PDA

View Full Version : Defeating a Rod of Enemy Detection

BowStreetRunner
2013-01-10, 11:31 PM
Maybe I am just overtired, but faced with needing to overcome the detection abilities of a Rod of Enemy Detection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#enemyDetection), I am suddenly at a loss. It doesn't appear to work off of alignment, so a Ring of Mind Shielding is no help. Does the spell Nondetection work here, maybe treating it the same as it would a Crystal Ball?

What other methods might work here? While I think it has limited usefulness for a PC, this item could become a major pain if the DM starts outfitting lots of monsters and NPCs with these.

Acanous
2013-01-10, 11:33 PM
Mind Blank should work. It's expensive if you're not a lv 15 caster, though.

Vaz
2013-01-10, 11:41 PM
Diplomance yourselves into believing enemies aren't hostile.

If they are used as a Guardian Creature/Gatewarden, as long as you don't get angry at said warden you're safe. That or throw a pissed off tomcat at the Gatewarden.

The Glyphstone
2013-01-10, 11:45 PM
It's very limited in uses, max 30min/day, and has an extremely short range. If NPCs are being kitted out with them, they still have to suspect someone is nearby to trigger the rod. Besides, 60ft. is charge range for almost anyone Medium or larger, so at most it'll give 1 round of warning vs. a Halfling or Dwarf. If you can charge from further than 60ft., they get no warning at all.

It's a very weak item, honestly, for its price.

Urpriest
2013-01-11, 02:10 AM
Another thing to consider is that the rod functions based on whether you are hostile. A PC can't be affected by diplomacy IIRC, so you should be able to choose your own attitude towards NPCs. Simply choose to be unfriendly or better.

JaronK
2013-01-11, 03:16 AM
The rod only has a 60' range, and only works a few minutes a day. Why not attack when the rod is not in use, or just charge from out of range?

JaronK