PDA

View Full Version : System suggestions for a sci fi game

Zahhak
2013-01-10, 10:33 PM
For the last year or so I've been working on a campaign, well more of a setting. It's a sci fi setting generally, taking place about a hundred years in the future. As I was working on the setting it kept going down darker and darker channels, and right now it's crime drama/cyberpunk/space western/military sci fi type thing.

Basic setting info:
In the 70s the UN member states decided that combat in space was a bad thing, so they created a treaty that banned weapons in space. In the 2030s a combined effort of the US, EU, and China started a fairly large permanent colony on Mars. Another smaller colony from a private venture was already there, but this one would be much larger, with a population of a few thousand people. A generation later and the US has descended into civil war. The American component of the Martian Colony decided that the US would not survive, and they could not help. So, they declared their independence, and took over the other chunks of the colony. The US managed to hold itself together, but didn't have the strength to smack Mars back into line, so they let it stand.

Other elements of different countries left and Mars became a fairly prosperous little economy. They did so mostly by illegally selling weapons designed for use in space to various organizations. A large number of space stations that use rotation to simulate gravity have been set up around Earth, and most of them are run by various groups, like the mob. Basically, the area around Earth is like Las Vegas in the 30s: the prostitutes, drugs, and alcohol flow like water, with little law enforcement. Or law, for that matter.

The story itself is that one of the top tier members of an organization was assassinated, and the organization itself isn't sure if it can trust its own members, so they have their usual group of investigators, and they also quietly hire the party to look into things, just in case.

So, with that in mind, here are the things I've decided about the system:
1. A few members of my group hate DnD Future and I'm not a fan of HERO.
2. Deemphasis on combat, focus on investigation. Think film noir, almost.

Now, I had some other things that I knew I did/didn't want, but they escape me at the moment.

Anyways, thanks in advance!

ngilop
2013-01-10, 11:42 PM
GURPS again is a good system. and if you want less D20 based stuff the combat is a bit more gritty

the Paladium books are pretty good.

travellar.. or is is traveller..? Is a ncie system.

there is also shadowrun.

i know peopel on this forum say good things abotu eclipse phase, but I do not have any expericvne with that at all.. and im not even sure its sci-fi LOL

Grinner
2013-01-11, 12:18 AM
They say that FATE (http://www.ukroleplayers.com/downloads/free-fate/) is good for games focused on investigation.

hamlet
2013-01-11, 08:14 AM
I know I say it every time, but I think Alternity would do well.

Cypberpunk would also do well as would BRP.

Zahhak
2013-01-11, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going through the info on them I can find right now.

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-11, 09:29 PM
D6 Adventure / D6 Space?

Hopeless
2013-01-12, 08:16 AM
Cortex system couldn't help wondering if you've been watching any of the Firefly series when preparing this!

Zahhak
2013-01-12, 04:57 PM
I have nothing nice to say about Firefly specifically or Joss Whedon generally.

BootStrapTommy
2013-01-12, 06:40 PM
GURPS, if you and the other players are willing to put in the immense effort required to learn it.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-01-12, 07:27 PM
They say that FATE (http://www.ukroleplayers.com/downloads/free-fate/) is good for games focused on investigation.
Wrong link. Even if that is 3e, wrong link. This (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/fate-core?ref=live) is the right link.

Zahhak
2013-01-13, 12:38 AM
I brought this up with my group and one of our members said "Wait, why is this an issue? Call of Cthulhu" and then I remembered I had the COC source book. So the only issue right now is a system for cybernetic/biological/nanite upgrades to graft onto COC. I here Cyberpunk 2020 is good for that.

Anyways, thanks guys.

SowZ
2013-01-14, 03:43 AM
I've heard people since praises up and down to star wars d6. To those that have played it, could the jedi parts be taken out and it work for this? I really don't know.

shizukanashi
2013-01-14, 05:10 AM
The Jedi Element is easily removed. Infact when WEG lost the Lucus license they started making D6 which was just that, the system they created without any of the trademark Star Wars material. On that note there is even a pretty cool setting they came out with a few years ago called "Septimus" I got a signed copy when I went to GenCon in 2009.

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-15, 10:16 PM
I've heard people since praises up and down to star wars d6. To those that have played it, could the jedi parts be taken out and it work for this? I really don't know.

Yes. WEG did this for you already. It's called D6 Space, and it is free online.