PDA

View Full Version : Sky-high Intelligence.

Vaz
2013-01-10, 05:15 PM
I am looking at making a BBEG for one of my party. It has Intelligence 28 at ECL 20. I want to get another 10 Intelligence to get a further 9th Level spell/day.

The build cannot be changed; and without seriously hampering its other capabilities, I am unable to get Immune to Age effects, therefore no free +3 to Int.

From what I know, this leaves me +6 Headband of Intellect, alongside a Book of +5 Intellect.

And then I got greedy.

Where can I get another +9 that is not an enhancement bonus?

ericgrau
2013-01-10, 05:21 PM
16 int + 5 (levels) + 6 (headband) + 5 (tomes) = 32. So why are you only starting at 28? Did you forget the +1s from levels?

A middle aged grey elf could add +3 with only a -3 to str/con. If the race is fixed then at least middle aged is probably worth it. It's still a -1, but I'm sure your mentals are more important than your physicals so an equal trade isn't bad.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-10, 05:22 PM
Well, what does it already have?

I'm assuming the elite array, so a base 15 to intelligence. (if the base is higher, adjust accordingly)
It should have at least a +2 racial mod (grey elf, lesser tiefling?) bringing it up to 17
+5 from levels, bringing it up to 22 (you should have a mimimum of +4 from levels, or you wouldn't have access to 9th level spells at all.)
+5 tome: 27
+6 item: 33

Also, there's the Spellcasting Prodigy feat (must be taken at 1st level)
Take Spellcasting Prodigy (Int) and your intelligence will be treated as 2 higher for the purpose of determining bonus spells.

Bringing your effective total to 35.

SowZ
2013-01-10, 05:27 PM
Well, what does it already have?

I'm assuming the elite array, so a base 15 to intelligence. (if the base is higher, adjust accordingly)
It should have at least a +2 racial mod (grey elf, lesser tiefling?) bringing it up to 17
+5 from levels, bringing it up to 22 (you should have a mimimum of +4 from levels, or you wouldn't have access to 9th level spells at all.)
+5 tome: 27
+6 item: 33

Also, there's the Spellcasting Prodigy feat (must be taken at 1st level)
Take Spellcasting Prodigy (Int) and your intelligence will be treated as 2 higher for the purpose of determining bonus spells.

Bringing your effective total to 35.

Should that be the case, at least take middle-aged to bring it to 36.

ericgrau
2013-01-10, 05:32 PM
If all you want is the extra 9th level spell, you can grab a staff for 114,750 gp. And if needed you can now spam that spell several times if needed; staffs rarely run out. Even if you make the spell cost 2 charges per use you probably won't even come close to running out and it's only 57,375 gp. And I mean during anyone's career not merely the fight against the PCs. In a fight against the PCs he should only get 1/5th the uses to be fair since it's an expendable item, but that should still be way more than enough. To get the most mileage ideally the staff should contain the spell which he uses the least often and yet might want to use 2 or 3 times in a row when he does use it. Or if none of his spells fit that description then pick any of them.

Or do that on top of a 36 int and have 7 9th level spells. Or add some other lesser spells to the staff as well, since they will get a discount. Or put 2 9th level spells in the staff. Etc.

According to this he only needs a 36 int for his 2nd 9th level spell: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilityScores . Assuming gray elf is ok, job done. Otherwise he only needs +2 more.

UnjustCustos
2013-01-10, 06:04 PM
Drooling over skill points...

Vaz
2013-01-10, 07:35 PM
ericgrau, I have 28 Base Intelligence.

+11 gets me 39 for an additional 9th Level. But like I said, I'd like to be able to cast another 9th level spell each day.

Through the dainties of my levelling I have 1 9th level spell, the ability score to cast a further 2, and a 9th Level Pearl of Power (at least 1), so that is 3 9th Level Spells with 4 spells/day. I'd like to add one to all those numbers, which has the benefit of increasing the Bang-for-buck I get out the Pearl of Power.

Thank you for the Suggestion of Staffs; I keep forgetting all these tricks for casters. I do have some questions;

Can I use my UMD to use a Staff I don't have access to on the Spell List? Can I mix spells from Spell Lists? Say can my Wizard mix his Wiz only spells with Cleric only spells? Does the staff have to be held? Can it not just be on the person?, and in an easily accessible place. I like to keep my hands free.

@above. Lots of Intelligence sure. Problem is the Class Skill points don't go higher than 6 on a one level dip character at a level where it would be unimportant on a PC; magic would have taken over long before :(

SowZ
2013-01-10, 07:50 PM

+11 gets me 39 for an additional 9th Level. But like I said, I'd like to be able to cast another 9th level spell each day.

Through the dainties of my levelling I have 1 9th level spell, the ability score to cast a further 2, and a 9th Level Pearl of Power (at least 1), so that is 3 9th Level Spells with 4 spells/day. I'd like to add one to all those numbers, which has the benefit of increasing the Bang-for-buck I get out the Pearl of Power.

Thank you for the Suggestion of Staffs; I keep forgetting all these tricks for casters. I do have some questions;

Can I use my UMD to use a Staff I don't have access to on the Spell List? Can I mix spells from Spell Lists? Say can my Wizard mix his Wiz only spells with Cleric only spells? Does the staff have to be held? Can it not just be on the person?, and in an easily accessible place. I like to keep my hands free.

@above. Lots of Intelligence sure. Problem is the Class Skill points don't go higher than 6 on a one level dip character at a level where it would be unimportant on a PC; magic would have taken over long before :(

Still, you will probably have more/as many skill points as a 12 Int Rogue. So that will be nice. Especially since you can completely ignore many, many skills that can be made totally obsolete with low level utility spells.

Magnera
2013-01-10, 08:24 PM
Might I add the Horseshoes of Zeypher? Or something like that, 3 charges with 7 hours each, it adds close to 10 Intelligence, oh yeah and you can fly

TuggyNE
2013-01-10, 08:40 PM

2 bonus 9ths are gained at a score of 36 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#tableAbilityModifiersandBonusSpells) , not 39. (Cranking the score up to 44 gets you 3 bonus 9ths.)

fryplink
2013-01-10, 08:46 PM
Can't you wish yourself +5 more INT? or does that not stack with the manuals? I can't remember where I read that.

SowZ
2013-01-10, 08:49 PM
Can't you wish yourself +5 more INT? or does that not stack with the manuals? I can't remember where I read that.

They are both inherent bonus. Though 3 wishes of + Int should stack with a +2 Tome as far as I understand it, since wish specifically says Wish inherent bonus stacks with other inherent bonus as long as it doesn't exceed 5. Am I correct, playground?

fryplink
2013-01-10, 08:55 PM
They are both inherent bonus. Though 3 wishes of + Int should stack with a +2 Tome as far as I understand it, since wish specifically says Wish inherent bonus stacks with other inherent bonus as long as it doesn't exceed 5. Am I correct, playground?

I think they stack up to +5 from each source maybe? Like you can get +5 from wishes, and +5 from tomes, but not +6 from wishes or +6 tomes. I could be mistaken.

Cruiser1
2013-01-10, 08:55 PM
Where can I get another +9 that is not an enhancement bonus?
Through spellcasting, of course! :smallsmile: Cast 9th level spell Greater Visage of the Deity for +2 untyped bonus to INT. Cast 8th level spell Polymorph Any Object to change into a creature with a high base INT, such as a Sarrukh for INT 30 (and your enhancement and inherent bonuses will be added to that INT).

SowZ
2013-01-10, 08:56 PM
I think they stack up to +5 from each source maybe? Like you can get +5 from wishes, and +5 from tomes, but not +6 from wishes or +6 tomes. I could be mistaken.

I am pretty sure you are, yeah. /: From the text of the wish spell itself: An inherent bonus may not exceed +5 for a single ability score, and inherent bonuses to a particular ability score do not stack, so only the best one applies.

Which means I was wrong about comboing wishes and tomes. Though most DMs would probably allow you to combo them, just like many DMs let 5 +1 tomes equal 1 +5 tome.

fryplink
2013-01-10, 09:01 PM
I am pretty sure you are, yeah. /: From the SRD: An inherent bonus may not exceed +5 for a single ability score, and inherent bonuses to a particular ability score do not stack, so only the best one applies.

Which means I was wrong about comboing wishes and tomes. Though most DMs would probably allow you to combo them, just like many DMs let 5 +1 tomes equal 1 +5 tome.

Huh. Well, that explains a lot about how that campaign ended. +5 is a big difference. Weird. Maybe it's different in the original source book? Not that I care enough to derail a thread over it. A mystery for another day, seeing as I'm probably wrong on all fronts, it's not worth the work when I'm away from books.

SowZ
2013-01-10, 09:14 PM
Huh. Well, that explains a lot about how that campaign ended. +5 is a big difference. Weird. Maybe it's different in the original source book? Not that I care enough to derail a thread over it. A mystery for another day, seeing as I'm probably wrong on all fronts, it's not worth the work when I'm away from books.

It is very possible it is different in AD&D? But the text I quoted is from the PHB.

Also, you could be a lesser air genasi for a +4 Int.

Spuddles
2013-01-10, 09:18 PM
There's a vile spell that lets you drain a target's ability scores and you gain the amount you drained as enhancment bonus. You gain up to one ability score bonus per caster level.

So with CL25, that's a +25 enhancement bonus to int. see bovd c

Vaz
2013-01-10, 09:54 PM
2 bonus 9ths are gained at a score of 36 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#tableAbilityModifiersandBonusSpells) , not 39. (Cranking the score up to 44 gets you 3 bonus 9ths.)

Ah, even "better". For me, anyhow, had a little maths memory fail me there. So, to recap. Although a maths error has seen me drop to 26. Anyhow;

Base 26, +6 Headband, +5 from Tome (or Wish), gives me 37.

I need 44.

Greater Visage gives me +4 (of course I'm Evil!), so I'm now 41.

Any +3's out there to Intelligence? I'd ideally not take a -6 to Strength, Dexterity and Con.

Bonus's used
- Enhancement (+6) - Headband
- Inherent (+5) - Wish/Tome

The rest are Untyped.

SowZ
2013-01-10, 10:08 PM
Ah, even "better". For me, anyhow, had a little maths memory fail me there. So, to recap. Although a maths error has seen me drop to 26. Anyhow;

Base 26, +6 Headband, +5 from Tome (or Wish), gives me 37.

I need 44.

Greater Visage gives me +4 (of course I'm Evil!), so I'm now 41.

Any +3's out there to Intelligence? I'd ideally not take a -6 to Strength, Dexterity and Con.

Bonus's used
- Enhancement (+6) - Headband
- Inherent (+5) - Wish/Tome

The rest are Untyped.

What's your race and is it flexible? There are +0 LAs +4 ints out there. Are you middle aged, at least? +1 Int for -1 Physical is definitely worth it.

Alleran
2013-01-10, 10:08 PM
Be a Lich or Necropolitan? That makes you immune to aging penalties, IIRC, but should allow you to retain the bonuses.

SowZ
2013-01-10, 10:12 PM
Be a Lich or Necropolitan? That makes you immune to aging penalties, IIRC, but should allow you to retain the bonuses.

Lich would also give an Int boost, but the LA would hurt caster levels anyway.

Spuddles
2013-01-10, 11:57 PM

I don't libris mortis has any explicit rules about undead and aging, but it is implicit that they don't age. Been awhile, though, since I looked up those rules.

ericgrau
2013-01-11, 05:23 AM

Ya you can make a DC 20 UMD check to cast any spell from a staff, including those not on your spell list. Without a good wis you might not want to cast divine spells that have a save though. Yes a staff may contain any spells regardless of spell lists. A staff needs to be wielded to use it, unfortunately. But a 10,000 gp glove of storing solves that problem if you can spare the glove slot. Or you can always draw it as a move action and then blow a standard, or get quick draw. You only need one hand free to cast spells, and you can hold (but not wield/use) a staff in 1 hand.

You might not want a -6 to physicals for a +3 to mentals, but 1 for 1 is a good deal. Go middle aged. So that puts you at 42 and there's only 2 to go.

Mato
2013-01-11, 09:19 AM
54 = 18 (base) + 5 (level) + 5 (inherent:wish) + 10 (unnamed: horseshoes of flame) + 1 (unnamed: worm of minauros) + 1 (unnamed: faustian pact) + 8 (enhancement: necromantic empowerment) + 4 (unnamed: greater visiage of the deity) + 2 (alchemical: luhix)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dragon Allowed?
Fell Energy Factor: +4
Ability enhancer Factor: +2
Transfusion: +[(1d6+5)/2] untyped, unknown interaction with above.
65 Int?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
TO Allowed?
Warp Touch: 2% chance of +4 untyped to Int.
Assimilate (pison 9th lvl power): +4 untyped to all ability scores.
PAO: Reset your base Int into the highest value found in a published monster, then add all the above bonuses.

Not nearly as great as the Charisma upper cap, but still pretty powerful.

Vaz
2013-01-11, 09:46 AM
Dragon Mag or Compendium? My Compendium has arrived at the Depot, so I'm going to pick it up later. Dragon Mag, I've not allowed the players to include it.

Horseshoes of Flame, could be interesting, but aside from looking utterly ridiculous.

However, the Necrotic Empowerment grants me the +2 Enhancement I need if I go Middle Aged.

Karoht
2013-01-11, 11:47 AM
I am looking at making a BBEG for one of my party. It has Intelligence 28 at ECL 20. I want to get another 10 Intelligence to get a further 9th Level spell/day.If your purpose is to get another 9th, why not have the BBEG just pack a few scrolls? I mean, sure the extra Int is going to boost the DC's of his abilities, but if all you are after is the extra slot, a cheap solution is just exercise a bit of BBEG preparation and have some scrolls on him. It isn't that huge an impact to WBL typically.

Plus it can provide some interesting deception for the party if you just use minimum caster level rather than having BBEG make these scrolls himself.

"Oh well, he's using scrolls on us, he's only hitting us with 17/18th level casting and a poor intellect bonus."
A round or two later, when he's burned a few scrolls...
"OMGWTFBBQ he's hitting us with his own spells now... wait, his int bonus is how high???"

Just some thoughts.
(The stat stacking is still pretty cool, I just have no expertise there)

Vaz
2013-01-11, 12:12 PM
I can always do that too. However he already has a Morphing Sizing Improved Trip Quarterstaff. I'm sure you can see where I'm taking that.

However no free hands. I suppose I could go Girallons's Blessing though...

ericgrau
2013-01-11, 12:15 PM
A magic staff is also a masterwork quarterstaff. While I can't find an explicit rule to encourage it, it doesn't seem unreasonable for a staff to both be enchanted as a weapon and hold spells. There's even an example staff that does this: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/staffs.htm#power

Alternatively, fighting staff goes into glove of storing, quick draw magic staff, cast with magic staff (standard action), sheath magic staff (move action), fighting staff comes out of glove of storing :smallbiggrin:.

the_archduke
2013-01-11, 02:36 PM
Why on earth would a being that intelligent waste actions hitting things with a stick?

ericgrau
2013-01-11, 02:42 PM
Why on earth would a being that intelligent waste actions hitting things with a stick?
Combat reflexes, tripping and reach, so he doesn't have to waste any actions when he hits foes with his stick.

herrhauptmann
2013-01-11, 02:47 PM
It is very possible it is different in AD&D? But the text I quoted is from the PHB.

Also, you could be a lesser air genasi for a +4 Int.
Where are you getting your genasi?
They've got a +2 dex and a +2 int.

Because as fun as it is to make reality your b**ch, sometimes it just feels really good to hit people.
Honestly though, if I had a wizard like this, he's not using his fighting staff to hit people, it's there for extra bonuses:
Spellblade. Lifedrinker. Warning. Luckblade...

Vaz
2013-01-11, 02:52 PM
Improved Trip, with a SIZING weapon, that can MORPH? Likely getting combat reflexes...

Guessing you missed out on Fighter AoO trip monster builds, huh.

SowZ
2013-01-11, 03:08 PM
Where are you getting your genasi?
They've got a +2 dex and a +2 int.

Because as fun as it is to make reality your b**ch, sometimes it just feels really good to hit people.
Honestly though, if I had a wizard like this, he's not using his fighting staff to hit people, it's there for extra bonuses:
Spellblade. Lifedrinker. Warning. Luckblade...

Some random forum post somewhere with no validity. ): I don't have the book, and I recalled that one planetouched had +4 int. so I googled it since the planetouched handbook was down. My memory may be failing me, though, and either way I should use more discretion with my sources.

herrhauptmann
2013-01-11, 04:23 PM
Some random forum post somewhere with no validity. ): I don't have the book, and I recalled that one planetouched had +4 int. so I googled it since the planetouched handbook was down. My memory may be failing me, though, and either way I should use more discretion with my sources.
Here's a few more.
http://web.archive.org/web/20100411040636/http://users.erols.com/aburner/planescape/
If you hit the Mancer link in my sig, I got the earth/air/fire/water ones in the middle of the first post.

Spuddles
2013-01-11, 05:51 PM

Because he's smart enough to know that you aren't expecting it.

SowZ
2013-01-11, 06:46 PM
Because he's smart enough to know that you aren't expecting it.

Using a melee weapon when you have spells availabe would be like saying, "I am going to go into a modern day firefight with a shield and broadsword." Sure, no one expects it, so, uh, enjoy the element of surprise, I guess? It doesn't make it the most viable strategy.

Vaz
2013-01-11, 09:32 PM
Why? I can get 150ft of making all enemies prone? And unable to act. Those who aren't would wish they were.

This guy is an Egotist; he's broken bad, the biggest and the baddest and evillist and guyist of the BBEG's. With spells used to enhance his defences to the limit, why should he not get physical and play with his food?

animewatcha
2013-01-12, 12:25 AM
It is beneath his intellect to waste more effort on inferior beings?

Deathra13
2013-02-08, 03:39 AM
Alright I kind of just glanced through the second page looking for mention of it, but if you need a hands free solution to the staff issue. Check dmg 2 for the casting glove. Good way to get around the hands issue for a few magic items including staves.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-02-08, 03:57 AM

Personal amusement. It's not like most things can hit back unless he lets them anyway.

Spuddles
2013-02-08, 03:58 AM
Using a melee weapon when you have spells availabe would be like saying, "I am going to go into a modern day firefight with a shield and broadsword." Sure, no one expects it, so, uh, enjoy the element of surprise, I guess? It doesn't make it the most viable strategy.

Not even a little bit. Terrible analogy.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-02-08, 04:16 AM

Especially since a shield is sometimes taken into a fire-fight. Lexan riot shield anyone?

Raven777
2013-02-08, 11:13 AM
and without seriously hampering its other capabilities, I am unable to get Immune to Age effects, therefore no free +3 to Int.

Make it so that in his backstory, he got to Old Age and then got Reincarnated. Reincarnate puts you back in a young adult body, with the loophole that you get to keep your mental stats as they were.

SowZ
2013-02-08, 01:03 PM

When the spells you have available are 9th level spells? Absolutely, closing to melee range is just as absurd as trying to do so on a modern battlefield.

Especially since a shield is sometimes taken into a fire-fight. Lexan riot shield anyone?

No one with a riot shield and melee weapon is going to last on a battlefield with rifles being toted.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-02-08, 01:15 PM
When the spells you have available are 9th level spells? Absolutely, closing to melee range is just as absurd as trying to do so on a modern battlefield.

No one with a riot shield and melee weapon is going to last on a battlefield with rifles being toted.

Didn't comment on the weapon.

I used the term riot shield but I'm sure there are sturdier versions that are used in proper combat during a conflict rather than just intra-national policing.

It is noteable that carrying a melee weapon in addition to a side-arm and a rifle is common practice, if not mandatory, in many armed forces.

SowZ
2013-02-08, 01:21 PM
Didn't comment on the weapon.

I used the term riot shield but I'm sure there are sturdier versions that are used in proper combat during a conflict rather than just intra-national policing.

It is noteable that carrying a melee weapon in addition to a side-arm and a rifle is common practice, if not mandatory, in many armed forces.

Sure, but that doesn't mean you go onto the battlefield expecting to knife someone so forget your rifle. This boss characters melee ability is a nice for them, but if they have 9th level spells they will probably focus on those if they are playing smart. If this particular character is fighting emotionally and loves melee, okay. But it isn't smart is all.

Spuddles
2013-02-08, 01:42 PM
The Brits have had two successful bayonet charges, one in Afghanistan in 2004, and one in Iraq in 2011. In both cases, the charges followed standard doctrine for being ambushed- escape the killzone and break through to the enemy. Use of bayonets allow you to effectively engage in close range where the force multiplying effects of the ambushing force can be negated.

Synovia
2013-02-08, 01:51 PM
It is beneath his intellect to waste more effort on inferior beings?

That would be a wisdom thing, not an intelligence thing.

There are plenty of very intelligent people who are unnecessarily cruel.

Cruiser1
2013-02-08, 02:06 PM
Horseshoes of Flame, could be interesting, but aside from looking utterly ridiculous.
Use the magic item combination rules (MIC page 233) to craft the Horseshoes of Flame ability onto an existing pair of magic boots. If you don't already have magic boots, start with something cheap like Anklet of Translocation for 1400 gold. You only need to pay 1.5x the cost of the cheaper item when buying or crafting two items together, which in the Anklet's case is 700 extra gold to buy or 350 to craft. Now you have a magic item that gives you the powerful Horseshoes of Flame ability but looks like an anklet. :smallsmile:

Kelb_Panthera
2013-02-08, 03:25 PM
The horeshoes of flame are an item meant for a non-human race and should carry a comensurate markup for that. They also take up the equivalent of both the boot and glove slots for a horse and should, consequently, either do the same for a human wearer or have their price doubled for taking up half as many slots after the markup for the removal of the racial restriction.

Mithril Leaf
2013-02-08, 04:18 PM
The horeshoes of flame are an item meant for a non-human race and should carry a comensurate markup for that. They also take up the equivalent of both the boot and glove slots for a horse and should, consequently, either do the same for a human wearer or have their price doubled for taking up half as many slots after the markup for the removal of the racial restriction.

Generally UMD is assumed for the non-human aspect but the glove issue is pretty true.

Cruiser1
2013-02-08, 04:58 PM
They also take up the equivalent of both the boot and glove slots for a horse
Centaurs would disagree. :smallsmile: Centaurs can wear foot slot items (horseshoes are just one type of a foot slot item) and wear something else on their hands. Ordinary horses don't have hands, so can't wear gloves or other hand slot magic items at all. Different creatures have different magic item slots or limitations, e.g. Aboleths have no hands or feet, so can't wear hand or foot slot items (LoM page 24), while Grell can wear 2 amulets and 4 rings at once and get the benefits of all of them due to their anatomy (LoM page 114). If you're going to double the price, that's enough to make the item slotless altogether.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-02-08, 05:05 PM
Centaurs would disagree. :smallsmile: Centaurs can wear foot slot items (horseshoes are just one type of a foot slot item) and wear something else on their hands. Ordinary horses don't have hands, so can't wear gloves or other hand slot magic items at all. Different creatures have different magic item slots or limitations, e.g. Aboleths have no hands or feet, so can't wear hand or foot slot items (LoM page 24), while Grell can wear 2 amulets and 4 rings at once and get the benefits of all of them due to their anatomy (LoM page 114). If you're going to double the price, that's enough to make the item slotless altogether.

Centaurs, much like non-domesticated horses, don't generally wear horeshoes and in any case your argument basically means that a centaur has 2 boots slots.

If you want to use them as-is by eating the racial HD and LA of a centaur, go right ahead.

Doubling would normally make an item that takes up a slot slotless, but the guidlines don't cover items that take up more than one slot so a judgement call must be made. Given the extremely powerful nature of this item and all the other costs that could be reasessed in the item's pricing when creating what is unequivocally a different item that gives the same benefits, paying double to get it down to one slot is, if anything, extremely generous.

Story
2013-02-08, 06:06 PM

Undead don't age, they evolve. You have to age before becoming undead. Unfortunately this means you keep the age penalties too, though at least constitution doesn't matter.

Alienist
2013-02-08, 08:48 PM
Undead don't age, they evolve. You have to age before becoming undead. Unfortunately this means you keep the age penalties too, though at least constitution doesn't matter.

" Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects."

Is what the SRD says. I'm not sure if that covers age related 'damage' to physical stats.

I think Story is referring to an Evolved Undead template or prestige class? (From the book of bad latin?)

True story: in GURPS, Steve Jackson games decided that undead would get a big boost to their constitution, but keel over dead when they hit 0 hp. This had the side effect of making Zombies really really good at the following skills: swimming, running and seduction. *twitch*

As for the bayonet charge:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-most-famous-bayonet-charge-of-modern-conflict-2012-10

http://www.businessinsider.com/captain-sean-jones-award-for-valor-2012-9

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/observation-post/2009/04/bayonets---the-future.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-19755107

Also, the Scots Guard and some paratroopers did the bayonet thing in the Falklands.

//obligatory patriotism
Rule Britannia! Britannia rule the waves!
Britons never never never will be slaaaaaves!!!

Cruiser1
2013-02-08, 10:21 PM
your argument basically means that a centaur has 2 boots slots.
Centaurs don't have 2 boots slots, just because they have four legs instead of two. Similarly, humans don't have 10 ring slots just because they have 10 fingers. Whenever a creature is special enough to be able to wear additional copies of a magic item, it's explicitly stated (such as Grell).

I've never heard of a magic item taking up multiple slots before. Other magic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/horseshoes-of-speed) horseshoes (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/horseshoes-of-a-zephyr) are specifically mentioned as taking up just the feet slot. Horseshoes of Flame don't take up two slots. They're just a feet slot item like any other, that's usually crafted to have four pieces to it. Individual magic items can come in multiple pieces, like Gauntlets of Ogre Power which has two parts. They can also come in a single piece, like Glove of Storing which is just a single glove but still fills up the entire hands slot, regardless of how many hands the creature has.

Vaz
2013-02-08, 11:00 PM
Sure, but that doesn't mean you go onto the battlefield expecting to knife someone so forget your rifle. This boss characters melee ability is a nice for them, but if they have 9th level spells they will probably focus on those if they are playing smart. If this particular character is fighting emotionally and loves melee, okay. But it isn't smart is all.

Who is saying that?

I like to build my characters as a DM as close as possible to the rules that the players run by; the difference of having the ability to build the environment and spells prepared and magic items "countering" the tactics of the party is where it becomes exponentially harder. The following is all legal by the rules.

However, he's an ECL 17 caster; although he has Persisted Divine Power, and is a 30 metre tall Pit Fiend, with a Miracle SLA and access to pretty much every spell in the entire game (all of them Persisted and cast on him), he still has to make the action economy work for him. Plus, despite having Miracle as an SLA, it's 2/day. He has Persisted Body Outside Body clones, which have the SLA, but no spellcasting; so I can use these clones to deal damage to waste the parties resources by casting a couple of spells then resorting to combat. As they are identical, I can simply play the BBEG to appear like these clones, and have similar tactics. About the only spell it can use but won't, is Transcend Mortality.

His stats are somewhat insane; his Strength is above the sky; A Giant Sized Pit Fiend with a Bite of the Werebear has a Strength of 85.

My weapon is the Staff of Mighty Sweeping (+2/- Quarterstaff with Sweeping Enchantment and Improved Trip feat for free); with the Morphing and Sizing Weapon Enchantments; this gives me a wooden colossal sized spiked chain tripper with 60ft reach (so a 150ft Bubble). What's important about wooden? Why Persisted Brambles and Immunity to Greater Ironguard of course! +1 to Crit Range, and a slight improvement on damage; with the above strength, I'm dealing 49 Bonus damage per hit, and I have 5 attacks a turn from Persistent Haste, in addition to Chain-Gun Trapper Feats (persistent Heroics) with at a Dex Bonus of around +10.

So, that is 5 Attacks, with 10 Attacks of Opportunity, anyone within 75' of range is on the floor getting wailed on. Anything immune to that gets vaporised by the remaining spells per day.

Story
2013-02-09, 12:51 AM
" Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects."

Is what the SRD says. I'm not sure if that covers age related 'damage' to physical stats.

A) Ageing doesn't cause ability damage. If it did, you could just Restoration it. Or use Strongheart Vest.

B) Undead can't age.