PDA

View Full Version : Rules for Sleeping Characters

javijuji
2013-01-10, 10:29 PM
What are the rules for sounds / Listen checks while sleeping. If some animal or any kind of creature comes close whiel sleeping do you get a Listen check?

TuggyNE
2013-01-10, 10:52 PM
Yes, it's in the listen skill:
A sleeping character may make Listen checks at a -10 penalty. A successful check awakens the sleeper.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-10, 11:02 PM
Hmm. Interesting. Is Listen the only skill that can be used while sleeping? I do find this interesting, mainly because irl I can lucid dream and have waking dreams. It would be interesting to design some kind of spell or special ability that would allow other, reactive type skill usage while sleeping (probably only sensory).

Even scent would kind of make sense to be helpful; a sleeping human can have dream perception of spells, so I would think a creature with scent might have a strong enough reaction to wake up.

I love using dream sequences in adventures, so it is useful to know exactly what kind of things will wake someone up, aside from someone directly waking them up.

Come to think of it, I can't even find a condition for sleeping, only that it's referenced under helpless (DMG), which lacks some clarity, IMHO.

jaynus006
2013-01-10, 11:14 PM
What about creatures with blindsight or tremorsense while they are sleeping?

Story
2013-01-10, 11:37 PM
One of the 3.0 books as an entire Lucid Dreaming skill plus rules for adventuring around in peoples dreams. But that's probably not what you're talking about.

BowStreetRunner
2013-01-10, 11:41 PM
This is one place where Pathfinder has an edge over 3.5, as the Perception skill can effectively be used for any of the character's senses.