PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Personal Spells

St Fan
2013-01-12, 08:31 AM
Hello there. I’ve been giving some thoughts to personal spells and how to share them to other characters than the caster.

My question is simply: would this be a game breaker?

There are lots of spells (arcane, mostly, but divine casters are probably concerned too) that have a range of “personal” and a target of “you”, probably for game balance. They range from mildly useful to useless (especially those that increase the fighting prowess, since it’s usually a bad idea for an arcane caster to get involved in melee, except for a gish build). Plus some have further drawbacks, such as making the caster unable to use magic for the duration.

The Spell Compendium, especially, is rife with them, but there’s a few in core, like Shield or Tenser’s Transformation.

Now, there are a few way of sharing them to other characters in the party, making them way more interesting, especially the fight-improvement ones.

For spells of level 1-3, potions are the easy way.

For higher-level spells, scrolls or wands and a character with ranks in Use Magic Device can do miracles.

I won’t go into “Magic Jar” shenanigans right now...

A homebrewed metamagic feat can be found on this site (http://www.angelfire.com/la/larryadnd/3rd%20Edition%20Rules.html): Share Spell
Its effect is simple: for a rise in 1 spell level, a personal spell gets a range of “touch” and a target of “creature touched”.

Again, the question is: would introducing this feat, or letting players use other tricks, upset game balance by making spells usually reserved to the caster available to anybody?

jaynus006
2013-01-12, 08:55 AM
Anytime you increase the effectiveness off fix you can drastically alter the balance of the game. A few things to think of

How good (or bad :p ) are your players at break in the game, if you have a power gamer at the table he is going to find something you didn't think of and abuse it.

Is this wiling only? Tensers used on the enemy wizard can swing things around a bit.

I do think though there was an item that allowed this to happen, gauntlets in DMG2 I think that split a pair and te two wearing it share personal spells. I also think there was a PrC capstone that make personal touch spells

thethird
2013-01-12, 09:01 AM
Check the Spellguard of Silverymoon (PGtF) it does change the range of some spells from personal to touch.

Darrin
2013-01-12, 11:31 AM
Consider:

Skull Talisman (Frostburn)
Glyph Seal (MIC)
Shallantha's Delicate Disk (Lost Empires of Faerun)