PDA

View Full Version : OOTS Magic Cards Pt. 2

BillyDeeWilliam
2013-01-11, 04:05 AM
In a happy coincidence, I've recently gotten back into both OOTS (for obvious reasons) and Magic (due to being bored with video games, mostly). And, along with printing inordinate numbers of proxies, I've spent several days creating OOTS magic cards on this awesome free design program (which I recommend to everyone): http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/, and I'd really like to share some of them. I've made about eighty, but I'm only going to post versions of the OOTS itself for now and see if people feel like reading more. And yes, I am aware there was a thread on this a while ago, but it's about five years old now and according to Google there have been no other threads on OOTS magic cards (on MTG, certainly), so I don't feel like I should be posting this elsewhere. The cards are heavy on rules text and light on flavor text (none), and all of them should be considered broke as hell. No images, because I haven't bothered adding art to the cards yet (and may never).

And since it is my first post, and for the record, my name was supposed to be BillyDeeWilliams, but I didn't have enough characters. Also hope my avatar doesn't look weird. And, to those unfamiliar to MTG, Kithkin are basically hobbits; in the context, it's basically just a dumb mythology gag. Finally, these cards use some old/obscure keywords; for an extremely exhaustive account of MTG keywords, check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_keywords.

And so, without further ado, the cards:

Roy Greenhilt-2RWW

Legendary Creature-Human Soldier
Flanking, Vigilance
RR: Roy gets +2/+0 until end of turn. Use this ability only once per turn.
W: Roy gets +0/+2 until end of turn.
3RWW: Return Roy from your graveyard to play.

3/5; Note: this would be badass Roy, with diamond-price resurrection.

Roy Greenhilt-1RW

Whenever Roy Greenhilt at least two other legendary creatures attack, you choose which creatures block this combat and how those creatures block.
1RW: Legendary creatures you control gain +1/+2, flanking, vigilance, and lifelink until the end of turn. Use this ability only once per turn.

2/4; Commander Roy.

Belkar Bitterleaf-BBRRRG
Legendary Creature-Kithkin Psychopath

Double strike, trample, haste
Belkar attacks each turn if able. Belkar can’t block if you don’t control a creature named Roy Greenhilt.

5/2

Durkon Thundershield-2WW
Legendary Creature-Dwarf Cleric

W: Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player. Use this ability only if Durkon is untapped.
3WW: Regenerate target creature. Use this ability only if Durkon is untapped.
1W, T: Regenerate target creature

2/6; Medic Durkon

Durkon Thundershield-2WW

Vigilance
5WW: Durkon Thundershield gains +4/+4, trample, lifelink and is indestructible until end of turn. Use this ability only once per turn.

2/2; Thor's Might Durkon

Vaarsuvius-3UUUUU
Legendary Creature-Elf Megalomaniac

U, T, Draw two cards
XURR, T: Deal X damage divided however you choose between any number of target creatures or players.

0/1; Regular Vaarsuvius

Vaarsuvius-5BBB
Legendary Creature-Elf Horror

Flying, Fading 3
7BBB,T, exile Vaarsuvius: Exile target creature and all creatures that share a creature type with it. Creature spells of the same creature type can’t be cast.
5: Remove a fade counter from Vaarsuvius. Any player may play this ability.

6/6; Darth Vaarsuvius.

Haley Starshine-2UR
Legendary Creature-Human Rogue

Hexproof
Ninjutsu 1UR
Whenever Haley Starshine deals combat damage to a player, Haley deals four damage divided as you choose between up to two target creatures.
UR: Return Haley to your hand.

3/3

Elan the Bard-1WU
Legendary Creature-Human Moron

Vigilance
W/U, T, Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to you and to each creature you control.
Whenever Elan the Bard and at least two other legendary creatures attack, legendary creatures you control get first strike and flanking.

1/2

Elan the Dashing Swordsman-2W

Vigilance
W, T, Prevent the next one damage that would be dealt to you and each creature you control.
2W: Elan gains +2/+0 and is unblockable until the end of turn. Use this ability only once per turn.

1/2

More later, should you so desire.

Lea Plath
2013-01-11, 05:36 AM
In a happy coincidence, I've recently gotten back into both OOTS (for obvious reasons) and Magic (due to being bored with video games, mostly). And, along with printing inordinate numbers of proxies, I've spent several days creating OOTS magic cards on this awesome free design program (which I recommend to everyone): http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/, and I'd really like to share some of them. I've made about eighty, but I'm only going to post versions of the OOTS itself for now and see if people feel like reading more. And yes, I am aware there was a thread on this a while ago, but it's about five years old now and according to Google there have been no other threads on OOTS magic cards (on MTG, certainly), so I don't feel like I should be posting this elsewhere. The cards are heavy on rules text and light on flavor text (none), and all of them should be considered broke as hell. No images, because I haven't bothered adding art to the cards yet (and may never).

And since it is my first post, and for the record, my name was supposed to be BillyDeeWilliams, but I didn't have enough characters. Also hope my avatar doesn't look weird. And, to those unfamiliar to MTG, Kithkin are basically hobbits; in the context, it's basically just a dumb mythology gag. Finally, these cards use some old/obscure keywords; for an extremely exhaustive account of MTG keywords, check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_keywords.

And so, without further ado, the cards:

Roy Greenhilt-2RWW Don't like cost for his P/T.

Legendary Creature-Human Soldier I would have said he was more a warrior, but Soldier and Human are both highly relevant and useful subtypes
Flanking, Vigilance
RR: Roy gets +2/+0 until end of turn. Use this ability only once per turn. Seems weak. For a 5CMC dude, he should either be a 5/5, or have some ability that makes him amazing to justify 3/5. A +2 attack pump for RR isn't really legendary good. Also, it should be R for +1/+0 and only use it twice per turn due to fire breathing in the past
W: Roy gets +0/+2 until end of turn. Undercosted. Should be W for +0/+1
3RWW: Return Roy from your graveyard to play. Works, but I would suggest making it 2RWW

3/5; Note: this would be badass Roy, with diamond-price resurrection.

Roy Greenhilt-1RW

Whenever Roy Greenhilt at least two other legendary creatures attack, you choose which creatures block this combat and how those creatures block. Not a bad ability, similar to Odric.
1RW: Legendary creatures you control gain +1/+2, flanking, vigilance, and lifelink until the end of turn. Use this ability only once per turn. Flanking is a discontinued keyword, so I wouldn't suggest using it. And for the sheer amount of stuff you are getting here, I would personally knock the mana up a bit

2/4; Commander Roy. I would personally make his stats square. 2/2

Belkar Bitterleaf-BBRRRG Belkar isn't very black, more R/G
Legendary Creature-Kithkin Psychopath

Double strike, trample, haste All of which work, but I would drop doublestrike for first strike
Belkar attacks each turn if able. Belkar can’t block if you don’t control a creature named Roy Greenhilt. The Belkar can't block thing isn't relevant, if he attacks each turn. Also, I would put Belkar firmly into the G/R territory. He is a sexy shoeless god of war, not a sexy shoeless god of death

5/2

Durkon Thundershield-2WW

W: Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player. Use this ability only if Durkon is untapped.
3WW: Regenerate target creature. Use this ability only if Durkon is untapped. Too expensive to really be useable. I would put it down to 2W

2/6; Medic Durkon

Durkon Thundershield-2WW

Vigilance
5WW: Durkon Thundershield gains +4/+4, trample, lifelink and is indestructible until end of turn. Use this ability only once per turn. I would push this ability down to 4-5 mana to make it playable
1W, T: Regenerate target creature Lose the tap and that works

2/2; Thor's Might Durkon

Vaarsuvius-3UUUUU
Legendary Creature-Elf Megalomaniac

U, T, Draw two cards Arcanis the Omnipotent is 3UUU and taps to draw 3 cards. I would change the cost, make him a 2UUU and have him tap to draw 2, no cost.
XURR, T: Deal X damage divided however you choose between any number of target creatures or players. If he is to have a red ability, he should reflect it in his cost. Maybe 3UUR?

0/1; Regular Vaarsuvius He needs a better body for his cost. I know he is meant to be a squishy wizard, but wizards can go boom too. I would suggest making him a 3/4. That way he is just out of bolt range.

Vaarsuvius-5BBB
Legendary Creature-Elf Horror

Flying, Fading 3 Fading is another discontinued keyword.
7BBB,T, exile Vaarsuvius: Exile target creature and all creatures that share a creature type with it. Creature spells of the same creature type can’t be cast. Too costly for what it is. What is basically is a 12BBBBBB tribal hoser. I would cut the cost down, to about 5BB. Then it is somewhat playable. See Iona, who hoses 1 entire colour (a far more powerful ability) and she is 9 mana total, with a 7/7 body.
5: Remove a fade counter from Vaarsuvius. Any player may play this ability.
Not a fan of this ability. Simply because in response, they can exile Vaarsuvius and use his ability.
6/6; Darth Vaarsuvius. Body, perfect. Keep as is.

Haley Starshine-2UR
Legendary Creature-Human Rogue

Hexproof
Ninjutsu 1UR
Whenever Haley Starshine deals combat damage to a player, Haley deals four damage divided as you choose between up to two target creatures.
UR: Return Haley to your hand.
Can't really see anything wrong with this, but maybe drop the Hexproof. UR really negates a need for hexproof.
3/3

Elan the Bard-1WU Elan seems monowhite to me

Vigilance
W/U, T, Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to you and to each creature you control. I would rather it be W/U no tap. Or just W. That way you can use both his abilities.
Whenever Elan the Bard and at least two other legendary creatures attack, legendary creatures you control get first strike and flanking. Battalion, basically. Seen the new set?

1/2

Elan the Dashing Swordsman-2W

Vigilance
W, T, Prevent the next one damage that would be dealt to you and each creature you control. See above.
2W: Elan gains +2/+0 and is unblockable until the end of turn. Use this ability only once per turn. I would rather he got +2 and first strike.

1/2

More later, should you so desire.

Comments in Red.

BillyDeeWilliam
2013-01-11, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the input, and I'm implementing most of your suggestions. The following are of my favorites, thus far. Predictably, they're some of the most broken.

Hank, General Counsel-UUB (R?)
Legendary Creature-Kithkin Attorney

Whenever Hank deals combat damage to a player, put a fine print counter on Hank.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Hank has three or more fine print counters, target player discards two cards and loses two life, and you draw two cards and gain two life. Remove all fine print counters.

1/3; Mob lawyer Hank. I was also thinking I might call them intimidation or muscle counters.

Hank, Guild Seneschal-UUB
Legendary Creature-Kithkin Rogue

You may have all damage that would be dealt to Hank be dealt to target Flunky instead.
Whenever Hank attacks with at least two Flunkies, Hank is unblockable.

2/2; Hank has reserves. Also created a sorcery called Fighter Outreach that makes 3/3 black/red trample Flunkies.

Lien, Marine Commander-WUU
Legendary Creature-Samurai Marine

Flash, first strike, vigilance
As long as you control a creature named Razor, Lien gets +2/+2 and islandwalk
Other Marines you control get +1/+1 and islandwalk.

2/2; I love Lien, and as such I've made her completely, ridiculously broke. With all of her other accoutrements, I think she's an 8/8 double strike, vigilance, islandwalker. The Marine thing I made up, but I think it fits. And it let me create a new blue/white Marine tribe (they all have flash :smallbiggrin:), which was fun.

Razor-1U
Legendary Creature-Shark Spirit

Flash, islandwalk
As long as you control a creature named Lien, Razor costs 1 less to cast.
U: Regenerate Razor

2/1; Also nuts.

Soon Kim, Spirit Lord-3WWWWW
Legendary Creature-Samurai Spirit

Bushido 12, defender, flash, flying
Vanishing 3
Soon Kim is indestructible and may block any number of creatures.
6WWW: Put five 2/2 white Samurai Spirit creature tokens with lifelink and vanishing 3 onto the battlefield. Use this ability only once.

8/8; That's right. 20/20 indestructible blocker. Blame it on my brother, who's playing a Selesnya deck that likes to kill me with 8/8 trample wurms.

Next up, Thanh, Resistance Leader, Elven Commando, Kazumi, Lady Kato, O-Chul, Lord Commander, and Hinjo, Azure Lord.

BobVosh
2013-01-11, 10:48 AM
702.23. Flanking

702.23a Flanking is a triggered ability that triggers during the declare blockers step. (See rule 509, "Declare Blockers Step.") "Flanking" means "Whenever this creature becomes blocked by a creature without flanking, the blocking creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn."

702.23b If a creature has multiple instances of flanking, each triggers separately.

702.30. Fading

702.30a Fading is a keyword that represents two abilities. "Fading N" means "This permanent enters the battlefield with N fade counters on it" and "At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a fade counter from this permanent. If you can't, sacrifice the permanent."

Still in the rules on the wizard website, both are still around.

Lea Plath
2013-01-11, 12:08 PM
702.23. Flanking

702.23a Flanking is a triggered ability that triggers during the declare blockers step. (See rule 509, "Declare Blockers Step.") "Flanking" means "Whenever this creature becomes blocked by a creature without flanking, the blocking creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn."

702.23b If a creature has multiple instances of flanking, each triggers separately.

702.30. Fading

702.30a Fading is a keyword that represents two abilities. "Fading N" means "This permanent enters the battlefield with N fade counters on it" and "At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a fade counter from this permanent. If you can't, sacrifice the permanent."

Still in the rules on the wizard website, both are still around.

The rules are there, yes. But they mechanics are not going to be done again outside a nostalgia set.

Also, I will feed back on the other stuff later.

endoperez
2013-01-11, 02:53 PM
Hayley's damage-dealing ability triggers automatically and must deal damage to creatures. If enemy has no creatures, she has to target YOUR creatures. The hexproof at least ensures she won't kill herself.

Did you do that on purpose? Just wondering.

BillyDeeWilliam
2013-01-11, 03:14 PM
Not exactly. Haley's ability deals 4 damage divided as you choose between UP TO two target creatures. You can choose zero creatures.

Hinjo, Azure Lord-1WWU
Legendary Creature-Samurai Lord

Bushido 2, Vigilance
Samurai and soldiers you control get +2/+0 and first strike.

1/3

O-Chul, Lord Commander-5WW

Bushido 4, Vigilance
O-Chul is indestructible. O-Chul may block any number of attacking creatures.
Samurai and soldiers you control gain +0/+2 and lifelink.

3/6

Kazumi, Lady Kato-2WW
Legendary Creature-Human Lady

Trample
W, T, Put a 0/1 indestructible white Baby creature token with shroud onto the battlefield.
For each Baby you control, Kazumi gets +1/+0.

1/4

Thanh, Resistance Leader-2WU
Legendary Creature-Samurai Insurgent

Bushido 2, envelop (Whenever this creature blocks a creature without envelop, the blocked creature gets -1/-1)
Thanh may block any number of creatures.
Insurgents you control get +0/+2, flash and flanking.

2/3; Insurgents are another new tribe I made up. Still working on them. Envelop I also made up. It's just flanking for blockers.

Elven Commando-2UR
Creature-Elf Warrior

Flanking, flanking, wither
Elven Commando can’t be blocked by fewer than three creatures.
Elven Commando can’t be the target of instant spells your opponents control.

3/1; Flanking is cumulative, so when you block the Commando with three creatures, each one gets -2/-2.

Next up, Miko, Redcloak, Xykon, Right-Eye, Kubota, and Therkla.

endoperez
2013-01-11, 05:28 PM
Not exactly. Haley's ability deals 4 damage divided as you choose between UP TO two target creatures. You can choose zero creatures.

Euurrgh. That makes sense, in a MTG rules way.
Thanks for the correction though.

Lea Plath
2013-01-11, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the input, and I'm implementing most of your suggestions. The following are of my favorites, thus far. Predictably, they're some of the most broken.

Hank, General Counsel-UUB (R?)
Legendary Creature-Kithkin Attorney

Whenever Hank deals combat damage to a player, put a fine print counter on Hank.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Hank has three or more fine print counters, target player discards two cards and loses two life, and you draw two cards and gain two life. Remove all fine print counters.

1/3; Mob lawyer Hank. I was also thinking I might call them intimidation or muscle counters.This is a nice card. Rather flavourful. I would put it at UB though. A similar type of card exists, Sygg, River Cuttthroat, and he is U/B U/B with a more powerful effect.

Hank, Guild Seneschal-UUB
This...well...works, balance wise. More battalion, my only suggestion would be changing flunkies something else, like Minions.
However, UB is not the colour of working together, and I would look at a different mechanic or colour for him. Remember, white is orderly, not nice. WU could work better. Or even Esper.
You may have all damage that would be dealt to Hank be dealt to target Flunky instead.
Whenever Hank attacks with at least two Flunkies, Hank is unblockable.

2/2; Hank has reserves. Also created a sorcery called Fighter Outreach that makes 3/3 black/red trample Flunkies.

Lien, Marine Commander-WUU
Legendary Creature-Samurai Marine

Flash, first strike, vigilance
As long as you control a creature named Razor, Lien gets +2/+2 and islandwalk
Other Marines you control get +1/+1 and islandwalk.

2/2; I love Lien, and as such I've made her completely, ridiculously broke. With all of her other accoutrements, I think she's an 8/8 double strike, vigilance, islandwalker. The Marine thing I made up, but I think it fits. And it let me create a new blue/white Marine tribe (they all have flash :smallbiggrin:), which was fun. I would suggest actually making Marines Soldiers. There is no real need for the differentiation (besides fun) and Soldiers are a relevant creature type. U/W soldiers are also known to have flash.

I would also drop some of her bonuses. If she gets double strike, why bother with first strike. It just makes issues. A flash and vigilance UWW would be less confusing and also more colour pienessiness.

And I would disagree about her being broken. Requring multiple cards for a big creature isn't a problem. Look at the station cycle from Mirridion. Get all into play, you win, basically.

Razor-1U
Legendary Creature-Shark Spirit

Flash, islandwalk
As long as you control a creature named Lien, Razor costs 1 less to cast.
U: Regenerate Razor I don't like regenerate on a U creature. However, why not give it U, return to hand. This is both a blue ability, and more useful as it lets it avoid removal, and could be thematic of Razor going back to his plane-thingy.

2/1; Also nuts.

Soon Kim, Spirit Lord-3WWWWW
Legendary Creature-Samurai Spirit

Bushido 12, defender, flash, flying
Vanishing 3
Soon Kim is indestructible and may block any number of creatures.
6WWW: Put five 2/2 white Samurai Spirit creature tokens with lifelink and vanishing 3 onto the battlefield. Use this ability only once. Yeah. This card is...well...fun. It brings out the Timmy in me, but the Spike in me says no :/ There is already a card like this, and he has the bonus of being able to attack. Lords as a creature type have also stopped being used, and generally denotes them buffing a creature type. I would possible turn him into a Samurai lord? No flash, no defender, no flying, but Bushido, buffing Samurai and maybe when a Samurai dies, make a spirit samurai token with bushido 1? Also, fading on a token is not good. Too much to keep track of.

8/8; That's right. 20/20 indestructible blocker. Blame it on my brother, who's playing a Selesnya deck that likes to kill me with 8/8 trample wurms.

Next up, Thanh, Resistance Leader, Elven Commando, Kazumi, Lady Kato, O-Chul, Lord Commander, and Hinjo, Azure Lord.

Hinjo, Azure Lord-1WWU

Bushido 2, Vigilance
Samurai and soldiers you control get +2/+0 and first strike. ;Lords tend to give square bonuses (+1/+1) with some exceptions. I would also suggest him not buffing them both. Soldiers honestly seems better for this. Infact, soldiers for possible all the Azure Guard and the like (They are Paladins, not Samurai after all for all their eastern influences and gods, and they are soldiers as well). He also doesn't seem very blue, so I would drop the blue totally. Have him be 1WW.

1/3

O-Chul, Lord Commander-5WW

Bushido 4, Vigilance
O-Chul is indestructible. O-Chul may block any number of attacking creatures.
Samurai and soldiers you control gain +0/+2 and lifelink. Same about squareness and types. I also don't like Indestructible and block any number of creatures. They just shut down aggro and creature based decks totally and aren't really interactive.

3/6

Kazumi, Lady Kato-2WW
Legendary Creature-Human Lady

Trample
W, T, Put a 0/1 indestructible white Baby creature token with shroud onto the battlefield.
For each Baby you control, Kazumi gets +1/+0.
Now...I'm unsure what to say about this. Mostly squick at being able to go Sever the Bloodline, Sword to Plowshares, Tragic Slip, Fume Spitter, Path to Exile ect on a baby. Also, white isn't really a trampley colour

1/4

Thanh, Resistance Leader-2WU
Legendary Creature-Samurai Insurgent

Bushido 2, envelop (Whenever this creature blocks a creature without envelop, the blocked creature gets -1/-1)
Thanh may block any number of creatures.
Insurgents you control get +0/+2, flash and flanking.

2/3; Insurgents are another new tribe I made up. Still working on them. Envelop I also made up. It's just flanking for blockers. I like new tribes. Has it got anything besides Envelop? I also would suggest dropping the block any number of creatures and flanking, and bushido. It makes combat a mess as you have all these abilities flying around

Elven Commando-2UR
Creature-Elf Warrior

Flanking, flanking, wither
Elven Commando can’t be blocked by fewer than three creatures.
Elven Commando can’t be the target of instant spells your opponents control.

3/1; Flanking is cumulative, so when you block the Commando with three creatures, each one gets -2/-2 Nothing really to say here. I might suggest dropping the can't be blocked by and giving it pure hexproof..

Next up, Miko, Redcloak, Xykon, Right-Eye, Kubota, and Therkla.

Comment in red.

Androgeus
2013-01-11, 09:34 PM
Someone appears to really like flanking.

BillyDeeWilliam
2013-01-11, 11:23 PM
Yeah, Kazumi and that version of Soon were mostly just me messing around, but I enjoyed them. And yes, I love flanking. For one, I think it's just a cool mechanic (sort of like firstest strike, since the -1/-1 is applied immediately). I'm changing Lien to buff blue soldiers and removing first strike. I'm also changing Hinjo to buff soldiers for +1/+1 and vigilance, and O-Chul to buff samurai (or paladins, which I agree is truer to the comics) for +1/+1 and first strike. O-Chul is also losing indestructibility for Persist (where he comes back from the dead once with a -1/-1 counter), and only gets to block three creatures (Thanh now blocks normally, and gives Insurgents vigilance). Insurgents I'm still kinda stumped on. Other than envelop, I was considering making their mechanic Persist (in which case I'd change Thanh to give +1/+1), or giving them Wither (to simulate constant, small attacks, permanently reducing effectiveness), or maybe even Prowl, which lets you cast spells for less if you've dealt damage to a player that turn (i.e. success leads to more Azurites joining the resistance). Something to simulate their being, well, an insurgency. One thing, though, that I do disagree about is Hank and flunkies. Check out comic 604.

More cards in my next post to keep this one from getting too long.

BillyDeeWilliam
2013-01-11, 11:48 PM
Miko Miyazaki-2WW
Legendary Creature-Human Samurai

Bushido 2
Protection from black and from red
WW, T, Destroy target black or red creature. It can’t be regenerated

3/3; Smite Evil Miko

Miko, Sapphire Captain-2WW

Bushido 2
Double strike, vigilance

2/2; Badass Miko

Redcloak, Chosen One-3RRR
Legendary Creature-Goblin Lord

Other goblins you control get +2/+2, haste, and trample.
2RR, T, Put X 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens into play, where X is half the number of goblins you control, rounded down.
1RR: Regenerate target goblin.

3/3; Post-Gobbotopia Redcloak

Redcloak, Prophet-2RR
Legendary Creature-Goblin Cleric

R: Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player. Use this ability only if Redcloak is untapped.
1R, T, Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
1RR, T, Regenerate target goblin.

2/2; Cleric Redcloak, with Disintegrate.

Xykon, Lich Lord-4BBR
Legendary Creature-Lich

4R, T, Deal 5 damage divided however you choose between any number of target creatures or players.
1BB: Return Xykon from your graveyard to your hand.
As long as you control Xykon, creatures you control attack each turn if able.

6/6

Right-Eye, Goblin Captain
Legendary Creature-Goblin Rogue

Hexproof
Ninjutsu 1RR
When Right-Eye enters the battlefield, target player discards two cards at random from his or her hand.
2RR: Return Right-Eye to your hand.

4/2

Kubota, Azure Daimyo-1WUB
Legendary Creature-Human Lord

1WUB, T: Target opponent puts the top ten cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
WUB: Search you library for a card named Therkla, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.

1/2

Therkla, Half-Orc Assassin-BRRG
Legendary Creature-Half-Orc Rogue

Ninjutsu BRG
Therkla is unblockable.
As long as you control Kubota, Therkla has Poisonous 2

2/2; I know the colors make Therkla unplayable with Kubota, and if these cards were for play, I'd probably just make Therkla blue-black.

Next up, the Order of the Scribble.

Lea Plath
2013-01-12, 06:49 AM
I'm liking the changes you suggested, but you can't give them Prowl, because Prowl only works with Rogues. If there is prowl for both of them, it would be a little crazy.

May I suggest you have a look at the tribes from the Lorywn/Shadowmoor sets. They did tribes of assassins, wizards, druids, soldiers, etc. If you were to kind of take those mechanics and expand on them, that could really work.

For example, Azure Guard, soldiers, strength in numbers, there is some stuff to support them in L/SM already, why not expand on the tribe.

Rogues are rogues and you could really expand on that. I always felt prowl was underused. But this would mean less unblockable.

Miko Miyazaki-2WW

Bushido 2
WW, T, Destroy target black or red creature. It can’t be regenerated

3/3; Smite Evil Miko Works. I like it. But I would drop the Bushido or swap it for something like Vigilance.

Miko, Sapphire Captain-2WW

Bushido 2
Double strike, vigilance
I would make this 1WWW or WWWW to justify the mini Akromaness
2/2; Badass Miko

Redcloak, Chosen One-3RRR
Legendary Creature-Goblin Lord

Other goblins you control get +2/+2, haste, and trample.
2RR, T, Put X 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens into play, where X is half the number of goblins you control, rounded down.
1RR: Regenerate target goblin.
So. He is basically Mad Auntie, Goblin Chieftan and Krenko rolled into one. I guess for his cost he works but I would do him a 3RB and turn the regenerate to 1B.
3/3; Post-Gobbotopia Redcloak

Redcloak, Prophet-2RR
Legendary Creature-Goblin Cleric

R: Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player. Use this ability only if Redcloak is untapped. Red does not prevent damage. Red deals it.
1R, T, Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
1RR, T, Regenerate target goblin. Not a fan of the 2 tap abilities on this. Cause you are gonna want to be bolting them all the time and plus, red and regenerate. I would possibly suggest redoing this as maybe a 1R. Tap Redclock and 2 untapped goblins you control. Deal 3 damage to target creature or player. Then it becomes like a mini Lavamancer.

2/2; Cleric Redcloak, with Disintegrate.

Xykon, Lich Lord-4BBR Not so keen on the colours. Xykon would have some blue in there, so maybe 4UBR. This also pushes him into the Nico Bolas levels of cost and I don't feel his abilities are strong enough
Legendary Creature-Lich

4R, T, Deal 5 damage divided however you choose between any number of target creatures or players. Not a fan, cause for his cost, I would want more than pay 5 for a bit of damage and a meh body with no evasion. I would either drop the cost of this and keep the tap (lets say 3 mana) or remove the tap part of this
1BB: Return Xykon from your graveyard to your hand. Very black, I like it.
As long as you control Xykon, creatures you control attack each turn if able. Losing control of your creatures ain't fun

6/6

Right-Eye, Goblin Captain
Legendary Creature-Goblin Rogue

Hexproof
Ninjutsu 1RR So he has no cost and has to be ninjitused in. That works.
When Right-Eye enters the battlefield, target player discards two cards at random from his or her hand. While red does do randomness, discard is a firmly black colour. I would rather it let you do a looting effect (draw a card, discard a card)
2RR: Return Right-Eye to your hand.

4/2

Kubota, Azure Daimyo-1WUB

1WUB, T: Target opponent puts the top ten cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
WUB: Search you library for a card named Therkla, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.

1/2 This card is just so...meh. A body that dies to a shock. A tap ability. And white doesn't do mill, so I would personally drop the white totally

Therkla, Half-Orc Assassin-BRRG
Legendary Creature-Half-Orc Rogue

Ninjutsu BRG
Therkla is unblockable.
As long as you control Kubota, Therkla has Poisonous 2

2/2; I know the colors make Therkla unplayable with Kubota, and if these cards were for play, I'd probably just make Therkla blue-black.

Unblockable with poisonous seems good, even for the cost, but it is just...meh. Not really good but not really bad.

Next up, the Order of the Scribble.

Androgeus
2013-01-12, 10:10 AM
I'm liking the changes you suggested, but you can't give them Prowl, because Prowl only works with Rogues. If there is prowl for both of them, it would be a little crazy.
Prowl cares about what creature type the thing with prowl is.

702.74a Prowl is a static ability that functions on the stack. “Prowl [cost]” means “You may pay
[cost] rather than pay this spell’s mana cost if a player was dealt combat damage this turn by a source that, at the time it dealt that damage, was under your control and had any of this spell’s creature types.” Paying a spell’s prowl cost follows the rules for paying alternative costs in rules
601.2b and 601.2e–g. I think it's only the sorceries with prowl that are care solely about Rogues
I'll admit that prowl as it is named only really makes sense on stealthy things, but that's the price for making mechanics flavourful.

If you like making Magic cards BillyDeeWilliam, we do have a thread that runs a weekly(ish) contest to make a card based around a certain theme here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233854), that you may want to check out.

BillyDeeWilliam
2013-01-12, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I left out Right-Eye's cost by accident. He's 2RR. Xykon was originally stronger, but I thought he might be too strong; he had 7RR, T: Deal 10 damage divided as you choose between any number of target creatures or players, for a true meteor swarm. And I know attacking each turn isn't fun, but I think it fits with Xykon's rather ill-advised aggressiveness, and since most of your creatures in a Team Evil deck would be goblins, you'd probably be attacking each turn anyway, especially with Redcloak churning them out. Oh, and he's actually 7/7. That was a mistake.

And now, the Order of the Scribble:

Soon Kim, Azure Lord-3WWW

Bushido 5, defender, lifelink.
1WW: Put a 2/2 white Samurai creature token with bushido 1 and vigilance onto the battlefield. Use this ability no more than twice per turn.

4/4; Live Soon

Dorukan, Master Abjurer-1WUU
Legendary Creature-Human Wizard

1WU: Return target creature to its owner's hand.
1WU, T: Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3.

0/4

Girard Draketooth-2UR
Legendary Creature-Dragonblood Wizard

Flash, haste
UR: Girard gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
UR, T: Exile target permanent you control. Return that permanent to the battlefield under your control during your next upkeep.

3/3

Kraagor, Berserker-3RR
Legendary Creature-Dwarf Berserker

Trample, haste
Kraagor attacks each turn if able.
Frenzy 3

5/4

Serini Toormuck-2GW

Ninjutsu 1GW
When Serini enters the battlefield, target creature gets +4/+4 and trample.
3GW: Return Serini to your hand.

2/2; I'm not a huge fan of her ability, but I couldn't think of anything else I hadn't already done with my other rogues (who all have ninjutsu, which you've probably figured out) or that fit with her colors.

Lirian, Glade Protector-2GG
Legendary Creature-Elf Druid

2GG, T: Put a 3/3 green Werebear creature token with trample onto the battlefield.
2G: Elves and green creatures you control get +1/+1 and trample until end of turn.

2/2

Next up, miscellaneous rogues (ninjas), Niu, Celia, Mr. Jones, Mr. Rodriguez, and the MitD.

BillyDeeWilliam
2013-01-15, 04:10 AM
Niu, Insurgent Lieutenant-WU
Legendary Creature-Insurgent Rogue

Ninjutsu W/U, envelop (Whenever this creature blocks a creature without envelop, the blocked creature gets -1/-1)
Whenever Niu deals damage to a player, draw a card.
WU: Return Niu to your hand.

1/1

Celia, Defense Counsel-WUU
Legendary Creature-Sylph Attorney

Flying
At the beginning each upkeep, put a filibuster counter on Celia.
Remove two filibuster counters: Target creature is indestructible until end of turn.

1/2

Rodriguez, Juris Doctor-WR
Legendary Creature-Human Attorney

At the beginning of your upkeep, put a Giant Boot counter on Rodriguez
Remove two Giant Boot counters: Exile target permanent. When Rodriguez leaves play, return all permanents exiled this way to the battlefield under their owner’s control.

0/3

Jones, Prosecutor-WU

T: Tap target creature and put a Restraining Order counter on that creature. As long as a creature has a restraining order counter, it does not untap during its owner’s untap step. When Jones leaves the battlefield, remove all Restraining Order counters.

0/3; I wanted to make it so that you could only have three restraining orders out at a time, but I couldn't do it without making this card ridiculous texty (it's already bad), so if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. My first idea was to have this: If there are ever more than three Restraining Order counters on the battlefield, remove Restraining Order counters until you have three or fewer.

The Monster in the Darkness-2GG
Legendary Creature-Nameless Horror

Trample, indestructible
The MitD comes into play with 14 -1/-1 counters on it. It cannot attack if it has more than 5 -1/-1 counters on it.
2: Remove a -1/-1 counter from the MitD.
4: T MitD. Any player may play this ability.

15/15

I know I promised some miscellaneous ninjas, there's only one left as of right now, and he's part of Team Peregrine, so here's Daigo instead. He's a little boring.

Daigo, Lord Kato-2WW

As long as you control Daigo and Kazumi, both get +2/+2

3/2

Next up, the rest of Team Peregrine. And, as for Insurgents, I think I will be going with Prowl, just with Insurgents instead of goblins as the triggering creature type (though maybe for goblins too). Obviously, though, I didn't give Prowl to Niu, since she's already a ninja, and having both would be extremely redundant.

Lea Plath
2013-01-16, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I left out Right-Eye's cost by accident. He's 2RR. Xykon was originally stronger, but I thought he might be too strong; he had 7RR, T: Deal 10 damage divided as you choose between any number of target creatures or players, for a true meteor swarm. And I know attacking each turn isn't fun, but I think it fits with Xykon's rather ill-advised aggressiveness, and since most of your creatures in a Team Evil deck would be goblins, you'd probably be attacking each turn anyway, especially with Redcloak churning them out. Oh, and he's actually 7/7. That was a mistake.

And now, the Order of the Scribble:

Soon Kim, Azure Lord-3WWW

Bushido 5, defender, lifelink.
1WW: Put a 2/2 white Samurai creature token with bushido 1 and vigilance onto the battlefield. Use this ability no more than twice per turn.

4/4; Live Soon Looks pretty good but I would personally remove defender so he can take advtange of both sides of bushido and smite evil!

Dorukan, Master Abjurer-1WUU
Legendary Creature-Human Wizard

1WU: Return target creature to its owner's hand.
1WU, T: Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3.

0/4 Seems fine. Would personally drop the counter cost down to U and tap and the pay 3 to pay 2, cause people won't pay 1WU for a mana leak, especially when it is attched to poor body. Otherwise, fine.

Girard Draketooth-2UR
Legendary Creature-Dragonblood Wizard

Flash, haste Seems fine.
UR: Girard gets +1/+0 until end of turn. Seems fine. Dropping it to R would make it fit with current fire breathing effects
UR, T: Exile target permanent you control. Return that permanent to the battlefield under your control during your next upkeep. Not very red. I would rather it bounced to hand, or did damage based on how much power Girard had (so it could be UR tap for a bolt. Or UR tap and lots more Rs for a kill spell

3/3

Kraagor, Berserker-3RR
Legendary Creature-Dwarf Berserker

Trample, haste
Kraagor attacks each turn if able.
Frenzy 3

5/4

Serini Toormuck-2GW

Ninjutsu 1GW
When Serini enters the battlefield, target creature gets +4/+4 and trample.
3GW: Return Serini to your hand.

2/2; I'm not a huge fan of her ability, but I couldn't think of anything else I hadn't already done with my other rogues (who all have ninjutsu, which you've probably figured out) or that fit with her colors. Hmm. So for 1GW you are getting 6 damage through generally. Seems quite good. I would also drop the return to hand cost, cause playing her once as a sneak attack would be good, and maybe giving her ability on damage, such as when she deals damage, you gain life or put a +1/+1 on a creature.

Lirian, Glade Protector-2GG
Legendary Creature-Elf Druid

2GG, T: Put a 3/3 green Werebear creature token with trample onto the battlefield. I am a bit sick of seeing tap costs. With a tap this is quite meh. Without a tap, it is playable.
2G: Elves and green creatures you control get +1/+1 and trample until end of turn. I would change it to just green creatures. There are 15 not white elves and it cleans it up a bit

2/2

Next up, miscellaneous rogues (ninjas), Niu, Celia, Mr. Jones, Mr. Rodriguez, and the MitD.

Niu, Insurgent Lieutenant-WU
Legendary Creature-Insurgent Rogue

Ninjutsu W/U, envelop (Whenever this creature blocks a creature without envelop, the blocked creature gets -1/-1)
Whenever Niu deals damage to a player, draw a card.
WU: Return Niu to your hand. Don't feel it needs this. But what this here is is a better ninja of the deep hours.

1/1

Celia, Defense Counsel-WUU
Legendary Creature-Sylph Attorney

Flying
At the beginning each upkeep, put a filibuster counter on Celia.
Remove two filibuster counters: Target creature is indestructible until end of turn. Dislike the filibuster counter here, just cause they are used on another card and there are shennanigans there. The most obvious being Fate Transfer.

1/2

Rodriguez, Juris Doctor-WR

At the beginning of your upkeep, put a Giant Boot counter on Rodriguez
Remove two Giant Boot counters: Exile target permanent. When Rodriguez leaves play, return all permanents exiled this way to the battlefield under their owner’s control. Good. Fun. I like.

0/3

Jones, Prosecutor-WU

T: Tap target creature and put a Restraining Order counter on that creature. As long as a creature has a restraining order counter, it does not untap during its owner’s untap step. When Jones leaves the battlefield, remove all Restraining Order counters. Seems like a better Gwafa Hazid (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=185811).

0/3; I wanted to make it so that you could only have three restraining orders out at a time, but I couldn't do it without making this card ridiculous texty (it's already bad), so if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. My first idea was to have this: If there are ever more than three Restraining Order counters on the battlefield, remove Restraining Order counters until you have three or fewer.

The Monster in the Darkness-2GG I think it should be black, personally
Legendary Creature-Nameless Horror

Trample, indestructible
The MitD comes into play with 14 -1/-1 counters on it. It cannot attack if it has more than 5 -1/-1 counters on it.
2: Remove a -1/-1 counter from the MitD.
4: T MitD. Any player may play this ability.

15/15

I know I promised some miscellaneous ninjas, there's only one left as of right now, and he's part of Team Peregrine, so here's Daigo instead. He's a little boring.

Daigo, Lord Kato-2WW

As long as you control Daigo and Kazumi, both get +2/+2

3/2

Next up, the rest of Team Peregrine. And, as for Insurgents, I think I will be going with Prowl, just with Insurgents instead of goblins as the triggering creature type (though maybe for goblins too). Obviously, though, I didn't give Prowl to Niu, since she's already a ninja, and having both would be extremely redundant.

Same as before.

pwning doodes
2013-02-10, 09:23 PM
I think the MitD should be colorless, and its creature type should be some version of ??? (For example: Mystery, Unknown, Secret Weapon, Monster, etc.). We don't really know enough about MitD to give it a creature type. However, color is debatable. I would like to know why you think MitD is green, and why you, Lea, think MitD is black (actual coloring aside :smallsmile:)

Three cheers for :mitd:!

Landis963
2013-02-11, 01:54 AM
Prowl, as worded on the various Lorwyn cards it appears on, triggers when you deal damage with that shares a creature type with the card you're casting for its prowl cost. Not in those exact words, of course, but Team Peregrine's reminder text should be something along the lines of "(You may cast this for its prowl cost if you dealt combat damage to a player this turn with an Insurgent or [insert creature type here].) Also, there is an established creature type that is identical to "Insurgent", that would be "Rebel (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?type=+[Rebel]||subtype=+[Rebel])", as appearing in Mercadian Masques, Time Spiral, and a couple other places.