PDA

View Full Version : Playing a character with PTSD

bendking
2013-01-12, 08:23 AM
So I've made this huge awesome history for my character, part of which involves having PTSD after some pretty horrific wars, problem is, im not exactly a veteran player, so I wouldn't say im amazing at role playing..
So my question is, would having PTSD be hard to RP and I should change the history of my char or should I stick to it and try anyway?
Thanks alot, Ben.

mattie_p
2013-01-12, 08:30 AM
How do you intend to roleplay the PTSD? It manifests in different people in different ways. Have you read up on some of the common (or less common) symptoms? Have you met a veteran with it or the victim of some traumatic event?

This is a very broad idea, you might want to narrow it down.

For example, some people with PTSD are hyper-alert. They have trouble sleeping - any noise wakes them, driving down the road they are constantly scanning the side of the road, stuff like trashcans sets them off (could be an IED).

Some are loners, they don't want to know anyone because their friends have died in the past, and they don't want to commit because they might lose them.

Some self-medicate with alcohol or other substances in an attempt to feel "normal."

bendking
2013-01-12, 08:33 AM
I can narrow it down but my DM says you have to have Panic Attacks..
And if I narrow it down, is it still hard to RP?

Amphetryon
2013-01-12, 08:33 AM
So I've made this huge awesome history for my character, part of which involves having PTSD after some pretty horrific wars, problem is, im not exactly a veteran player, so I wouldn't say im amazing at role playing..
So my question is, would having PTSD be hard to RP and I should change the history of my char or should I stick to it and try anyway?
Thanks alot, Ben.

PTSD makes for a good hook for several archetypes, provided it's a) not overwhelming, and so not always the focal point, and b) given a specific trigger that you can expect to come up at irregular intervals.

In other words, it shouldn't prevent your Character from functioning, and it shouldn't be the thing that dominates the sessions. Heck you could even reflavor Rage as your Character's reaction to his PTSD.

jaynus006
2013-01-12, 08:46 AM
Anger and frustration can be a pretty big cornerstone of your role play, you're lack of faith as well. Doesn't have to be religious faith think of it more like your character was young and believed in what he wa fighting for, but it isn't so sure and feels betrayed. Nightmares and periods of depression can haunt him. A lot of people want to think of PTSD as going postal and freaking out but the truth is more lonely and withdrawn than that.

If panic attacks are a requirement you might want to discuss that, don't want the GM forcing u to have a breakdown at every pivotal moment, or every time you're about to succeed at something.

A nice hook is having someone, either PC or NPC who believes in you and wants to help you. They support you and try to restore your faith in what you oce stood for.

limejuicepowder
2013-01-12, 09:22 AM
It might be easiest to just watch some movies where PTSD is a theme. The hurt locker and warrior are both very powerful, emotional movies that are good to watch anyways, and they may provide you with some source material.

bendking
2013-01-12, 09:33 AM
That's fine and dandy, but how do I make it so a guy with PTSD goes out on adventure? I mean, if he has PTSD why would he go out and fight people?

limejuicepowder
2013-01-12, 09:43 AM
That's fine and dandy, but how do I make it so a guy with PTSD goes out on adventure? I mean, if he has PTSD why would he go out and fight people?

That's why I think you should watch one or both of those movies; (most) people with PTSD aren't a quivering mess, completely unable to get out of their corner. They can be, to a certain degree, a functional person who has a lot of baggage - some of the other posts describe it quite well.

Maybe the character is running from his past. Wracked by survivor's guilt, he can't deal with people that know his history. Thus, he wanders, doing odd jobs when he can. He has no problem fighting, it's letting people get to close that scares him.

mattie_p
2013-01-12, 11:19 AM

He is addicted to the high, if you will. PTSD, in some cases, provides a heightened sense of awareness, overly active. This over-awareness is not productive in a peaceful, pastoral setting like a small village, but useful in dangerous situations. When nothing is going on he feels like all of his energy is pent up, ready to blow at any time. Friends and family push him away because he explodes when things don't go his way, so he becomes a loner. They don't understand him, they don't understand what he's been through, what he has risked to keep them safe. He feels "at home" in danger. Only his comrades - those who have been through or go through peril with him - can truly understand him.

bendking
2013-01-12, 12:16 PM
He is addicted to the high, if you will. PTSD, in some cases, provides a heightened sense of awareness, overly active. This over-awareness is not productive in a peaceful, pastoral setting like a small village, but useful in dangerous situations. When nothing is going on he feels like all of his energy is pent up, ready to blow at any time. Friends and family push him away because he explodes when things don't go his way, so he becomes a loner. They don't understand him, they don't understand what he's been through, what he has risked to keep them safe. He feels "at home" in danger. Only his comrades - those who have been through or go through peril with him - can truly understand him.

That's awesome, but unfortunately my friends don't want me to have PTSD, so I had to gave up on that.. mabye sometime in the future.

HunterOfJello
2013-01-12, 12:23 PM
Check out the Insanity section in Unearthed Arcana. The Short-Term Temporary Insanity Effects list has some very interesting suggestsions.

Some that could work well are:

Character faints (can be awakened by vigorous
action taking 1 round; thereafter, character is
shaken until duration expires).

Character becomes homicidal, dealing harm to
nearest person as effi ciently as possible.

Character becomes catatonic (can stand but has
no will or interest; may be led or forced to simple
actions but takes no independent action).

The insanity rules are checks based on wisdom that work off a pool of 'Sanity Points' (which is also derived from a character's wisdom stat).

Allowing your character to make saves against these actions, but making it more difficult to save against them over time could allow you to have a mechanical aspect to it all instead of just force roleplaying it whenever you do or do not like.