PDA

View Full Version : Getting more health as a construct

DarkEternal
2013-01-12, 01:51 PM
So, due to bad luck of the DM's roll, and everything, my character was basically turned into an automaton. So, of course I'm not in the best of moods, even though my DM(and a few party members think it is awesome for me for some reason). Being a guy that just wanted to be a hero, being turned into a semi living abomination that doesn't need to eat, breathe, or has no natural functions that a breathing human being has does not seem as "awesome". Mechanically, it is pretty good with allt he nifty things I get, but I still prefered my vulnerable flesh and bone. So yeah, they don't get why I am "iffed" with this change and want to go back which seems rather impossible, at least for a few levels more, if then(DM placed us in Ravenloft which we know little to nothing about and here the rules are seemingly different)

Anyway, while I did get some nice things, I also have very poor luck with die rolls for health which is why I counted on my nice Con to pull me out of that funk. Now that I have no Constitution rolls, my health is such that even with a d12 roll, I have like 10 hp more than our psionic at level 5(rolled 2 on my die health roll twice in a row, so yeah). And I know this trend will continue, so while I have fast healing 1, and Dr 1/-, this won't do me that much good in the heat of combat where I am usually in the front lines since the mobs here hit for like 20+ when they get close(I have 46 health at the moment). Any way how to get this number higher while being a construct or am I doomed here?

Sgt. Cookie
2013-01-12, 01:56 PM
Convince your DM that, since you're semi-living, you should be a Living Construct, mechanically at least.

qwertyu63
2013-01-12, 04:04 PM
Did you include your bonus HP from Construct Size? Medium constructs get +20 (Small is +10, Large is +30).

EDIT: Also, constructs have d10 hit dice, not d12.

Qc Storm
2013-01-12, 04:10 PM
Did you include your bonus HP from Construct Size? Medium constructs get +20 (Small is +10, Large is +30).

EDIT: Also, constructs have d10 hit dice, not d12.

You might want to bring up this rule and ask for an HP reroll using d10s.

DarkEternal
2013-01-12, 08:34 PM
Apparently this is some sort of a template that has the construct subtype but a lot of things different(fast healing 1, dr 1/-, every four levels I get +1 to Dex and Str, immunity to fort stuff, poison and disease, and every level an increase by 5 percent in resisting critical attacks and some other stuff which I kind of forgot by now)

qwertyu63
2013-01-12, 09:45 PM
Apparently this is some sort of a template that has the construct subtype but a lot of things different(fast healing 1, dr 1/-, every four levels I get +1 to Dex and Str, immunity to fort stuff, poison and disease, and every level an increase by 5 percent in resisting critical attacks and some other stuff which I kind of forgot by now)

Uh... Construct is not a sub-type, it is a full creature type. It sounds like your DM doesn't know what rules he is invoking.

toapat
2013-01-12, 09:52 PM
Uh... Construct is not a sub-type, it is a full creature type. It sounds like your DM doesn't know what rules he is invoking.

you can get the benefits and penalties of any type through the Augmented subtype

The Viscount
2013-01-14, 06:06 PM
Not 100% sure, but due to bonus HP rules from size, one might get more from use of expansion.

ZeroNumerous
2013-01-14, 06:26 PM
Maybe you should talk to your DM about just being a warforged rather than using his template. You get to play up the "I am Robo-cop" angle while still being able to get CON to HP and all kinds of interesting construct immunities.

DarkEternal
2013-01-15, 08:36 AM
I tried. Nada. I think I just drew the short end of the stick and now have to live like a living abomination of nature who's a frontline fighter with great immunities, low health and crusader abilities.

Pilo
2013-01-15, 08:57 AM
Or you can die and be reincarnated (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm). You will lose a level and have to reroll your physical stats but you will be flesh and bones again. You may use resurrection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resurrection.htm) to get back your former body but I am not sure of it.

shaikujin
2013-01-15, 09:03 AM
Would the incarnate construct template from savage species help you? It changes you back into a humanoid and allows you to reroll int and con if those are non-abilities for you currently.

You lose all racial special attacks/qualities if you have any (including your construct traits).

But it's negative 2 LA, so you can pick up a 2 LA template to grant you some bonus that's neither special attacks/qualities.

Vaz
2013-01-15, 09:31 AM
Problem is the spell to grant that is a 9th Level Spell. In ravenloft you don't get that far advanced, so you are unlikely to even find a friendly Caster capable of doing so; the only ones who can are likely your BBEG's, andnthose whonaren't your BBEG are usually friendly BBEG hoping to kill both you and their enemy.

If made during Character creation, fair enough. I'd probably reduce your WBL by that amount though.

DarkEternal
2013-01-15, 02:52 PM
Or you can die and be reincarnated (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm). You will lose a level and have to reroll your physical stats but you will be flesh and bones again. You may use resurrection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resurrection.htm) to get back your former body but I am not sure of it.

High level, but even if it was not, I read how ressurection spells work in Ravenloft, and it's not nice. Honestly, you have to roll fortitude saves that are pretty high for the chance.

AuraTwilight
2013-01-15, 06:31 PM

Reincarnate doesn't work on constructs.

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-15, 06:34 PM
Retire the character. Seriously, if you aren't happy, just retire the character. It's not that hard! Tell your GM, "I don't want to play this character any more. He walks off into the distance."

killem2
2013-01-17, 02:26 PM
So, due to bad luck of the DM's roll, and everything, my character was basically turned into an automaton. So, of course I'm not in the best of moods, even though my DM(and a few party members think it is awesome for me for some reason). Being a guy that just wanted to be a hero, being turned into a semi living abomination that doesn't need to eat, breathe, or has no natural functions that a breathing human being has does not seem as "awesome". Mechanically, it is pretty good with allt he nifty things I get, but I still prefered my vulnerable flesh and bone. So yeah, they don't get why I am "iffed" with this change and want to go back which seems rather impossible, at least for a few levels more, if then(DM placed us in Ravenloft which we know little to nothing about and here the rules are seemingly different)

Anyway, while I did get some nice things, I also have very poor luck with die rolls for health which is why I counted on my nice Con to pull me out of that funk. Now that I have no Constitution rolls, my health is such that even with a d12 roll, I have like 10 hp more than our psionic at level 5(rolled 2 on my die health roll twice in a row, so yeah). And I know this trend will continue, so while I have fast healing 1, and Dr 1/-, this won't do me that much good in the heat of combat where I am usually in the front lines since the mobs here hit for like 20+ when they get close(I have 46 health at the moment). Any way how to get this number higher while being a construct or am I doomed here?

I don't blame you for being annoyed. I would be annoyed if my Conjurer was turned into something with zero INT, but had amazing abilities. It's not what I signed up for. Sure the DM is with in their rights to make anything happen, but an unhappy player is never worth it.

At this point, if you can't get rid of the character, I would start looking into grafts. I thought there were some really out there grafts that gave you like wheels, and boulder launchers and stuff.

DarkEternal
2013-01-18, 08:31 AM
Grafts? Any specific book I should look this in?

Vizzerdrix
2013-01-18, 08:38 AM
I think he is refering to Maug grafts. dunno the book.

survient
2013-01-18, 08:48 AM
Grafts? Any specific book I should look this in?

Honestly if you're not happy I agree with Gavinfoxx, just retire the character, but if for some reason you want to run with it:

Magic of Eberron! If you're already a construct, might as well make yourself part undead or elemental too!

Another thing you might look at is warforged components. Just because you're not "living construct" doesn't mean your DM won't let you attach some of these to your body.

I'd look for some kind of way to harden your body to get DR, whether it be using plating or some kind of hardening spell. It's not direct HP, but it can help.

I'd dig around eberron for warforged-ish stuff that doesn't rely on them being "living" constructs, just constructs in general. Forge of War has some stuff,

http://dndtools.eu/feats/categories/warforged/

http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Warforged_Components (careful there's some 4.0 stuff in there, dig around for 3.5). Check the subject and look it up in the corresponding source book.