PDA

View Full Version : Spell help vs. being found

Glarnog
2013-01-10, 06:39 PM
My spell knowledge isn't that great. I am trying to make this post short and not bother you with details. The group of 5 pcs who are about 14th lvl were recently attacked by ten or so powerful Pelorites. We won, it wasn't easy. This happened in a big swap meet type area. Ideally we'd like a chance to talk to them and explain what we are doing. ie we are good guys doing good stuff and that they were misled.

My concerns are with the Pelorites powerful friends and that who ever is pulling all the strings can and will magically track us and or them down. We do have an arcane caster with us. He's probably about 13th lvl. We also have a divine caster too, but I don't think he has straight caster advancement. We also have a couple of characters with pretty good UMD. However the DM is pretty strict on what magic items can be purchased. It's rare to find a scroll over 4th lvl. We are pretty sure that Mindflayers are involved so protection from being seen or attacked from the Etheral plane is a concern as well.

So we can teleport in to the middle of no where. How do we keep them from finding, spying, attacking, etc on us?

And to help with talking and hopefully convincing them.

Thank you.

Flickerdart
2013-01-10, 06:41 PM
Nondetection won't make it impossible for them to spy on you, but it would make it pretty tricky.

Quiddle
2013-02-04, 08:40 PM
Antimagic Field (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm) would help but it would be tough to keeps up all the time and it would supress the party's magic.
edit:try Mage's Private Sanctum (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesPrivateSanctum.htm)

Venger
2013-02-04, 09:01 PM
false vision (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/falseVision.htm) also works for this endeavor.

Deaxsa
2013-02-04, 11:40 PM
breaking things down for you: of the replies so far, only False Vision really is ideal. everything else either does not move with the party, does not last long enough, or only targets one person. Also, False vision has no save. they are going to see what you want, no matter what(not even if they have spell resistance). ALSO, false vision makes it so that you can mislead the scryers, unlike most of the others, who would be aware that you were messing with their abilities. honestly, i think that False vision is the spell you want right now. the only downside is see is that you can only cast it as a cleric spell with the trickery domain, and i doubt a sorcerer is going to grab it... nevermind, this spell does everything, a sorcerer should totally grab this spell. (at least i would, scry and fry is a bit too common effective for my tastes as far as defending against it goes)

Keld Denar
2013-02-04, 11:45 PM
Veil might help.

Veil
Illusion (Glamer)
Level: Brd 6, Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Targets: One or more creatures, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
Duration: Concentration + 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes; see text

You instantly change the appearance of the subjects and then maintain that appearance for the spell’s duration. You can make the subjects appear to be anything you wish. The subjects look, feel, and smell just like the creatures the spell makes them resemble. Affected creatures resume their normal appearances if slain. You must succeed on a Disguise check to duplicate the appearance of a specific individual. This spell gives you a +10 bonus on the check.

Unwilling targets can negate the spell’s effect on them by making Will saves or with spell resistance. Those who interact with the subjects can attempt Will disbelief saves to see through the glamer, but spell resistance doesn’t help.

tiercel
2013-02-05, 06:36 AM
Especially if your cleric is already packing Diplomacy, you could just go on the (diplomatic) offensive.

First? (Lesser) planar ally, explain your predicament to a hound archon or alignment-and-HD appropriate Good outsider that this is a big misunderstanding. Get him to ride shotgun with you when you....

Second, show up at a temple of Pelor. With a literal freaking angel doing the whole "whoa hey, it's cool, listen to these guys" thing to head off a trigger-happy bunch of Smitey McSmiters. Have your cleric have divine insight (CAdv) up to use on a Diplomacy check; season to taste with guidance, heroism, eagle's splendor etc.

The angel gets you in the door, since Pelorites are not likely to smack down an angel or those under his aegis (unless we are talking followers of The Burning Hate (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19558798/Pelor,_the_Burning_Hate)), then you just boost the dickens out of your Diplomacy chance to get them to actually listen.

Still leaves you with the problem of who's pulling the strings, but at least they'd have to scry-and-die you themselves (or find other cats-paws to do it), plus there are probably worse places to hole up vs teleport ganks than a *friendly* church of Pelor.

Karoht
2013-02-05, 10:54 AM
Nondetection, Detect Scrying, False Vision, Anticipate Teleportation.

Alternatively, you could just set up a Teleport Trap into a Forcecage with your casters all readying an action for Wall of Force, bait them into the trap, and then try talking them down.
Ensure that the area intended to be Forcecaged has a table and chairs, food waiting, and a fresh pot of tea. That helps.

If you have a base of operations, Forbiddance the heck out of that place.