PDA

View Full Version : PF Barbarian Summoner

Clericzilla
2013-01-11, 01:54 PM
Ok so really I just want to know if anyone has played this or if someone could tell me how feasible this is...

Barbarian (Mounted Fury) + Summoner (Quadruped/Serpent Mount Eidolon)

How good of a multiclass character could you make with this? I was thinking of a Con/Cha based Barbarian who uses Intimidate (dazzling display) and lets the Eidolon do the fighting (while raging).

A friend and I are making a group of "Barbarian Knights" (long story...ish) and 5 of them will be multiclass barbarians.

EDIT: Just realized it is the Rage Power that matters not really the Archetype... haha... The Archetype works though... And will give a animal companion..

Edge of Dreams
2013-01-11, 02:30 PM
Multiclassing Summoner doesn't work very well, because your Eidolon only gains Hit Dice when you gain Summoner levels. A level 20 Summoner has a 15 HD Eidolon, but a Summoner 10/Barbarian 10 (for example) would only have a much weaker 8 HD Eidolon, which wouldn't be able to contribute much against CR 20 foes.

Also, in order to be ride-able as a mount, your Eidolon must be one size category larger than you. That requires either being a Small character (halfling barbarian?), taking the Large Size evolution (requires Summoner level 8), or finding a way to use Enlarge Person on your Eidolon before every fight.

A homebrew prestige class for a raging summoner could be worked out, though. It could progress Eidolon stats and HD, but lose spellcasting advancement and other Summoner class features to get Rage progression instead.

kestrel404
2013-01-11, 02:32 PM
I can see several weaknesses in that kind of build.

First, is that while raging, you can't cast spells or call up other summons, so while you're 'doing your thing', you're going to be ignoring half your class features.

Second is that splitting your rage between you and your eidolon, you're gonna run out real quick.

Third is that you're going to need to choose to advance in either Barbarian levels, in which case your 'mount' slowly becomes useless, or in Summoner levels, in which case your rage becomes irrelevant. Splitting levels between the two means that both will become less useful as you progress.

I'll suggest an alternative that's got some teeth. Go for Barbarian/Oracle/Rage Prophet. While Oracle doesn't by itself get a nice pet, with your high charisma you can pick up the Eldritch Heritage feat. Eledritch Heritage (Sylvan) gets you an animal companion, with Druid Level = character level -5. Take Boon companion, and that becomes character level -1. So for two feats, you get a mount that's nearly as good as an Eidolon and stays level appropriate without spending class levels or additional resources on it. You also get a class feature that gives you LOTS of extra rage rounds (by spending spell slots on extending rage), and thanks to Savage Seer, you can dip back into Barbarian to pick up extra, higher level rage powers (like Greater Ferocious Mount), or Oracle levels for some of the better revelations. I'd keep things relatively balanced, ending up at Barbarian 6/Oracle 4/Rage Prophet 10 - this gets you 5th level oracle spells, +16 BAB, and 3 rage powers (two of which have to be Ferocious Mount and Moment of Clarity, for this build).

Hope that helps.

Clericzilla
2013-01-11, 04:00 PM
I do like the idea of a homebrew Barbarian/Summoner prestige class... There is already the Rage Prophet sooo it shouldn't be to hard to make one (haha).

But you playgrounders raises some good points. The character herself won't be really strong and actually uses a mount because of that fact.

I'll chat with my friend a bit more on this but one idea was to make a set of twins, one being a summoner/spell caster and the other being a Mounted Rager...

More thought will be needed for this.

kestrel404
2013-01-11, 04:56 PM
I'll chat with my friend a bit more on this but one idea was to make a set of twins, one being a summoner/spell caster and the other being a Mounted Rager...

More thought will be needed for this.

Ah, now there's a really interesting idea. If the Summoner and the guy riding the eidolon are two seperate people, then that's an entirely different kettle of fish.

Also, that opens up several very nice teamwork feats (for the eidolon and rider) as well.

Person_Man
2013-01-11, 05:09 PM
I do like the idea of a homebrew Barbarian/Summoner prestige class...

If you're going homebrew, and your intent is to go pure Barbarian/Summoner, then you could just make a Barbarian/Summoner homebrew base class.

d8 hit die
2 + Int Skill points per level.
All Barb and Summoner Skills as class Skills

{table=head]Level| BAB| Fort| Ref| Will| Special
1st | + 1 | + 0 | + 2 | + 2 | rage, eidolon, life link
2nd | + 2 | + 0 | + 3 | + 3 | bond senses
3rd | + 3 | + 1 | + 3 | + 3 | shield ally
4th | + 4 | + 1 | + 4 | + 4 | rage power
5th | + 5 | + 1 | + 4 | + 4 | maker's call
6th | + 6 | + 2 | + 5 | + 5 | rage power
7th | + 7 | + 2 | + 5 | + 5 | transposition
8th | + 8 | + 2 | + 6 | + 6 | rage power
9th | + 9 | + 3 | + 6 | + 6 | Aspect
10th | + 10 | + 3 | + 7 | + 7 | rage power
11th | + 11 | + 3 | + 7 | + 7 | greater rage
12th | + 12 | + 4 | + 8 | + 8 | rage power
13th | + 13 | + 4 | + 8 | + 8 | Greater shield ally
14th | + 14 | + 4 | + 9 | + 9 | rage power
15th | + 15 | + 5 | + 9 | + 9 | Life bond
16th | + 16 | + 5 | + 10 | + 10 | rage power
17th | + 17 | + 5 | + 10 | + 10 | tireless rage, merge forms
18th | + 18 | + 6 | + 11 | + 11 | rage power
19th | + 19 | + 6 | + 11 | + 11 | greater aspect
20th | + 20 | + 6 | + 12 | + 12 | mighty rage, twin eidolon
[/table]
Eidolon and eidolon synergy powers. Rage and Rage Powers. But dropping Cantrips, Summon Monster, Gate, spells, Fast Movement, Uncanny Dodge, Trap Sense, DR, etc.

Tier 2 mounted Barbarian. Done!

Clericzilla
2013-01-11, 05:10 PM
Ah, now there's a really interesting idea. If the Summoner and the guy riding the eidolon are two seperate people, then that's an entirely different kettle of fish.

Also, that opens up several very nice teamwork feats (for the eidolon and rider) as well.

Hmm I totally forgot about teamwork feats... Hmmm