PDA

View Full Version : Ship Battle

javijuji
2013-01-10, 04:09 PM
I read through stormwrack and there is one thing I'm missing from Ship Battles. You know this action where a pirate/sailor uses a rope to tarzan his way into an enemy ship that is close by. What would be the check required to do this? I found no information regarding it and im guessing its a Use Rope check combined with either tumble, climb, or grapple depending on where you are landing. Any thoughts?

Chilingsworth
2013-01-10, 04:18 PM
I think at least one version of the action point rules allow them to be spent to perform "cinematic actions." I think this is actually one of the examples of such.

Also, I think there was a dragon article on the same kind of thing "making your game more cinematic," or something along those lines. I don't remember the issue, though.

hmm... that's probably not very helpful, sorry. :smallfrown:

Demidos
2013-01-10, 04:19 PM
Dexterity check, perhaps?

Lentrax
2013-01-10, 04:21 PM
Mechanically I would say Use Rope to not fall from your rope, and then a reflex save to grab onto something or drop onto the deck.

hymer
2013-01-10, 04:23 PM
How often do these guys in the movies fail?
I don't think I'd make it a check at all, unless there was some specific difficulty, or at least just DC 5 like for climbing a wall using a rope. In which case I'd call it a climb check, with the usual use rope synergy. Dropping down from a height and landing on your feet without taking damage is dealt with under tumble, if I recall correctly.