PDA

View Full Version : Stupid iPod

noparlpf
2013-01-11, 12:41 AM
So I rip a CD and then try to add it to my iPod, same as normal. Works fine on the one iPod, but the other one refuses to play tracks two to four, skips straight to track five after playing track one. Or, if I select, say, track three from the start, it skips straight to track five again. And then when I back up out of the album, it freezes up (luckily the reset thing actually works, it doesn't totally freeze). If I delete track five, it'll skip to track six instead. I've tried removing and re-adding the album half a dozen times. Like I said, it works fine on my other iPod, and every other song on the iPod works fine. Does anybody have any idea what's going on?

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-01-11, 01:37 AM
iTechnology can be screwy sometimes. The problem is definitely with the second iPod. How's its memory look (not too full?)? What I would try is a number of data-safe resets on the second iPod to get it to get past whatever error its experiencing. Has the second iPod had any other problems? Are you adding the music through iTunes? Has your iTunes been updated (very unlikely the source of the problem, but that's the first question tech support will ask)?

noparlpf
2013-01-11, 11:20 AM
iTechnology can be screwy sometimes. The problem is definitely with the second iPod. How's its memory look (not too full?)? What I would try is a number of data-safe resets on the second iPod to get it to get past whatever error its experiencing. Has the second iPod had any other problems? Are you adding the music through iTunes? Has your iTunes been updated (very unlikely the source of the problem, but that's the first question tech support will ask)?

It has about 70GB of free hard drive space. No other problems besides deteriorating battery life with age (it's a bit over four years old now, I think). Yeah, using iTunes 10.6.1.7 on Windows 7, and it's been working fine as long as I've been using it.

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-01-11, 03:55 PM
Hm, weird. Yeah, delete the music files that are giving you problems from your second iPod and do some basic resets. Most of my troubleshooting experience is from working Tech Support over a year ago on the iPhone, so I can't tell you what kind of reset options were built into the iPod besides the 'Hold Sleep/Wake and Home at the same time for a few seconds' thing. What kind of iPod is it? Have you tried contacting Apple to see what they'll say (they'll probably try to charge you as quick as they can, however)? Have you removed the album from iTunes and reinstalled it from the CD or are you just removing and re-adding the album from the iPod itself?

noparlpf
2013-01-11, 04:06 PM
Hm, weird. Yeah, delete the music files that are giving you problems from your second iPod and do some basic resets. Most of my troubleshooting experience is from working Tech Support over a year ago on the iPhone, so I can't tell you what kind of reset options were built into the iPod besides the 'Hold Sleep/Wake and Home at the same time for a few seconds' thing. What kind of iPod is it? Have you tried contacting Apple to see what they'll say (they'll probably try to charge you as quick as they can, however)? Have you removed the album from iTunes and reinstalled it from the CD or are you just removing and re-adding the album from the iPod itself?

It's an iPod Classic from a few years back. I haven't contacted Apple themselves yet because I've had bad experiences with customer support and want that to be a last resort... And yeah, I've tried removing everything from the iPod and iTunes, unplugging and resetting the iPod, re-ripping the CD. It's gotten slightly silly. Maybe I'll just give up soon.

Neftren
2013-01-12, 09:41 PM
Have you tried an alternative format/container for the audio? Re-ripping the CD won't do any good if you're just pulling the songs down again as MP3s.

Try ripping to AAC or ALAC?

AttilaTheGeek
2013-01-13, 03:57 PM
If you can get to an apple store, I've found that, though most of the "geniuses" there are really disillusioned 20-somethings with thinly veiled hatred for the customers, there is a very small chance to get a person who will take your broken ipod as a personal challenge, and do everything in their power to fix it.