PDA

View Full Version : Types of weapons for a cleric

Gokken
2013-01-10, 10:07 AM
Hey guys, I wanted to start a cleric/rogue/something maybe shadowbanestalker

and I am really not sure how to progress from here weapon wise

and it came to my attention there are 3 ways of doing damage with this guy I found viable. I rolled really lucky stats, so basically most feats will be avaible to me. I got these babies: 13,18,15,17,14,18

"Necromancer"

useing necromancy Harm 150+6d6 from black lore of moil spell (complete arcane page 76+empowered spell+8d6 sneak attack!
pros: when i get higher level and start getting level 5-6 spells this will hurt alot with sneak and moil spells

cons: very expensive! very dependent on spells

"Sword and board"
I was thinking since, this guy will have sneak attack and shields, why not bash with my shield and get ac, and decent sneaks on all attacks?
pros: good defense and offense
cons: doubt I can't cast many spells with hand limited thing? also I will need a lot of feats I imagine!

"Dual wield"
Pros: I could take war domain and get weapon focus with long-swords and do huge damage with sneak attacks

cons:takes feats to cast in combat, need to buff myself a lot, loosing defense of the shield! doubt I can't cast many spells with hand limited thing?

sorry if for my english, not native speaker

rockdeworld
2013-01-10, 11:08 AM
I don't think rogue will help you as much as the kobold domain, especially if you want power at level 11+ (when you first get Harm as a straight cleric).

Basically, the problem you face is: you can either have high-level spells or high sneak attack, but not both. Trying it will be difficult and require the help of PrC's like Divine Trickster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9623145#post9623145) (Rich's homebrew PrC). It's better than Shadowbane Stalker because it gives full spellcasting progression (spells are usually more powerful than class abilities) and gives faster Sneak Attack progression.

A good, basic weapon at low levels is a morningstar. At higher levels: magic morningstar. If you take the transformation domain, you can polymorph into a monster for amazing strength, attacks and damage.

Dual-wielding requires at least 3 of your 7 feats, so yes it's feat-intensive, but possible. You don't want to dual-wield longswords though, because then you'll have a -4 penalty to each attack (you gotta wield a light weapon in your off-hand for the optimal -2 penalty). Ditto for shields. You're gonna have to stick with a light mace (or sickle) if you try that.

For something basic, you could try this:
Human Rogue 1/Cleric 3/Rogue 2/Divine Trickster 10/Something else 4
Str 18, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 13
Feats:
1 Two-Weapon Fighting, Able Learner
3 Law Devotion (Domains: Trickery, any)
6 Craven
9 Improved TWF
12 Two-Weapon Pounce
15 Greater TWF
18 any
With this setup, you'll have at level
1: 2xShortsword +2/+2, 2d6+4 (per hit) on a full sneak attack, average 22 damage
3: Morningstar/shortsword +5/+5, 1d8+1d6+4/2d6+4 on a full SA (with law devotion), average 23 damage
6: Morningstar/shortsword +8/+8, 1d8+2d6+10/3d6+10 on a full SA, average 41 damage
10: Morningstar/shortsword +13/+13/+8/+8, (1d8+4d6+14/5d6+14)x2 (average 128 damage) on a full SA, plus 4th level spells like Divine Power to give you +6 Strength.

It's not fully optimized, but there you go for a start.

Gokken
2013-01-10, 11:20 AM
Yea that is really nice indeed, but in the campaign I have to be Lawful good or Neutal good or Chaotic good or Lawful Neutral

and kobold domain pretty much limits you to be a kobold and lawful evil?

rockdeworld
2013-01-12, 09:55 AM
Kurtulmak is LE, so a cleric of Kurtulmak can be LE, NE, or LN, the last of which you said you're allowed.

Boccob (among other deities) grants Trickery domain, and he's TN, so you could be CN, TN, LN, or NG. Again, the last 2 you said you're allowed.