PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Barb/Fighter build suggestions.

vageta31
2013-01-10, 10:32 PM
Hey guys, after almost a year break from the last game our group is going to be starting up a new campaign next weekend and I was looking for some ideas on where to take my character. Having been out of the loop for this long I'm a bit rusty on my optimization so I wanted to be sure I was on the right track and not forgetting something. Basically the situation is this:

- Forgotten Realms
- Currently a 3 man party
- Level 3 starting
- PHB/PHBII for base classes
- 30 point buy
- PHB/RoF for racial choices and regional feats
- Feats/variants/prc's from other books allowed but need to get ok'd first.
- No ToB. Period.

So one player has chosen to go the rogue/wizard/arcane trickster route while the other wants to play a Favored Soul. I'll be taking up the melee route and likely going with some sort of Barbarian/Fighter build that focuses on battlefield control and damage. Basically he's going to be a charger/tripper while optimizing damage as much as possible. The DM is fully aware of tiers and understands that I will be trying to optimize my character and is ok with anything that isn't too much of a stretch. The wizard isn't an optimizer so I don't think he'll be going to crazy and the Favored Soul player knows enough to make his character as strong as need be.

So here are my current ideas:

- Human starting from the region(can't remember the name) that allows the Jotunbrud feat. Will help me trip/bullrush much easier and against bigger opponents.
- Barb 2/Fighter 1 for starters
- Thinking for stats: 16,14,16,10,10,8 or even 17,14,14,11,10,8 and upping str to 18 at level 4. I'm not sure how much dex will help so I could knock it down to 12 however I won't be using heavy armor so the dex can help with AC.
- Using variants: Dungeoncrasher, Whirling Frenzy, Wolf Totem(improved trip for free) and Spirit Lion Totem(pounce), skilled city dweller for getting tumble over ride. This will give me the ability to get 2 attacks after a charge and land a good portion of trips attempts, not to mention the ability to move around the battlefield without always provoking AoO's.
- For my first two actual feats I was thinking power attack and combat reflexes, though improved bullrush is also a good choice.
- Using a glaive and spiked gauntlet to threaten at 5 and 10. I really am inclined to burn a feat to use a spiked chain, but there is no guarantee I can always get a better one as I level and feats are scarce.
- Future feats: Improved bullrush, Shock Trooper, Extra Rage, ???

So firstly can I have some opinions on my plan so far? Stats make sense, feats look in line, any variants I'm missing, etc..? I'm not really sure where to go from here. I need one more fighter level for dungeoncrasher then I need to consider what class next in order to plan for a PrC. Bear warrior(as well as FotF but I'd need more prereqs) sounds really good but I can't remember what else I'd need for prereqs. I was considering a level of Ranger so I can get into Horizon Walker but since I'm not limited to core only I'm thinking there are much better PrC options. Should I get IUS to get into FotF early then go into Bear Warrior later? I'm assuming the IUS/FotF bonuses would help in bear form?

Just looking for some general critiques incase I'm forgetting something or something in my plan doesn't look right. Also what should I spend my 3rd level wealth on? Mithril chain, masterwork glaive/spiked gaunts, etc..? Was thinking about getting some potions of enlarge person to give me reach, some potions of night vision, etc..

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-01-10, 10:51 PM
Your 3rd level feat should be either Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown), or get Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) or Ancestral Relic (BoED) if you want to guarantee an upgraded Spiked Chain.

I'd get nonmasterwork weapons and armor, and choose from the following:
Healing Belt, MIC, 750 gp.
Brute Gauntlets, MIC, 500 gp.
Amber Amulet of Vermin: Giant Wasp, MIC, 800 gp.
Cloak of Elemental Protection, MIC, 1,000 gp.
Anything from the Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101) list.
You'll need a +1 weapon with Item Familiar (worth it) or a masterwork weapon with Ancestral Relic.

SowZ
2013-01-10, 10:57 PM
Hey guys, after almost a year break from the last game our group is going to be starting up a new campaign next weekend and I was looking for some ideas on where to take my character. Having been out of the loop for this long I'm a bit rusty on my optimization so I wanted to be sure I was on the right track and not forgetting something. Basically the situation is this:

- Forgotten Realms
- Currently a 3 man party
- Level 3 starting
- PHB/PHBII for base classes
- 30 point buy
- PHB/RoF for racial choices and regional feats
- Feats/variants/prc's from other books allowed but need to get ok'd first.
- No ToB. Period.

So one player has chosen to go the rogue/wizard/arcane trickster route while the other wants to play a Favored Soul. I'll be taking up the melee route and likely going with some sort of Barbarian/Fighter build that focuses on battlefield control and damage. Basically he's going to be a charger/tripper while optimizing damage as much as possible. The DM is fully aware of tiers and understands that I will be trying to optimize my character and is ok with anything that isn't too much of a stretch. The wizard isn't an optimizer so I don't think he'll be going to crazy and the Favored Soul player knows enough to make his character as strong as need be.

So here are my current ideas:

- Human starting from the region(can't remember the name) that allows the Jotunbrud feat. Will help me trip/bullrush much easier and against bigger opponents.
- Barb 2/Fighter 1 for starters
- Thinking for stats: 16,14,16,10,10,8 or even 17,14,14,11,10,8 and upping str to 18 at level 4. I'm not sure how much dex will help so I could knock it down to 12 however I won't be using heavy armor so the dex can help with AC.
- Using variants: Dungeoncrasher, Whirling Frenzy, Wolf Totem(improved trip for free) and Spirit Lion Totem(pounce), skilled city dweller for getting tumble over ride. This will give me the ability to get 2 attacks after a charge and land a good portion of trips attempts, not to mention the ability to move around the battlefield without always provoking AoO's.
- For my first two actual feats I was thinking power attack and combat reflexes, though improved bullrush is also a good choice.
- Using a glaive and spiked gauntlet to threaten at 5 and 10. I really am inclined to burn a feat to use a spiked chain, but there is no guarantee I can always get a better one as I level and feats are scarce.
- Future feats: Improved bullrush, Shock Trooper, Extra Rage, ???

So firstly can I have some opinions on my plan so far? Stats make sense, feats look in line, any variants I'm missing, etc..? I'm not really sure where to go from here. I need one more fighter level for dungeoncrasher then I need to consider what class next in order to plan for a PrC. Bear warrior(as well as FotF but I'd need more prereqs) sounds really good but I can't remember what else I'd need for prereqs. I was considering a level of Ranger so I can get into Horizon Walker but since I'm not limited to core only I'm thinking there are much better PrC options. Should I get IUS to get into FotF early then go into Bear Warrior later? I'm assuming the IUS/FotF bonuses would help in bear form?

Just looking for some general critiques incase I'm forgetting something or something in my plan doesn't look right. Also what should I spend my 3rd level wealth on? Mithril chain, masterwork glaive/spiked gaunts, etc..? Was thinking about getting some potions of enlarge person to give me reach, some potions of night vision, etc..

You will want battlejump as soon as possible if you are going with a pounce/dungeoncrasher build. Then you want Leap attack, when you get it. These two feats will at least double your damage output.

You may also want to take four levels of ranger, which can net you power attack, (assuming you can incorporate the Pathfinder Ranger fighting style,) and Improved Trip, (if you go non spellcasting Ranger.) This would mean you could take City Brawler barbarian instead of Wolf Totem. You'd keep uncanny dodge, and only have to burn one feat to grab Fist of the Forest if you do intend on maxing out Con. You'd also get your fast movement back and a second mode of range that you can use while raging, in that case. Also, you could trade trap sense for either spell sense, (+1AC vs. spells,) or trapfinding, (a better choice if there is no rogue in the group.)

The combo of Fist of the Forest and City Brawler would mean you would be d**n deadly if ever forced to fight unarmed. This would give you your Con as an armor bonus. Admittedly, less useful for a Whirling Frenzy Barbarian. Probably not worth it without the eventual +8 Con. And if the DM isn't willing to waive the enforced fluff, it likely doesn't fit your character concept. Ranger is possibly still worth it, though.

Ranger also gives you Endurance which means you can take steadfast determination to drastically improve your will save and allow you to dump Wis. If you don't want to go Ranger, I'd consider taking the feat tireless instead of endurance to grab steadfast determination.