PDA

View Full Version : Dragonmech Coglayer Inventions

TrustworthyGuy
2013-01-12, 07:56 PM
Hello everyone. I wanted to start a thread on here to get a little feedback on an invention or two that I've made with my coglayer, and see some of the things other players have come up with.

I'm getting back into my group as a level 5 Coglayer after a recent hiatus, and as of late I've run into a bit of a disagreement with my DM on how an invention of mine functions, and I wanted a bit of input from an experienced community.

Seasoned Coglayer players will know the true power of the class comes when combining steampowers with existing items. I myself found this when I began upgrading the otherwise unassuming Steam Gun. I used steampowers from both Dragonmech and Steam Warriors.

Default Stats: 1d10 crit x2 200 ft effective range, fires every other round.

Well right off the bat the hinderance of this weapon was its inability to fire only every other round, so I fixed that with the application of a Flywheel. I also got sick of reloading, so I added an automator with the function of reloading, which took that annoyance off my hands.

Later as we leveled, I found the 1d10 damage to be lacking in some fights (our DM very much so likes to pit us against mobs with CR substantially higher than our own). So, once I was able to use my Intergrated Parts ability at level 3, I added a boiler, and integrated it with my Flyweel, bringing its effective weight to under 1 pound.

The boiler in the description reads that it essentially provides double output from any steam engine. I read this that the net effect on my rifle would be with the new stats of:

2d10 (1d20) x2 crit 400 ft effective range.

To this point my DM and I see eye to eye, we begin to lose one another shortly.

Note however, with four steam powers I have turned a starting weapon into a rather deadly instrument of destruction. With a few more, in the form of three amplifiers placed between the steam output of the engine, and the barrel, it becomes essentially a portable howitzer, or more akin to a Barrett .50 Sniper Rifle.

The description on an amplifier reads as follows.

"The amplifier is a powerful component
that accepts energy as an input. Its output is
the same energy, but greatly magnified.
Any nonmagical source of heat, cold,
light, or other energy will work as an input.
The amplifier increases the power of the
energy in increments of its base value. For
example, a device with a base range of 50 ft.
would have a range of 100 ft. with one amplifier,
150 ft. with two, and 200 ft. with three.
Effects that cause damage have their die
sizes increased by 1 (in this progression: 1d4,
1d6, 1d8, 1d10, 1d12, 1d20, 2d20, 3d20, etc.).
The DC of any applicable saving throws is
increased by 2. For example, an amplifier
combined with a pilot light produces a flame
that causes 1d6 damage, illuminates a 10 foot
by 10 foot area, and can ignite a fire on any
target that is stationary for one round. Amplifiers can be stacked. A second
amplifier added to the above example
produces a flame that causes 1d8 damage,
illuminates a 15 foot by 15 foot area, and can
ignite a fire on any successful attack. As you
can see, some degree of DM discretion may
be required in adjudicating the effects. The
determination that the fire is caused on a
successful attack, as opposed to a touch
attack, is for game balance reasons."

Now, it even specifies in the description that DM adjucation may be in order with this item, as it is fairly amazing. I understand that, and I have even offered to remove a few amplifiers in choice of other powers, but the disagreement itself is in how the progression of these amplifiers would work.

With this definition it is my understanding that amplifier adds the base of the item onto itself cumulatively, in this case a weapon with a base damage of 2d10 (1d20) and a 400 foot range would then have a range of 800 feet, and a 4d10 (2d20) damage after one amplifier. As it says in the description, amplifiers can be stacked, and I used this to produce the following results.

With three amplifiers, the sum total (if I interpreted the items correctly) would be a weapon with a 8d10 (4d20) damage threshold, and a range of 1600 feet. I'm not even sure how critical modifiers play into amplifiers, and they're not expressly mentioned, so that stays at x2.

Base 1d10 200 ft
Boiler 2d10 400 ft
Amp 1 4d10 800ft
Amp 2 6d10 1200 ft
Amp 3 8d10 1600 ft

At least this is my understanding of how these items should work in conjunction with one another. Input is greatly appreciated, also general Coglayer invention topic for zany creations. I once also made a helmet with a light generator, several amps and a voice activation that would strobe to blind enemies with the phrase "SOLAR FLARE" as a quick action. Good times.

Also thank you for any replies.