PDA

View Full Version : Where did I see this feat?

Exile
2006-11-03, 09:41 AM
Quick preface. I'm joining a table-top game with a very small group. In order to cover all the party roles, I'm trying to amalgamate Rogue with a suitable melee class. Right now I'm thinking of rolling a human for the benefit of the Feat Able Learner, taking one or two levels of pure rogue, and then taking either swashbuckler or ranger ad-infinitim.

I'm almost positive I've seen a feat somewhere thats available to characters with both a favoured enemy and sneak attack class abilities, something like Ascetic Rogue but instead of meshing monks and rogues, it combines rangers and rogues. I've spent a couple hours looking for it though and I'm starting to think I might have made it up. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Exile

Telonius
2006-11-03, 10:00 AM
Are you thinking of Darkwood Stalker? It's a PrC, not a Feat, in Complete Warrior. Could also be Order of the Bow Initiate from CW; or Highland Stalker and Ghost-Faced Killer in Complete Adventurer.

Exile
2006-11-03, 10:22 AM
Hmmm could be. I was pretty sure there was a feat for this though, but I'll take a look at those suggestions.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-11-03, 10:45 AM
You read Dragon? There might be some actual feats that are close to what you're looking for in one of their issues.

Yuki Akuma
2006-11-03, 10:49 AM
There's Devoted Tracker, which combines Paladins and Rangers.. don't think I've seen a version for Rogues, though.

Hario
2006-11-03, 10:54 AM
Good choice on the able learner feat. Rogues and bards get the best use of it because what are you going to spend with 13 skill points a level... what you aren't good at. My suggestion is go Chameleon PrC you can get it by level 6 going straight rogue. You get 4 less skill points a level but you become almost as good of a straight rogue as if you gone up (in at least sneak attack wise (+1d6 every 3 chameleon levels) and you can become teh ubar jack of all trades, you can become almost as good as a straight fighter/rogue/wizard/cleric in an instant, you get ability boosts which you can change and a bonus feat that you can change every day. The class is too good to not pass up, the only real downside is you loose 4 skill points every level, and some sneak attack but able learner allows you to spend the skill points to aide you on your skill monkeying ways...

Bitter_Elf
2006-11-03, 12:47 PM
I am certain the feat you're looking for is in Masters of the Wild, the 3.0 Ranger/Druid/Barbarian classbook. There were quite a few feats in that one to empower the wild shape, rage, and favored enemy abilities. A useful and very well-done book - I recommend it.

Jack_Banzai
2006-11-04, 02:08 PM
Or you could just go Scout and get essentially the best of both worlds, albeit minus your favored enemy goodness.

The Glyphstone
2006-11-04, 03:33 PM
How big is the group? If it's only like 2-3 people, that's usually when Gestalt is employed.

Exile
2006-11-04, 04:21 PM
A few good suggestions here, thanks guys. I'll definitely have to try to find a copy of Master's of the Wild. Don't think I saw this one in an issue of Dragon as I rarely read it but I suppose its possible. And in response to Glyph, we have three players with an outside possibility of a fourth but thats not too likely. However the DM is sceptical about using gestalt rules right now, he doesn't have a lot of experience with the game yet.

Larrin
2006-11-05, 03:22 AM
i checked a few compilations of feats, one even had them arranged by class (crystalkeep.com) and could not find any ranger/rogue tie in feats. i doubt they would be anything like the ascetic rouge feat anyway, since there is nothing preventing you from multiclassing rogues and rangers (where as those feat help out monks and paladins who do want to multiclass) and honestly i'm not sure what sort of benefit you'd hope for. Increased sneak attack againt favored enemies? maybe, but you already have a damage bonus ALL the time against them, plus you loose very little by multiclassing ranger to ranger, unlike a monk who looses unarmed damage or AC bonuses. thats what the ascetic feats try to alleiviate. I'm just not sure what a rougue/ranger specific feat could really help you with.

shifter087
2007-02-17, 12:06 AM
It's in the complete adventurer i just finished reading looking at it.

Exile
2007-02-17, 11:19 AM
Wow, late entry, thanks shifter. Do you recall the name by chance?
Exile

jkdjr25
2007-02-17, 11:20 AM
i thought it was in complete scoundrel actually

Ikkitosen
2007-02-17, 11:33 AM
There's a feat in CS for combining scout and ranger (Swift Hunter), but I don't think there's one for rogue/ranger. You can see the feat list/summary by typing "complete scoundrel excerpt" into google.