PDA

View Full Version : Tracking without feat

Zenoroth
2013-01-12, 09:19 PM
Hi all! First poster here!

Is there any way to get Track without ranger dip or choosing the feat? I'm looking for an item, maybe a spell I can put into some ring, something like that, something that doesnt alter my build.

My char is a lvl 4 Scout and got high survival and search but the only open feat in my build for Track is at lvl 18 and I cant wait that long...

Books allowed by my DM: PHB and PHBII, DMG and DMGII, MM, SpC, MiC, CAdv, CArcane, CWarrior, CDivine, maybe I could get him to allow UA.

Thanks in advance! :smallsmile:

Kobold Esq
2013-01-12, 09:48 PM
It may be easier to get scent than track.

Zenoroth
2013-01-12, 09:53 PM
It may be easier to get scent than track.

Thanks for the answer but SRD states about Scent:

A creature with the Track feat and the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a Wisdom check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is.... (blah blah blah)

That was a good idea tough, if I can get Track I'll try to get Scent too :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2013-01-12, 09:55 PM
The Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff) claim that Deepwarden and Sentinel of Bharrai both get Track. I cannot verify that at the moment, though.

Piggy Knowles
2013-01-12, 09:57 PM
There's a mask in the MIC that grants Track. It's part of one of the item sets, but I can't recall which one offhand (IIRC, it's tiger themed?). When I get home to my books, I can give you more details.

mattie_p
2013-01-12, 10:14 PM
Hunter's Circlet (Soulborn, Totemist) + Crown Chakra bind gets you track, but without seeing your build I suspect that is a detour you don't want to pursue.

Mask of the Tiger (as Piggy Knowles mentioned, MIC, p200) gets you Track for only 4,000 gp.

nedz
2013-01-12, 10:34 PM
A 1 level Warlock dip can get you Scent via the Serpent's Tongue invocation from CMage. You also get +5 on saves against poison.

Zenoroth
2013-01-12, 10:37 PM
Thanks everyone!! Time to go hunt that mask, and maybe all the tiger items (my DM only allows set items by questing, might as well get them all :P).
I'm using Goggles of Minute Seeing (+5 Search) but I can put the mask on everytime I need tracking.
Is it possible to add a Dex enchantment to the gloves of that set? Would it cost 4000 as Gloves of Dexterity or more?

Piggy Knowles
2013-01-12, 10:38 PM
Mask of the Tiger (as Piggy Knowles mentioned, MIC, p200) gets you Track for only 4,000 gp.

Huh... I remembered it was a tiger themed mask, didn't think it was that simple...

Flickerdart
2013-01-12, 10:39 PM
Thanks everyone!! Time to go hunt that mask, and maybe all the tiger items (my DM only allows set items by questing, might as well get them all :P).
I'm using Goggles of Minute Seeing (+5 Search) but I can put the mask on everytime I need tracking.
Is it possible to add a Dex enchantment to the gloves of that set? Would it cost 4000 as Gloves of Dexterity or more?
Magic Item Compendium adds guidelines for combining item properties. IIRC, it doesn't cost extra to add stat-booster properties on to other items of that slot.

Zenoroth
2013-01-12, 10:51 PM
Thanks, I looked it up, it costs the same 4000 as buying new gloves.

Now, about Scent, I don't think my DM would allow Complete Mage, no one in our group owns that book. Any other way to get that? If not, it's ok, I got a lot of answers in one day :smallsmile:

Kerilstrasz
2013-01-13, 12:48 AM
there is an 0 or 1st lvl arcane spell... i think it will do some good if not solving
your problem...

reserving the spot to edit it... just need to go through my library for it... might take some time...

Edit: Heh Found it :)))
It comes from Swords and Sorcery - Book of Eldritch Might 3 - The Nexus
Recent Occupant
Divination
Level: Asn 1, Brd 0, Drd 1, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: Standard action
Range: 20 feet
Area: 20-foot radius centered around you
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
You learn the name and race of the last creature with
Intelligence 3 or higher who occupied the area for at least
1 round. You also learn how long ago this creature occupied
it. This spell proves very useful for tracking (or avoiding) foes.
It's not actually "Track" but it is a lvl 0 spell that if you spam it correctly you
can follow an individual (or groups).. The good about it is you dont actually
looking for tracks, so no matter how much time passed you will always get
a very precise answer (name,race & when)

Edit2: Hmm .. just saw your allowed books... dunno.. you might as well ask your DM
to get it in a eternal wand??? so your group's arcane caster may use it...
maybe a magic shop in a big town.. that gnome shop keeper has it at his
basement sitting there all dusty...

nedz
2013-01-13, 05:39 AM
Well you could (have) take(n) Track as a Scout feat ?

Can you post an outline of your build please ?
It would help narrow down the options.

There is a standard build based on a feat from CSco called Swift Hunter which would look like Scout 4/Ranger 16, but you are not using CSco so this is out.

mattie_p
2013-01-13, 07:50 AM
Now, about Scent, I don't think my DM would allow Complete Mage, no one in our group owns that book. Any other way to get that? If not, it's ok, I got a lot of answers in one day :smallsmile:

Just go to the list of stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff), it has the answers (snipped out the methods from disallowed sources):

Animal Lord (wolflord) 3, ecl 8, Complete Adventurer, improves at level 7, see text
Beastmaster 8, ecl 13, Complete Adventurer
Bloodhound 9, ecl 13, Complete Adventurer
Bear Warrior 3, ecl 10, Complete Warrior
Geomancer 7 (stage 4 drift), ecl 13, Complete Divine, 30'
Scent, wild feat, Complete Adventurer, limited duration

Telok
2013-01-13, 08:19 AM
Buy a dog (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dog.htm). 25 gold.

Scent, track, guard, and way more loyal and friendly than the rest of the murder hobos that most adventurers call their "friends".

Zenoroth
2013-01-13, 08:41 AM
nedz :
I'm goin with: (Flaws not allowed)
stats: 14 18 16 15 15 11 (rolled)
1. Point Blank Shot
Human: Precise Shot
3. Tactile Trapsmith.
4 (scout): Dodge
6: Rapid Shot.
8: Mobility
9: Manyshot
12: Greater Manyshot (allowed specially for me :D) and Shot on the Run (Scout)

It's a build I got from a Scout's Handbook.
I was thinking of getting track at lvl 3, but Tactile Trapsmith was somethin I could not pass :P

mattie_p:
I checked the lists of stuff, could not find anything in the books allowed or without choosing feats or prestiges.

Telok:
I think I'll get one. Good idea! :smalltongue: I could maybe ask my dm to customize it and up it's survival and lower it's spot or listen since i'm maxing those.
I think I could also ask him to let me use my survival check to track with dogs scent.

mattie_p
2013-01-13, 08:49 AM
We'd like to see the classes you have selected as well. Are you going straight scout? Thanks for posting feats.

There are some armors in MIC that get you scent twice a day for 5 rounds each, but that is not enough to track.

nedz
2013-01-13, 11:16 AM
We'd like to see the classes you have selected as well. Are you going straight scout? Thanks for posting feats.

The fact that he has a Scout bonus feat at 4th, 8th and 12th indicates that this is a straight Scout build.

It is possible to dip one or two levels of Fighter for one or two fighter feats, which many of these are, which would then free up general or scout feat for other things. But then you could dip Ranger for Track.

I notice that you don't have Improved Skirmish ?
This is a good way of adding 2d6 to your precision damage.

Your build is feat hungry — partly because this is an archer — but also because you are trying to do too much.

You are spending 5 feats for Greater Manyshot, and 3 more for Shot on the Run.

I'm going to go with Telok's suggestion:
Spend skill points on Handle Animal and buy a dog — at least for the moment.

Zenoroth
2013-01-14, 02:12 AM
Well, my main idea was to be the group's skill monkey AND still help with an archery build. Me and my group are quite new and I don't think my DM will put us against too hard skill DCs, so I tought I'd only use tactile trapsmith and let all my other feats for combat.
I'll give some tought to fighter or ranger dip, tough I didn't really want dipping:
Fighter because of low skills (I know I said my DM was goin easy, but you never know), and my problem with Ranger is... this char doesn't love nature. It's like dungeons and natural environments are places where one must be quick, cunning, wise, to survive, travel or adventure, not somethin to revere or protect. That's what I wanted to make of him. It's a fluff problem :smallbiggrin:

Anyways, (possibly trained) Dog and Tiger Mask seems the ways to go for now, thanks everyone who answered!! :smallsmile:

Edit: Improved Skirmish is Complete Scoundrel, another book we don't own :smallfrown:

nedz
2013-01-14, 04:37 AM
Rangers don't have to love nature. You can easily ignore those bits of the class, they're not the important bits anyway.