PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Dagger-based Character Question

Domriso
2013-01-12, 12:58 PM
Hello Playgrounders, Domriso here for another question for the Cloud Intelligence.

In a rather unusual occurrence, I am actually playing a character in a Pathfinder game. In this particular case, I've decided to make a Rogue character who's focused on using daggers to incredible effect. I've already found the Knife Fighter archetype, but I was wondering if there were any other obvious ways to improve a Dagger-based character.

All official source-books are allowed, but no 3rd party materials. I'm not really looking for Cheese so much as just a well-optimized character, and I'm not as familiar with Pathfinder as with 3.5.

Any help in making a nice Dagger-wielder?

StreamOfTheSky
2013-01-12, 01:29 PM
Nothing really specific to daggers.

You could get the Blade of Mercy trait (deal nonlethal w/ slashing weapons at no penalty and get +1 damage when you do) to combo with the Enforcer feat (free demoralize attempt on every nonlethal hit with duration = damage dealt and a crit giving higher fear) if you choose to go for the Shatter Defenses feat. Which itself requires 2 other feats, one of them worthless, and you won't qualify for until level 8.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-01-13, 12:59 AM
I play a Knife Master Rogue in a campaign, and here's my logic.
1) The vast majority of your damage comes from sneak attack.
2) The more attacks you get, the more you get to roll sneak attack.
3) More attacks per round means more sneak attacks on a full attack.
4) Two-weapon fighting gives more attacks per round and thus increases damage.
5) You need dex for TWF, so the Agile ability lets you ignore strength and be more SAD.
I took the Minor Magic and Major Magic rogue talents to get Vanish, but Silent Image is also a good choice for an instant flanking partner. (Technically, illusions don't threaten (see the Threatening Illusion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/threatening-illusion-metamagic) feat), but logically speaking, they should, so you should be able to get your GM to say they do)

Another idea is basically that if you're higher level, you should go for the Brilliant Energy enhancement, because if you're aiming for touch and FF AC you pretty much always hit. On another note, another personal favorite weapon enhancement of mine is Spell Storing because it's so versatile. Shocking Grasp at low level, Vampiric Touch at high level, Lightning Bolt for range, or even Dispel Magic can all be put into your weapon by the party caster. If you're wielding two daggers, that's twice as many combinations. If you really want to go over the top, a +1 Spell Storing dagger is only 8000 gp- chump change at higher levels. You could get a whole bunch and preload each one with a different spell. You'd basically be Hawkeye, but instead of different explodey arrows you'd have daggers instead.

(Explodey is totally a word.)

TiaC
2013-01-13, 02:29 AM
Taking a level or two of Vivisectionist Alchemist would allow you to get the Extra Arm Discovery twice and double your attacks.

Doorhandle
2013-01-13, 02:48 AM
I'm pretty sure you can combine TWF and rapid shot, so consider that route if you get the drop on them. Consider a dagger of doubling for the cheapest way to ensure enough knives are present.

I'm assuming you have a flanking partner, so feint will be unnecessary.For the actually stabbing-in-the-back knife, a menacing dagger will increase flanking bonuses and will be useful for this purpose.

Otherwise, nothing specific to knives, no.