PDA

View Full Version : Personality flaws for new characters

Qc Storm
2013-01-12, 04:23 PM
Instead of using the standard D&D flaws (which everybody simply uses for minmaxing anyway), we enforce a rule where you must take personality flaws instead. They do not need to provide statistical maluses, but need to be somewhat significant.

An example of a bad flaw I gave my players was : "Being afraid of solar eclipses during the winter while hungry and standing on one foot". This is completely uninteresting will most likely never come up, ever.

However they are having problems finding good flaws, and thus, I am asking the forums for suggestions. The party consists of a Neutral Good Druid, a Lawful Good Paladin, and possibly a rogue.

EDIT :: Two flaws allowed. One flaw = one feat. Pretty good deal right?

Akto
2013-01-12, 04:27 PM
Playing a charackter right now who has a personality flaws which is Gambler, essentially he spents a lot of time gambling, but also if he is presented with a wager, he never backs down, loads of fun :P

HKR
2013-01-12, 04:51 PM
Playing a charackter right now who has a personality flaws which is Gambler, essentially he spents a lot of time gambling, but also if he is presented with a wager, he never backs down, loads of fun :P

That could actually provide many adventure hooks.
A few other flaws from the top of my mind are:
stinginess
laziness
lust
drug/alcohol addiction
naivety
racism (not the usual elf/dwarf racism but the nasty kind)
religious fanatism

Sandman
2013-01-12, 05:33 PM
This sounds more like the character traits from the same book, than flaws, and I don't think that it would be a good idea to give feats for them, as the penalty in some situations and bonus in others works fine.
If min-maxing is your concern, then it would propably make it worse, since the player doesn't have any real in-combat penalty for the bonus he got.

Also note that with them being personality based, it practically "locks" a character in a way of thinking (or he just can't use power attack anymore, because it was powered by his hatred of puppies).

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-12, 06:37 PM
I think it's good to encourage players to design a character with depth, and a personality trait that isn't necessarily beneficial is also good.

However, bribing characters into a certain flavor of role play with feats is bad, since there is no mechanic for a personality flaw, and you can't enforce role playing the flaw in an effective way. Taking away the bonus feat if they don't play ball just ends you back at square one, and the player might be bitter about feeling penalized for having their character evolve over the course of the game.

Custom flaws that you want tied into role play need to have custom penalties to justify a bonus feat.

Consider some other form of rewarding good character background and personality. Bonus feats is a pretty crude way to approach the thing, especially as you already said that you don't like the way flaws often end up being used.