PDA

View Full Version : Using Awaken for maximum fun and profit

AsteriskAmp
2013-01-12, 07:00 PM
Getting the idea from multiple threads about maximising and empowering awaken to have a 32HD Colossal Tree at level 9 got me thinking on how to get the most mileage out of the spell.

The main limitation with plants is that their HD are not very good in proportion to their CR, meaning such a tree, requiring a will save of 42, is only slightly better than you are; and to be able to consistently make that save you'd need to invest heavily.

In the case of animals the deal is slightly better; but it still requires for you to have the animal on proximity and relative passivity, which wouldn't be easy for such amusing treats as a battletitan.

So far I've only gone through the maximisation of will save stage.

Awakened Bat Druid 9
Wis starts of at 18, +6 because of awakened bat; +4 from Owl's Wisdom, +2 from level ups.
Druid Will save at level 9 is 6.
That's 16 from Ability and Base Save

Ruin Delver's Fortune casted by a lesser Aasimar sorcerer with Eagle Splendor would get you a +8 luck bonus to Will Saves

Said sorcerer could cast Greater Heroism from a scroll; that's a +4 morale bonus.

A true neutral cleric can cast guidance on you for a +1 Competence Bonus to your saving throw.

He can cast Superior Resistance from a scroll for a +6 resistance bonus.

Tyche's Touch casted by said cleric would also get you a +4 sacred bonus.

If he is also the cleric of a neutral evil deity Hand of Divinity will grant you a +2 profane bonus.

Which would allow you to pass the save on anything but a 1 for a colossal tree.

I was wondering of any particularly useful creatures to use this spell on; or more creative ways to maximise mileage out of it.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-12, 08:34 PM
Getting the idea from multiple threads about maximising and empowering awaken to have a 32HD Colossal Tree at level 9 got me thinking on how to get the most mileage out of the spell.

The main limitation with plants is that their HD are not very good in proportion to their CR, meaning such a tree, requiring a will save of 42, is only slightly better than you are; and to be able to consistently make that save you'd need to invest heavily.

In the case of animals the deal is slightly better; but it still requires for you to have the animal on proximity and relative passivity, which wouldn't be easy for such amusing treats as a battletitan.

So far I've only gone through the maximisation of will save stage.

Awakened Bat Druid 9
Wis starts of at 18, +6 because of awakened bat; +4 from Owl's Wisdom, +2 from level ups.
Druid Will save at level 9 is 6.
That's 16 from Ability and Base Save

Ruin Delver's Fortune casted by a lesser Aasimar sorcerer with Eagle Splendor would get you a +8 luck bonus to Will Saves

Said sorcerer could cast Greater Heroism from a scroll; that's a +4 morale bonus.

A true neutral cleric can cast guidance on you for a +1 Competence Bonus to your saving throw.

He can cast Superior Resistance from a scroll for a +6 resistance bonus.

Tyche's Touch casted by said cleric would also get you a +4 sacred bonus.

If he is also the cleric of a neutral evil deity Hand of Divinity will grant you a +2 profane bonus.

Which would allow you to pass the save on anything but a 1 for a colossal tree.

I was wondering of any particularly useful creatures to use this spell on; or more creative ways to maximise mileage out of it.

Don't know how useful it would be, but a roc might be interesting.

EDIT: a roc would only require a DC 28 will save. As for controling it... spamming charm monster should help. The thing only has a +9 will save.

Tvtyrant
2013-01-12, 08:43 PM
Get the spell for no XP. Then you can spam it on entire forests. Or permanent shrink item and then dispel+Awaken to get free companions during combat.

AsteriskAmp
2013-01-12, 08:52 PM
Get the spell for no XP. Then you can spam it on entire forests. Or permanent shrink item and then dispel+Awaken to get free companions during combat.How would one go about doing so?

24 hours casting time rules dweomerkeeper out; to get it as Spell-Like you need wizard prestiges...

24 casting time also rules out casting it during combat.

Tvtyrant
2013-01-12, 10:42 PM
If you find a way to turn a touch spell into an area spell, you could use two levels of Arcane Archer with 10 levels of Chameleon.

Then you would be able to awaken as a standard action arrow at a distance, but for the spell like I have no idea.

AsteriskAmp
2013-01-12, 10:46 PM
If you find a way to turn a touch spell into an area spell, you could use two levels of Arcane Archer with 10 levels of Chameleon.

Then you would be able to awaken as a standard action arrow at a distance, but for the spell like I have no idea.You need arcane casting for that; so you'd end up having to cast it from a druid scroll or doing so in epic. Could work... except I know of no way to get it into an area spell.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-12, 11:08 PM
Well, there is the arcane heirophant PrC (a petty decent wizard/druid theurge class.) Might that help?

Sgt. Cookie
2013-01-12, 11:22 PM
If you have Savage Species, have a look at the Symbiote template, but if you're lactose intolerant, you should stay well away.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-12, 11:28 PM
If you have Savage Species, have a look at the Symbiote template, but if you're lactose intolerant, you should stay well away.

actually, that book's cheese is aged enough to have lost all its lactose.

might want some airfreshener, though. :smalltongue: