PDA

View Full Version : Only War: Armoured Fist OOC

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

LeSwordfish
2013-04-03, 06:24 PM
Feel free to make a timesplit post to finish your conversation. I'm off to london tomorrow, and so can't guarantee connection until Saturday, so thought i'd get this up now.

Lycan 01
2013-04-03, 11:26 PM
Ack, looks like Doyle doesn't have Common Lore (Tech). Darn. Was hoping it might be Tech-Use or Operate. That's a -20 for untrained, right? Then +10 for Varruck's help...

Common Lore (Tech): [roll0] vs 29

LeSwordfish
2013-04-06, 04:57 AM
Okay, first of all, AP ammo. It completely slipped my mind that you'd requested this, so I think it's fair enough that you tried to get some in the intervening time.

The two main penetration-boosters are Manstopper rounds, which add 3 to your Pen, are Scarce, and only apply to handheld weapons. Alternatively, Anti-tank shells increase penetration to 12 (so a boost of 6), are Extremely Rare, and only apply to artillery and whatnot.

I guess it's better to use manstopper rounds, but Pen 9 may not be the godkilling monstrosity you imagined. As such, you guys choose! Go ahead and try and requisition a bunch of one of them, and i'll say that's expanded to cover autocannons. You get the "ammo for favoured weapon" bonus because, well, it's mounted on all the vehicles, it damn well better be favoured. This'd probably be a good time to use Wolfe's commerce.

Does Guns get to check Awareness to, using my score? If not, let me know, and disregard this next roll.

No. Essentially, comrades are stat boosts. They give you bonuses in combat, some available to everyone (+5 BS, etc) some only available to certain classes (Doyle should have an upgrade allowing Gunz to fire the heavy flamer, for example.)

Quick comrade actions rundown:

Comrades have rubberband AI. If they spend a half action to "Maintain cohesion" they automatically move as fast as you, and end up ithin five meters.
Comrades can also take most standard move actions.
Comrades don't attack as NPCs, instead they either fire alongside you, boosting your BS by 5, or attack alongside you, giving you the Ganging Up bonus.
Doyle has bought an ability allowing Gunz to fire the chimera's weapons. You can essentially fire them on doyle's BS and skills.
When an attack hits you that rolls a double (like 22, 44, etc), Your comrade takes the damage instead.
Comrades don't track wounds. First damage prevents them running, second damage kills them. Some things can kill them outright, but that's solely GM's discretion.
They only take cover if you order them to, which is an action for them of itself.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-06, 05:37 PM
Man-Stoppers give us a 50-50 shot of penetrating an AP of 35, and anything tougher than that is a tank, and will eat the Noctis for lunch in a shooting match anyway. And we are a lot more likely to acquire them-I would having prefer having an acceptable solution than not having a good one.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-07, 03:26 AM
So is their any inherent risk due to weather in dismounting? I mean, our environmental gear has to be good for SOMETHING...

Awareness and Agility tests will be at a penalty, but your gear will protect you.

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-07, 05:05 AM
Man-Stoppers give us a 50-50 shot of penetrating an AP of 35, and anything tougher than that is a tank, and will eat the Noctis for lunch in a shooting match anyway. And we are a lot more likely to acquire them-I would having prefer having an acceptable solution than not having a good one.

Yeah, I was using the wrong figure for Chimera-chassis front armour to begin with. They were all updated to 30 armour front in the proper release, which is much more manageable. Still, definitely could use access to some Man-stopper equivalents to increase killing power against tanks.

Attempting to get my hands on one magazine of AP shells:
[roll0] vs TN 46.

Nope. Not even close.

Caimheul
2013-04-07, 10:10 AM
Allow me to try: [roll0] tn 50 Commerce vs [roll1] tn 45
Six degrees of success I believe... Afb currently.

[roll2] logistics tn 106
I quite enjoy commerce....:smallbiggrin:

Edit: So in any case I figure Cronyn should line up a shot on the smoker ready to take him should it become necessary, and Kora ready to blow a hole through that Chimera. Are we approaching in the open, or are we attempting to sneak up on him? Open gives him a chance to shoot at us, BUT reduces the likelihood of misunderstandings...

Starbin
2013-04-08, 09:09 AM
Curious, which option would work best for Kora? It sounds like there's a pintle mount from which she could hook the lascannon? Or are we talking about a different weapon there? Like everyone else, it's not the range, but the vis ...

Caimheul
2013-04-08, 09:22 AM
Curious, which option would work best for Kora? It sounds like there's a pintle mount from which she could hook the lascannon? Or are we talking about a different weapon there? Like everyone else, it's not the range, but the vis ...

Well, you had mentioned "modifying a pintle mount" which in my mind is just a reason to allow the lascannon to shoot from the open top of the Chimera.... I'm afb right now so can't check if the rules allow for heavy weapons to shoot from inside the Chimera or not.

Anyway, if you CAN shoot from the Chimera, I personally think you SHOULD just because then you are more mobile as well. If you'd rather set up outside so both our heavy weapons aren't in one basket that works too.

Starbin
2013-04-08, 09:28 AM
True, I would like to shoot from the Nox ... but that bit of character exposition was simply for RP purposes. It's not like Kora would have any godly Emperorly idea of how to modify a pintle :smallbiggrin:

Varuck? Help? :smalltongue:

LeSwordfish
2013-04-08, 09:36 AM
I think its reasonable for you to fire out of the top of the chimera, but only if it gains the Open-Topped rule while you do so.

Starbin
2013-04-08, 09:51 AM
So be it! Assuming that Sarge would realize that, Caim, would you still have given Kora the same directions? I'm guessing there will be a ... consequence to having an open top in a sand storm :smallbiggrin:

Caimheul
2013-04-08, 09:52 AM
True, I would like to shoot from the Nox ... but that bit of character exposition was simply for RP purposes. It's not like Kora would have any godly Emperorly idea of how to modify a pintle :smallbiggrin:

Varnuck? Help? :smalltongue:

Upon reflection, the latter is the better option, as it also allows you to be set up and ready to fire right away rather than waiting for the Chimera to get into the courtyard... Also, one lucky hit then doesn't deprive us of ALL our anti-vehicle capability. Definately worth looking into before any running battles/ambushes during the convoy stuff.

Edit: Current Plan: Cronyn and Torin set up at the archway, providing cover/lookout for other threats. Varruck and Doyle stay with the Chimera, ready to come blasting in at the first sign of trouble. Kora sets up either in the Chimera (added manoeuvrability, worse firing from a moving vehicle though and makes the Chimera a bigger target), or sets up at the archway (ready to blast the suspicious Chimera if necessary, no penalty to shooting, splits the location of our anti-armour).

Open topped make sense, going to edit orders post though, am thinking having Kora set up outside will be more devastating of an alpha strike if this IS a trap...

RandomLunatic
2013-04-08, 02:42 PM
Question: Are all vox comms out, or do our microbeads still work for talking to each other and we just cannot raise the main convoy?

LeSwordfish
2013-04-08, 02:54 PM
Your microbeads can contact each other, yes.

The chimera is empty, as far as you can see.

Caimheul
2013-04-08, 02:57 PM
Question: Are all vox comms out, or do our microbeads still work for talking to each other and we just cannot raise the main convoy?

Honestly, considering we're kind of AWAY from the main convoy, I don't really want to draw attention to that fact so have been trying to convey listening rather than transmitting. LeSwordfish could have some nefarious table regarding ambushes and the more transmissions we make the more likely we are to get attacked... Or he just has a set time we'll be attacked by genestealer cultists and eldar pirates... Even if you can't decipher a transmission, you can always triangulate it's origin!

Caimheul
2013-04-08, 02:59 PM
And forgot my Awareness test I wanted to do (although Paranoia likely takes care of that for me :smalltongue:) [roll0] TN 40 - Sandstorm.

Clearly there is sand in Wolfe's goggles....

LeSwordfish
2013-04-08, 03:12 PM
I'll bear in mind that you're constantly listening.

Caimheul
2013-04-08, 03:20 PM
I'll bear in mind that you're constantly listening.

And now I can look forward to a distracting feedback screech. :smalltongue:

LeSwordfish
2013-04-08, 03:23 PM
I haven't denied the set time for ambushes, mind.

Caimheul
2013-04-08, 03:27 PM
I haven't denied the set time for ambushes, mind.

Nor the genestealer cults and eldar pirates.... :smallwink:

Starbin
2013-04-08, 03:33 PM
HUZZAH! May we live in interesting times.

For at least fifeteen hours, right?

Major Kiaslu
2013-04-08, 03:42 PM
We've lasted that long, just about. :smallwink:

RandomLunatic
2013-04-08, 04:04 PM
That is true. I was more concerned about whether the two halves of the squad would be able to stay in touch when we went in.

Caimheul
2013-04-08, 04:36 PM
Am not used to having NPC "party" members. Do we still have our backup driver with us?
Regardless, we all have the skill, so any one of us can hop in it if need be...

Edit: Thought I had while driving home today: If the Tallahans are a recon regiment and had to borrow the Chimeras, where did they get their drivers from? I figure this is something that Wolfe might know...

Lycan 01
2013-04-09, 03:39 AM
Am I supposed to make a Commerce check still? Or did we already get what we needed? :smallconfused:

Caimheul
2013-04-09, 09:20 AM
Am I supposed to make a Commerce check still? Or did we already get what we needed? :smallconfused:

Wolfe took care of it (I think 3 reloads? or is it just one per Logistics test, will check tonight am AFB right now). Wolfe has Commerce which if he succeeds on an opposed Commerce Check with the Quartermaster, gives a bonus to the Logistics roll. Basically, if we have something we really need, Wolfe should try to get it. After this mission, will probably start taking requests from each person like Varruck ends up doing with our customizations, with the restriction of one item per person and likely no duplicates (due to the restrictions on Logistics check LeSwordfish rightly has in place, otherwise we'd just check for one piece of kit, using 50+ rolls a post!.... or is that just me? :smallwink:) unless there is some way to check for a squad's worth of Carapace armour in one go, rather than checking for a single suit.... (maybe a penalty for scope like in Rogue Trader?)

LeSwordfish
2013-04-09, 03:31 PM
Edit: Thought I had while driving home today: If the Tallahans are a recon regiment and had to borrow the Chimeras, where did they get their drivers from? I figure this is something that Wolfe might know...

Some of them can drive.

Did Wolfe take the standard Sargeant's gear? He's at least entitled to a pistol and chainsword, should he want one.

Caimheul
2013-04-09, 03:45 PM
Some of them can drive.

Did Wolfe take the standard Sargeant's gear? He's at least entitled to a pistol and chainsword, should he want one.

Well, I took a pistol at character creation from the "Hiver's grab bag" and recently managed to requisition a hot-shot pistol for him (which I just considered his promotion pistol. With the abysmal rolls the Quartermaster has had on the opposed checks, someone in requisitions must have a crush on the medic....:smalltongue:). Seeing as his WS kinda stinks and his aptitudes are purely support in nature now, I forgot to check the rest of the gear. I'll update the character sheet after work.

Edit: AH HA! It *IS* Kelly's heroes.

Further edit: Right, so Wolfe will take a chainsword (which he doesn't have the talent for nor am I going to spend the 300 xp on it, still makes for a decent tool/sign of authority), but I don't really think he needs another laspistol. Sergeants kind of get the short end of the stick as far as starting equipment goes...

Caimheul
2013-04-09, 07:17 PM
So apparently the Commerce check for Evaluate is supposed to be done in secret... And then the GM tells the player their character's estimate of the rarity of the item, since you don't really buy stuff with Thrones
So I'm taking a slightly different tactic [roll0] Commerce for an estimate of the planet's economy.

Follow me down this line of reasoning (Blame my business degree): Gold and art's values are determined by how much people are willing to pay for them. In a normal economy, this pile is likely enough for all of us to retire comfortably. However, in a warzone with no access to cities and restricted access to offworld markets, gold and art are worth almost nothing, especially not the risk of execution. Armour, weapons, alcohol, and drugs on the other hand...

So if this lot is gathering up gold, then they're risking being brought up on charges for dissertation and looting for a commodity they would have to hide until they could smuggle it off planet for it to have any value. Unless that is, they have a buyer already....

Lycan 01
2013-04-09, 07:21 PM
Heh, Kelly's Heroes indeed. Lovely little plot we've uncovered; can't wait to see where it goes. :smallamused:

RandomLunatic
2013-04-09, 07:40 PM
Being highborn, I assume that the loot, while having little practical value for the established reasons, is meant to decorate their quarters or be sent home.

Though your assessment of them being idiots is pretty spot-on.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-10, 03:56 AM
So apparently the Commerce check for Evaluate is supposed to be done in secret... And then the GM tells the player their character's estimate of the rarity of the item, since you don't really buy stuff with Thrones
So I'm taking a slightly different tactic [roll0] Commerce for an estimate of the planet's economy.

Follow me down this line of reasoning (Blame my business degree): Gold and art's values are determined by how much people are willing to pay for them. In a normal economy, this pile is likely enough for all of us to retire comfortably. However, in a warzone with no access to cities and restricted access to offworld markets, gold and art are worth almost nothing, especially not the risk of execution. Armour, weapons, alcohol, and drugs on the other hand...

So if this lot is gathering up gold, then they're risking being brought up on charges for dissertation and looting for a commodity they would have to hide until they could smuggle it off planet for it to have any value. Unless that is, they have a buyer already....

You're basically right, from what you have seen so far. (As far as you can tell, they're drinking champagne and sleeping on silk in the forge, but probably not.)

There will more than likely be a few people on your side of the line willing to pay a decent price for this sort of thing- the Tallahan may not have an easy way off-planet, but it's not impossible that someone else does.

Am I to take this as a request for an Evaluate check?

Caimheul
2013-04-10, 07:25 AM
You're basically right, from what you have seen so far. (As far as you can tell, they're drinking champagne and sleeping on silk in the forge, but probably not.)

There will more than likely be a few people on your side of the line willing to pay a decent price for this sort of thing- the Tallahan may not have an easy way off-planet, but it's not impossible that someone else does.

Am I to take this as a request for an Evaluate check?

Please. I should have been clearer. As well, the commerce check was to see if Wolfe knows of any local markets for these particular goods.

I completely forgot about the upper ranks... people with the authority to move this stuff off the planet... but have a higher chance of just "confiscating" the stolen goods rather than paying the agreed price. Or the Tallahans may purchase their commissions.... hmmmm... have to see how this plays out...

LeSwordfish
2013-04-10, 09:24 AM
Evaluate test
[roll0]

Results: Could be anything, really. Wolfe's no expert on paintings and jewellery. Looks like the sort of thing people pay a lot for, but otherwise... unknown.

Commerce: There is, of course, a black market, but at the moment it's mostly rumor. The chance that it's more organised than Wolfe realised is worth considering.

Caimheul
2013-04-10, 10:34 AM
Right, sooner or later I'm going to need to get a vote on what to do here.... especially since looting is likely to get us all shot. Just something for people to start considering, am trying to avoid metagaming, and am holding out informing the rest of the squad until 1) we are in a position of semi-strength and/or ii) we have a better idea of what their plan is here and definitely c) who exactly we're dealing with...

RandomLunatic
2013-04-10, 10:58 AM
Well, the best option, IMO, is to offer to report to Salo they got lost if they drop what they're doing and get back in the Chimera now.

The chief weakness, of course, is it counts on the highborn having the common sense not to desert their post and drive in near-zero visibility through a village in enemy territory (Read: Best way to get meltagunned ever) because they saw shinies.

In other words, we will have to see just how deep the well of stupidity runs.

Lycan 01
2013-04-10, 03:39 PM
I think that despite his flippancy, Doyle is pretty firm in his loyalty and beliefs. He's not going to have much sympathy for these idiots, since rather than following orders and serving the Emperor, they're off being AWOL and robbing folks. Potentially robbing devoted servants of the Emprah, in fact.

Mind you, he's not going to suggest we line 'em up and stick Gunz on the flamer. :smalltongue: He's just likely going to support the idea of handling this as "by the book" as possible, or pulling something clever to find out how deep the rabbit hole goes. :smallcool:

Also, did DrK ever give Doyle a physical description? :smallconfused:

LeSwordfish
2013-04-10, 03:45 PM
I don't think so.

(Incedentally, this sort of thing is why I was against commissars.)

Caimheul
2013-04-10, 03:55 PM
I don't think so.

(Incedentally, this sort of thing is why I was against commissars.)

Fair enough. Priest could only really justify one response as well, without getting too far out of the fluff. Also a commissar would have actual authority over these jokers and could make them cut it out, reducing the tension.

Look at it this way, the house was unguarded, (as far as we know thus far, the death of civies is going to drastically change the morality here, especially if they were loyalists/no proof otherwise), and by taking it ourselves we prevent the enemy (who as far as Wolfe is concerned as a result of his paranoia, is going to attack any minute) from claiming this wealth and using it to purchase off-world support. Now, the commanders will likely take a cut from what we've found, so why shouldn't we take a SMALL portion of it (such as some booze or drugs that trades for maximum value, or weapon or armour that can be claimed to be stripped from an enemy corpse and therefore rightful salvage) and turn in the rest. Or we could destroy the loot and the home. If we simply coerce or force this squad to leave the wealth behind, you can bet they'll be pulling this SAME garbage again on the way back.

Alternately... kill these idiots, blow up the chimera, and return with just enough evidence to claim we found them but it was "too late." :smallwink: (<-Not advocating this as a GOOD idea...)

Starbin
2013-04-10, 04:06 PM
Well, I guess we have to decide what kind of squad we are. I'm usually horrible at being a real 'bad guy' so I vote that we are not thieves / looters; however we might be opportunistic (in the name of the Emperor, of course!).

That being said, I'm okay with doing everything from telling them to quit and letting this drop to wiping out the lot for crimes against humanity. I think what we'll find is that once you start to affect a criminal's bottom-line, you've put violence on the table as an option.

Alright, something else to consider - why here? This isn't some house that they randomly rolled up on in a sandstorm. They obviously targeted the estate ... was it because they knew it was evacuated priviously? Were they under orders from higher in their command chain? Do they have a map with other potential targets on it in their Chimera? Things to consider ...

Lycan 01
2013-04-10, 04:18 PM
If we turn these frakkers in and can honestly say we didn't take anything, methinks the COs will, at the very least, give us a nice pat on the head for being good little soldiers. Potentially, we may see some windfall from being good little soldiers - extra gear, a cut of the spoils, commendations, who knows what.

Besides, Doyle already has some amesac. :smallwink:

Starbin
2013-04-10, 04:24 PM
Well, we need to be careful ... the other side of this is how thick is the code amongst soldiers? Also, when it comes to interaction between our two groups at the highest levels, what would such an action do? I'd almost rather take out the whole squad and burn the bodies than simply narc them out. Unless they are complete idiots or stupidly greedy, we should be able to find a solution at our level that lets them save enough face.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-10, 04:29 PM
Well, if they have found anything that is actually worth looting (the wine cellar), we could just make them cut us in or we turn them in. Otherwise, we drag them out by there ear before the convoy gets any further ahead of us than it already is. Being alone in a dust storm with no vox or auspex is really not a fun place to be in, and Torin is really annoyed.

Caimheul
2013-04-10, 04:35 PM
Alright, something else to consider - why here? This isn't some house that they randomly rolled up on in a sandstorm. They obviously targeted the estate ... was it because they knew it was evacuated priviously? Were they under orders from higher in their command chain? Do they have a map with other potential targets on it in their Chimera? Things to consider ...

My guess? They were part of the scouting party, discovered this place, and kept it to themselves. Now that they have a Chimera to hide the loot in (from what I can tell they scouted on foot), they're loading it to the brim and taking the stuff with them.

Well, we need to be careful ... the other side of this is how thick is the code amongst soldiers? Also, when it comes to interaction between our two groups at the highest levels, what would such an action do? I'd almost rather take out the whole squad and burn the bodies than simply narc them out. Unless they are complete idiots or stupidly greedy, we should be able to find a solution at our level that lets them save enough face.

We're hivers and many of us are ex-gangers, they're nobles. We try to narc on them, they point the finger right back at us, we lose. Besides which, we probably loose the support of any other squad (snitches get stitches)/good luck getting help from the Tallahans....

Lycan 01
2013-04-10, 04:42 PM
Now watch them be working for an Inquisitor to recover secret =I= intel hidden amongst the loot. :smallbiggrin:

Starbin
2013-04-10, 04:45 PM
Agreed on both accounts, Caim. What if we let them load up, but at some point the HQ got wind of looting going on, and they do a unit-wide search of all vehicles (M & T)? An alternative is that we warn them that our command is notorious for spot checks, especially during comm-out situations, because 'the brass doesn't trust fraggers like us!' Might have them question whether this is a good idea, and we're the guys trying to help them out. Works even better if we manage a spot inspection when we get back and we look like we saved their arses!

How's your smooth-talking / bluffing? :smallbiggrin:

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-10, 05:29 PM
Varuck's response: Anyone who abandons their post without orders, particularly for personal gain, is a deserter. The assigned punishment for desertion is execution. If they had a good reason for abandoning their post (like chasing down fleeing traitors), they would have relayed it over the vox and allowed Command to compensate for the situation. As such, if they do not return to their post they should be executed.

He's a bit of a stickler for the rules most of the time.

Any compromise which involves the Tallahans returning to the convoy would be considered acceptable enough that he wouldn't object, though there's pretty much only one possible thing that would stop him reporting their lack of discipline to our superiors when the mission is over. Well, two really, since if they call on Varuck to fix an actually broken Chimera, he'll probably take technical difficulties at face value as an explanation.

Regarding the finger-pointing and what have you, remember that the Guard couldn't care less where you came from or who your family was before enlisting. If they get caught red-handed with a Chimera-full of contrabrand after disappearing from their assigned mission and we report to Command that they were looting, they're still going to get flogged, then shot, then returned to the front line. (The favoured penalty for deserters! How good their reason was for deserting determines how non-lethally you shoot them.)

Caimheul
2013-04-10, 06:29 PM
Darn. Varruck being a stickler for the rules means any plan that does not include coming clean to the C.O.s or lying to the tech priest is basically out. Especially the thought I had of modifying the spare las guns we have to look like they could have been used by rebels, turning in the treasure alongside some of the spares as if we reclaimed it from a group of rebels.

While the munitorium/guard as a whole may not care, the generals and/or commanders are often political animals, and may want the good will of the guardsman's family. Besides, as hiver scum we have more reason to lie than the nobles.

Starbin
2013-04-11, 02:31 PM
I'm noticing a trend ... do we actually have someone who took Awareness as a skill? :smallbiggrin:

Caimheul
2013-04-11, 02:37 PM
I'm noticing a trend ... do we actually have someone who took Awareness as a skill? :smallbiggrin:

Yes, the Paranoid Sergeant/Medic tests Awareness vs a Per of 40 :smallbiggrin:

RandomLunatic
2013-04-11, 03:07 PM
The Stormtrooper also has Awareness trained.

Starbin
2013-04-11, 03:37 PM
Must be the fact that those of us w/o trained Awareness averaged 75 on our rolls ... even my Rnk 14 Moritat Reaper would have failed her check!

Lycan 01
2013-04-11, 04:24 PM
Oh hey, I have an Auspex! :smallbiggrin:

What's the rules for those in Only War? How do they function, and what do I roll to use it? Tech-Use, I assume, but any extra mods?

Starbin
2013-04-11, 04:32 PM
I think it's tech use, but you'll get a bonus if you have an MIU, IIRC.

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-11, 04:43 PM
+30 on Awareness checks within 60 Meters while active, can take a Tech-use test to be able to notice things that wouldn't be noticable to human senses, like an odorless gas or the presence of radiation, again within 60 Meters. Requires Tech-Use to use.

That's what's in the book, anyways.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-11, 04:47 PM
My book says 50 meters range, but otherwise the same thing as above. It also says 50 cm of material blocks it, so we may not get a whole lot trying to scan the building.

Lycan 01
2013-04-11, 04:47 PM
How much is the MIU benefit? +10?

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-11, 05:04 PM
How much is the MIU benefit? +10?

Yeah, the same +10 MIU gives on everything.

Lycan 01
2013-04-11, 05:26 PM
Alrighty, thanks guys. :smallbiggrin:

*scurries off to make Doyle potentially useful in this situation*

Also, after the mentioning of Kelly's Heroes, I'm having trouble not seeing Doyle as the zany, bearded tank commander dude. :smalltongue:

Caimheul
2013-04-11, 05:27 PM
Alrighty, thanks guys. :smallbiggrin:

*scurries off to make Doyle potentially useful in this situation*

Also, after the mentioning of Kelly's Heroes, I'm having trouble not seeing Doyle as the zany, bearded tank commander dude. :smalltongue:

:smalleek: What have I done?!

Lycan 01
2013-04-11, 05:32 PM
Made things more interesting? :smalltongue:

Darn, missed the Tech-Use roll by 10 points, and the Awareness roll didn't work. :smallsigh:

Awareness: [roll0] vs 13

And another 59. :smallannoyed:

Starbin
2013-04-11, 05:56 PM
On the bright side, you brought the average of our untrained awareness checks down to 72! :smalltongue:

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-11, 06:18 PM
The sniper spoke up. "LeVillian said he found some interesting tech in the basement. Should he bring it up?"

"Of course." Valentin wasn't even trying to hide it now. "They said they bought tech, didn't they?"

:smalleek:

:smallmad:

:smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious:

HERESY!!!!

*Insensible gibberish about destroying the betrayers in the name of the Omnissiah*

It's a damn good thing for them that Varuck isn't there. I'm pretty sure that he has the personal right to summarily execute anyone who implies that they're going to sell valuable tech on the black market.

Caimheul
2013-04-11, 06:35 PM
I vote we use the one social skill any of us have ranks in: BS.

Shouldn't have treated Wolfe like an idiot....

Oh and to make Wolfe shoulder the blame, am taking a quick vote to make sure no one objects too strongly before posting. Don't worry he'll shoot first and issue the orders. Things go badly with command, well, it's his fault and I'm willing to accept that.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-11, 07:24 PM
Roasting stuck-up rich rich kids? I thought you would never ask.:smallbiggrin:

Just do not step in the way of the flamer in the process, 'kay?

Caimheul
2013-04-11, 07:26 PM
Roasting stuck-up rich rich kids? I thought you would never ask.:smallbiggrin:

Just do not step in the way of the flamer in the process, 'kay?

Prefer if you DIDN'T burn down the house with the unknown tech in the basement actually... Until we get a chance to remove it that is :smallbiggrin:

RandomLunatic
2013-04-11, 07:34 PM
It is made of stone. And I would much prefer we not get burned down by lasfire.

Caimheul
2013-04-11, 07:43 PM
Agreed on that point, however, the only things listed as being stone were the stairs leading in, the floor is only marked as being tile... Stone walls do not tend to FADE, so there is at least flammable stuff on the walls. Don't you have a grenade launcher for situations like this? :smallsmile:

RandomLunatic
2013-04-11, 07:47 PM
At this range, just throwing them is more appropriate.

Thing is, with Hail Of Fire, the flamer should let me pin the whole room down, making killing them so much easier. I doubt frag grenades would have the coverage to catch all the enemies at once.

Caimheul
2013-04-11, 07:51 PM
At this range, just throwing them is more appropriate.

Thing is, with Hail Of Fire, the flamer should let me pin the whole room down, making killing them so much easier. I doubt frag grenades would have the coverage to catch all the enemies at once.

Yeah, but LeSwordfish was pretty good about damaging buildings in the last mission, and I'd rather this one didn't collapse....

Lycan 01
2013-04-11, 08:04 PM
How far is that one soldier from the Nox? Is he within 'run the frakker over' range? :smallamused:

RandomLunatic
2013-04-11, 08:28 PM
Those were temporary wood structures. This is a permanent stone dwelling. It should take more than a frag grenade to knock it down. Unless the local building codes are incredibly lax.

Also, if you want to shoot it out, at least not while they are all facing us. Get them to look the other ways first, as in "Basement? Let's have a look."

Caimheul
2013-04-11, 09:02 PM
Those were temporary wood structures. This is a permanent stone dwelling. It should take more than a frag grenade to knock it down. Unless the local building codes are incredibly lax.

Also, if you want to shoot it out, at least not while they are all facing us. Get them to look the other ways first, as in "Basement? Let's have a look."

Guaranteed to have them look at us as the Sergeant starts talking down to us again. Alpha strike is likely the best bet, with suppressing fire included. I still don't think this building is completely stone, the only things LeSwordfish has specifically SAID are stone were the steps leading in and the tilling that I can find.

Starbin
2013-04-11, 11:24 PM
If you're looking for votes, you know I'm done with gun barrel diplomacy. Of course, if the high burns are on an Inquisitor/HQ-sanctioned mission, that could explain the superior attitude as well. Or he's an officious a$$.

Fire away ... Just give us as much element of surprise. Kora could always yell "Rebels!" and blow the Chimera (so to speak) ...

Caimheul
2013-04-11, 11:44 PM
If you're looking for votes, you know I'm done with gun barrel diplomacy. Of course, if the high burns are on an Inquisitor/HQ-sanctioned mission, that could explain the superior attitude as well. Or he's an officious a$$.

Fire away ... Just give us as much element of surprise. Kora could always yell "Rebels!" and blow the Chimera (so to speak) ...

Well I think we're about to find out. The die is cast...
And the Fate point is spent...

LeSwordfish
2013-04-12, 03:55 AM
Scrutiny test for Valentin, at -10 for feasibility, trying to beat 2DOS [roll0]

He gets 1DOS, and fails. Will update IC this evening after a few more people have had a chance for input: feel free to react presuming Valentin's buying it.

Regarding the building: It is mostly stone. There's still enough stuff for it to burn interestingly, and of course heavy impacts will destroy it, but no, a flamer blast or frag grenade won't bring it down. (A casual one. Successful Demolitions tests could do far more damage, of course.

Lycan 01
2013-04-12, 04:00 AM
Scrutiny test for Valentin, trying to beat 1DOS [roll0]

Regarding the building: It is mostly stone. There's still enough stuff for it to burn interestingly, and of course heavy impacts will destroy it, but no, a flamer blast or frag grenade won't bring it down.

...well that's not good. :smalleek:

Soooo, what do I have to roll to run over the guy in front of my Chimera? :smalltongue: Or rather, can I have Gunz try to drop the frakker via lasgunning from a viewport?

LeSwordfish
2013-04-12, 04:02 AM
Tweaked the difficulty after looking at the Scrutiny chart in the Only War book.

You could run Augustin down, but he's close to the other Chimera- you'd end up Ramming that.

Lycan 01
2013-04-12, 04:11 AM
Aw, but that would scratch the paint... :smallfrown:

Alright, will hold off on vehicular manslaughter for the time being. Heading to bed right now; I'll post tomorrow once I see how Varruck and the rest of the team react.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-12, 04:29 AM
I think either Daedalus or Varuck has misunderstood something here.

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-12, 04:39 AM
Quite possibly. I thought that I was ordered to start Suppressive Fire through the entrance to the compound into the front of the structure, since I've got frankly no idea where else I would be supposed to be firing at. Outside the compound for some reason? There's only one possible target, so I'm not sure where else I'm supposed to be directing fire.

I'll wait for further clarification, I suppose.

Caimheul
2013-04-12, 05:05 AM
Well... the archway I meant was the entry to the courtyard, beyond which there are no know hostiles of any sort, not the doorway which the entire squad just ducked through (and as far as I know is NOT guarded by any of the Tallahan's, only guard I'm aware of is at the ramp of the Chimera). I figured three autocannon rounds that would be replaced for free at the end of the mission were worth trading to sow confusion and discord amongst the Tallahans BEFORE we started shooting at them. I needed to get them to look a different way, and figured pretending we were under attack by rebels who "followed us" was the best way to get a response... Of course, the orders to Cronyn and Kona were meant to be taken as something completely different... Basically I wanted to manufacture a Charlie Foxtrot so we could shoot the Tallahans in the back like the good little hivers we are!

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-13, 02:28 AM
Um, yeah, in that case I completely misinterperated that. Let me quickly modify my post to reflect the fact that Varuck is firing in completely the opposite direction I had initially anticipated, and also questioning the situation, since those orders make no apparent sense in combination with those given to the other squad members.

Edit: Necessary edits made. Thank you for your patience.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-13, 04:34 AM
Before we can move on, some clarification: you intend to start combat with the Tallahan when they're distracted, yes? If so, next post might not be until quite late this evening as i sort out the combat maps.

Starbin
2013-04-13, 11:01 AM
Well, Kora was planning on shooting Sgt V for my next post, so yes!

LeSwordfish
2013-04-13, 04:21 PM
No post until tomorrow, sorry. Missed my train so have only just got home.

watupwithdat
2013-04-13, 06:07 PM

Cronyn's got it now. Though as a self-proclaimed sniper/scout it felt strange that he didn't have it the whole first mission. :smalltongue:

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-13, 06:20 PM
It would cost Varuck something like 300 XP for Awareness, much less advancing it beyond the most basic level. Pretty much anything Per-based simply isn't on the table for Techpriests, who get neither Per nor Finesse nor Fieldcraft Aptitudes.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-14, 12:52 AM
Despite my enthusiastic deployment of fire-based weaponry, I think I have set a grand total of two people on fire so far. And one of them was a critical hit with my lasgun.:smallmad:

Also, because I forgot: [roll0]

LeSwordfish
2013-04-14, 03:05 PM
Okay folks, Wolfe's actions have won you a surprise round. For those of you not in the know, you get +30 to hit and the opponents cannot dodge.

Wolfe's decieve test is his surprise round action, Montru, Kora, Varuck and Cronyn have posted actions: I'm still waiting on Kaitlyn. Map is here (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13673854/RPG/Armoured%20Fist/mission2/villamap_surprise.svg).

Montru: the enemies are too widely spaced for you to hit all of them with a flamer shot. It's the two by the pillars, or the three on the stairs, plus Wolfe will need to make an agility roll to avoid the flames.

Valentin is the closest of the three on the stairs. This building also has both an attic and a cellar level, but until you move onto them I can't be bothered drawing them.

IC post and initiative rolls after i've made dinner.

Major Kiaslu
2013-04-14, 03:20 PM
Sorry bout that, was trying to work out the dimensions of the battle (and if Kaitlyn would've heard Wolfe's orders, given that she was just transmitting) Still, in this situation, her choice is fairly clear.:smallsmile:

Quick question, how many of us have got Combat Formation again? ;) It's that's applicable, then I know that gives us fairly heavy roll bonuses to inititive. (or do we all roll that at the same value.... that confuses me a bit.) Still, inititive shouldn't be a matter for this first post, so I'll go get that up.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-14, 03:28 PM
6 of us have Combat Formation, and Wolfe's INT bonus is 5, so your init modifier is +11, plus two more if you are the paranoid sort.

For my part, I will move to N15 and toast the two guys on the left.

watupwithdat
2013-04-14, 04:37 PM
LeSwordfish usually does all initiative rolls for PCs and NPCs at the same time, so no need to do an individual initiative roll yourself Major. :smallsmile:

LeSwordfish
2013-04-14, 04:38 PM
Okay, let's do this. I'm tired as hell, so excuse me if i mess stuff up, but i've left you guys waiting too long to delay until tomorrow morning.

General information
Troopers have a soak of seven, four from armour, three from TB. Valentin has TB of four.
If you want to make dodge rolls, the standard troopers are rolling with Agility 40, Valentin is at 45.

Valentin
Rapid reaction test: [roll0] So gets a dodge roll, and an action.
Dodging sniper shot if passed: [roll1]
14 damage from cronyn, reduced by five due to his soak, takes nine wounds. Dodges Cronyn's shot.
7/12/11 from Kora, reduced to 0/4/3 due to soak, takes seven wounds. Eight damage from Kaitlin. Still standing. Just.

Troopers with Valentin
One takes three damage from the lowest-powered hellgun shot i've ever seen.

Troopers by pillars
For the sake of fairness, and so no impropriety can be imagined by Torin rolling dice before assigning hits, rolls to determine which sets of rolls apply: [roll2][roll3], add one if duplicate.
If they fail their dodge, they take two damage each, if ignited they take an additional [roll4] [roll5] respectively.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-14, 04:51 PM
LeSwordfish usually does all initiative rolls for PCs and NPCs at the same time, so no need to do an individual initiative roll yourself Major. :smallsmile:

I'm not going to complain about people beating me to the punch, though.

Speaking of which, initiative.

Wolfe [roll0]
Kora [roll1]
Torin- 18
Cronyn [roll2]
Varuck [roll3]
Doyle [roll4]
Kaitlyn [roll5]

Those of you with Paranoia, or whohave already rolled and i missed it, please speak up as I haven't included it- no energy to trawl the character sheets right now.

Valentin [roll6] (You aren't the only ones with combat formation)
Tallahan troopers [roll7]

So you guys get another round of actions before the Tallahan can respond, though they are no longer surprised.

Valentin's action- half action jump behind staircase as cover, moving directly back from his current position, half action draw hand cannon.

Major Kiaslu
2013-04-14, 04:54 PM
*wave* Paranoid, and already rolled in the IC, getting a 16. :smallsmile: Though that... doesn't actually change anything, but WTH. ;)

LeSwordfish
2013-04-14, 04:56 PM
For those of you new to the game, don't wait for initiative order, just post whenever, and i'll apply your actions in the correct order. IC post coming now- may be a bit basic, i'm sorry.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-14, 05:19 PM
Man, Torin is the worst arsonist ever. I am up to 3 guys set on fire. At least I am keeping them Pinned nice and good.

Lycan 01
2013-04-14, 05:29 PM
What's the Tallahan in front of the Chimera doing? Which weapons could be potentially used to hit him right now?

I'm thinking Varuck should drop off the autocannon and try to see what's going on with the beepy thing, while Gunz hops up to take his place since he can use my BS to shoot stuff. Would they be able to attack in this same round, or would the switch and swiveling of the turret take too long? :smallconfused:

Major Kiaslu
2013-04-14, 05:39 PM
Rolls, because I forgot to put them in the Frackin' IC... :P

Attack [roll0] TN 88: 43+5 (Custom Grip) +10 (Short Range) +10 (Standard Attack) +10 (Red dot sight) +10 (Aim)

Damage [roll1] E, Pen 7

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-14, 07:21 PM
Varuck will likely pop off the Autocannon next round, but I already know more than enough about the 'beepy thing'. For the moment, it's time to splatter said trooper all over the enemy Chimera, for the Omnissiah.

Starbin
2013-04-14, 07:29 PM
Hey, don't forget to let Kora play if you decide to shoot the Chimera!

RandomLunatic
2013-04-14, 07:53 PM
There should not be any need to shoot the Chimera as long as we dispose of the dude outside.

Starbin
2013-04-14, 09:02 PM
Spoilsport!

:smalltongue:

Starbin
2013-04-15, 05:02 PM
Okay, waiting a bit for Caim to have the opportunity to respond to their attempt at parlay.

Then it's on like Donkey Kong!

Caimheul
2013-04-15, 11:38 PM
Well... Kora could always shoot THROUGH the staircase... :smallbiggrin:

A duel huh? And now I know why LeSwordfish was so keen on Wolfe having a chainsword... Which as far as he is concerned is a ceremonial ration opener :smallwink:.

Starbin
2013-04-15, 11:41 PM
Oh, don't ruin the surprise, Caim! :smallbiggrin:

Lycan 01
2013-04-15, 11:43 PM
Anyone who's read the first Gaunt's Ghosts novel knows that one doesn't have to use a chainsword properly in order to be effective. In fact, Wolfe may have a slight ace up his sleeve if he duels the Sarge. Fancy foppish noble-troopers are probably all about style and discipline with their swordplay, using special patterns and practiced swings. They probably fight and duel with other seasoned swordsmen in most cases, so they know how to recognize and guess what their opponent is gonna due, since they know all the same tricks.

A crazy frakkar who fights like an Ork? Yeah, he ain't gonna know what the hell is coming at him, so that makes Wolfe harder to predict and counter. He also may not expect Wolfe to fight dirty. :smallwink:

Caimheul
2013-04-15, 11:51 PM
Well... unfortunately all of that is encapsulated under "Weapons Skill" which has always been Wolfe's dump stat... Whereas if the noble is recommending a duel, that is likely a common occurrence on their home world. Breaking the code duelleo by say... shooting him during a sword duel or someone else interfering would put us back in this same situation, not to mention that I don't trust HIM not to cheat first/better. And I'll point out Commissar Ciaphas Cain as an example of an utterly skilled duelist effectively dealing with orks... and genestealers... and crazy frakkers with chain weapons by utilizing the various formalized forms and stances of chainsword fencing.

Lycan 01
2013-04-15, 11:54 PM
Well... unfortunately all of that is encapsulated under "Weapons Skill" which has always been Wolfe's dump stat... Whereas if the noble is recommending a duel, that is likely a common occurrence on their home world. Breaking the code duelleo by say... shooting him during a sword duel or someone else interfering would put us back in this same situation, not to mention that I don't trust HIM not to cheat first/better. And I'll point out Commissar Ciaphas Cain as an example of an utterly skilled duelist effectively dealing with orks... and genestealers... and crazy frakkers with chain weapons by utilizing the various formalized forms and stances of chainsword fencing.

Hey, Cain's the HERO OF THE IMPERIUM, not some fancy-shmancy Tallahan punk. :smalltongue:

Do we have solid projectile pistols? Maybe rather than a duel of blades, it should be a firearms duel. One or two bullets each, twenty paces, turn and fire. Settle the score the Andrew Jackson way. :smallcool:

Caimheul
2013-04-16, 12:06 AM
Only if Wolfe gets to use his helpistol, that -20 BS penalty due to not having SP training would go over about as well as the sword duel. I prefer to not concerning myself with running the risk of running out of ammunition easily and having a readily available way to resupply in the field (something I picked up from Dark Heresy...)

Oh btw LeSwordfish, don't forget the Hecutor's Pen was errataed to 0 :smalltongue:
It's a shame we won't be able to keep any gear they have on them *sigh*.

Edit: And Guant is chopped liver? :smallbiggrin:

RandomLunatic
2013-04-16, 12:18 AM
Wasn't Gaunt nearly killed not once but twice in the first book alone chainsword-dueling noble officers?

At any rate, this is really not a duel-worthy situation since, you know, this is not a matter of personal slights or honor but they are breaking the friggin' law.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-16, 03:15 AM
A pistol duel would likely be suitable. The "ten paces, turn and fire" archetype is sufficiently common on Mordia for Wolfe to be familiar with it.

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-16, 04:29 AM
Alternatively, we could threaten to keep killing them for Desertion if they don't surrender. I like that plan. No compromise, no respite, no matter what.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-16, 03:39 PM
RandomLunatic, did you post? I'm sure i remember you posting but there's nothing there. Ah, sorry, you beat my IC post.

Working up an OOC post now. Starbin, you've got maybe fifteen minutes.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-16, 04:03 PM
Kora 21
Doyle 20
Torin 18
Cronyn 17
Kaitlyn 16
Varuck 12
Wolfe 12

[roll0] to establish which of the two troopers with valentin was injured because i'm bad and didn't establish before.

Kora has been missed. I'm going with Half action take cover, half action aim at whichever enemy she wants to shoot next turn.

Doyle scans the chimera.

Montru flames the room. Valentin fails evasion but the staircase soaks the damage. One of the troopers with him is ignited, takes two damage and catches light, taking [roll1] extra damage, and fails his pinning test.

Cronyn does twelve damage to number [roll2] Tallahan on the stairs, putting him at a +1/+3 depending on who crit and slamming his carbine out of his hand. If he's the same one as ignited, #2, he also needs a toughness test [roll3] or [roll4] ws/bs damage.

Kaitlyn shoots whichever wasn't shot before: does nine damage, guy is at least at 0 wounds. Will work out next post.

Varuck puts Augustin at a +3 impact crit to the body. Stunned, knocked prone.

Wolfe takes cover.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-16, 04:13 PM
Montru flames the room. Valentin fails evasion but the staircase soaks the damage. *Cough* Spray weapons ignore any cover less than total.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-16, 04:19 PM
Valentin has got total cover though- he's got plenty of room to maneuver behind the staircase.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-16, 04:25 PM
Oh. I was under the impression he was at the edge, peeking around the corner.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-16, 04:32 PM
Tallahan's turn

Valentin remains in the same state. Leans out of cover and takes a shot at Wolfe. I'm using the standard Hand Cannon stats for now, save me poking about in different books.

[roll0] hit, [roll1] dodge, [roll2] damage. Hits, does nine(?) damage. Does Wolfe want to Fate Point that dodge? If so, i'll edit the IC.

Trooper by upper pillar moves to L18 and shoots Montru on semi-automatic [roll3] hit, [roll4] dodge, [roll5] [roll6] damage. Hits once, failed dodge, after soak Montru takes 1 damage.

Sniper by lower pillar does secret things in secret rolls box, and does them damn well- he vanishes into the shadows.

Trooper 1 of Valentin's associates is splattered by Cronyn and Kaitlyn. Takes enough damage to fry him.

Trooper 2 doesn't come off much better, with a total of nine damage, running around on fire.

Augustin is stunned. Well, you would be.

Secret rolls no PCs allowed
#1 [roll7] vs 70 vs [roll8]C [roll9]K
#2 [roll10] vs 70 vs [roll11] W [roll12] K [roll13] M
#3 [roll14] vs 70 vs [roll15] W [roll16] K [roll17] M

Caimheul
2013-04-16, 04:50 PM
From what I can recall is actually 1d10+3, Pen 0 (after errata), Reliable. Clip 15, Reload full. Will amend once I have access to my books (the table at the end of Inquisitor has the different ranged weapons from that book, and I know the errata removed the Pen from the Hecuter)

LeSwordfish
2013-04-16, 04:51 PM
Dodge from Valentin. [roll0] That would have cut this part of the campaign pretty short. The Penalty for firing unbraced is -30, but you still hit.

And as I said, i'm using the OW book's Hand Cannon stats.

Starbin
2013-04-16, 05:00 PM
Aw, dang it! I was hoping someone else would shoot him and he'd dodge that ... sigh ...

any chance he might not be aware of the attack? or get pinned?

LeSwordfish
2013-04-16, 05:07 PM
A lascannon's a pretty hard thing to miss. And no, it's not pinning.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-16, 05:14 PM
But the flamer was. I am pretty sure I managed to pin them all between the surprise and first round, so the only one of them able to do anything other than run for cover is Valentin.

Also, as a point of interest, Montru's soak is up to 8 now (4 armor, 4 TB).

Major Kiaslu
2013-04-16, 05:24 PM
Hey, Sword, if Kat moves to x20, would she have a bead of Valentin? (As in, the general area behind the staircase? I'm considering between that, which'd be a half action, and having her move to z20 as a full action, putting her in the hallway and hopefully in cover, but still with a possible LoS on Handsome Val here. ;)

LeSwordfish
2013-04-16, 05:31 PM
But the flamer was. I am pretty sure I managed to pin them all between the surprise and first round, so the only one of them able to do anything other than run for cover is Valentin.

Also, as a point of interest, Montru's soak is up to 8 now (4 armor, 4 TB).

I may be missing something, but I don't see where the flamer itself is inherently pinning. I can't see anything in either the Flame or Spray qualities that suggests that.

And yes, sorry on TB, you remain unharmed.

Hey, Sword, if Kat moves to x20, would she have a bead of Valentin? (As in, the general area behind the staircase? I'm considering between that, which'd be a half action, and having her move to z20 as a full action, putting her in the hallway and hopefully in cover, but still with a possible LoS on Handsome Val here. ;)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13673854/RPG/Armoured%20Fist/mission2/villamap_1.svg new map.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-16, 05:35 PM
You are right, the flamer does not inherently Pin. But I took the Hail Of Fire comrade advance, which makes everything I target test for pinning at +0 to the Willpower check. I asked for a ruling on AoE weaponry when used with the advance, and you said anything in the area counts as "targeted" and test for pinning. IIRC it was in the original recruitment thread somewhere. Probably should have saved a link. -.-

LeSwordfish
2013-04-16, 05:41 PM
Sounds like the sort of thing I'd say. I'll apply it, but not retroactively since everyone who could be affected is either dead or basically just jumped in front of a flamer and did nothing.

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-16, 05:53 PM
A ruling I really should have asked for by now, but oh well.

Is it fair to assume that Varuck's personal Lasgun is MIU-enabed, granting him the bonus on BS tests with it, or do I need to do something in particular to get access to MIU-enabled personal firearms?

Also, what sort of Action would it be to dismount from the top hatch of the Turret? Just get out from the turret to be standing on top of the Chimera's hull, that is, and then moving normally from there.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-16, 06:12 PM
I think the MIU-link is fair enough, but it counts as one of the weapon's four customisations, say.

As for climbing out of the Chimera, i'd treat it as 2m worth of movement, and you can move freely from then on.

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-16, 06:25 PM
I think the MIU-link is fair enough, but it counts as one of the weapon's four customisations, say.

As for climbing out of the Chimera, i'd treat it as 2m worth of movement, and you can move freely from then on.

I'm happy with both rulings. I only had three mods on my Lasgun to begin with, so that's no skin off my back, and the latter lets me do exactly what I want to do. Now if only I'd thought to have Varuck's Power Axe Readied while manning the guns instead of his Lasgun...

Caimheul
2013-04-16, 06:36 PM
Fate point re-roll of dodge [roll0]

I'm assuming the -20 to BS from running didn't help huh? :smalltongue: And can't blame me for trying to avoid the extra damage :smallbiggrin:

@RandomLunatic: Flame him now! He counts as having his head and arms out of cover due to shooting :smallbiggrin:

Edit: *Sigh* well... Wolfe had a good run. And this is why multiclassing to another support role is not the best idea in Only War. :smalltongue: Hopefully he can survive this round and start benefitting from the -30 wearing a Camo cloak endows. I'm thinking area of effect weapons are going to be the best option here...

RandomLunatic
2013-04-16, 10:31 PM
Do not tell me you are in critical damage already...

Out of curiosity, which door did the guy on fire run for?

LeSwordfish
2013-04-17, 01:24 AM
None in particular, he's running blindly: that's him the yellow cross in W23.

(As before, Yellow crosses indicate injured enemies.)

watupwithdat
2013-04-17, 11:44 AM
Edit: *Sigh* well... Wolfe had a good run. And this is why multiclassing to another support role is not the best idea in Only War. :smalltongue: Hopefully he can survive this round and start benefitting from the -30 wearing a Camo cloak endows. I'm thinking area of effect weapons are going to be the best option here...

I kinda doubt "multiclassing" did much to change the fact that people die like flies if hit with dangerous stuff. :smallwink:

LeSwordfish
2013-04-17, 11:47 AM
Which one of you was it complaining that Dark Heresy wasn't really all that hard?

Caimheul
2013-04-17, 12:41 PM
I kinda doubt "multiclassing" did much to change the fact that people die like flies if hit with dangerous stuff. :smallwink:

Eh, true. Was just blaming that occurrence on my ill-fortune. :smallsmile:
Note to self: Replacement character/next xp gets put towards Interaction skills.... :smalltongue:

Starbin
2013-04-17, 02:13 PM
Note to self: Replacement character/next xp gets put towards Interaction skills.... :smalltongue:

Who says that WS & BS aren't interaction skills? I've found I'm always shooting at someone ... :smallwink:

Major Kiaslu
2013-04-17, 02:19 PM
True dat. ;) Also, Kora focusing on Valentin makes me think of Space Marine, where the lascannon amounted to the game's sniper rifle. ;) The ultimate sniping weapon!

RandomLunatic
2013-04-17, 02:25 PM
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/93/208391272_af04dc379b_z.jpg?zz=1

Caimheul
2013-04-17, 02:53 PM
True dat. ;) Also, Kora focusing on Valentin makes me think of Space Marine, where the lascannon amounted to the game's sniper rifle. ;) The ultimate sniping weapon!

And the meltagun OBVIOUSLY isn't an anti-tank weapon, it's shotgun! :smallconfused: (seemingly random weapon roles aside, it is quite the enjoyable game for venting frustrations)

Major Kiaslu
2013-04-17, 03:01 PM
And the meltagun OBVIOUSLY isn't an anti-tank weapon, it's shotgun! :smallconfused: (seemingly random weapon roles aside, it is quite the enjoyable game for venting frustrations)

:smallwink: Oh yes. I'll praise it to the rafters... except for the second half of the final mission. And that final boss....

*sigh* The first part of that last level, with the multiple pieces of land, made me think it was going to be an awesome finale. The final boss fight made me suspect the devs cut stuff outta the end.

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-17, 03:02 PM

Perhaps it is an anti-tank weapon (as well as a shotgun); how would we know? You don't fight any tanks in Space Marine! :smalltongue: Same goes for the Lascannon; if you have no vehicles to kill, you might as well repurpose it as a precision weapon, I suppose.

Not much justification for the Autocannon doing more damage than a Plasma Gun and firing faster than a Heavy Bolter, though...

Caimheul
2013-04-17, 03:18 PM
:smallwink: Oh yes. I'll praise it to the rafters... except for the second half of the final mission. And that final boss....

*sigh* The first part of that last level, with the multiple pieces of land, made me think it was going to be an awesome finale. The final boss fight made me suspect the devs cut stuff outta the end.

Well, considering the wonderful financial state THQ ended up in, I wouldn't be surprised if they had gone overbudget and had to cut the first half of the boss fight, leaving only the finale of the fight...

And now Sega owns Relic... We shall see what games result from that acquisition... (I am hoping for the best though)

Perhaps it is an anti-tank weapon (as well as a shotgun); how would we know? You don't fight any tanks in Space Marine! :smalltongue: Same goes for the Lascannon; if you have no vehicles to kill, you might as well repurpose it as a precision weapon, I suppose.
[snip]

True on the first part, and that WOULD explain why it is more effective at half range.... but then makes the Ciaphus Cain version of the melta gun non-cannon as it is described as a solid beam of heat.... And seeing as Kora is doing the same with her lascannon, seems legit.

Major Kiaslu
2013-04-17, 03:51 PM
Well, considering the wonderful financial state THQ ended up in, I wouldn't be surprised if they had gone overbudget and had to cut the first half of the boss fight, leaving only the finale of the fight...

And now Sega owns Relic... We shall see what games result from that acquisition... (I am hoping for the best though)

Same here, undoubtedly. :) Can you say 40K Total War at all? ;) Hell, even a legit RPG wouldn't be too bad at this point.

As to Space Marine, eh... I think what got me was that I'd played the last sequence in one sitting, so it hadn't been that long since the Warboss fight, which'd... actually been a lot of fun. :) Challenging, but fair, and the finish felt rewarding.

The actual finale? Spam Heralds, and Havoks/Psykers. :P Then QTE. I'd actually lean towards the whole thing being last minute, they did nothing inventive there. (Hells, the level where you fire the scourge was way creepier.)

Speaking of which.... Space Marines firing a device with a lens shaped like an eight pointed star. ;) They really shoulda looked more closely there.

Starbin
2013-04-17, 04:02 PM
Speaking of which.... Space Marines firing a device with a lens shaped like an eight pointed star. ;) They really shoulda looked more closely there.

Or maybe that was the point ... and the set up for Space Marines 2: Fall from Faith.

Major Kiaslu
2013-04-17, 04:18 PM
Err.... No, they wrap that up in the game. ;) I'm just saying... they seem very surprised that the Warp Energy powered device, that the mysterious Inquisitor asked them to activate, turned out to be a tool of chaos. :smallwink:

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-17, 04:22 PM
Err.... No, they wrap that up in the game. ;) I'm just saying... they seem very surprised that the Warp Energy powered device, that the mysterious Inquisitor asked them to activate, turned out to be a tool of chaos. :smallwink:

Well, to be fair, they're stupid Ultramarines and it was an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor and they were dealing with an Ork invasion of a strategically critical Forge World which they had nothing approximating the resources to stop otherwise. They might have been a little bit too trusting, but it's still not that much of a leap to trust the Ordo Xenos Inquisitor when he tells you that be's been working on a Xenos-killing superweapon and he thinks he can probably use it to kill a whole bunch of Orks. I mean, that's basically what Ordo Xenos Inquisitors do.

Caimheul
2013-04-17, 04:22 PM
Same here, undoubtedly. :) Can you say 40K Total War at all? ;) Hell, even a legit RPG wouldn't be too bad at this point.

As to Space Marine, eh... I think what got me was that I'd played the last sequence in one sitting, so it hadn't been that long since the Warboss fight, which'd... actually been a lot of fun. :) Challenging, but fair, and the finish felt rewarding.

The actual finale? Spam Heralds, and Havoks/Psykers. :P Then QTE. I'd actually lean towards the whole thing being last minute, they did nothing inventive there. (Hells, the level where you fire the scourge was way creepier.)

Depends on how they attempt it. Another company known for making turn based board video games called Slitherine apparently recently obtained a GW license for a turn based strategy game... No idea if Relic took the license with them or not and this is a new one, or what exactly is going on. :smallconfused:

Ugh.... Took me awhile to figure out my trick for finishing the final two waves (Melta all the way! BURN HERETICS, BURN UNTIL NOTHING REMAINS! *Ahem*), I was then expecting a epic boss fight, putting all my skills to the test... NOPE! Finished final boss in one go... :smallannoyed:.

And which weapon is that? Can't say I noticed it...

Lycan 01
2013-04-17, 04:30 PM
Which one of you was it complaining that Dark Heresy wasn't really all that hard?

A lunatic? :smalltongue:

I've been pretty lucky with DH myself. I've never lost a character, though I've seen others die.

I could really go for a decent DH game right now, actually... :smallsigh:

Caimheul
2013-04-17, 04:39 PM
Well, to be fair, they're stupid Ultramarines and it was an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor and they were dealing with an Ork invasion of a strategically critical Forge World which they had nothing approximating the resources to stop otherwise. They might have been a little bit too trusting, but it's still not that much of a leap to trust the Ordo Xenos Inquisitor when he tells you that be's been working on a Xenos-killing superweapon and he thinks he can probably use it to kill a whole bunch of Orks. I mean, that's basically what Ordo Xenos Inquisitors do.
In all fairness, it did kill a large number of orks... and would probably have worked on any other Xenos Race... And besides spend long enough surrounded by super humans and you stop being able to identify an average person's mortal wound.

Major Kiaslu
2013-04-17, 04:40 PM
Ugh.... Took me awhile to figure out my trick for finishing the final two waves (Melta all the way! BURN HERETICS, BURN UNTIL NOTHING REMAINS! *Ahem*), I was then expecting a epic boss fight, putting all my skills to the test... NOPE! Finished final boss in one go...

:) I actually had more problems on the first waves. Last two, I just abused cover like a Guardsman, melee'd the Heralds out of LoS of the ranged guys, before sniping them one by one.

But yeah... wouldn't it be fun if you got an actual fight with him? :P As opposed to a fight done cooler in at least two Lego games? :P (Lego Batman 2, and Lego Lord of the Rings, for the record. ;) )

And which weapon is that? Can't say I noticed it...

Look at the focal disk thing on the Psychic Scourge before you fire it. ;) Eight pointed star. with the middle removed, but the points are visible on the exterior.

True, true, but still... the fact that he's A-Ok with you getting exposed to warp energy should've probably been a bit of a tip off. Even for Ultras. ;)

Caimheul
2013-04-17, 04:44 PM
Oh, I thought you meant the scope for one of the firearms! I'll pay attention to that when I go through on easy-mode for achievements next time I have stress to relieve. And the Lego games are awesome, so it's fair they'd do a quicktime fight better :smallwink:. Now I'm looking forward to getting further in Lego Lord of the Rings...

Edit: What about an Inquisitor says they're all that worried about even Space Marines surviving? Considering the non-radical/loyal ones are perfectly willing to destroy a loyal chapter's main recruiting sector thus dooming the chapter to a slow death...

Major Kiaslu
2013-04-17, 04:53 PM
Oh, I thought you meant the scope for one of the firearms! I'll pay attention to that when I go through on easy-mode for achievements next time I have stress to relieve. And the Lego games are awesome, so it's fair they'd do a quicktime fight better :smallwink:. Now I'm looking forward to getting further in Lego Lord of the Rings...

Be careful on the Dead Marshes! :P I got this really annoying Treasure Bug there, but I don't know what causes it. (That dumb bug is all that kept me from 100%)

Edit: What about an Inquisitor says they're all that worried about even Space Marines surviving? Considering the non-radical/loyal ones are perfectly willing to destroy a loyal chapter's main recruiting sector thus dooming the chapter to a slow death...

*nods* MY main thought is that he doesn't purge you, or even remark on it. Just 'oh, you got exposed to warp energy? Excellent!'. :)

Caimheul
2013-04-17, 04:56 PM
Be careful on the Dead Marshes! :P I got this really annoying Treasure Bug there, but I don't know what causes it. (That dumb bug is all that kept me from 100%)

*nods* MY main thought is that he doesn't purge you, or even remark on it. Just 'oh, you got exposed to warp energy? Excellent!'. :)

Good to know! is it worse than Mustafar? *shudder*

He's Ordo Xenos what does he care about warp energy? Now if you'd given a genestealer a hug...

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-17, 04:58 PM
In all fairness, it did kill a large number of orks... and would probably have worked on any other Xenos Race... And besides spend long enough surrounded by super humans and you stop being able to identify an average person's mortal wound.

He had a good explanation for that, too. He basically said outright "The only reason I'm still alive at all is that I'm using every ounce of psychic power I've got to keep the wound from killing me.", which is not only perfectly reasonable for a Biomancer in-universe but also something that a Space Marine would just kind of have to take on faith unless they're a Librarian.

Really, the Inquisitor-based ruse in the game was one of the more reasonable in the 40k video games. Certainly better than the ham-fisted equivalent in Dawn of War 2. If I hadn't known in advance that Chaos Marines were going to show up at some point I probably would have been legitimately surprised.

Major Kiaslu
2013-04-17, 05:00 PM
It doesn't register your treasures because there are four, rather than three in the stage, and thus I can't get the mythril brick for all treasures in a stage... and thus can't get all mythril bricks overall, and can't buy all the items. *sigh*

Might just be a PC thing, I've seen something about it being fixed on consoles.:) And even a Xenos inquisitor should probably give at least a BIT of a damn about the forces of Chaos, unless they're an active Xanathite. And if you were.... would you be that open about it? ;)

Caimheul
2013-04-17, 05:09 PM
It doesn't register your treasures because there are four, rather than three in the stage, and thus I can't get the mythril brick for all treasures in a stage... and thus can't get all mythril bricks overall, and can't buy all the items. *sigh*

Might just be a PC thing, I've seen something about it being fixed on consoles.:) And even a Xenos inquisitor should probably give at least a BIT of a damn about the forces of Chaos, unless they're an active Xanathite. And if you were.... would you be that open about it? ;)

That sucks. As long as the level itself is not as rage inducing in my fiancee as Mustafar was, should still be fine.

And you can always kill the warp tainted Space Marine AFTER the ork threat is dealt with. I know it's not really the =]|[='s way, but better one Space Marine gets mildly exposed and then killed than lots of people get ever so slightly exposed, and then immediately shot. At least when cut off from reinforcements.

He had a good explanation for that, too. He basically said outright "The only reason I'm still alive at all is that I'm using every ounce of psychic power I've got to keep the wound from killing me.", which is not only perfectly reasonable for a Biomancer in-universe but also something that a Space Marine would just kind of have to take on faith unless they're a Librarian.

Really, the Inquisitor-based ruse in the game was one of the more reasonable in the 40k video games. Certainly better than the ham-fisted equivalent in Dawn of War 2. If I hadn't known in advance that Chaos Marines were going to show up at some point I probably would have been legitimately surprised.

Touche on the first part. And except for my genestealer induced suspicion of finding anyone alive who really should be dead in the 40k universe I probably would have been more surprised. As it was, I think they did an excellent job of justifying Chaos's presence on the planet.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-17, 07:41 PM
I haven't played much Space Marine, but I could talk until the cows come home about my idea for 40K total war, or Gaunts Ghosts meets BF3 (Seriously, tell me Necropolis isn't set up as the perfect video game).

I'm worried about 40K total war, because to make a proper Space: Total War game you'd need to have most things spaceship-based, like GalCiv or something. And 40K's ships are cool but they aren't marketable like a space marine.

I'm glad Dark Millenium Online died though. No way would that have been good.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-17, 07:45 PM
Geez, and I am stuck getting my 40K videogame fix from my old copy of Chaos Gate.

Which is not to say it is not still awesome, because it is, and it has a killer soundtrack too.:smallsmile:

Starbin
2013-04-17, 07:49 PM
Geez, and I am stuck getting my 40K videogame fix from my old copy of Chaos Gate.

Which is not to say it is not still awesome, because it is, and it has a killer soundtrack too.:smallsmile:

That game rocked!

Lycan 01
2013-04-17, 07:58 PM
Never heard of it. :smallconfused:

Hm. All this talk of Space Marine and other 40K stuff is really making me wanna play another 40k pbp. Would anybody else perchance up for a small DH or Deathwatch game, perhaps?

LeSwordfish
2013-04-17, 08:01 PM
If a Dark Heresy game is going, i'd be interested in joining it.

Caimheul
2013-04-17, 08:36 PM
I'd be interested in Deathwatch.

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-17, 11:16 PM
Given the way my schedule looks right now, I'd only sign up for Black Crusade. Which I really doubt is on the table...

I really need to get around to actually posting IC one of these days.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-18, 07:44 AM
Sorry for dropping in before Cronyn's turn, but I'm on a social tonight and I've got a fairly full day tomorrow so if I don't update now it won't be until Saturday.

Kora 21
Doyle 20
Torin 18
Cronyn 17
Kaitlyn 16
Varuck 12
Wolfe 12

Kora makes another Lascannon shot, Valentin attempts a dodge, [roll0]

Doyle scans the area.

Torin flamethrowers Valentin and the foolhardy trooper who charged in. Valentin fails his agility, takes 4 damage, on a +3 energy crit, only a half action next turn, [roll1] fatigue. Escapes being set on fire, but fails his pinning test. Other guy takes five damage, is otherwise in same boat.

Cronyn missed, full action aim.

Kaitlyn moves.

Varuck moves.

Wolfe takes cover from Valentin.

Caimheul
2013-04-18, 07:55 AM
Well, looks like the sergeant threw himself in front of that lascannon shot... He must have felt bad for knocking Wolfe down to one wound :smalltongue:

LeSwordfish
2013-04-18, 08:06 AM
Valentin flubs his dodge comprehensively, and is reduced to ash. I hope you won't mind me exaggerating his capabilities in-game for dramatic purposes. He was, when I planned this mission, a major NPC, he deserves that at least.

L18 trooper retreats to cover, ducking back around the column.

The girl trooper on fire takes [roll0] damage and [roll1] tries to extinguish himself. Fails.

Two troopers in the rafters open up. That's what those secret rolls were. These troopers are partially in cover and wearing Camo-cloaks, and as such all BS tests to hit them are at -20, and they have 6 points of cover to body and legs from the rafters.

One takes a half action aim at Montru and fires a single carbine shot. [roll2] to hit, [roll3] wound, [roll4] dodge. Misses.

The other braces his missile launcher and fires a frag missile at Kora. [roll5] to hit, Hits. [roll6] Kora's dodge, [roll7] Cronyn's dodge, [roll8] damage, pen 2.

Does the missile damage the floor? [roll9]- no

Unless Kora or Cronyn want to fate point those dodges, they're looking at approximately 13 damage to Kora, and one Damage to Cronyn, thanks to the pillar's cover, depending on toughness Bonuses.

Secret rolls
[roll10] S, [roll11] W, [roll12] k, [roll13] m
[roll14] t1, [roll15] W, [roll16] k, [roll17] m
[roll18] t2 [roll19] W, [roll20] k, [roll21] m

Map later, I'm on an iPad. Aside from the trooper fleeing from Montru, none of the Tallahan that you can see have moved.

If Cronyn wants to make a turns actions, he can do so, remembering that he couldn't see the two in the rafters, but he could see the trooper in L18.

Starbin
2013-04-18, 10:08 AM
So, imperial flak armour ... that's 4? If so, I guess I'm down to 1 wound ...

That sucks!

LeSwordfish
2013-04-18, 10:17 AM
Five, sorry, because you get a +1 vs shrapnel.

Caimheul
2013-04-18, 10:17 AM
So, imperial flak armour ... that's 4? If so, I guess I'm down to 1 wound ...

That sucks!

Welcome to the "reduced to one wound in one blow" club! Your membership has been revoked. :smallwink:

Edit: And HOW many wounds did you reduce Lord Stick-Up-His-Bum to?

RandomLunatic
2013-04-18, 11:16 AM
Welcome to the "reduced to one wound in one blow" club! Your membership has been revoked. :smallwink:

Edit: And HOW many wounds did you reduce Lord Stick-Up-His-Bum to?

I would say somewhere around "fine red mist".:smallwink:

How high is the ceiling, and the beam the missile team is on? My current plan is to put a frag grenade in the ceiling above their heads and give them a dose of their own medicine.

Does Quick Draw let you holster/otherwise put away weapons for free too? The relevant text is "you can draw and ready basic, pistol, and one-handed weapons" for free, and the Ready weapon action is what you use to put stuff away.

Finally, would the modifiers from my Lasgun's Custom Grip customization apply to shots made with the auxiliary grenade launcher? It has its own trigger, but possibly not its own grip, and you are still going to be absorbing the recoil from the thing with the host weapon's stock.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-18, 11:38 AM
I would say each floor is approximately 5m high, with the beams for the missile team a little higher. Call it 13m to the ceiling, giving you, at a pythagorean estimate, a range of 16m, give or take.

Yes, quick draw counts for holstering (It's the Ready action it affects, is my reading, not strictly drawing the weapon) and yes, the stock modification applies.

(Oh, and Valentin was at one wound, meaning he took 34 and ended up at a 33 crit. That's, I think, more damage than you as a team have taken in total.)

RandomLunatic
2013-04-18, 01:19 PM
Oh dear...

1d10

RandomLunatic
2013-04-18, 01:20 PM
I have no idea why that refused to parse or why it is complaining about the database count.

So try again.

[roll0]

So I did not blow my self up! Though with the damage I rolled, it would not have mattered.

Caimheul
2013-04-18, 01:46 PM
I have no idea why that refused to parse or why it is complaining about the database count.

So try again.

[roll0]

So I did not blow my self up! Though with the damage I rolled, it would not have mattered.

So blowing up your hard earned Underslung grenade launcher and your lasgun in the middle of a firefight wouldn't have mattered? Interesting.... :smalltongue:

RandomLunatic
2013-04-18, 01:58 PM
I only rolled an 8 for damage, which would have then been halved. Which I doubt would be enough to even scratch the paint...:smalltongue:

watupwithdat
2013-04-18, 02:13 PM
Sorry for dropping in before Cronyn's turn

No worries. Just shooting stuff anyway, nothing too important. ^^

Unless Kora or Cronyn want to fate point those dodges, they're looking at approximately 13 damage to Kora, and one Damage to Cronyn, thanks to the pillar's cover, depending on toughness Bonuses.

Not dodging, as he's busy aiming at things.

If Cronyn wants to make a turns actions, he can do so, remembering that he couldn't see the two in the rafters, but he could see the trooper in L18.
Wrote an IC post shooting at that guy.

Lycan 01
2013-04-18, 02:19 PM
Yay, I finally got some good rolls! Doyle's actually contributing! :smallbiggrin:

If a Dark Heresy game is going, i'd be interested in joining it.

I'd be interested in Deathwatch.

Hmm. What if I ran a Deathwatch game, and allowed for a Dark Heresy PC or two, representing Inquisitorial interests and helping to handle the non-shooty stuff?

Major Kiaslu
2013-04-18, 02:26 PM
I'd be down for that! :) From either side, really: a part of me really wants to play an Interrogator to a PC Inquisitor, play with that relationship a bit... but I could certainly take a stab at a member of the Astartes.

*looks at current combat* How do you feel about Devastators? :smallwink:

Caimheul
2013-04-18, 02:30 PM
I'm in. I have a couple of apothecary concepts I've wanted to try. Depending on if someone is interested in playing as a Tactical marine, I've managed to whip up a decent Apothecary Leader....

Wait a second.... Looks at current game :smalleek:

Or perhaps an Iron Hands _________ marine...

Or maybe the Raptors Chapter....

RandomLunatic
2013-04-18, 02:46 PM
I have neither game, and a bunch of stuff on my hands IRL.:smallfrown:

LeSwordfish
2013-04-18, 07:57 PM
Hmm. What if I ran a Deathwatch game, and allowed for a Dark Heresy PC or two, representing Inquisitorial interests and helping to handle the non-shooty stuff?

Sounds pretty fun to me, although I'd be happy to try out straight deathwatch.

Lycan 01
2013-04-18, 10:37 PM
I'm afraid I've only got the core rulebook for Deathwatch, and the Core+Inq Handbook for Dark Heresy. So if I did run a game, y'all would be limited to those, I'm afraid. It could either be pure DW, or we could tack on a high XP DH character fluffed as an "Interrogator" or something.

I could run a slightly tweaked version of the scenario in the core rulebook, perhaps. It's pretty simple and straightforward, though there's plenty of room for me to work in extra side-stuff if y'all want to take some time to smell the roses purge the unclean.

Hopefully y'all would do better than the last team I ran it for. The whole squad made the tactical error of being boxed in by 5 Warriors. Several players just stopped posting, which is probably for the best; a TPK was nigh unavoidable at that point. :smallsigh:

LeSwordfish
2013-04-19, 02:29 AM
Either original or adulterated Deathwatch sounds fine.

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-19, 02:54 AM
Must... Resist... Temptation to play Deathwatch...

watupwithdat
2013-04-19, 09:15 AM
I'd been rather uninterested in playing DW since BC came out (I find it vastely superior when it comes to both RP opportunities and the combat system), but a couple of weeks ago I made a Wolf Priest for a game. Didn't get in, but I found the character damn interesting and cool.

... That'd need well into Rank 4 or a houserule to allow advanced specialities to be bought for xp at an earlier rank, though. I'm guessing all of you would want to start from Rank 1. :smalltongue: I can't help I'm a sucker for characters with a bit more meat on their legs. ^^

Caimheul
2013-04-19, 10:30 AM
I'm afraid I've only got the core rulebook for Deathwatch, and the Core+Inq Handbook for Dark Heresy. So if I did run a game, y'all would be limited to those, I'm afraid.
[SNIP]

While the core doesn't contain any of my preferred Chapters of origin, somehow I'm sure I'll survive. *shrug*

[SNIP]
... That'd need well into Rank 4 or a houserule to allow advanced specialities to be bought for xp at an earlier rank, though. I'm guessing all of you would want to start from Rank 1. :smalltongue: I can't help I'm a sucker for characters with a bit more meat on their legs. ^^

I don't care either way honestly. Rank 1 is just a tad quicker for me to build from scratch.

Starbin
2013-04-19, 11:10 AM
How much experience is Rnk 14 in Inquisitor, vice a Rnk 1 DW? Just curious ... :smallbiggrin:

Major Kiaslu
2013-04-19, 11:15 AM
IIRC, A rank 1 DW character is equal to a rank 9 Dark Heresy character, if we go by the Ascension rules (which Lycan doesn't have, but still... we're talking advanced ranks here) ;) So a rank 14 Inquisitor would be a rank 6 Deathwatch character.

watupwithdat
2013-04-19, 01:42 PM
Not to mention Ascension is severely broken and no one should be playing using it. :smalltongue:

Starbin
2013-04-19, 05:13 PM
Hmmm ... sorry I've been delayed (busy at work).

I guess I might as well use the fate point (although only have a single fate point makes you a little more worried!).

dodge: [roll0] vs TN 44

WOOT!

Lycan 01
2013-04-19, 05:28 PM
I would prefer to have the game start at Rank 1, yes. Y'know, to keep things simple and straight forward, and make char-gen easier for everyone. Plus, isn't a Wolf Priest a Space Wolf version of a Chaplain? I don't have the book(s) for that, I'm afraid... :smallconfused:

I'm thinking Rank 1, standard starting XP (1000) and Renown (0). Stat-gen is either point buy or random roll.

Point Buy - 100 points, all stats start at 30, no more than 20 points per stat.

Roll - 2d10 nine times, you can arrange them however you want. You get one reroll, which can be used for a stat roll, Wounds, or Fate.

Team Leader will be decided by the players OOC, during char-gen so nobody builds a PC for a leader-role and then doesn't get it. :smalltongue:

I'll figure out the Requisition Points for the mission once I figure out what exactly I'll be throwing at y'all. Requisition can be pooled, and the Kill Team is allowed to request one item for the unit that is over their Renown level. IE: Decide as a group to pick a single Respected-level item for a certain member or the squad as a whole to use.

At the moment, I'm not going to worry about the DH-Ascension XP stuff, since it seems everyone is leaning pure-Astartes. If somebody wants to play a DH character, though, just let me know, and we'll work something out.

Should I make a private Recruitment thread for everyone to do char-gen in, or just skip to making an OOC thread? :smallconfused:

Caimheul
2013-04-19, 05:50 PM
Leader actually can change each mission, and since the bonuses vary, is something to consider doing depending on the bonus most fitting for the assignment. Wolf Priest is a combination Chaplain and Apothecary, so at Rank 1 could just be a Space Wolf Apothecary fluffed out to be early in his training for priesthood (A Wolf Deacon perhaps? :smalltongue:).

Not sure which way to go with the threads. A "Recruitment" thread would keep the OOC free from Character creation clutter though.

I'll figure out exactly what I'm playing once everyone else has settled a bit more on roles.

Starbin
2013-04-19, 06:04 PM
I say we play a pair of silent, morose characters who don't have a single social skill between the two of them! And they try to out UNspeak each other regularly!

Oh wait, we already did that ...

:smallbiggrin:

You can start an OOC thread for the game on your own, right? Then throw an IC up later. I tried an assault marine before, so this time I think I'll lean towards a shooty one ... pending rolls, of course :smalltongue:

Caimheul
2013-04-19, 06:06 PM
I say we play a pair of silent, morose characters who don't have a single social skill between the two of them! And they try to out UNspeak each other regularly!

You can start an OOC thread for the game on your own, right? Then throw an IC up later. I tried an assault marine before, so this time I think I'll lean towards a shooty one ... pending rolls, of course :smalltongue:

Well, then I might go assault, just to keep the band together :smalltongue:

Edit: And you mean to tell me Interrogate ISN'T a social skill?!

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-19, 06:21 PM
Hrnng...

I will strongly consider joining this Deathwatch game, for Deathwatch is fun and easy to play and I might just have time for it. If I do join, it shall be as a Black Templar, for they are my favorite Loyalist Chapter. Either Assault Marine or Techmarine, whichever the group needs more, since both are awesome and Tactical Marines smell bad (:smalltongue:).

Since there hasn't been a new map for this round just yet; from where Varuck is right now, are there any enemies that he can see and shoot?

Lycan 01
2013-04-19, 07:04 PM
Leader actually can change each mission, and since the bonuses vary, is something to consider doing depending on the bonus most fitting for the assignment. Wolf Priest is a combination Chaplain and Apothecary, so at Rank 1 could just be a Space Wolf Apothecary fluffed out to be early in his training for priesthood (A Wolf Deacon perhaps? :smalltongue:).

Not sure which way to go with the threads. A "Recruitment" thread would keep the OOC free from Character creation clutter though.

I'll figure out exactly what I'm playing once everyone else has settled a bit more on roles.

Ah, good point 'bout the Leader thing. Eh, we can figure it out once char-gen is underway.

As for the "Wolf Deacon," maybe. Still a little odd to see a Space Wolfy running around with a Narthecium and whatnot, but eh, we'll see how things go. :smalltongue:

"Taciturn" is a Demeanor. :smalltongue:

Hrnng...

I will strongly consider joining this Deathwatch game, for Deathwatch is fun and easy to play and I might just have time for it. If I do join, it shall be as a Black Templar, for they are my favorite Loyalist Chapter. Either Assault Marine or Techmarine, whichever the group needs more, since both are awesome and Tactical Marines smell bad (:smalltongue:).

Since there hasn't been a new map for this round just yet; from where Varuck is right now, are there any enemies that he can see and shoot?

Black Templar Techmarine? Man, you can't get much more unfeeling and overzealous than that. :smalltongue:

Alright, a few questions for y'all, and then I'll stop cluttering up Sword's OOC thread. :smallwink:

-Shall I make a Recruitment thread to avoid cluttering up an OOC with char-gen, or just make an OOC thread to avoid redundant threads and getting outside attention?

-Do we want to use the Errata weapons (more streamlined, but slightly less potential damage) or just stick with the standard in-book damage stats?

-Decide on the Leader OOC during char-gen, or decide on the Leader when the mission starts?

Caimheul
2013-04-19, 07:27 PM
Ah, good point 'bout the Leader thing. Eh, we can figure it out once char-gen is underway.

As for the "Wolf Deacon," maybe. Still a little odd to see a Space Wolfy running around with a Narthecium and whatnot, but eh, we'll see how things go. :smalltongue:

Hey, as far as the Narthecium goes: just fluff it out as a parcel of herbs, salves, and potions. Same in game effect without losing the Wolf Priest vibe. Then replace the Reductor with Fang of Morkai, again no effect to the rules, just the fluff descriptions.

-Shall I make a Recruitment thread to avoid cluttering up an OOC with char-gen, or just make an OOC thread to avoid redundant threads and getting outside attention?

-Do we want to use the Errata weapons (more streamlined, but slightly less potential damage) or just stick with the standard in-book damage stats?

-Decide on the Leader OOC during char-gen, or decide on the Leader when the mission starts?

Well, we could always make "Space Reserved" posts in the OOC prior to any rolling and whatnot, and then put our Character sheets there. Avoids outside interest while still making our character sheets easy to find.

I prefer the Errata weapons. I view it as making the weapons more consistent.

Hmmmm... Not sure. I'm open to either option.

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-19, 07:55 PM
Black Templar Techmarine? Man, you can't get much more unfeeling and overzealous than that. :smalltongue:

Sure you can. Brother Mikelus is actually pretty open-minded to divergent worldviews than most Templars because of his time on Mars among the Techpriests, as well as a campaign fighting alongside the Ultramarines in the campaign against Tyranid Splinter Fleets. A totally overzealous Templar wouldn't volunteer for Deathwatch duties in the first place, you know, just on the off-chance they wound up having to work with a Librarian.

Alright, a few questions for y'all, and then I'll stop cluttering up Sword's OOC thread. :smallwink:

Start with an OOC thread, then we can open recruitment if we need to fill in extra slots. No point starting with a recruitment thread if we don't intend to actually recruit anyone.

Errata weapons, for being just better balanced as a whole. As amusing as un-Errata'd Boltguns are, I do appreciate other weapons having some sort of purpose outside of dedicated anti-tank.

I say select leaders on a mission-by-mission basis. Obviously, if someone wants to bring in a super-Command-focused Ultramarine Tac Marine as a squad leader they'll probably wind up leading the Kill Team pretty much all the time (so... much... Cohesion...), but otherwise it always seems best to choose leaders based on the mission. Going to a refinery overrun with Nids to overload its reactors and detonate the whole place to wipe out the Nid infestation? Techmarine should lead, he's got the most expertise. Precision strike on a Hive Node to gather gene-samples for use in a tailored bio-weapon ala Dawn of War 2? Apothecary leads. High-pace assault mission focused on rapid decapitating strikes against Ork Warbosses? Give that to the Assault Marine.

watupwithdat
2013-04-19, 10:51 PM
Spoilered DW stuff not to cludder up the thread more.

I would prefer to have the game start at Rank 1, yes. Y'know, to keep things simple and straight forward, and make char-gen easier for everyone. Plus, isn't a Wolf Priest a Space Wolf version of a Chaplain? I don't have the book(s) for that, I'm afraid... :smallconfused:

More xp just means you got more xp to spend on buying advances, pretty straight forward. :smallwink: And much more fun to boot! :smalltongue:

As mentioned, Wolf Priest doubles as a Chaplain and Apothecary in the Space Wolf chapter.

Besides, you don't really need the book as the ones with them can just tell you what the specific mechanics are. :smallsmile: It's a little table with advances, some standard issue wargear and a new oath and special ability. Easy enough to screenshot/copy&paste if really needed.

so at Rank 1 could just be a Space Wolf Apothecary fluffed out to be early in his training for priesthood (A Wolf Deacon perhaps? :smalltongue:).

A
Wouldn't really work though seeing as how Space Wolves can't be Apothecaries. ^^ As far as I know they learn the Apothecary part of the job when they become Wolf Priests.

Caimheul
2013-04-19, 11:08 PM
DW:

Wouldn't really work though seeing as how Space Wolves can't be Apothecaries. ^^ As far as I know they learn the Apothecary part of the job when they become Wolf Priests.

*facepalm* right, specialization restrictions.... well, could house rule it... Or just run a character with Medicae trained as an elite advance instead.

Lycan 01
2013-04-19, 11:12 PM
DW:

*facepalm* right, specialization restrictions.... well, could house rule it... Or just run a character with Medicae trained as an elite advance instead.

DW:

Could work. Maybe a Tac Marine who's trying to prove himself worthy of being selected for the path of Wolf Priest, maybe?

Or if you want another fancy Space Wolf archetype, maybe you could run a Librarian and fluff him as a Rune Priest?

I'll toss the OOC up in a bit. Everyone can either reserve their first post for char-sheets and stuff, or I'll copy/link sheets in the OP.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-20, 04:25 AM

I don't think so, no, but then i never rolled perception tests for him against the stealthed troopers.

Forgot i didn't make a map, but everyone's invisible/dead/moved two squares so you can probably do without, right?

Secret rolls
[roll0][roll1][roll2]

Varuck can't see anyone.

Deathwatch

I'd suggest skipping straight to OOC, just reserve the first posts. How many players do we have? Even if we're inviting people, we can just point them at the OOC.

Don't mind.

When the mission starts, but i guess there's nothing to stop people from building characters aiming for the leader spot.

I'd also like to vote for a boost in XP, (Which doesn't complicate things that much- it's the player's job to remember it all).

watupwithdat
2013-04-20, 02:01 PM
In case it applies, here's Cronyn's trained Awareness test to counter whoever's Stealth test: [roll0] vs 33

Deathwatch:

Deathwatch

I'd also like to vote for a boost in XP, (Which doesn't complicate things that much- it's the player's job to remember it all).

Not to mention that we're all fairly experienced character builders right? :smallbiggrin:

LeSwordfish
2013-04-20, 02:15 PM
I'm rolling Awareness tests in the spoilers and they are getting failed, don't worry.

Caimheul
2013-04-20, 02:24 PM
I'm rolling Awareness tests in the spoilers and they are getting failed, don't worry.

Yup, no need for us to fail them ourselves :smalltongue:.

watupwithdat
2013-04-20, 02:39 PM

Ah, good to know!

LeSwordfish
2013-04-20, 04:13 PM
Will update after dinner and Dr Who. Daedalus, anything special for Varuck or just more moving forward?

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-20, 04:56 PM
Will update after dinner and Dr Who. Daedalus, anything special for Varuck or just more moving forward?

Just a tactical advance into the room. I'll put up an IC soon, though it won't be terribly involved.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-20, 05:21 PM
Doyle scans, and does so pretty well. Basement has one contact in, man-size, bottom of the stairs.

Wolfe heals, and does so pretty well. DOS in OW are calculated from one, not zero, so 0-9 is one, 10-19 is two, etc etc.

Kaitlyn shoots- five damage to the rocketeer.

Montru jams his launcher.

Cronyn hits the last visible Tallahan, kills him with 22 damage.

Kora turns the heavy into dirt. I think you only have to brace once though.

Varuck does something i'll add in later.

Other Tallahan surrender. Congratulations, this particular combat is over: you can leave combat time if you wish.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-20, 05:36 PM
You can only traverse a braced weapon through 45 degrees in any one direction. Even if you cheat on fixing the center point of the arc, I do not see any way both Valentin and the missile launcher will be within a 90 degrees of each other.

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-20, 05:37 PM
Oh. Well, in that case, I'll scrap what I was posting and wait for your IC post. Turns out that Varuck's cautious advance into the room wouldn't have made a difference regardless.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-20, 05:38 PM
Kora re-braced however, so could move her arc.

Lycan 01
2013-04-20, 06:20 PM
Deathwatch OOC thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281150

Sorry for all that cluttering up of your OOC, Sword. :smallbiggrin:

LeSwordfish
2013-04-20, 06:31 PM
No problem. Looking forward to the game.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-21, 12:10 PM
Since we are out of initiative, can we just assume Torin can unjma the grenade launcher without rolling? Or should I get the servitor for EOD duty?:smallwink:

LeSwordfish
2013-04-21, 12:33 PM
Make a few rolls, to get an estimate of how long it takes.

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-21, 12:43 PM
Here, thief. C'mon out, I'm not gonna hurt you... Just wanna axe you some questions... :smallamused:

You know what's strange? No matter how little skill you actually have in its use, once you have a Power Axe your first reaction to every problem comes down to "I bet my Power Axe can solve this!". In this case, it's usually followed by spending ten minutes trying to figure out how your Power Axe can solve the problem, then wind up doing something more effective.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-21, 12:51 PM
Rolling rolling rolling...

BS 46 for reference. Technically, the Ranged Volley order is good for +5, but I kinda doubt a real GM would allow it.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

LeSwordfish
2013-04-21, 12:51 PM
I've always thought the average enginseer would have considerable fellow-feeling for Vaarsuvius in the end of this strip. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0674.html)

Also IC soon.

DaedalusMkV
2013-04-21, 01:03 PM
I've always thought the average enginseer would have considerable fellow-feeling for Vaarsuvius in the end of this strip. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0674.html)

Also IC soon.

Oh, I expect you're correct.

"Don't. Touch. ANYTHING!"

"What about this, can I touch this? It looks like a gun, maybe we can shoot people with it."

"ANYTHING!" :smallfurious:

Of course, it's their own damn fault for intentionally keeping everyone ignorant, so it's not like they have any right to complain about it.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-22, 01:28 PM
I would post, but I am still waiting to find out if I got that stupid launcher unjammed or not.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-22, 01:54 PM
Oh, sorry. If you aren't following Varuck and Kaitlyn, you're not on any strict combat time so you can call it unjammed.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-22, 02:01 PM
He was probably unjamming while they ran by.

LeSwordfish
2013-04-29, 01:09 AM
Aaaand we're back.

IC update up in a minute- it's going to be a big one, might have to wait until after lectures.

watupwithdat
2013-04-29, 01:46 PM
Seems I have a little to catch up on as I hadn't have time to do what I was planning to before the forums went down. ^^

RandomLunatic
2013-04-29, 02:12 PM
I was planning to take the Tallahan's Chimera so as not to leave an unattended vehicle to steal. We should at least post somebody to watch over it.

Caimheul
2013-04-29, 02:19 PM
I was planning to take the Tallahan's Chimera so as not to leave an unattended vehicle to steal. We should at least post somebody to watch over it.

If it starts up, Kora can always slag it... I had actually intended for it to be slagged about 3 times over by now, but people kept disobeying Wolfe's implied orders :smallwink:.

Besides... Wolfe never specified WHICH Chimera you should mount up... :smallbiggrin:

LeSwordfish
2013-04-29, 02:52 PM
Bollocks, posted without meaning to. Bear with me, there's stuff for the rest of you too.

Sorry about the lateness of this: i had a post done but my ipad ate it, so i've started again.

Caimheul
2013-04-29, 02:56 PM
I'll post a response once I have access to my books again and the various rules relating to first aid... I know there are some penalties for critically injured patients... Anywho: [roll0] TN 20 (50 + 20 Medkit +10 Assistance -60 Six Critical Damage)

LeSwordfish
2013-04-29, 03:08 PM
Forgot to mention: +10 for Javert's help.

Starbin
2013-04-29, 03:26 PM
If it starts up, Kora can always slag it... I had actually intended for it to be slagged about 3 times over by now, but people kept disobeying Wolfe's implied orders :smallwink:.

Besides... Wolfe never specified WHICH Chimera you should mount up... :smallbiggrin:

Wait, you said you didn't want anything moving that wasn't us. So far, we've met that order :smallbiggrin:

Hopefully Kora sees our boy making for the other Chimera - I don't want to mistake it moving for someone making an escape!

LeSwordfish
2013-04-29, 03:29 PM
Let me know if i've missed anything: odds are good something's slipped my mind.

Major Kiaslu
2013-05-01, 02:05 AM
*clutches gut* Not... feeling good, guys. Haven't been since lunch yesterday. :smallfrown:Damn that lamb-mousakka!

I will work on a post when I return, assuming I feel better at all.

Lycan 01
2013-05-01, 02:43 AM
*clutches gut* Not... feeling good, guys. Haven't been since lunch yesterday. :smallfrown:Damn that lamb-mousakka!

Ouch. Hope you get to feeling better soon. :smallfrown:

Caimheul
2013-05-01, 10:11 AM

Yikes. Hope it was just the lamb and not the face-hugger soufflé you had for dessert... Get well soon!

LeSwordfish
2013-05-07, 04:39 AM
Just a heads up to say my exam season is starting now, which means posts from me will become rather more sparse and rather shorter until the end of may.

Reporting your position to Salo doesn't need any kind of test- Nox Noctis's locator is working fine.

Lycan 01
2013-05-11, 05:06 AM
Can I have Gunz crack off a few rounds in front of the guy to spook him? Do I need to do a specific action or roll for that? And does the Chimera have a loudspeaker or something so Doyle can call out to the guy and let him know he's outnumbered?

LeSwordfish
2013-05-11, 05:34 AM
You're on the other side of the building: he doesn't even know you're there yet, and you can't draw LoS to him.

DaedalusMkV
2013-05-11, 02:17 PM
Armoured force as in
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/3/5/21904_sm-Chaos,%20Renegades,%20Chaos%20Renegade%20Combat%20 Patrol.jpg

In which case we might be able to take them thanks to beneficial terrain, superior skill and emplaced heavy weapons? Or armoured force as in

http://motivateurself.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/drive-me-closer.jpg

In which case run awaaaay (and regroup with the convoy), we'll be lucky to scratch their armour before they bombard us into paste.

RandomLunatic
2013-05-11, 03:13 PM
That is definitely the important question.

Of course, even the former outnumbers us 2:1, which is going to make it... interesting, to say the least.

LeSwordfish
2013-05-11, 03:43 PM
Its more likely to be small than large, but these are questions it would be more useful to ask IC.

RandomLunatic
2013-05-11, 03:55 PM
Well, Mord is the one talking to Salo IC and should probably be the one to ask. :smallwink:

Caimheul
2013-05-11, 10:34 PM
Well, Mord is the one talking to Salo IC and should probably be the one to ask. :smallwink:

Mord is my character's companion... My character's full name is Nathin Wolfe...

RandomLunatic
2013-05-11, 11:58 PM
Why do I keep conflating the two?

Starbin
2013-05-13, 07:04 PM
We got. Sudden increase in work tempo and I lost the bubble on events - is Kora supposed to be doing something, or are we waiting for the chase to complete?

LeSwordfish
2013-05-14, 05:30 PM
So sorry as to be moving slowly on this guys, but i'm falling asleep in my chair, so only Wolfe is getting an update right now: i figure the "talking-to-salo" thread is the main one we want to keep driving forward. Hopefully I can do Montru's combat tomorrow morning.

Kiaslu, are you still with us? Haven't seen you post in a while, man. If you're busy that's fine, but let me know.