PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 update for Spelldancer?

Yaitanos
2013-01-11, 06:40 AM
This class looks amazing, but is when examined closer turns out to be rather terrible. A human with two flaws could easily get into this class by level 6 by taking the able learner feat at 1st level and the last of the prerequisite feats at 3rd. Then taking a metamagic feat at 6th, and perhaps one at 5th if they are playing a wizard. But honestly it would make more sense for them to either be a sorcerer or a bard so they can focus on Charisma which a key ability for the spelldancer's class features. Meaning of course that they couldn't get into the class till 7th level in case of sorcs, and 8th in case of bards.

Rambling aside, it doesn't make much sense to me that a class that is all about applying metamagic feats wouldn't require the player to have any kind of metamagic feat. I get the reason for the prereqs, I just don't see it as very practical.

Did they by chance reprint this prestige class with a few changes to it?

Debihuman
2013-01-11, 07:03 AM
There is errata for it on WotC's site.

Page 37: After Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Spells per Day/Spells Known: At each spelldancer
level, the character gains new spells per day (and spells
known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in
a spellcasting class to which she belonged before adding
the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any
other benefit a character of that class would have gained
(improved chance of turning or destroying undead,
metamagic or item creation feats, and so on).
If the character had more than one spellcasting class
before becoming a spelldancer, the player must decide to
which class to add each spelldancer level for the purpose
of determining spells per day when she adds the new
level.

Page 38: Enthralling Dance
Change: vocal component
To: verbal component

Page 38: Just above Enthralling Dance
Add the following just above Enthralling Dance:
If a spelldancer's Constitution modifier decreases so that
she has exceeded the number of rounds she could safely
spelldance, she must immediately make a successful
Fortitude save for every round of excess spelldancing;
each failure deals the above penalties.

kardar233
2013-01-11, 01:24 PM
This class looks amazing, but is when examined closer turns out to be rather terrible.

Spelldancer becomes one of the more powerful PrCs in the game when combined with Persistent Spell.

Amnestic
2013-01-11, 01:47 PM
Spelldancer becomes one of the more powerful PrCs in the game when combined with Persistent Spell.

Find a way to be immune to fatigue and Con damage (Necropolitan comes to mind?) and you're pretty much set.

kardar233
2013-01-11, 01:54 PM
Or you could just cast Sheltered Vitality.

Larkas
2013-01-11, 02:03 PM
Or lesser restoration.

kardar233
2013-01-11, 02:05 PM
Or lesser restoration.

Ehh, lesser restoration will get you Persisting a couple of things. Sheltered Vitality will get you Persisting all the things.

Larkas
2013-01-11, 02:15 PM
Indeed. But if you have the necessary UMD, you can get a wand and save your spells. :smallsmile: ...Or is sheltered vitality of a low enough level to fit in wands? Can't say I remember that spell. :smalleek:

kardar233
2013-01-11, 02:22 PM
Sheltered Vitality is in SpC, and is Clr4/Drd4, so it'll fit in a wand. :smallamused:

Larkas
2013-01-11, 02:55 PM
Then that will work just fine! :smallredface:

Yaitanos
2013-01-11, 06:57 PM

Right, but for a class that is so easy to get into, you gain no benefit from doing so at the earliest level. It's better to save it for a higher level when you have a meta magic feat to use with the class.

sreservoir
2013-01-12, 12:32 AM
Right, but for a class that is so easy to get into, you gain no benefit from doing so at the earliest level. It's better to save it for a higher level when you have a meta magic feat to use with the class.

you get to persist all your spells by 6th level with a lot of feats spent ?? I'm not sure how that's no benefit.

(I mean, actually having all the necessary feats by 5th level is super-impractical, I'd peg it more to be taken after 9th, but, well, you can get metamagic bonus feats from places. planning domain, perhaps, and metamagic storm, perhaps, and ...)