PDA

View Full Version : Mundane Masks?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-01-11, 04:30 PM
Im a very big fan of the White Mask of Doom (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WhiteMaskOfDoom) trope and would like to make a character that wears one, I know I could only leave it as fluff and it won't affect anything; but that got me thinking what kind of effects would you rule for using a mask like that?

My first instics were making it a masterwork tool for intimidate and/or bluff.

Edge of Dreams
2013-01-11, 04:33 PM
Treating it as a masterwork tool (with the appropriate gp cost) is probably your best option. You could also argue for a bonus to disguise checks when you are NOT wearing it, if people are used to seeing with it on, because no one would recognize your real face.

GenericMook
2013-01-11, 04:48 PM
I'd go with masterwork tools. Ask your DM if you can get an increased bonus as your reputation increases. After all, people would know you more by your mask than your actual face.

Slipperychicken
2013-01-11, 05:35 PM
MIC has Crystal Mask of Dread, a 10,000gp item which grants a +10 to Intimidate. A similar item exists for Bluff, costing 10,000gp and granting a +10 on Bluff.

For a mundane mask, I say Masterwork tool of Intimidate, but have him pay for it (50gp is standard fare for MWK items) out of WBL and make it occupy the face slot as normal. Also a good idea to wear something underneath, like a ski mask in case the real mask is sundered.

GenericMook
2013-01-11, 05:39 PM
Or wear a second mask underneath it.

Azoth
2013-01-11, 05:42 PM
If I remember right the A&E has a bunch of gear for purposes like this. Even items you place in your mouth that alter the octave of your voice and the like. Great for the PC trying to live a double life.

The Redwolf
2013-01-11, 07:11 PM
Or wear a second mask underneath it.

You want to know what's under my mask? Well...under this mask is...

Another mask!

GenericMook
2013-01-11, 07:17 PM
Hell, just make a magical item:

The Mystical Mask of Masks of Intimidation/Diplomacy/*insert class skill*

hymer
2013-01-11, 07:28 PM
I certainly wouldn't let a mwk mask assist you in bluffing. People would be far more on guard to what some mask-wearing looney is saying. Intimidate I might allow, though perhaps not with a white mask of plainness. Red, and preferably something that makes you seem taller, would do better.
It could also act as camouflage, concealing that big area of skin which often blends rather poorly with the background. But I'd expect one mask for alpine camouflage, another for urban wear, a third for dry bush and a fourth for verdant green forest.
But you don't have to tell your DM any of this, of course. :smallwink:

Flickerdart
2013-01-11, 07:44 PM
Strictly from a fluff perspective, you may want to take a look at Ethergaunts - they walk around with masks that match their body colour, and the white caste are pretty powerful. What's scarier, just a regular mask, or wearing the face of a super-strong otherworldly monster?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-01-11, 08:30 PM
Treating it as a masterwork tool (with the appropriate gp cost) is probably your best option. You could also argue for a bonus to disguise checks when you are NOT wearing it, if people are used to seeing with it on, because no one would recognize your real face.
Interesting, a disguise bonus when NOT wearing the mask sounds weird st first; but it does makes a little sense if you think about it.

I'd go with masterwork tools. Ask your DM if you can get an increased bonus as your reputation increases. After all, people would know you more by your mask than your actual face.
I don't have a DM (for D&D anyway) right now; but if I find a game I'll ask.

MIC has Crystal Mask of Dread, a 10,000gp item which grants a +10 to Intimidate. A similar item exists for Bluff, costing 10,000gp and granting a +10 on Bluff.

For a mundane mask, I say Masterwork tool of Intimidate, but have him pay for it (50gp is standard fare for MWK items) out of WBL and make it occupy the face slot as normal. Also a good idea to wear something underneath, like a ski mask in case the real mask is sundered.

Yeah, once I have enough money for a magical item I will upgrade to a magical mask; but at low level a mtw item works beutifully (and it is quite cheap if I craft it myself).

If I remember right the A&E has a bunch of gear for purposes like this. Even items you place in your mouth that alter the octave of your voice and the like. Great for the PC trying to live a double life.

I will check those items as soon as I can, thanks for the heads up though.

Hell, just make a magical item:

The Mystical Mask of Masks of Intimidation/Diplomacy/*insert class skill*
At high levels probably.

I certainly wouldn't let a mwk mask assist you in bluffing. People would be far more on guard to what some mask-wearing looney is saying. Intimidate I might allow, though perhaps not with a white mask of plainness. Red, and preferably something that makes you seem taller, would do better.
It could also act as camouflage, concealing that big area of skin which often blends rather poorly with the background. But I'd expect one mask for alpine camouflage, another for urban wear, a third for dry bush and a fourth for verdant green forest.
But you don't have to tell your DM any of this, of course. :smallwink:

The bluff was more as masking your involuntary facial movements. I've seen a lot of Anime and other series where the most successful liars were masked. Having said that I can see where you are coming from.

Strictly from a fluff perspective, you may want to take a look at Ethergaunts - they walk around with masks that match their body colour, and the white caste are pretty powerful. What's scarier, just a regular mask, or wearing the face of a super-strong otherworldly monster?

That is a great idea; but that depends on how well known are the Etgergaunts and IIRC they are very secretive so that might be a problem.

GreenSerpent
2013-01-11, 09:03 PM
Master of Masks prestige class from Complete Scoundrel? It has a Faceless mask option that's described as a "featureless oval, porcelain mask".

Dusk Eclipse
2013-01-11, 09:09 PM
Master of Masks prestige class from Complete Scoundrel? It has a Faceless mask option that's described as a "featureless oval, porcelain mask".

This isn't for a specific character, just something I was wondering how to implement in game in mundane ways.