PDA

View Full Version : Ocular Spell

Mirakk
2013-01-10, 10:31 PM
Hey guys, I've got a question for you.

This is all hypothetical of course, but why do you suppose there's the requirement on Ocular Spell to have two or more eyes. The feat allows you to hold the charge in one eye with each spell that you memorize with the feat per day. If it only charges 1 eye, you'd think even a creature with just one eye could use the feat.

The flavor text says that your knowledge of beholders gives the insight, and as we know beholders have many eyes, each with a different effect. That part makes sense I guess, but the feat also restricts you from making use of any more than two eyes, which seems counter intuitive.

Very confusing, to say the least.

My hunch is that the multiple eye limitation is put in effect to prevent abberant wildshape shenanigans among other tricks to gain a dozen or so eyes, and fire off a dozen rays in a round as a full action. That's perfectly understandable (though a limitation to the number able to function at once would be effective I suppose).

However, this doesn't answer my real question. Why single out using the feat for one-eyed creatures? A creature with two eyes can charge just one eye. You'd think a creature with one eye could do the same.

Vaz
2013-01-10, 10:32 PM
One Eye get's turned over to shoot lasers out of, the other watches where you're going?

weckar
2013-01-10, 10:45 PM
I can think of a few reasons, most importantly:

-Effective targeting requires at least two eyes (hence why cyclopses have a ranged penalty). Such is doubly important for magic, as without it the eye itself would be in range of effect. (It's also known as the planespace effect, if I recall)

-Because the technique is inspired by Beholders, perhaps the second eye simply plays part in the ritual to do it.