PDA

View Full Version : PC crafting (ab)use

andromax
2013-01-12, 06:18 AM
So lets suppose that in a campaign where the magic mart is fairly well stocked, and only a few magic items don't exist (dagger of chaos), that a player opts to spend a few feats on Craft Wand and Craft Magic Arms and Armor, or what not.

Now supposing that we create a custom crafted item to be restricted by skill AND by class we are getting a sizable discount. Especially when you can assume those restrictions are going to be fit to accommodate their intended user(s).

Example. I create a +5 Keen Falchion. Market price approx. 72k gp.

If I craft it as a 'Fighter only, must have ranks in Climb', I'm reducing its value to just over 45k gp. Is this it's new 'Market Price?'

Do you still pay exp at 72k gp?

Is the final price of under 23k gp too cheap for adding restrictions that don't matter to the intended end user?

Do DMs allow this type of crafting?

TuggyNE
2013-01-12, 06:44 AM
Example. I create a +5 Keen Falchion. Market price approx. 72k gp.

If I craft it as a 'Fighter only, must have ranks in Climb', I'm reducing its value to just over 45k gp. Is this it's new 'Market Price?'

Yes.

Do you still pay exp at 72k gp?

No.

Is the final price of under 23k gp too cheap for adding restrictions that don't matter to the intended end user?

Do DMs allow this type of crafting?

Probably, and only sometimes. It's kind of cheesy. Worse, it's something they can pull on you with devastating effect: how do you like all the magic items you find being only usable by CE Orcs with Profession: Orcish Raider? For these reasons, ask your DM before you try this.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-12, 07:34 AM
FWIW, while strict RAW has those discounts as being applied to the cost to create, I genuinely believe they were only intended to apply to the final market price of the item.

Such restrictions should unquestionably reduce the value of such items on the open market (and they do) but I find it difficult to believe that infusing the same magic, plus magics to determine if the user meets the items requirements was intended to be -less- expensive.

I think it was a genuine misprint on the part of whoever is responsible for that sidebar and -always- implement a houserule to correct it.

But that's just one DM's judgement, YMMV.

Vaz
2013-01-12, 08:16 AM
My DM tends to just say if its useable by you, then no matter the limitation you put on, if it doesn't change the end result of how you use if, then you pay full price, reduced by feats etc.

For example a use activated Trinket of True Strike as opposed to a Permanent True Strike, there is no change in its effect

A Wizard who is told to make a magic crossbow for a Lawful Dwarf Fighter with ranks in Survival and Knowledge Nature is going to get suspicious. It is hardly a major contract for a guild, and it is not done through official channels; so it is likely that said Wizard will ramp up the price. Even if a party without a Dwarf (having left him in the tent outside the city/wandered elsewhere), the fact they are commisioning/buying said weapon rather than ignoring it, they must need it for a reason.

If party wants to sell weapon on afterwards, though then the limitations come into effect, unless they just happen to run into a Ranger apprentice of the Stoneheart Dwarfclan who was taken from his normal military training...