension?:smallredface:

Not helping is the fact they're also a recon regiment which is probably why I made the leap in the first place.

DaedalusMkV
2013-03-27, 04:38 PM
MY understanding was that once you got it issued, replacing it was "simply" a matter of turning it in and filling out the paperwork.

Even if I am wrong, I will risk it anyways. And if you got the time, I would like custom grip, fluid action, and scared inscription on the Lasgun.

We've got months. These modifications take hours, and the Enginseer enjoys the work, especially since the Chimera got out of the fights pretty much without a scrape on it.

Quick Release for the Grenade Launcher: [roll0] vs TN 55

Custom Grip: [roll1]
Fluid Action: [roll2]
Sacred Inscription (Selected at random from a pre-approved list of Ecclesiarchy devotional material and inscribed by rote): [roll3]

All versus TN 75

Edit: All resounding successes. Enjoy your nice things, sir.

RandomLunatic
2013-03-27, 05:30 PM
Speaking of nice things, we were supposed to remind LeSwordfish about pintle guns and anti-armor ammo for the Chimera.

The former is easy enough, but the latter less so. Best I can come up with is to re-fluff the Man-Stopper bullets as specialized AP rounds (say, APFSDS-T as opposed to the more typical API-T or APHE-T) and use those. Technically, they are not compatible with the autocannon, but if you look through all the ammo entries, none of the ammo described in the Armory is.

Or we could just get a Hunter-Killer Missile bolted on. Not that it does any better than the autocannon.

Lycan 01
2013-03-28, 03:19 PM
Howdy howdy. Looks like I'll be taking over DrK's character and comrade. Still catching up on the IC, so I can properly get into the character's head. How much XP should he currently be at, and what sort of items should I try to requisition for him, assuming I can try to requisition?

LeSwordfish
2013-03-28, 04:50 PM
XP is 300. Unless you can find the old guide, just give me an idea of what you're going for and i'll price it.

As for requisition, either use existing rolls, or, again, give me an estimate of what you want and i'll suggest it.

IC post within an hour or so. Still waiting on Cronyn.

Lycan 01
2013-03-28, 05:14 PM
What sort of skills and talents would be most useful for a Chimera driver? I mean, assuming he's going to be in the driver seat for most of the game, so most skills and talents won't really do him much good. :smalltongue:

I'll try to requisition up a Meltagun for somebody else to use, and some brand new armor for myself and/or comrade.

Meltagun: [roll0] vs 6
Stormtrooper Carapace Armor: [roll1] vs 6
Light Carapace Armor: [roll2] vs 16
Carapace Chest Piece: [roll3] vs 16
Amasec: [roll4] vs 26

Ahaha... hah... wow. Well at least I got booze. Too bad I'm the designated driver. :smalltongue:

RandomLunatic
2013-03-28, 05:22 PM
Well, Agility and Operate (Surface) are natural choices. Other than that, anything that helps you shoot or not get shot is good, since you are probably going to have to get out on foot sometime.

Lycan 01
2013-03-28, 06:57 PM
Alright, recopying the character sheet. If my math is correct, I should have 450 XP to spend, since DrK didn't had some unspent.

Character Sheet: Cpl Nathan Doyle

"Red ones go faster right sarge?"
-Cpl Doyle

Character Name: Cpl Nathan Doyle
Speciality: Operator
Demeanour: Flippant

Comrade:
Name: "Gunz"
Demeanour: Morose

(2d10+20)[30] (2d10+20)[28] (2d10+20)[38]
(2d10+20)[33] (2d10+20)[28] (2d10+20)[34]
(2d10+20)[27] (2d10+20)[29] (2d10+20)[36]
Re-roll (2d10+20)[30]
Fate (1d10)[5]
Wounds (1d5)[2]

Characteristics:
Characteristics:
{table=head] Stat | Base | Roll | Mods | Total
WS | 20 | 8 | - | 28
BS | 20 | 16 | - | 36
S | 20 | 10 | - | 30
T | 20 | 10 | - | 30
Ag | 20 | 18 | +11 | 49
Int | 20 | 14 | +5 | 39
Per | 20 | 13 | | 33
WP | 20 | 9 | - | 29
Fel | 20 | 8 | - | 28[/table]

Aptitudes:

Knowledge
Agility
Ballistic skill
Fellowship
Fieldcraft
Intelligence
Tech

Skills:
Lingusitics (Low Gothic) (Int): 39
Operate (Surface) +10 (Ag): 59 69 w/MIU
Common Lore (Imperial Guard, Imperium, War) (Int): 39
Deceive (Fel) 28
Navigate (Surface) (Int) 39
Tech Use (Int) 39
Security (Int) 39
Agility (Ag) 49

Traits:
Accustomed to Crowds: Crowds do not count as Difficult Terrain, and when Running or Charging through a dense crowd, no penalty to Agility Test to keep his feet
Hivebound: Whilst outside of an eclosed or artificial environment, -10 penalty to all Survival Tests.
Gunner Comrade: He can fire with my BS when in a vehicle

Talents:
Weapon Training (Las, Low-Tech)
Combat Formation: All members of the Squad add +1 to their Initiative rolls. Any member of the squad may use the Int bonus of this character for their Initiative roll rather than their own Agility Bonus
Paranoia: +2 Initiative, GM may secretely Test using the character's Perception to notice hidden threats.
Rapid Reload: Halve all reload times, rounding down.
Technical Knock

Experience:900/900

Int +5 (100xp)
Comrade Gunner (250xp)
Security (200xp)
Ag + 5 (250xp)
Dodge (200xp)

Equipment:

M36 Lasgun [100m|s/3|1d10+3 E|Clip: 60|Full|Reliable, Lasgun Variable Setting] w/Red dot sight (+10 on single shot)
Charge Packs x4
Imperial Guard Flak Armour [AP 4 All +1 AP vs Blasts]
Uniform
Poor Weather Gear
Knife [5 m|Melee|1d5 R]
Rucksack
Basic Tools
Mess Kit
Water Canteen
Blanket
Sleep Bag
Rechargeable Lamp Pack
Grooming Kit
Dog Tags
Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer
Combat Sustenance Rations, Two Weeks
Auspex/Scanner
Mind Impulse Unit
Combi Tool
Data Slate
Lascutter
1 Set Photocontacts
Microbead
Laspistol with 2 clips
Munitorum manual
Amasec

Corruption & Insanity:
Corruption Points: 0
Insanity Points: 0

Wounds:
Current: 7/7
Critical Damage: 0
Fatigue: 0/3

Fate: 1/1

I'm not sure where he was getting the original +6 bonus to Agility from. :smallconfused: Anyone know the deal behind that? I may be missing something...

Oh, would I be able to spend my Fate Point on one of those requisition rolls, and have it regained during the interim? I think I saw you okay that for somebody else, but I'm a bit late to the show, so I dunno if that applies to me...

RandomLunatic
2013-03-28, 07:04 PM
The +6 Agility is from regimental modifiers.

LeSwordfish
2013-03-28, 07:06 PM
I'd prefer you didn't use the fate point. After all, it wasn't you who saved it.

+6 agility is the regiment bonus.

Lycan 01
2013-03-28, 07:12 PM
Fair enough. :smallsmile:

Well, at least Doyle has crazy-awesome Dodge skills to keep him alive now. Granted, probably won't help him much if the Chimera explodes or something... but still! It's a nice little shred of comfort in this delightfully bleak setting.

When I post, should Doyle and Gunz be returning to the unit, since you mentioned OOC that they were reassigned? Or should I just write under the impression that those orders never actually came through?

LeSwordfish
2013-03-28, 07:17 PM
Yeah, just feel free to join the scene in motion.

Speaking of which, IC post tomorrow morning. Spent my evening wrestling with 3G

LeSwordfish
2013-04-01, 12:13 PM
Varuck, feel free to join the other scene now.

Watupwitdat, you still in? If you don't have time for a full post, let me know and I'll make sure Cronyn still gets taken on the mission.

Also, shameless self-promotion! I'm recruiting for a game of Dark Heresy. Intrigue and murder in deep space, plus an appalling rewritten song that I swear won't come up again. Anyone interested? It should be a reasonably good game for those new to Dark Heresy, which is pretty similar to Only War.

Dark Heresy: Lost and Gone Forever (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15006405#post15006405)

watupwithdat
2013-04-01, 01:36 PM
Yeah, still here. This game had kinda slipped my mind as the pace was slow before and we were getting replacements in, so thought it was still on the backburner. But it seems it had taken off again without my knowledge. :smallannoyed: Getting back up on the horse again, so to speak.

Edit: Getting caught up from a few days ago on the last 1.5 pages of OOC it seems, so I'll reply to and roll what I've missed and such in a bit.

watupwithdat
2013-04-01, 02:49 PM
Alright. Now is the time for requisition or customisation rolls. There's a significant timeskip, so i'm not going to limit how many rolls you can make, just only one roll per item.

I think using fate from the previous mission to re-roll customisation sounds good to me, go for it.
Requisition rolls:
26 base TN.

Chameleoline Cloak, Rare -10 (+20 from tallahan) [roll0] vs 36 [ using fate point to reroll if failure: [roll1] — assuming we can use it on these tests if we could use it for costumizations]
Grapnel & Line, Common +20 [roll2] vs 46
Stummer, Average +10 [roll3] vs 36
Synskin, Very Rare -20 [roll4] vs 6
Meltagun, Very Rare -20 [roll5] vs 6
Assuming you don't get free clips with a successful req of a weapon: Melta Canister (basic), Very Rare -20 [roll6] vs 6
Refractor Field, Very Rare -20 [roll7] vs 6
Rebreather (Scarce +0): [roll8] vs 26

Ammo for preferred regimental weapons get +10 to req tests:
Amputator Shell, Extremely Rare -30 [roll9] vs 6
Expander Round, Scarce +0 [roll10] vs 36
Man-Stopper Bullet, Scarce +0 [roll11] vs 36
All the failures make me sad. :smallfrown:

Anyone who desires weapon customizations, just make your requests and I'll roll 'em up.
Quick Release and Home Materials for the sniper rifle please. :smallsmile:
That'll make it 4 out of 4 allowed costumizations for Cronyn's sniper rifle.
If only 1 modification make it the former of the two.

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-01, 03:44 PM
Quick Release and Home Materials for the sniper rifle please. :smallsmile:
That'll make it 4 out of 4 allowed costumizations for Cronyn's sniper rifle.
If only 1 modification make it the former of the two.

Quick Release: [roll0] -Failed
Home Materials: [roll1] -Success

Both versus TN 75.

You get the Home Materials, but the Quick Release proves tricky to implement with the resources on hand. We can try again after the next mission.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-01, 04:42 PM
Not only do I have no experience with DH, but I am kinda running up against my limit for PbP games, so I am going to have to decline.

Also, I have no more questions IC.

Caimheul
2013-04-01, 05:06 PM
Forgot my fate point re-roll: Respirator [roll0] TN 76 (5 degrees of success on the Commerce check)

Edit: WOW. There are NO respirators available!

Major Kiaslu
2013-04-01, 05:17 PM
You know it's bad when Amasec is more widely available than respirators. ;)

Yes, I'm still here. Kaitlyn's got no questions for the brass, as this isn't a kind of assignment she's experienced in, and doesn't want to come across as ignorant infront of the squad and the brass.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-02, 07:12 AM
Everyone ready to move on to the mission proper? What's Cronyn spending his XP on?

I'll sort out mission gear when I get home.

Lycan 01
2013-04-02, 11:55 AM
Would giving the Chimera a tune-up and trying to weather-proof the engine be the Operator or the Techpriest's job? :smallconfused:

Caimheul
2013-04-02, 12:09 PM
Would giving the Chimera a tune-up and trying to weather-proof the engine be the Operator or the Techpriest's job? :smallconfused:

Probably a little from column a a little from column b. Do YOU want to tell a tech-priest not to touch a machine? :smallbiggrin:

Lycan 01
2013-04-02, 12:16 PM
No, but I also don't want to tell him to do a job that's supposed to be mine, and get chewed out for it. :smalltongue:

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-02, 03:17 PM
No, but I also don't want to tell him to do a job that's supposed to be mine, and get chewed out for it. :smalltongue:

Probably a bit of both. Any sensitive work (like fixing a broken engine or, Emperor help us, the guns) would fall under the Tech-priest's purview, and he'd yell at anyone else who tried it unless he was outright incapable of doing it himself. Simple maintenance work like tune-ups would simply be checked over by the Tech-priest after they're done, since that sort of thing wouldn't normally be important enough to have an Enginseer concern himself directly with it to begin with. Weatherproofing the engine is a hard call to make, though. Perhaps the two collaborated on it to guarantee maximum combat effectiveness in the future?

I'm ready to move on.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-02, 03:55 PM
Unless we can make some last-minute requisition checks, I am ready to go.

watupwithdat
2013-04-03, 01:04 AM
Everyone ready to move on to the mission proper? What's Cronyn spending his XP on?

200 xp on Awareness.

Lycan 01
2013-04-03, 01:26 AM
I'm all set to move on. Just lemme know if I need to roll anything for the tune up and weather-proofing.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-03, 02:20 AM
Yeah, give me a Common Lore (Tech) test please, at +10 for Varuck's help.

Mission assignment gear! Logistics test, total modifiers +10: [roll0] vs 26

Extra/replacement gear: [roll1] [roll2] [roll3]

That looks like a crate of ten lasguns and fifty ration packs, in addition to a respirator each, a crate of screamers, and a crate of mantraps. IC post in a little while, got some work to do.

Major Kiaslu
2013-04-03, 02:27 AM
So, some spades, a massive barrel of fuel, and two suits of carapace armor? After half the party tried rolling to requisition it?

:smallbiggrin: Something tells me we won't be returning that one. Just a feeling... :smallwink:

Ah, need to read the table better. My bad.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-03, 10:53 AM
So that is where all the respirators went.

How many screamers and mantraps in the crates?

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-03, 03:47 PM
Wow, we just got the better part of a full squad worth of standard issue gear, and there's basically nothing we'll be able to do with it. Lasguns and ration packs are basically the only things out there that nobody really has a problem getting a hold of, including us. Why couldn't that third roll have been one of the first two; High Provender is the sort of thing that's in high demand and thus very tradable.

Also, anyone want a spare Respirator? Varuck has one built-in, and thus can't really take advantage.

Caimheul
2013-04-03, 03:56 PM
Wow, we just got the better part of a full squad worth of standard issue gear, and there's basically nothing we'll be able to do with it. Lasguns and ration packs are basically the only things out there that nobody really has a problem getting a hold of, including us. Why couldn't that third roll have been one of the first two; High Provender is the sort of thing that's in high demand and thus very tradable.

Also, anyone want a spare Respirator? Varuck has one built-in, and thus can't really take advantage.

Well, there might be times when an individual doesn't want to have to fill out paper work to get a replacement, and the rations could come in handy if we get stuck in a medium to long term siege during this mission. The lasguns though... well, they could be used as a fluff explanation for Commerce rolls I guess. *shrug*

RandomLunatic
2013-04-03, 04:13 PM
Well, losing gear is a flogging offense, so we have a buffer of replacement guns against that. And since we are pulling guard duty, we can employ the old trick of keeping a spare lasgun in every foxhole so you can keep fighting if the first jams for some reason. I would also add "New York Reload", but everybody already has Rapid Reload, which kind of makes the point moot.

As for the rations, just wait until we get cut off behind enemy lines.