PDA

View Full Version : Looking for gnoll, centaur and ogre flavor

Kol Korran
2013-01-12, 10:02 AM
A campaign i'm working on might have these 3 races as major recurring roles. i'm working on some flavor specific for the setting, but i'd like to see what's out there already, either published officially or home brew.

Though the system is D&D, the flavor is not restricted to their representations in D&D. everything is welcomed- you never know where a good idea might spring from...

Can you guide me? :smalltongue:

hymer
2013-01-12, 10:17 AM
I'll just mention, then, that last I used centaurs in a big way, they were based on North American plains Indian tribes (after the horse was introduced to them, of course). It made it easy for me to quickly develop new tribes as the need arose, and gave them an authentic air.

nedz
2013-01-12, 10:46 AM
For a northern campaign I refluffed Gnolls as being wolf like rather than hyena like: because Hyenas ?

LibraryOgre
2013-01-12, 11:37 AM
Conversely, I read a version of Gnolls that made them more hyena like... including that they were matriarchal, with women being the largest and most powerful (one version made it so flinds were actually the female gnolls).

I always liked the Dragonlance flavor on ogres... degraded forms of what was once the most beautiful and cultured race in the world.

Kol Korran
2013-01-12, 11:43 AM
Conversely, I read a version of Gnolls that made them more hyena like... including that they were matriarchal, with women being the largest and most powerful (one version made it so flinds were actually the female gnolls).

I always liked the Dragonlance flavor on ogres... degraded forms of what was once the most beautiful and cultured race in the world.

Hmmmm... that version of gnolls is quite similar to what I'm planning to do. Do you happen to have more info or the source of this?

I read what you describe about the ogres in "lord Toed" (excellent book) but I assumed it was a joke. Again I asked any more info?

thanks for the suggestions so far!

LibraryOgre
2013-01-12, 11:53 AM
Not off the top of my head; I seem to recall this from the Wizards of the Coast boards, back when they were readable by newsreader (so... late 90s?).

I'd just go to Wikipedia and read up about hyenas.

For ogres, I would take some ancient culture (Rome is a good one), and apply it haphazardly to "ogres". Leaders get called "churions", with big leaders called "consoles". They aren't wearing untreated hide smocks... they're wearing sloppy togas. It will be close enough that players will recognize it as what it is... a degraded form of a higher culture.

vartan
2013-01-12, 10:35 PM

Possibly NSFW, I bet it will mention something about false penises and such.

TheThan
2013-01-13, 02:14 AM
I’ve run centaurs as native Americanesque nomads. They travel around, following animal herd migrations and dislike the encroachment of other races (humans) into their savanna/plains homeland as they have a tendency to build fences and towns. The centaurs are slowly finding their home divvied up into farming lots and they are fighting against it, even to the point of becoming violent.

inexorabletruth
2013-01-13, 02:44 AM
There's always the Harry Potter interpretation of centaurs as flaky, star gazing hippies.

Gnolls are hard to refluff. Their fluff is already pretty good. But one direction a DM went is that of pranksters and hooligans. They weren't really as bad as the locals who had to put up with them claimed they were, but they were definitely annoying. They never took anything seriously.

I like to use ogres in surprising roles. I have a recurring NPC who is an Ogre Mage blacksmith. His grasp of magic makes it so he can craft a fine magic weapon, but he tends to gouge the price a bit if a dwarf is doing the asking. Also, he likes to gloat that a dwarf is coming to his forge for weapons. He gets laughs, and the players keep coming back to him for more work. Making them big bad rivals to dwarves, but still intelligent and well versed allows you to play out a new dynamic with their character.

Kaerou
2013-01-13, 04:43 AM
I like to run Centaurs in a European English / French flavor. Sometimes with a 50/50 split with them intermingled equally with a human or elf population.

Because Centaur Knights just HAVE to happen. :)

http://i.imgur.com/djrAm.jpg

Kol Korran
2013-01-13, 07:40 AM
I've been a biology student some years ago, and learned a bit about hyenas, which is part of the inspiration here. fascinating animals, with tons to draw from. Though I wanted the gnolls to be much inspired from Hyena society, I also want them to have something different, that makes them special as humanoids, since there will be hyena packs allready in the setting.

For ogres, I would take some ancient culture (Rome is a good one), and apply it haphazardly to "ogres". Leaders get called "churions", with big leaders called "consoles". They aren't wearing untreated hide smocks... they're wearing sloppy togas. It will be close enough that players will recognize it as what it is... a degraded form of a higher culture.
An interesting idea, I'll need to think about it. This will take place in Eberron (in the past, when the Empire was one, in the region now known as Droaam). the ogres in this setting weren't really dealt with. I wonder how to fit them in... perhaps as a sub culture/ nation from Dhakanii times?

I’ve run centaurs as native Americanesque nomads. They travel around, following animal herd migrations and dislike the encroachment of other races (humans) into their savanna/plains homeland as they have a tendency to build fences and towns. The centaurs are slowly finding their home divvied up into farming lots and they are fighting against it, even to the point of becoming violent.
That is pretty much the current intended role for the centaurs in my campaign as well. It draws a bit from a "wild west" feel, both cliches and more complex and real stuff. However, I'd like to make the centaurs not too similar to native americans, give them their own unique place in the world.

Gnolls are hard to refluff. Their fluff is already pretty good.
really? where? All i know about is the short description in the Monster manual, which makes them murderous maniacal savages. That is good, as long as it's not ALL they are about.

I like to run Centaurs in a European English / French flavor. Sometimes with a 50/50 split with them intermingled equally with a human or elf population.

that is an interesting take on things. what elements did you take from English and French cultures? maybe this could fit with my nomads, granting them a bit more sophistication? i'm intrigued.

Ormur
2013-01-13, 08:54 AM
Gnolls as matriarchal hunters is a pretty cool concept I've wanted to explore in a setting after reading the comic Digger (http://www.diggercomic.com/). Anyone wanting to focus on gnolls like that would do well to take pointers from it.

LibraryOgre
2013-01-13, 11:28 AM
I've been a biology student some years ago, and learned a bit about hyenas, which is part of the inspiration here. fascinating animals, with tons to draw from. Though I wanted the gnolls to be much inspired from Hyena society, I also want them to have something different, that makes them special as humanoids, since there will be hyena packs allready in the setting.

Wish I had more for you, then, but, yeah... IIRC, it was a general "I run gnolls as being like hyenas".

An interesting idea, I'll need to think about it. This will take place in Eberron (in the past, when the Empire was one, in the region now known as Droaam). the ogres in this setting weren't really dealt with. I wonder how to fit them in... perhaps as a sub culture/ nation from Dhakanii times?

Not familiar with Eberron, but a quick perusal makes them kind of interesting... I like the idea of them being semi-corrupted Dhakanii offshoots... perhaps intermingling of hill giants and bugbears?

ExtravagantEvil
2013-01-13, 01:46 PM
For Gnoll's I've always had a particular idea based around the Laughing animals of the Savannah, the Matriarchic idea could fit in with this one even. Largely from a mechanical perspective also, but could do something interesting.

They are illusionists by nature, and have a strong value placed in Shamanistic magic of that variety, and are Murderous pranksters and game players.

They squabble over the remains of dead animals after scaring away who ever killed it with frightening images, and stalking wary travellers through their realms with harassing arrows, and disguised raids.

They will taunt you with blood, gore, and dead friends before eating your face.

You could play up a style of African style witch-doctoring to this, and make it a magically accepting but superstitious culture that enjoys seeing the Hairless ones suffer a little and have a good laugh.

Melayl
2013-01-13, 03:11 PM
My cousin had them fluffed as a matriarchal scoiety as well. They were very upfront, lawfu,l and trustworthy, often hiring out as mercenary bodyguards. You knew when you had a contract with the gnolls that they had your back all the way. Didn't matter too much to them what side they signed up on. Paladins without the stick, you might say...

Silverbit
2013-01-13, 09:06 PM
Gnolls as matriarchal hunters is a pretty cool concept I've wanted to explore in a setting after reading the comic Digger (http://www.diggercomic.com/). Anyone wanting to focus on gnolls like that would do well to take pointers from it.

You just cost me four hours of sleep, to read all of Digger. Thank you :smallbiggrin:.

On topic, I go to extremes with Gnolls; either I play up their fluff, or subvert it. In some cases, Gnolls are direct decendants of hyenas and demons, gifted warlocks and psychotic warriors. In other cases, they are just savanna humanoids, of broadly CN alignment. Gnolls are a great blank canvas, I feel.

tbok1992
2013-01-13, 10:57 PM
I did have the idea for Oni/Ogre Magi to be ogres warped by the magical energies of the Feywild (Since Oni are obake, and Obake are essentially Japanese fae), and it actually made them less evil. They're still boisterous, but in a more laid back sort of way, and are mostly CN.

Kol Korran
2013-01-14, 03:47 AM
Murderous pranksters and game players.
I intend to playthem as somewht savage and brutal, but i like the idea of them being tricksters, or toying with their prey. a sort of... entertainment, cultural ritual thing? might add a sadistic streak to them. I like this. I probably won't use illusion magic, as i intend for most of their magical power to be cruel nature based, but there can be enough mundane ways for trickery, thanks!

By the way, the hyena's laughter is in fact their way of saying to a superior "don't hurt me! i'm inferior!" or something similar enough.

They squabble over the remains of dead animals Hyenas contrary to common belief are not scavengers and hunt most of their food, competing nicely with lions and other predators. In this campaign they compose one of the largest populations, and sort of the main antagonists in the wild. I intend to play them as prime hunters.

They were very upfront, lawful and trustworthy..
hmmm, Though i intend to have the gnolls as savages, i want there to be a good standing to deal with them (they are currently in trade dealings with the civilized races) hyena's society is quite hierarchical , with quite clear roles, rules and positions. i want to make the gnoll society appreciating law, trust and agreements, even if they try to subvert them to their own use. I see them as (maybe not so successful) manipulators and deal makers, aside from their savage nature. you could trust them as long as the agreement holds, but not beyond that. i need to work this out though, make it more interesting, perhaps a few cultural touches like the famous "parley?" of the pirates of the Caribbean.

On topic, I go to extremes with Gnolls; either I play up their fluff, or subvert it. In some cases, Gnolls are direct decendants of hyenas and demons, gifted warlocks and psychotic warriors. .
you're the second one mentioning the gnoll fluff. where is it written other than the flimsy entry at the MM? i'd love to read whatever material there is available.

I did have the idea for Oni/Ogre Magi to be ogres warped by the magical energies of the Feywild (Since Oni are obake, and Obake are essentially Japanese fae), and it actually made them less evil. They're still boisterous, but in a more laid back sort of way, and are mostly CN.

hhmmmm, an interesting idea. My current though was that Oni were some of back shoot to an earlier type of ogre, as Mark Hall suggested in his idea- people of an ancient empire. but the fey wild touch is intriguing. there will be very very little fey in this campaign, but i'll give it some thought. thanks!

thanks all!

Silverbit
2013-01-14, 05:23 AM
It's 4e, but there is some pretty good gnoll fluff here (http://http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/dragon/367/367_Playing_Gnolls.pdf). Some is also found in Races of the Wild, and in the MM.

ArcturusV
2013-01-14, 07:50 AM
Oddly was just thinking about Gnolls the other day for a potential campaign. Been reading this book "Goblin Corps". And the "Troll" character (Who is depicted in art and in description as GNOLL not a Troll by any definition I've ever seen as a Troll) had a cultural motif I wanted to crib, probably flavor it off something like the dark heart of the Congo style tribesmen and add in their unique religion from Goblin Corps. Which was more or less based on a cultural belief that life was about making sure that when you died you had the biggest, baddest entourage around your spirit. How do you do that? Any "intelligent" creature you killed was bound to serve you in the Afterlife because you dominated it in the Mortal Life. It didn't work for non-intelligent "monsters", something said character in the book endlessly bitched about as she wasn't getting Souls/Servants/Hangers On in the afterlife when she killed Yetis, or Magical Cursed Spawned Hive Mind Worms, etc, but could get souls/servants/hangers on killing things like relatively moronic bugbears.

Plus I find African Cultures are underused in fantasy, excepting possible Egyptian analogues. So I try to include one in most settings just for the sake of variety and uniqueness.

randomhero00
2013-01-14, 12:14 PM
I always liked EQ's version of Ogres:

http://everquestlore.wikia.com/wiki/Ogre

http://www.lorelibrary.com/?page=book&bid=40

genderlich
2013-01-14, 02:01 PM
In my group's home campaign setting, Gnolls are actually a default player race. They were once enslaved by a demon lord, but broke away and started worshipping nature. They're pretty much the archetypal Noble Savage race, with tribes, druids, the works.

The Glyphstone
2013-01-14, 02:06 PM
Gnolls are tough, stringy, and bland-tasting.

Centaurs are like horses - slightly sweet, with a fatty after-taste.

Ogres taste like pork.

Concrete
2013-01-14, 06:56 PM
Gnolls are tough, stringy, and bland-tasting.

Centaurs are like horses - slightly sweet, with a fatty after-taste.

Ogres taste like pork.

I have always imagined ogres to taste a bit more like boar, gamier, and quite bitter.

The Glyphstone
2013-01-14, 07:23 PM
I have always imagined ogres to taste a bit more like boar, gamier, and quite bitter.

Nah, it's orcs that taste like boar.

holywhippet
2013-01-14, 08:57 PM

Yeah, not like they are ripping of Tolkien or anything...

How about doing ogres as being like mob enforcers? Tough muscle for hire with a vague code of ethics of "I'm not going to hit someone unless I'm being paid, or they annoy me enough".

Centaurs could be morel like the Mongol horde - dangerous cavalry who's equipment and tactics let them crush most opposition.

Gnolls could be modelled to be like a wolf pack. You have the alpha male and female, the betas and a few omegas. Outsiders are treated with suspicion or hostility unless you earn their trust.

nedz
2013-01-14, 10:07 PM
I thought that Ogres tasted like Ugli fruit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uglifruit), but maybe that was just the source.

LibraryOgre
2013-01-14, 10:57 PM
Yeah, not like they are ripping of Tolkien or anything...

Decrying modern fantasy for ripping of Tolkien is utterly pointless. While the pulps were huge in the development of D&D, Tolkien is pretty much the archetype of modern fantasy (and he did it by ripping off the Finns and the Icelanders).

Kaerou
2013-01-15, 07:58 AM
that is an interesting take on things. what elements did you take from English and French cultures? maybe this could fit with my nomads, granting them a bit more sophistication? i'm intrigued.

Mostly Knights, Castles and bowman/rangers of the woods style thing. Take Robin Hood as an example. Most folk are basic commoners, peasants and woodmen etc, but there are nobility with fine things, castles and knights /archers, strong church as a counterpower. However people would be more mobile and empowered, so there would likely be a bit more wealth and power in settlements. However with your nomad idea, it could well be that some of the population moves between fixed defendable settlements as traders and goods+food delivery from farms etc.

Rake21
2013-01-15, 09:42 PM
In our campaign, gnolls (and several other races) were created as a slave/warrior race by the Eladrin to serve as scouts and cannon fodder in their genocidal conquest of the world... I should probably mention that the Eladrin are kind of ***** in our campaign.

The LOBster
2013-01-17, 05:26 AM
Personally, I have gnolls replace the usual orcs in my setting, because the orcs in my setting are Blizzard Orcs and one of the core player races. As for their flavor, gnolls are basically an entire race that acts like the BTAS version of the Joker - they have a twisted sense of humor that'd make the audience laugh while still making them really nasty pieces of work.

Jacob.Tyr
2013-01-17, 05:54 PM
Slayers Guide to Gnolls was a pretty excellent bit of fluff, and if you try hard enough you can probably find a download of it.

Last character I played seriously was a gnoll, and I really got into it. Their society is brutal and hierarchical with place being determined by strength. They enslave "lesser" races, and believe in a might makes right to the extreme. Slayers also writes about them eating these slaves, which depending on your preference can be ignored or not.

Slayers guide makes them more brutal than I played it, though. I took more inspiration from Sparta, but with a matriarchy instead of patriarchy. Warlike, feared by their neighbors and keeping an abundance of enslaved peasants to do their work that were treated as lesser creatures. Makes for great flavor for the gnoll, imo.

Oh, and rape was a fairly casual thing in gnoll society, and was how you settled most disputes with underlings and upstarts. Females have a pseudo penis for a reason, and use them for dominance displays. They do not, however, tend to rape potential/current trade partners for reasons that become obvious the first time your Queen (which, as with Spartan culture was also the leader in times of war) anally violates an ambassador over a tariff dispute.

North_Ranger
2013-01-17, 06:05 PM
Flavor, huh?

Well, I'm guessing the centaurs taste like horsemeat. Gnolls are probably quite tough and stringy, the kind of meat you need to boil for a long time to soften it up.

Ogres... I'm guessing they taste like diseased pork, at least in Pathfinder.

Of course, everything tastes like chicken for the first time you bite into it.

Mary Leathert
2013-01-17, 06:10 PM
Pathfinder has "Classic Monsters Revisited" which is almost completely flavor, and has sections on ogres and gnolls. So is quite setting-specific, but not all of it.

I do like the idea of matriarchal gnolls, though.

North_Ranger
2013-01-17, 06:18 PM
Pathfinder has "Classic Monsters Revisited" which is almost completely flavor, and has sections on ogres and gnolls. So is quite setting-specific, but not all of it.

I do like the idea of matriarchal gnolls, though.

Good luck finding a copy, though... If my understanding is correct, it's out of print. The cheapest copies available in Amazon had three-figure prices slapped onto them.

EDIT: Huh... I stand corrected. Current price range is $25-$35. Which is still a fair amount of cash considering that the original price was about half that.

The LOBster
2013-01-17, 06:56 PM
Oh, and rape was a fairly casual thing in gnoll society, and was how you settled most disputes with underlings and upstarts. Females have a pseudo penis for a reason, and use them for dominance displays. They do not, however, tend to rape potential/current trade partners for reasons that become obvious the first time your Queen (which, as with Spartan culture was also the leader in times of war) anally violates an ambassador over a tariff dispute.

Okay, I'm gonna have to stop you riiiiiight there. I love the bit about a pseudo-penis (considering I'm kind of a biology nut), but first, let me quote something.

Take a good look at your story. Why do you think a rape is what you need for it to progress? Is there something else that could fill the same function? Unless you have a damn good reason to include rape in a story, you probably shouldn’t. - Inside Out (http://www.girl-wonder.org/insideout/2007/04/09/sexual-assault-in-comics-awareness-month-writing-sexual-violence-part-1/)

Especially since you could accomplish the same goals of showing dominance with fights. You know, like actual hyenas. Hyenas aren't amoral gang rapists like dolphins, you know. I mean, I'm hardly politically correct, but inserting rape into something when you could substitute something less awful is a personal pet peeve of mine.

Jacob.Tyr
2013-01-17, 10:54 PM
Okay, I'm gonna have to stop you riiiiiight there. I love the bit about a pseudo-penis (considering I'm kind of a biology nut), but first, let me quote something.

Especially since you could accomplish the same goals of showing dominance with fights. You know, like actual hyenas. Hyenas aren't amoral gang rapists like dolphins, you know. I mean, I'm hardly politically correct, but inserting rape into something when you could substitute something less awful is a personal pet peeve of mine.

I understand the distaste of it, and it's rarely something I would ever bring up in a game (if ever), but it's a functional dominance display that has precedence in nature. I'm not sure how political correctness follows with female gnolls mounting males with their psuedopenises. More of a back-story flavoring to make things more barbaric compared to other strict might=right civilizations, even with all the dressings of an advanced for the time society.

Kol Korran
2013-01-18, 07:15 AM
Hmmmm, some interesting opinions. I'll start with a post I missed before somehow...

Not familiar with Eberron, but a quick perusal makes them kind of interesting... I like the idea of them being semi-corrupted Dhakanii offshoots... perhaps intermingling of hill giants and bugbears?

Hmmmm, currently my idea for the ogres, inspired by your suggestion is to have them originate from an extinct fairly magically advanced race, who was trying to incorporate magic into the body, which the Dhakanni dealt with. Something... went wrong (not sure yet), and most of their race got "dumbed down and uglied" to ogres, though a few ofshoots appear from now and then, strange "higher ogres/ Onii/ ogre mages" (with mechanics reowrked) who are closer to what the ancient race tried to achieve.

Some of the ogres in this region got hand of various partially working magical devices from the ancient time (mostly day-to-day living devices, some a rare few with a more combative intent). the devices are keyed to the ogres activating them, even blindingly (while other people have to use UMD) and thus give them some measure of power in a mostly savage region, even though they are mostly, the archetype of dumb brutes. the varios "ogre lords" gather small ogre tribes who enslave the local orcs.

The Oni are to be smarter, and perhaps more capable of usings the relics of the past, or understanding the past as it is- this race and culture have eluded ALL historians from the more civilized Khorvaire races (requiring a high know check, or you know- exploring). the ruins of such a culture should represent the exact opposite of ogre society. might be interesting.

Thanks a lot for the idea, I really like it! now to refine it...

a cultural belief that life was about making sure that when you died you had the biggest, baddest entourage around your spirit. How do you do that? Any "intelligent" creature you killed was bound to serve you in the Afterlife

That is an interesting idea, that i would like to either add to the Gnoll belief system or perhaps even to the... Centaur's belief system? I'll need to think about it, but there should be some laws/ codes/ rulings/ limitations to how this can be done, or else they will always be on a murdering rampage, and i want them on the whole to be more... restrained.

Interesting idea, now how to work it in?

Mostly Knights, Castles and bowman/rangers of the woods style thing. Take Robin Hood as an example. Most folk are basic commoners, peasants and woodmen etc, but there are nobility with fine things, castles and knights /archers, strong church as a counterpower. However people would be more mobile and empowered, so there would likely be a bit more wealth and power in settlements. However with your nomad idea, it could well be that some of the population moves between fixed defendable settlements as traders and goods+food delivery from farms etc.

Most of the area is savage in nature, with a frontier civilized influence of the common Eberron races (minus warforged, before they were invented). Centaur are to be wild in my game. I do plane to have a few stable settlments, easily defended, mostly as central spiritual veneration point and perhaps to raise the young and so on. the rest will be mobile nomadic clans I think, with heavy wild spiritual influence, though not sure to what influence yet. Part of me wishes to go "respectful nature venerating free spirit" route, while another part wishes something along "crushing stampede". They can probably be worked (with added material, this is too thin) into something more interesting...

Slayers Guide to Gnolls was a pretty excellent bit of fluff, and if you try hard enough you can probably find a download of it.

Slayer's guide, eh? i'll ask one of my friends if he has the book. the guy has so many books...

They enslave "lesser" races, and believe in a might makes right to the extreme. Slayers also writes about them eating these slaves, which depending on your preference can be ignored or not.
For some reason i feel that in my campaign at least the gnolls will be prohibited from Slavery, though i don't know why exactly. Eating potential captives- yes, but slavery- no. (shrugs shoulders) i don't know why really, but i found it best not to go against my gut feeling. Slavery will be left for the ogres.

Oh, and rape was a fairly casual thing in gnoll society, and was how you settled most disputes with underlings and upstarts. Females have a pseudo penis for a reason, and use them for dominance displays.
There are some issues we don't go into in our games, rape is one of them. pseudo penises is another :smallwink: we try and keep it fairly clean (other than the violence, mayham and butchery that is...)

i'll try to see if my friend has it as well, though he doesn't have many PF books.

thank all!

The LOBster
2013-01-18, 08:16 PM
I understand the distaste of it, and it's rarely something I would ever bring up in a game (if ever), but it's a functional dominance display that has precedence in nature. I'm not sure how political correctness follows with female gnolls mounting males with their psuedopenises. More of a back-story flavoring to make things more barbaric compared to other strict might=right civilizations, even with all the dressings of an advanced for the time society.

Still, you could accomplish the same exact goal in your setting (showing gnolls are barbaric savages) by having them beat other gnolls to within an inch of their lives and not bring gratuitous rape into it. Like the article said, the first rule on bringing rape into a work is 1: don't.

Besides, if you want old monsters that are rapists for the sake of being grimdarker than standard fare, just use Pathfinder ogres.

AgentofHellfire
2013-01-18, 08:26 PM
It might be fun to have centaurs created as a slave race for a much greater power, to serve as intelligent scouts/riders/what have you, whose masters disappeared. As such, they basically got taken in by new providers--elves. It was, from the elven perspeetive, pretty damned amazing to have someone who could do practically all your farmwork for you, and fighting, and, well, anything other than studying magic and living it up.

And some centaurs...are beginning to realize they're being screwed.

Of course, you'd have to figure out why the initial centaurs decided to serve the elves--perhaps their sustenance requirements were narrower than most beings, and the elves had the food they needed. Perhaps they couldn't breed on their own at first, and needed elven help to deal with the problem so they could be ready for their masters if/when they returned. Perhaps they were vulnerable to some new disease, perhaps the surviving centaurs were younger and thus needed the care all infants do. Perhaps the elves were that greater race...etc., etc.

nedz
2013-01-18, 08:35 PM
Ooh, Suffrage Centaurs — they could have banners and stuff.
The throwing themselves under a horse thing would be so ironic.

The LOBster
2013-01-19, 03:01 PM
As for Ogre flavor, I recommend combining Ogres and Ogre Mages (or as they're called in 4e, Oni) into one thing. That way, you can have your trolls be the big dumb louts and not conflict to much with ogres, who are big SMART louts that are also INCREEEEEEDIBLY HAAAAAAAAMMY!

Basically, imagine an entire species of monsters that talk like Aku from Samurai Jack :P