PDA

View Full Version : Samurai Fix.

MidgetMarine
2013-01-11, 08:52 PM
I have found a single change to the Samurai class at lvl 1 that will make the Samurai exponentially better than before.

FIX:

At first level, the samurai gains a new ability.

Called 'Seppuku'

;D

Darth Stabber
2013-01-11, 09:48 PM
Boo hiss

Allow it to freely gestalt with a tier5 class and it's not so bad. Samurai//Soulborn is a fun combo if your GM will let you take it in a non-gestalt game. Or samurai//healer, is fun. Samurai//Adept is almost t3 if you pick your spells smartly.

LTwerewolf
2013-01-11, 10:02 PM
OA samurai is a fun dip imo.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-11, 10:21 PM
Has simply combining the two samurai classes ever been suggested as a fix?

Muktidata
2013-01-11, 10:22 PM
Frank and K have my favorite.

limejuicepowder
2013-01-11, 10:46 PM
Really, I don't think the samurai class should ever have been made (and the current incarnation is just insulting).

A samurai is a warrior who follows a specific code; the generic class "fighter" should be good enough to make a samurai.

The fighter being a terrible class is the real cause of there being no good way to portray a samurai, at least until warblade showed up. Once again we arrive at "be a warblade."

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-01-11, 11:16 PM
Oh, I dunno... they're not *completely* worthless, although it requires moderate to extreme optimization tactics to get much mileage out of them. Then again, it's kinda fun to do that, to take a class universally regarded as 'worthless', and pull a cute trick with it.

Starbuck_II
2013-01-11, 11:56 PM
Boo hiss

Allow it to freely gestalt with a tier5 class and it's not so bad. Samurai//Soulborn is a fun combo if your GM will let you take it in a non-gestalt game. Or samurai//healer, is fun. Samurai//Adept is almost t3 if you pick your spells smartly.

Just have Samurai is natutrally Gestalted with Dragon Shaman: that ups them to Tier 3.

VGLordR2
2013-01-12, 12:41 AM
FIX:

At first level, the samurai gains a new ability.

Called 'Seppuku'

To be fair, I'm not sure they can even do that well.

Darth Stabber
2013-01-12, 12:42 AM
Just have Samurai is natutrally Gestalted with Dragon Shaman: that ups them to Tier 3.

Excellent call, and pretty synergistic. Honestly just taking all the crappy classes and let people gestalt them in a normal game.

Crappy class for gestalting in an otherwise non-gestalt game:
soulknife
Soulborn
Samurai
dragon shaman
marshal
ninja
adept
warrior
Expert
healer
warmage
divine mind

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-12, 01:16 AM
To be fair, I'm not sure they can even do that well.

Seeing as it's essentially using the coup-de-grace action on yourself, followed by voluntarily failing the saving throw VS death. I don't really see a need for this to be a class feature or why anyone at all would have trouble with it, providing they've got a knife handy.

That said, this kind of hate is usually reserved for monks. Why the sudden interest in bashing the samurai?

Arcanist
2013-01-12, 01:26 AM
That said, this kind of hate is usually reserved for monks. Why the sudden interest in bashing the samurai?

Because it is interplanar Monk appreciation Eon (Remember that whole 2012 thing? Yeah, this is it) :smallcool:

JaronK
2013-01-12, 02:32 AM
Honestly I stopped caring about Samurai fixes after ToB came out. Warblade makes SUCH a great Samurai that there's no point. And the initial class is so lackluster that you don't even have the Monk's "but this looks cool, can we fix it?" thing going on.

I mean, I guess you could do a gestalt CW Samurai//OA Samurai//Iaijutsu Master thing. That could be fun. Just start the IM levels at around 8 or so.

JaronK

Darth Stabber
2013-01-12, 02:48 AM
Because it is interplanar Monk appreciation Eon (Remember that whole 2012 thing? Yeah, this is it) :smallcool:

That will last until Monday.

Arcanist
2013-01-12, 02:50 AM

I'm not going to get into planar physics (let's leave that to AfroAkuma), but yes it will last until Monday :smallcool:

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-01-12, 03:02 AM

But I thought every Monday was Monkday...

Darth Stabber
2013-01-12, 03:27 AM
But I thought every Monday was Monkday...

I refuse to explain jokes with anything other than the fact that I refuse to explain them. That statement was a little bit meta.

Clericzilla
2013-01-12, 11:24 AM
Honestly I stopped caring about Samurai fixes after ToB came out. Warblade makes SUCH a great Samurai that there's no point. And the initial class is so lackluster that you don't even have the Monk's "but this looks cool, can we fix it?" thing going on.

I mean, I guess you could do a gestalt CW Samurai//OA Samurai//Iaijutsu Master thing. That could be fun. Just start the IM levels at around 8 or so.

JaronK

Wait! That can't be true! It isn't a Samurai, the name is Warblade and specifically not Samurai! How can you play a Warblade as a Samurai? You can't! You crazy optimizers and your rule bending.. I just can't stand it anymore.. I'm out!

:smallbiggrin:

MidgetMarine
2013-01-12, 12:34 PM
Didn't expect this much response honestly.

This joke came up in the middle of a session yesterday and I had the urge to post it.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-12, 09:10 PM
Didn't expect this much response honestly.

This joke came up in the middle of a session yesterday and I had the urge to post it.

Which is why you have to remember the thing Craig Ferguson remembers before speaking; "Does this need to be said? Does this need to be said by me? Does this need to be said by me, now?"

It took him three marriages to learn this lesson and share it with us all. :smallbiggrin:

Rogue Shadows
2013-01-12, 11:39 PM
Has simply combining the two samurai classes ever been suggested as a fix?

I did! I also added in some Kensai and Iaijutsu Master stuff, as well as some stuff from Pathfinder.