PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfire Adept - Scout

Aerovaeros
2013-01-12, 08:43 PM
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew if the Scouts Skirmish ability would work with the dragonfire Adepts breath weapon, also if it would to be within 30ft if so

Aerovaeros
2013-01-12, 08:45 PM
I also want to know if anyone has any advice on some good vs melee/range feats. Within lvl 10

Darrin
2013-01-12, 08:51 PM
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew if the Scouts Skirmish ability would work with the dragonfire Adepts breath weapon, also if it would to be within 30ft if so

No. Skirmish only applies to melee attacks and ranged attacks within 30'. Breath weapons are area effects, and can't be used with precision damage.

For feat advice, are you asking for a Dragonfire Adept build or is this a Scout build? If so, what weapons do you prefer, and what books/sources are available?

Aerovaeros
2013-01-12, 09:02 PM
Its dragonfire adept based, but I wanted to find a skill class to mix with it. dragon magic, core, draconomicon, All the completes, unearthed arcane, and the eberron books, and dragon races
I'll probably go with wands

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-12, 09:43 PM
Spellthief might mix well, as both share a 'secondary' focus on Charisma while granting arcane abilities, as well as spelltheft.

(AFB, but does DFA count for Master Spellthief from Complete Mage?)

Cog
2013-01-12, 10:23 PM
Nope. The feat only applies to spellcasting classes.

mattie_p
2013-01-12, 10:29 PM

I don't think it does. (Master Spellthief is from Complete Scoundrel, by the way).

"Dragonfire adepts have no arcane or divine magic"

"A dragonfire adept cannot qualify for prestige classes (or other game options) with spellcasting level requirements" (emphasis mine).

By the second quote, I gather the DFA can take the feat, but because it goes off of arcane spellcaster level (rather than just caster level) the DFA levels won't stack with that feat. The feat doesn't require spellcaster levels, but the benefits only accrue with spellcaster levels, which DFA doesn't grant.

Ignoring the fact that Spellthief 1 / anything 19 + Master Spellthief is straight cheese, if you allow that, I don't see any reason (for balance!) that DFA shouldn't work (other than the RAW above).

nedz
2013-01-12, 10:31 PM
It depends what you want from the skills class ?

Tracking ?
Trapfinding ?

Ranger might be worth a look.
Alternatively Beguiler ?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-12, 11:18 PM
I don't think it does. (Master Spellthief is from Complete Scoundrel, by the way).

"Dragonfire adepts have no arcane or divine magic"

"A dragonfire adept cannot qualify for prestige classes (or other game options) with spellcasting level requirements" (emphasis mine).

By the second quote, I gather the DFA can take the feat, but because it goes off of arcane spellcaster level (rather than just caster level) the DFA levels won't stack with that feat. The feat doesn't require spellcaster levels, but the benefits only accrue with spellcaster levels, which DFA doesn't grant.

Ignoring the fact that Spellthief 1 / anything 19 + Master Spellthief is straight cheese, if you allow that, I don't see any reason (for balance!) that DFA shouldn't work (other than the RAW above).

Actually, RAW, looking things over, I'd argue that it does work... provided that the Spellthief take it as ninth level feat (as a spellthief 8/DFA 1). Pre-reqs state ability to cast 2nd level spells and steal spell. Nowhere does it state that they must come from separate classes. Since Spellthief get their own spellcasting progression, he's qualifying completely by himself, ignoring his DFA level entirely for qualifying (but reaping the benefits).

In the "Dragonfire Adept and Prestige Classes" sidebar, it goes on how they receive special benefits from PrCs that grant "+1 level of arcane spellcasting class". Since the benefit of the feat has nothing to do with spell levels (just caster levels, which DFAs explicitly qualify for, as stated in the aforementioned sidebar), I see no reason why RAW, it wouldn't stack.

Hells, I see no reason why you couldn't pull this off as a warlock, either. They work on the same principles.

mattie_p
2013-01-13, 08:11 AM
I'm not arguing you can't take the feat (could also do Spellthief 1 / Wiz 3 to qualify then DFA, among other things), I'm just saying if you manage to, the levels wouldn't stack for the feat.

Benefit: Your spellthief levels stack with levels of other arcane spellcaster classes (that is, levels of any class that grants arcane spellcasting other than the spellthief

Then look at my quotes from Dragonfire Adept in that context.