PDA

View Full Version : Megadungeon (OOC) II



Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Malimar
2013-01-12, 11:11 PM
New OOC Thread Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16598333)


This post as it was at the time of the switch to the new thread:
Party A (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241059)
{table=head]Player|Character|Ali.|Race|Class|IPS
Kremti|Kataun Yriand (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=324432)|CG|human|crusader/barbarian
bobthe6th|Dave Davenport (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=313119)|CN|human|warlock|5
RCgothic|Lauren Norovathar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=323564)|NG|gray elf|wizard|3-5
littlebum2002|Elian Windsailor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=683609)|LG|human|factotum|
Bayar|Diane "Gasket" Karr of the Ankeg (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=681309)|LN|engineer|artifice r|
[/table]

Party B (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13484559)
{table=head]Player|Character|Ali.|Race|Class|IPS
RCgothic|Eleanor Savreux (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=406613)|NG|human|crusader|3-5
Sliver|Scarecrow (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=417566)|NG|warforged|dragonf ire adept
D_Man_7733|Garol Drandej (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=420146)|CG|half-orc|marshal|<5
RaggedAngel|Doldor Wildheart (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=321802)|NG|dwarf (throwback)|druid
Rizban|Shian (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=626281)|NG|hengeyokai (sparrow)|incarnate
[/table]

Party C (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13528108)
{table=head]Player|Character|Ali.|Race|Class|IPS
ForzaFiori|Ekin "Quickfix" Lodert (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=312582)|LN|engineer|rogue|an y
Doxkid|Haseo Bune (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=504511)|NE|human|dread necromancer
Madcrafter|Kethin Lanthar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=417569)|N|human|factotum
[/table]

Party D (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16251124#post16251124)
{table=head]Player|Character|Ali.|Race|Class|IPS
Aldhissla|Agam ken-Maka (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=680877)|N|feral gargun|feral gargun|
nersxe|Raziel (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=680994)|NG|astral deva|astral deva|large
Falco1029|Zanaver Tarfire (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiO83u4T6xHedEdjLUxKWXNiRkJhaU1yUVlaSk5Hb EE#gid=0)|LE|lesser tiefling|beguiler|any
Doc Kraken|Boznit (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=680169)|CN|goblin|rogue|
zlefin|Jamb (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=58401)|CG|human|dragon shaman|4-6
shadowsedge|Takarin (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=683375)|CN|elan|psychic warrior|
[/table]

Waiting for a Party
{table=head]Player|Character|Ali.|Race|Class|IPS
WebTiefling|Mikk Heart Thief (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=685419)|LN|whisper gnome (throwback)|rogue|
limejuicepowder|Brufial Nostraf (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=601159)|N|changeling|binder|
Zethex|Neella "Stonefoot" Dunfildr (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=695674)|NG|earth dwarf (throwback)|rogue|>4, w/ Artorias
Artorias|Leontius/Erebus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=695577)|N/CE|silverbrow human|warblade|w/ Zethex
[/table]
Aroldo the mongrelfolk warrior 1 hireling
Mattan the mongrelfolk warrior 1 hireling


You are placed on this list if you've expressed interest but not yet created a sheet, or if you were in an IC thread but have stopped posting, or if you were in the first round of parties and haven't expressed interest in the second round. All you need to do to get moved to the Waiting For a Party list is have a completed sheet and say you're ready.
{table=head]Player|Character|Ali.|Race|Class|IPS
EvilMageTim|Daeryn Abernek (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=312131)|N|human|soulknife|4-5
Justin Time|Darien Talred (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=313015)|LG|human|paladin
cthulutastesgoo|Rakdos Benari (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=11359)|CN|human|fighter
Fan|Gabriel Valteir (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=312512)|CG|human|bard
Greystone|Lyra Va'Drescos (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=312507)|N|human|swashbuckler |4-5
Eruantion|Rorst Danfey (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=331696)|N|human|fighter|4-6
HCL|Xin Zhao (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=334612)|NE|human|factotum
ChiefLeaf|Charon the Sesquipedalian (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=330370)|LE|mongrelfolk|barba rian|4+
Scotty88|Kaiser Genji (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=237039)|LN|human|dragon shaman
jvluso|Michel Fir (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=313595)|LN|mongrelfolk|incar nate|2-6
Smokin Red|Pierre de Frappé (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=328314)|CN|gnome|beguiler|4+
Jinx1016|Xerxes Phivix (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=328538)|LN|fire elf|factotum|4-5
Varil|Ix (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=329277)|LN|hellbred|sorcerer
Prendre|Belric (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=313354)|CN|human|warlock
Drogos|Maladar Stormbreak (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=253639)|CN|human|sorcerer|4-5
Flame9006|Sorek (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=325193)|CG|human|ranger
jvluso|Sovekiss Thur-Nailo (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=325127)|NG|mongrelfolk|cleri c|2-6
SleepyBadger|Talos Geecyn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=312960)|CN|human|warblade|5
Ivellius|Leodric Savagekin (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=312347)|N|half-orc|druid
RCgothic|Tanya Onasi (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=331930)|NG|human|warblade|3-5
Moranica|Grunfold (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=313094)|CN|whisper gnome|rogue|3-4
Justyn|Zalkess (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=328741)|NG|lizardfolk|lizard folk(/fighter)
Ellisande|Chanosia Sondassa (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=420118)|NG|elf|battle sorceress
Matt Helm|Quar Athareen (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=418167)|LG|elf|fighter
rorikdude12|Francisco DeLaverde (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=37962)|N|human|ranger
planswalker|Hippolitus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=313821)|LG|silverbrow human|sorcerer|3-4
Noctemwolf|Kellz "LittleMind" Nackle (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=15496)|LG|engineer|psion
Tyndmyr|Tynd (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=329600)|N|half-elf|half-elf paragon(/wizard)|3-4
TooManySecrets|Prophet, 124C (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=417723)|NG|warforged|artific er
RadicalTurnip|Placid (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=417389)|LG|human|monk
monkeyboyinc|Adrian Smith (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=314176)|N|human|ranger|4-6
mrcarter11|Keylin Lakar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=313081)|LE|human|swordsage|3-4
BelGareth|Jarrus GiantsBane (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=616940)|CG|halfling|bard
Ziegander|Grahm Moonfalx (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=686591)|LG|human|druid|
[/table]

The above is a list of everybody that has expressed an interest in joining. When there are 5 additional characters ready to begin playing, I may start another party off in the world, up to approximately 3 parties. I will try to take your Ideal Party Size into account, but under a limited-number-of-parties system, this is not always possible.

Posting Policies:

Put your character's name, in bold, at or near the top of every post you make.
Post in the present tense.
OOC comments and die rolls should be in [spoiler] tags.
Out of combat, I will try to post whenever there is new information I need to convey. Post as much as you want without waiting for me, unless you're waiting on me to answer a question or describe a new area or something along those lines.
In combat, I will try to post once all players have posted, or once 48 hours have elapsed since the last time I posted, whichever is sooner. Players who haven't posted in that time delay until the beginning of the following round.
Questions/rolls about what your character knows should be posted in your IC thread.


1. What game system are you running? D&D 3.5e

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be? What is the setting for the game? My campaign setting (http://highseas.wikia.com/wiki/Category:World).

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? As many players as are interested. Each party will be sized depending on the desires of its members. Players may drop out and/or join in between trips to the dungeon if they so choose. So if it turns out to not be your cup of tea after all, you're only committed for maybe a few weeks, at which point you can decide whether to stay or go. If you don't get into one group, you'll be able to join in later as people drop out.

4. What's the gaming medium? PbP on these here forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status? Starting at 0 experience.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? Each character will start with 1,000gp and an adventurer's kit consisting of a backpack, 5 torches, flint & steel, 50' hempen rope, a waterskin, and clothing of your choice (excluding courtier's outfit, noble's outfit, and royal outfit).

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? No homebrew. I'm okay with classes from any allowed source (http://highseas.wikia.com/wiki/House_Rules#Complete_List_of_Permitted_Sources). Try to keep it low-to-medium-op if possible; aim for tier 3 (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1002.0) (things like heavily optimized tier 5 and deliberately unoptimized tier 1 are also acceptable). Try to refrain from going high-op.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? Races from any of the acceptable sources are generally acceptable.
Pretty much any race is fine, though certain races (orcs, halflings) are rarer than usual in my setting so, they're likely to be among the last of your kind. And certain races (drow, goliath) now have the [Extraplanar] subtype.
There's one homebrew race (the engineers (http://highseas.wikia.com/wiki/Engineers)) which I haven't extensively tested or gotten feedback on, so you can use it but I provisionally reserve the right to alter it on the fly if I notice major problems.
If you want to play a creature with a level adjustment or racial hit dice, you may use a monster class. If there isn't an official published monster class for the race anywhere, but you can point me towards a homebrewed monster class that follows the standard monster class guidelines, that's usually fine. Otherwise, no homebrew.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? 30 point buy. First level: max hit points. Subsequent levels: half the maximum size of your hit die, plus 1 (d4=3, d6=4, d8=5, d10=6, d12=7).

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? I do use alignment. However, with the exception of class features (e.g., the paladin's code, the monk's "always lawful"), it is a description, not a restriction. There will be no "You can't do that, you're supposed to be Lawful Good", there will only be, for example, "I've noticed a consistent pattern of non-lawful behavior. Consider bumping your alignment over to Neutral Good."
You may play any alignment, but PvP is entirely allowed, so an evil character in a good party may be approximately as inadvisable as a stick-up-somewhere-inappropriate paladin in a neutral party.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? There are no experience penalties for multi-classing. Instead, characters get a bonus feat which makes it slightly easier to multiclass into their racial favored class.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? We'll use the forum's dice-rolling system. In general, you should roll your own dice, either in the IC thread or the dice-rolling thread. When necessary, I will consult your sheets and use the forum's dice roller to roll reactive things (e.g. initiative, saving throws, certain spot/listen checks) for players, rather than calling for you to roll them.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. Houserules (http://highseas.wikia.com/wiki/House_Rules). More general information (http://highseas.wikia.com/wiki/Highseas_Wiki).

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? A background is not required, but may be rewarded (rewards may include, but are not necessarily limited to, hanging plots on any hooks you give me). Same goes for a picture. Said background should ideally have your character plausibly winding up in the mongrelfolk city of Endeesy. Strongly consider including one or two obvious plot hooks for me to seize upon and mercilessly abuse.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? By default, mostly hack & slash, with scattered puzzles. I'm fine with as much or as little roleplaying as the players desire -- this is a player-driven campaign, so how much of what you get will depend largely on what you do. There may be roleplaying-based challenges, which you can attempt or ignore like every other challenge I offer.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? In general: content from any 3.5e (and some 3.0) rulebook or supplement published by Wizards Of The Coast is safe to use. Other sources may be permitted on a case-by-case basis. Homebrew other than materials I provide will be permitted only very rarely. More specifically, a list of explicitly permitted sources can be found here (http://highseas.wikia.com/wiki/House_Rules#Complete_List_of_Permitted_Sources).

To sign up, simply post a link to a character sheet (mythweavers works well), claim a colour, and, if you'd prefer a party larger or smaller than 5 people, mention that, too (though I won't necessarily be able to accomodate you in terms of party size, I'll try).

Dice Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14519225)
OOC I Archive (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11395697)
Party 1 Archive (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11424315)
Party 2 Archive (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207649)
Party 3 Archive (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11448027)
Party 4 Archive (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11489883)
Party 5 Archive (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11867638#post11867638)
Party A-II Archive (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13412213)

Sliver
2013-01-12, 11:17 PM
Scarecrow ready for duty. :smallbiggrin:

bobthe6th
2013-01-12, 11:49 PM
Now, what was in that cave...

planswalker
2013-01-13, 12:00 AM
rolling for crit:

[roll0]
[roll1]

bobthe6th
2013-01-13, 12:32 AM
Sigh... need a rogue for this sort of thing. Well, back to endless laser beam attack!

Madcrafter
2013-01-13, 02:29 AM
Hrm, good thing I keep all those old character sheets around. Glad to have you back Malimar.

bobthe6th
2013-01-13, 12:28 PM
ok, just wondering, did you ever aprove the unkindeness (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251809)?
I vaguely remember that was why Dave got a raven familiar.

Malimar
2013-01-13, 12:32 PM
ok, just wondering, did you ever aprove the unkindeness (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251809)?
I vaguely remember that was why Dave got a raven familiar.

I do believe I did approve that, yes. Very flavorful.

Sliver
2013-01-14, 02:09 AM
I feel alone in my group. :smallfrown:

Kremti
2013-01-14, 11:36 AM
Oh yeah, now that this is back up, there's one thing I wanted to fix about Kataun.

One of the most aggrevating thing so far has been all the "swings and misses" on the healing-maneuvers. Also Stand-Still has been kind of disappointing. So I am hoping to retrain that at some point, to something that helps to connect better.

It occurred to me that Kataun can pick up a maneuver with a feat, and Distracting Ember actually might be the best one. Provides flanking for +2 to hit, and am sure Kataun enjoys FIRE!

So can I do that with maybe retraining? Didn't bother to retrain for level 2 because this idea didn't occur to me when he hit level 2. Or maybe do it at level 3 bump?

-K

Malimar
2013-01-14, 01:19 PM
Oh yeah, now that this is back up, there's one thing I wanted to fix about Kataun.

One of the most aggrevating thing so far has been all the "swings and misses" on the healing-maneuvers. Also Stand-Still has been kind of disappointing. So I am hoping to retrain that at some point, to something that helps to connect better.

It occurred to me that Kataun can pick up a maneuver with a feat, and Distracting Ember actually might be the best one. Provides flanking for +2 to hit, and am sure Kataun enjoys FIRE!

So can I do that with maybe retraining? Didn't bother to retrain for level 2 because this idea didn't occur to me when he hit level 2. Or maybe do it at level 3 bump?

-K

You can absolutely retrain one thing every time you level up, as per PHBII. So you can retrain that when you ding 3.

Sliver
2013-01-14, 01:21 PM
What will happen if nobody else from my group shows up? :smallfrown:

Malimar
2013-01-14, 01:39 PM
What will happen if nobody else from my group shows up? :smallfrown:

You'll wind up joining another group, probably.

Kremti
2013-01-14, 01:42 PM
Oh, don't forget the Party I also includes Rocinante, the horsie. Not that he is a intelligent NPC but am just sayin'

-K

bobthe6th
2013-01-14, 04:51 PM
So, do we all get XP despite doing absolutely nothing to help Hipp fight the walrus? Or is dave getting XP for shooting at poor, defenseless doors?

Also, got to love a dungeon crawl with no rogue or rogue like charicters... and the lock picking is done by the warlock with lazer beams.

Sliver
2013-01-14, 04:52 PM
Why do you blast the entire door and not just the hinges or the lock itself?

Kremti
2013-01-14, 05:06 PM
Two words: Why not~!

-K

Sliver
2013-01-14, 05:09 PM
One word: Speed.

RCgothic
2013-01-14, 05:15 PM
Giantitp has been down a lot today, but I'll try and get some posts up within 24 hours.

bobthe6th
2013-01-14, 05:21 PM
I mean... D&D tends to ignore called shot rules. Also, most doors have the hinges on the inside, as having them on the outside makes locks pointless.

So just shooting at doors seems viable... though they sadly can't cry out in agony.

Kremti
2013-01-14, 05:35 PM
Now I'm imagining antholomorphic door, sentient, able to feel pain, but unable to speak or move or otherwise express anything...

screaming silently in agony from Dave's lasers.

-K

D_Man_7733
2013-01-14, 05:48 PM
Forget the rogue, get someone who can awaken doors, so they do cry out in agony :smallbiggrin:.

Kremti
2013-01-14, 05:54 PM
Forget the rogue, get someone who can awaken doors, so they do cry out in agony :smallbiggrin:.

Easiest way to do this, is as usual, Artificer :p

(Who, incidentally, can also pick locks...)

-K

bobthe6th
2013-01-14, 06:13 PM
Can't wait for the animated puzzle door.

"To pass you must solve the riddles three. The first oh god, the pain!?! not in the door knob! ah!!!!!" *door falls backwards and explodes*

Malimar
2013-01-14, 06:22 PM
I mean... D&D tends to ignore called shot rules.

For the record: doors, locks, and hinges are an exception (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/dungeons.htm#doors) to the "no way to target part of an object" thing; they count as different objects. They are, however, the strongest part of most doors.

bobthe6th
2013-01-14, 06:27 PM
Well, I would argue that if they used a pin, with a little work you could just slice the pins top off and pull the pin through...

but yeah, doors.

RCgothic
2013-01-15, 08:35 AM
Well that's me up to date!

I wonder if Leonora might just consider speaking to the elvish woman in elvish? Although to be fair Chanosia has no reason to think it might speak elvish and she addressed Leonora in Common. Perhaps Leonora doesn't have the intelligence to work it out.

Then again, ravens are moderately wise...

RCgothic
2013-01-16, 06:15 AM
Is Bad Wolf Bay a Doctor Who reference?

Malimar
2013-01-16, 06:44 AM
Is Bad Wolf Bay a Doctor Who reference?

It is indeed.

RCgothic
2013-01-16, 07:09 AM
Are there many other overt references? The other one I have slight suspicions of is Fourside, which sounds like some of the locations from Smash Bros. And Rabbiton is surely a play on Hobbiton as well.:smallsmile:

Malimar
2013-01-16, 10:01 AM
Some. Most are from this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215023).

RCgothic
2013-01-16, 10:18 AM
Ah yes, I thought I recognised Fourside! I should have caught Onett as well, both places from Earthbound featured in Smash Bros. :smallsmile:

Endov Lien is probably a Tron reference, but it's a little opaque. Didn't spot any other pop culture references, but that's not to say there aren't any! I love all of the names! :smallsmile:

Kremti
2013-01-16, 10:41 AM
Character sheet updated.

Will post soon...

-K

Doxkid
2013-01-16, 10:55 AM
It seems I deleted that character at some point.

I'll be done rebuilding him at some point between now and Friday.

Malimar
2013-01-17, 05:48 AM
Party B, which appears to be down to 2 people, is escorting a flock of freedmen to the monastery of Numiel at Perch Hill. And they're about to reach a medium-sized town. D_Man_7733: How do you feel about joining up there?

RCgothic
2013-01-17, 06:02 AM
I'm fine with that, but at least two of the three of group B who haven't posted have expressed an interest in rejoining and have been active on the forums recently. perhaps they just didn't notice the game restart? (subscribed to OOC but not the IC anymore?)

I can send a PM round and see if that gets us anywhere if you'd like? :smallsmile:

Malimar
2013-01-17, 06:41 AM
I'm fine with that, but at least two of the three of group B who haven't posted have expressed an interest in rejoining and have been active on the forums recently. perhaps they just didn't notice the game restart? (subscribed to OOC but not the IC anymore?)

I can send a PM round and see if that gets us anywhere if you'd like? :smallsmile:

A very good point! That'd be splendid.

RCgothic
2013-01-17, 07:09 AM
Tyndmyr hasn't been online since Jan 5th, and his private messages have reached their max. I've sent Noctemwolf and TooManySecrets a PM.

TooManySecrets
2013-01-17, 03:19 PM
Well, well, well. Put me down as a Level 15 Never-Expected-To-See-This-Again-Mancer.

I'm definitely still interested. I just need to re-review my character sheet, see if I want to change anything, and stuff like that.

D_Man_7733
2013-01-18, 05:10 AM
Party B, which appears to be down to 2 people, is escorting a flock of freedmen to the monastery of Numiel at Perch Hill. And they're about to reach a medium-sized town. D_Man_7733: How do you feel about joining up there?

It's fine with me if they are okay with it.

Kremti
2013-01-18, 09:42 AM
I take it that "Item #81" bit is for your reference, and nothing we are supposed to understand, is it?

-K

Malimar
2013-01-18, 10:08 AM
I take it that "Item #81" bit is for your reference, and nothing we are supposed to understand, is it?

-K

Mostly. I was about to explain the system anew, but then I remembered I'd written a blog post about it (http://luduscarcerum.blogspot.com/2012/06/unidentified-items.html). Basically, whenever I give out an item, it'll be numbered. Whenever you use or refer to an item whose properties you have yet to completely determine, mention the number so I know which item you're talking about.

(The exception to the numbers policy is potions, which get descriptions (http://luduscarcerum.blogspot.com/2012/06/identifying-potions.html) instead of numbers.)

Kremti
2013-01-18, 10:48 AM
OK, so what we should do is, whenever we want to use this item, we should say "Hey, we'll use the scroll referred as Item #81" and keep referring that way until it's identified, then.

-K

Malimar
2013-01-18, 11:10 AM
Precisely.

Doxkid
2013-01-18, 02:26 PM
Alright, I'm pretty much done with the generic part of the DN but...does anyone know what my build plan was?

I'm drawing a blank on what I was going to do with him and, considering all the weird builds I've written up, I don't have the faintest idea which I was going to use.

Kremti
2013-01-18, 02:44 PM
Hrm, the recruitment thread is no longer there so we can't tap into that...

-K

Doxkid
2013-01-18, 02:49 PM
Aye. All I have to work with is the B16 posted here; guess I'll just pick a random build and do that.

RCgothic
2013-01-20, 07:06 AM
Much as this revelation could be fatal, Lauren bought those scrolls with the intent to scribe them. A sudden fall could also be very bad for her candle!

Malimar
2013-01-22, 02:42 AM
It's fine with me if they are okay with it.

Hokay, in you go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14571823#post14571823).

RCgothic
2013-01-22, 04:17 AM
Very glad to have survived that pit trap, even if I am now stuck in it. Group A, better hurry up, your mission objective's life is hanging by a thread!

Also another question - Lauren has a wand of cure light wounds - even though that spell isn't on her class list she'd be statistically likely to get at least one useful charge out of it. The problem is the standard action activation. RAW standard actions are strenuous, in which case it wouldn't be worth the risk to attempt a casting.

But she could get up and limp 15ft/round without danger, which seems a lot more strenuous than tying a simple knot or feeling herself for injuries, yet those would be standard actions. Are we playing this as written, or is there a class of standard actions more/less strenuous than a limp? Where would activating a wand fall in that case?

Malimar
2013-01-22, 04:51 AM
It's tough to judge whether something counts as "strenuous" when it's not something that exists on Earth. Spell trigger (like wands) is
No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Presumably the knowledge isn't the strenuous part. If the word is the same spellcasting language as verbal components (even if it's not an inherently strenuous language like Dark Speech or anything), then it would be reasonable to suppose it needs to be uttered in a "strong voice", which could justify the strenuousness of activating a wand.

I think I'll go with this: You can speak the word in a non-strenuous, quiet voice, which doesn't automatically make you pass out. However, you take a -2 circumstance penalty to the UMD check, and if you roll a natural 1, the action is strenuous after all and you lose 1hp and pass out (in addition to the normal "can't UMD the wand again for 24 hours" thing).

RCgothic
2013-01-22, 05:04 AM
Ok, thanks for the clarification, just what I needed to know! :smallsmile:

RCgothic
2013-01-22, 05:25 AM
I was sure that attempting to activate a wand with UMD wasted a charge if you failed, but I can't for the life of me find where it says that in the SRD. Was I imagining that? :smalleek:

Sliver
2013-01-22, 05:34 AM
Yes, yes you were. If you get a nat 1 then you can't use the wand for 24 hours, but there is no actual harm to failing besides that.

Kremti
2013-01-22, 03:57 PM
I was sure that attempting to activate a wand with UMD wasted a charge if you failed, but I can't for the life of me find where it says that in the SRD. Was I imagining that? :smalleek:

SRD says: "each charge expended allows the user to use the wand’s spell one time."

Don't get to use the spell? Don't expend the charge, I think.

-K

RCgothic
2013-01-23, 11:07 AM
Thanks! Was getting confused with scrolls I think! :smallsmile:

I don't often UMD (I'm a heretic, I know!) :smallredface:


Also: Seriously, someone needs to talk to the raven!

Kremti
2013-01-23, 03:15 PM
It's not our fault that Raven speaks Elven and making it much harder for it to speak to us X-D

-K

bobthe6th
2013-01-23, 04:48 PM
I mean really...

Also, don't you know interesting cavern complexes far outway comrades in the grad scheme of things?

Kremti
2013-01-23, 05:13 PM
Well, to me (Or rather, Kataun), it's more of *immediate gratification!*

There are a river and bunch of walruses.

There are a door to be opened.

DOOR!

Not to mention, Hipps made it freaky X-D

-K

bobthe6th
2013-01-23, 05:34 PM
Yeah, glad there was another method of advancement found besides seeing what Hipp would do to those poor animals...

planswalker
2013-01-24, 12:18 AM
heh, I love hipp.
In a very platonic way. I'm no walrus's leftovers.

Doxkid
2013-01-24, 05:04 PM
I have a lot of backstory I need to write out, but Haseo Bune (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=504511) is back for t mostpart

Malimar
2013-01-25, 12:19 PM
For the record, because I don't know how clear (if at all) I've made my die-rolling policies in the past:

If you do something active that you think should involve a die roll, you should always feel free to roll the dice for it. If you don't, but you take an action that I decide calls for a die roll, I'll consult your sheet and roll the dice. If you don't specify that you're taking 10 or 20, I'll generally assume you intend to roll.

If you're called upon to roll something purely automatic (most saving throws, elfdar search checks for secret doors, passive spot/listen checks, etc), I'll consult your sheet and roll the dice.

If you choose to roll for initiative yourself, I'll use your result. Otherwise, I'll just consult your sheets and roll initiative for everybody myself.

The dice thread for this game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14591938) isn't just for me: you guys can use it, too. Or you can roll in the relevant IC thread. I'm flexible. (Just try to resist the urge to roll in this OOC thread.)

Whenever I roll something for a player character, I'll roll it in the dice thread (so you can let me know if I forgot to take into account all your boni). I'll also roll in the dice thread for certain other rolls, especially if they're particularly life-or-death situations, to keep myself honest and fudge-free.

In general, I'll roll physical dice on my desk for anything that would be rolled behind the DM screen if this were a tabletop game. This is most commonly monster attacks, damage, and saves. (For random encounters, I use Excel's built-in =rand() function, which is basically the same deal, just without physical dice.)

Kremti
2013-01-25, 05:09 PM
I figured as much. If you notice, I like to keep it simple by taking 10's and 20's pretty frequently, eliminating the need to even type for the roll function, so if you don't see me doing it, just go ahead and assume Kataun never really has attention span to do those things... :p

-K

RCgothic
2013-01-25, 06:04 PM
I think Lauren just survived a trap that would have killed her in 97% of circumstances... :smalleek:

bobthe6th
2013-01-25, 06:13 PM
See, there is a reason I am enjoying playing a barbarian/dread necromancer hybrid in another game... they are durable as hell.

RCgothic
2013-01-28, 02:55 AM
Just like to apologise for no posts over the weekend - combination everyone in the world wanting to do things with me / accidentally deleting a post in progress on my phone. With any luck a new computer should now be on the horizon at last! The length of time I've had to depend on just a phone for internet has gone beyond a joke!:smalleek:

Kremti
2013-01-28, 10:13 AM
Yeah, another thing I noticed with Kataun. That little bit of durability let me play him impetuously, making it easier to just not over think and do stuff. While not technically as powerful as the "power" options...

-K

Malimar
2013-01-29, 03:20 AM
Weekends also tend to be somewhat busier, and thus less good for posting, for me. I'll try to get another round of posts up sometime earlyish tomorrow.

Kremti
2013-01-29, 09:36 AM
Figured as much. Not very good for me either, and figured it's not good for most of us. I try to get one post in but... :p

-K

Sliver
2013-01-29, 09:40 AM
I can post any day! Although time zone difference makes it a bit more difficult to post while others are active...

But with the slow pace and current situation, I don't have a lot to do with Scarecrow right now...

RCgothic
2013-01-29, 09:44 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to abandon you! :smallredface:

Sliver
2013-01-29, 09:45 AM
Nah, no worries. I'm sure things will pick up for Scarecrow once he gets to murder something...

ForzaFiori
2013-01-29, 05:41 PM
I post... kinda randomly. Sometimes I can get one in before class in the morning, and afternoons/nights depend on school work and what not. Weekends are usually open though, if i'm not out with friends.

RCgothic
2013-01-30, 03:34 AM
It's never easy, is it? Lauren can't even take 10 to hit a DC10 climb check!

So let me see if I have this right - equal or better than the DC means I can climb at 1/4 speed, or 7.5ft per check. Missing the DC means I make no progress; unless I fail by 5 or more, in which case I fall. DC10 to pull myself up.

I need to climb 12ft before I can pull myself up with 8ft vertical reach.

If I critical fail the first climb check I just don't get anywhere. Critical fail the second is a fall from 7.5ft, thus no damage. Critical fail the DC10 is a fall from 12-15ft, which would be damaging, and I don't get to make a jump/tumble check because I didn't jump down deliberately.

Ok, here goes...

RCgothic
2013-01-30, 03:45 AM
By the way, my phone likes to autocomplete Lauren as Laurence. Normally I'd just edit it, but this time the error was in the dice roll thread!

mrcarter11
2013-01-30, 06:51 AM
Huh.. I'm still here actually. Just had a backlog of real life catch up to me, and I've been slowly trying to deal with everything that entails.

Well, still here if my party wants me that is.

ForzaFiori
2013-01-30, 09:01 AM
Yes, your party still wants you. I'm pretty sure it's just you and me still around for Party 3, and I don't wanna have to make it where ever it was we were going by myself.

mrcarter11
2013-01-30, 04:09 PM
I'll post IC then. I think this game should be renamed the ever living...

Madcrafter
2013-01-30, 11:12 PM
And suddenly everyone appears.

ForzaFiori
2013-01-31, 01:39 AM
don't knock it, we have a 4 person party again.

Doxkid
2013-01-31, 02:39 AM
Depends on how long we can play; lets hope for the best, neh?

Malimar
2013-01-31, 04:18 PM
Planswalker: If you recreated Hipp's sheet and posted a link, I neglected to take a note of it.

RCgothic
2013-02-03, 06:20 AM
Sorry for the slight delay in posting in A-2, I'm having a hard time working out what course of action won't kill her.:smalleek:

Malimar
2013-02-08, 04:00 PM
A-II is now a bit ahead of A in time (it's about 18:30 for party A; if Lauren isn't interrupted by horrible monsters, her trance will put her at about 19:30), so the possibility exists that party A could find Lauren before she finishes trancing. So I'm going to hold off on posting to A-II until party A either finds Lauren or they fall ahead again.

RCgothic
2013-02-08, 06:15 PM
Fair enough! I thought I was a bit further ahead than that, but so be it! :smallsmile:

Malimar
2013-02-08, 07:55 PM
Nalf's cart+horse by road thing was substantially faster than the over the rough mountain terrain on foot thing, is where most of the difference came from.

RCgothic
2013-02-09, 04:10 AM
She really did need the rest though, so no regrets!:smallsmile:

Madcrafter
2013-02-11, 06:25 PM
How close are we to the bridge ends, and how close are we going to get to them before we are actually in the river? aka. Would hooking one with a rope be at all feasible?

Malimar
2013-02-11, 06:53 PM
How close are we to the bridge ends, and how close are we going to get to them before we are actually in the river? aka. Would hooking one with a rope be at all feasible?

Let's say... 240 feet and 140 feet away, respectively. So it would be challenging, but there's probably some clever way to manage it.

Madcrafter
2013-02-12, 01:41 AM
Let's say... 240 feet and 140 feet away, respectively. So it would be challenging, but there's probably some clever way to manage it.

I predict an early demise then. Or a very bitey swim perhaps.

RCgothic
2013-02-12, 03:53 AM
It's not that bad! I mean, you could have been a strength 8 wizard with -7hp at the bottom of a 20ft pit-trap with no relevant spells in total darkness in a hostile dungeon!

Kremti
2013-02-12, 12:15 PM
Ohhh, Crusader's Strike hits for the first time *tears*

-K

Kremti
2013-02-13, 03:47 PM
You know, something I just realized...

"Chanosia" (who, technically, is with us at the moment) speaks

*gasp*

Elven? (She's an elf, I think)

-K

bobthe6th
2013-02-13, 04:37 PM
It is kinda sad that the party is now just adventuring... hope the adventure ends before the kidnapped elf dies of starvation.

RCgothic
2013-02-14, 06:24 AM
You know, something I just realized...

"Chanosia" (who, technically, is with us at the moment) speaks

*gasp*

Elven? (She's an elf, I think)

-K

As I have been saying for months! :p

Kremti
2013-02-14, 07:42 AM
Hey, at least we are moving *somewhere* (Granted, not the right direction, but we are moving). Am sure we'll hit the deadend and we'll track back!

Besides, it's not like Kataun or any member forgot what they are doing. They just happen not to know which way to go :smallbiggrin:

-K

RCgothic
2013-02-19, 04:00 AM
I wonder if we could pick up the pace a bit in group B? The end goal is getting to Perch Hill, and I don't think any of us want to do anything else along the way, so I'm not sure we need to take a break at every hamlet we come across. This pilgrimage is maybe starting to drag slightly. :smallredface:

Sliver
2013-02-19, 08:06 AM
I agree. I've got nothing to post for Scarecrow besides "Yeah, let's continue." It would be great if we could speed things up until something actually happens.

Malimar
2013-02-19, 09:16 PM
Sorry. I keep falling into the "only one or two people have posted, I'll give them a bit longer before I reply" trap, except everybody's actually just waiting for me, and the next thing I know it's a week later and nothing has been posted from anybody.

(Not having gotten to Party C, on the other hand, is just laziness.)

bobthe6th
2013-02-19, 11:19 PM
Man... who needs open lock when you can just nuke the door until it dies?

It is weird having a charicter that has 3 skill points per level, and he is the near skill monkey of the party.

Doxkid
2013-02-19, 11:49 PM
Oh sweet Tartarus, Party C will never get anything done. I'm gonna try posting every time I see it update; I might be able to whip us into shape.

ForzaFiori
2013-02-19, 11:54 PM
I'm just not sure what to do right now - we got two people poling, and two trying to keep the raft together. Now we either make it, or it falls apart and we try to swim a piranha infested river. Did I mention that Ekin can't swim? :smalleek:

Doxkid
2013-02-19, 11:57 PM
Should we be making checks right now?

A strength check to pole better, I suppose?
[roll0]
V
My poling kills Ekin outright. The boat becomes a rabbit. There survivors taste of sweetened hamburgers.

bobthe6th
2013-02-20, 12:21 AM
Pff, everyone swims just as long in a Parana filled river.

Kremti
2013-02-20, 09:44 AM
FWIW,

I tend to take a pause in "action" when I have Kataun take 20. Technically that's supposed to take like a few minutes so...

-K

P.S. Another FWIW, Team A should see whenever Kataun finds crap. He's not hiding or anything, at all.

Doxkid
2013-02-24, 05:43 PM
Sorry for the delay.
---
That turning check can control of up to 4 hit die,( turning check result was 3+my level=4 HD of undead) and does take control of 10 hd worth of undead.

I think I got him. My playstyle prefers having only one undead to use beside myself in melee, but I'm open to hoards if you lot are.

Either way, Onward!

mrcarter11
2013-02-24, 05:49 PM
Well if for some reason, you can't take control of it.. I'm gonna go splat the thing. So either way it works.

Malimar
2013-02-27, 04:43 AM
This is a particularly silly board to be going all S****horpe Problem on words like what you do when you ready a crossbow or tilt your head. It just makes it seem lewd to **** your crossbow or **** your head. Like that one youtube video where Count Von Count sings his song and every instance of "count" is unnecessarily bleeped.

EDIT: I don't know why I thought "S****horpe", being the definitive example of a censorship filter false positive, would get through the filter.

Kremti
2013-02-27, 09:47 AM
****!

-k

ForzaFiori
2013-02-27, 11:54 AM
I suppose the problem is that computers are HORRIBLE at figuring out the context of the word. So you can either never bleep it, which would be weird since they do all the other vulgar words, or always bleep it.

Personally though, i think that if it's in the middle of a word, it shouldn't be censored - that should be easy enough to program, much more so than trying to figure out which meaning of the word is being used.

mrcarter11
2013-02-27, 04:03 PM
So where am I on the map and is the creature dead?

RCgothic
2013-02-27, 06:19 PM
Dead, but not inanimate! :smallwink:

Malimar
2013-02-27, 09:34 PM
So where am I on the map and is the creature dead?

Whoops, I accidentally a K instead of a Y. (Because there are two people whose names begin with K, neither of you get K.) Fixed now.


Dead, but not inanimate! :smallwink:

This is true: the creature did die once! But it hasn't yet done so this encounter.

Kremti
2013-02-28, 11:45 AM
If Kataun ever team up with another "K", I want you to color "Kataun K" with bright red on the map.

-K

Malimar
2013-02-28, 12:51 PM
If Kataun ever team up with another "K", I want you to color "Kataun K" with bright red on the map.

-K

That was originally the plan. All PCs would be the same icon, @ or ☺ or something. Characters would be distinguished by each one being in their own color, which would match the text color of that PC's speech.

But that turned out to make the system too complicated and unwieldy, and I dropped the idea. Text color throws off the spacing of the map at every stage other than the finished product.

Madcrafter
2013-03-01, 01:55 AM
So, um yeah... This could get really bad really fast.

Malimar
2013-03-01, 02:51 AM
It occurred to me that it definitely could! Somehow I had not, until this fight began, grokked the fact that that if a wight hits a level one character, that character dies immediately with no save. It is good that the wight has rolled so poorly so far!

In my tabletop games, for easier bookkeeping, I sometimes houserule that you get your fortitude save immediately, instead of 24 hours later. I used to houserule that all negative level effects are replaced by aging a certain amount. But I've come to realize that I don't really understand all the balance concerns wrt negative levels, and either of these changes should affect the CR of any energy draining monsters, so I'm thinking I'll be playing them mostly or entirely by RAW from now on.

(That said, I'm starting to consider a rule where, iff taking a negative level would instantly kill you, you make your save immediately instead of after 24 hours. That should leave the debuff effect of negative levels intact and make the part where you die instantly slightly less rude.)

RCgothic
2013-03-01, 03:08 AM
Can I just take this moment to say how glad I am group B detoured around doublebridge?

And I know it's been more than a week. :smallsigh: I keep starting to write a post and then something comes up. It's sometimes difficult when you can only post from work! Anyway, new home laptop is on the horizon at last, and that should help.:smallsmile:

Doxkid
2013-03-01, 03:43 AM
Fixing that derped attack roll
[roll0]

mrcarter11
2013-03-01, 06:39 AM
Since it's morning and I'm easily confused.. If it moved forward, it would have provoked an AoO since I have reach, no?

RCgothic
2013-03-01, 06:52 AM
It was a 5ft step to the SW. :smallsmile:

mrcarter11
2013-03-01, 07:16 AM
Thinking of Thicket.. That's where my confusion stemmed from.

RadicalTurnip
2013-03-01, 10:26 PM
So...the old OOC thread was way down in my subscribed threads list, and so I finally went to it and just then finally saw the "New" OOC thread...so I haven't seen any of this until just now! Lol, anyway, I just love this too much...



Dave ignores another worrying sign of madness from his party, and goes back to the entierly logical task of blowing up an invisible door.

bobthe6th
2013-03-01, 10:33 PM
I mean, one member of the party is tripping, one is on a bit of a door blowing up rut, one has a phobia of chickens, and one seems to think he is a power ranger. Sanity is not our strong point...

Kremti
2013-03-02, 09:34 AM
But we...keeps marching on!

By the way, The ready action triggers "When one of us is attacked"

-K

bobthe6th
2013-03-03, 02:52 PM
BATS! been to long sense dave summoned some bats.

RCgothic
2013-03-03, 03:12 PM
I guess Eleanor is waiting for Scarecrow to alert her.

Malimar
2013-03-04, 12:31 AM
Thinking of Thicket.. That's where my confusion stemmed from.

You do not appear to have Thicket of Blades. So, no, that 5'-step doesn't provoke.

Kremti
2013-03-04, 09:58 AM
The earliest Thicket can come online (without doing some weird tricks) should be lvl 5 (and that probably requires some items or outside buffs like Heroics to pull it off). So I doubt we'll be seeing it anytime soon...

Unless I'm wrong and there are level 5-6 characters running around :P

-K

RCgothic
2013-03-04, 10:09 AM
You say that, but the invisible person who ran past you could well be Nalf...

Kremti
2013-03-04, 11:48 AM
I meant PC :smallbiggrin:

I'm totally OK invis-Nalf taking AoO as Kataun moves around. I doubt he has Greater Invis, so that'd totally make whoever is invisible visible...

Of course, if that person's got Greater Invis, we are ****ed anyways :smallbiggrin:

-K

RCgothic
2013-03-04, 06:49 PM
Still waiting to be woken! In both A2 and B, lol. :smallsmile:

Sliver
2013-03-05, 01:20 AM
What more can I do? I told the elf to wake you up and now I'm trying to light the night on fire.

RCgothic
2013-03-05, 01:39 AM
I think that's a DM task now because of the intermediary.

Sliver
2013-03-05, 01:40 AM
In the end, we find out that it's actually a swarm of tiny curious frogs that wanted to surprise us with meat and cake in the morning.

MBI
2013-03-21, 05:35 PM
Hey there Malimar! Long time, no see! Was pretty glad to see you were okay, I'll tell you that.
I'm finally feeling back in the mood to play a PbP, except my laptop's broken for the foreseeable future. How often are we expected to post again?

Anyway, Put me down as being interested again. Can't promise I will be able to play, but here's hoping I will.

Malimar
2013-03-21, 05:51 PM
Allegedly, once every 24 hours. In my head, I've been amending that to more like 48 hours. And then sometimes I accidentally go weeks between posting. At this point, I think the only people I haven't completely driven away with my dissolute ways are people who are chill enough to be okay with whatever schedule. Which is to say, you're welcome back no matter what; if you can manage a consistent couple posts a week you'll probably be better than I am.

Kremti
2013-03-22, 07:51 AM
Oh ****. That was not optimum for Mr Red.

-K

bobthe6th
2013-03-22, 08:15 AM
Hope that was a crit, or we're all going to die.

RadicalTurnip
2013-03-22, 08:51 AM
Wow, I'm actually *glad* Placid got paralyzed recently and learned to not be hitting stuff with his fists...

And yeah, this is some scary stuff for a *level 1* to be fighting. *gulp*

Kremti
2013-03-22, 09:44 AM
OK, I was wrong about turn count. This is third turn and Kataun has all of his maneuvers available. Not that it matters.

Note: Kataun is Medium Encumberance, which works like Medium Armor? I'm reading that this does *not* affect his to-hit roll...just ability checks including skill checks?

-K

ForzaFiori
2013-03-22, 10:52 AM
Hope that was a crit, or we're all going to die.

I love fights like that. :smallyuk:

Malimar
2013-03-22, 01:02 PM
Hope that was a crit, or we're all going to die.

It rolled almost max for damage.


Note: Kataun is Medium Encumberance, which works like Medium Armor? I'm reading that this does *not* affect his to-hit roll...just ability checks including skill checks?

Correct, I think.

Kremti
2013-03-22, 01:35 PM
Correct, I think.

Of course, it probably doesn't matter anyways, but still a little bit useful not taking extra -3 to hit... :smallsigh:

-K

RCgothic
2013-03-22, 01:51 PM
Lauren would appreciate it if you found her before you all die! :p

The encounters in this campaign certainly don't go easy on you! The pilgrims are currently facing what looks like an army of swamp kobolds or something as well, and group C is taking on a wight!

Kremti
2013-03-22, 09:30 PM
I think I'd rather face a wight than this one group A is facing. :smallfrown:

-K

mrcarter11
2013-03-24, 10:45 PM
Forgot the extra fire damage

[roll0]

Madcrafter
2013-03-25, 07:35 PM
Malimar go ahead and post, since I'm after in the initiative order and it might die anyways. Or at least, I hope it will.

Doxkid
2013-04-04, 04:41 PM
Hey. LIVE.

Malimar
2013-04-07, 09:40 AM
Hey. LIVE.

Okay. That would have been more amusing if I'd managed to post an update within a day of your post. Oh well.

mrcarter11
2013-04-08, 12:33 AM
SUcess for the man with chain of flames!!!

Kremti
2013-04-08, 07:04 PM
*crossing fingers....*

-K

RCgothic
2013-04-10, 03:40 AM
So that's one frog-creature probably gutted, two probably crispy-fried, and the others are looking uncertain. Sounds like a decent circumstance bonus to intimidate to me!

RadicalTurnip
2013-05-05, 09:00 PM
Sorry my monk is being stupid in combat...it's almost like he has a life of his own, but he seriously has some issues to work out, especially related to chickens and old hag-like women.

Kremti
2013-05-06, 11:00 AM
If he has something he can do to invisible, touch-attack-strength-draining attack mob...I'd be super surprised :smalltongue: So...that seems to be as good as any action!

-K

bobthe6th
2013-05-06, 04:08 PM
hoping that bleeding wounds might help with that...

Kremti
2013-05-08, 12:57 PM
Mr. Pink, you are our only hope :smalltongue:

-K

Malimar
2013-05-16, 06:45 PM
Fun fact:
A creature can squeeze past an opponent while moving but it can’t end its movement in an occupied square. and
You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with total concealment, even if you know what square or squares the opponent occupies. I'm learning all sorts of new things I didn't know about invisibility before!

bobthe6th
2013-05-17, 07:06 AM
man... can't wait to pick up the unkindness PRC at this point.

Swarms are way to fun.

Kremti
2013-05-17, 09:29 AM
Mr. Pink, you are our only hope :smalltongue:

-K

Ditto. That's what I was thinking.

-K

Malimar
2013-05-17, 12:39 PM
Mr. Pink, you are our only hope :smalltongue:

-KDitto. That's what I was thinking.

-KThere's something strange about this, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

RCgothic
2013-05-17, 02:31 PM
May I play Leonora for the time being? :smallredface:

Malimar
2013-05-17, 03:01 PM
May I play Leonora for the time being? :smallredface:

Certainly!

Kremti
2013-05-19, 08:22 PM
How does leveling up while we are in adventure work?

(Not that it helps with Kataun's condition at the moment...)

What happens with things like new feats and such?

Kataun will start hit-trip-hit again thing...

-K

Malimar
2013-05-20, 12:22 AM
How does leveling up while we are in adventure work?

(Not that it helps with Kataun's condition at the moment...)

What happens with things like new feats and such?

Kataun will start hit-trip-hit again thing...

-K

You level up as soon as you've rested for 8 hours! (Which is, yes, pretty arbitrary, and I'm not certain why I do it that way, but c'est le fromage.)

Malimar
2013-05-21, 11:15 PM
It amuses me that, in party A right now, the bird would actually be the best one to be identifying scrolls.

RCgothic
2013-05-22, 01:54 AM
Actually not! Though Leonora has Lauren's 5 skill ranks, she uses her own intelligence modifier, which is -2 instead of +5.

Leonora only had a +3 overall mod for knowledge arcana.

Malimar
2013-05-22, 02:11 AM
But scrolls are identified/deciphered using Spellcraft. Leonora's Spellcraft totals +2, which is the highest in the party right now, even with her INT penalty.

Though it occurs to me just now, as I'm actually analyzing it for perhaps the first time, that identifying a scroll and deciphering a scroll are, by RAW, probably not actually the same thing. i.e., You can know what spell is on a scroll, but you still need to decipher it before you can cast it. But, aside from the identify spell and its ilk, no mechanisms appear to be given for identifying scrolls without deciphering them. Doesn't really even say if your standard-issue scroll-you-find-in-the-dungeon is traditionally labeled in any way.

I think I've always generally treated deciphering and identifying a scroll as basically the same thing. I am now rethinking this habit.

Y'all may well be entirely right that Knowledge(Arcana/Religion) is what you'd use to identify another mage's scroll by its label, if the label is some obscure glyph. But some mages may be in the habit of labeling their scrolls in code (in which case, Decipher Script), and some label them in plain language (in which case, just know the language, or Decipher Script), and some don't label them at all.

In which case, that means I might have to add a subsystem to my Excel document for randomizing if/how a given scroll is labeled. Not gonna lie, this prospect fills me with a little bit of glee.

RCgothic
2013-05-22, 03:11 AM
Oops, my mistake!

I get Leonora's Spellcraft as +3 (Lauren's +5 ranks -2 INT Modifier).

I think concocting such a system might fill me with glee as well! :smallbiggrin:

RCgothic
2013-05-22, 03:28 AM
Unfortunately I don't think Leonora could cast it. First she would need to emulate the ability score, which is UMD -15.

Her UMD modifier is 0, giving her a max emulated ability score of 5 (which is actually less than her original 6!).

Unless she can cast keyed off wisdom...

But spells aren't linked to an ability, it's the class which determines whether you need INT, WIS or CHA. Use a Scroll refers to the appropriate ability. Which one is the appropriate ability?

Confused now! :smallconfused:

Malimar
2013-05-22, 04:11 AM
To cast a spell from a scroll, you need a high score in the appropriate ability (Intelligence for wizard spells, Wisdom for divine spells, or Charisma for sorcerer or bard spells).

Yeah, as an arcane scroll, it definitely wouldn't be wisdom. Because it's a sor/wiz spell, I think you could choose to cast it as a sorcerer or as a wizard, which is to say, could try to emulate either CHA or INT.

So Leonora would have to emulate one of those, and then a separate roll to actually use the scroll. Meaning she'd have to roll, on the die, a 27 and a 22. On a d20.

So I guess by "Theoretically she might even be capable of actually casting it", I meant "she's capable of rolling the dice to attempt to cast it", because she's at least got ranks in the relevant trained-only skill. Not capable of succeeding, but capable of trying.

RCgothic
2013-05-22, 05:27 AM
But the spell only lists the core classes that can cast it.

I can't think of any arcane classes that key off wisdom, but the archivist can cast divine spells from INT. Would it not be fair to say that eg Consecrate is Arc2 in addition to Clr 2?

Kremti
2013-05-22, 07:18 AM
Yeah, it goes into somewhat of the grey area. I think the thing that "make sense" is "it keys off of the stats of the casting stat of *whoever created it*". Although the system become even more complicated.

So, if Malimar suddenly decides that "This Consecrate scroll was created by Archivist X". Then he could probably say the Divine Scroll of Consecrate keys off of Int, and even Clerics of appropriate level still needs high enough Int to actually cast it. I imagine this will throw a monkey wrench in a fair number of scrolls that keys off of Cha and Wizards with low Cha suddenly starts having problem using Arcane Scrolls :smallbiggrin:

My guess is it got simplified in many rule books (especially in Core). But they are never explicitly stated...

Yet another layer of subsystem in Excel Spreadsheet..."The creator of the scrolls".

-K

Malimar
2013-05-22, 04:26 PM
I was going to say that, because Favored Souls exist, I might let the user choose whether to need WIS or CHA for divine scrolls. But then I remembered that archivists exist, and I didn't want to make divine scrolls be just whichever stat you want. (Would be even worse in Pathfinder, where things like Scarred Witch Doctor exist, and you could start adding things like CON to the mix.)

The idea of semi-randomly determining what class created a given scroll appeals to my compulsive tendencies, but I think it might get too complicated, and make scrolls too hard to actually use. (Not that casters need any love or anything.)

I think, for simplicity, I'm going to let casters use their own primary casting stat to cast a scroll if the scroll matches their arcane/divine status and is on their list. If a scroll appears only on one list (e.g., bard-only spells), it uses that class's casting stat. Otherwise, all divine scrolls are WIS, and you can choose whether to need INT or CHA for arcane scrolls.

RCgothic
2013-05-22, 04:32 PM
I like that ruling. (even if Leonora doesn't!)

:smallsmile:

RadicalTurnip
2013-05-23, 09:34 PM
don't forget the +2 ranks to spellcraft for decipher script, and the other +2 for knowledge arcana

RCgothic
2013-05-24, 12:52 AM
Good catch! 5 Ranks of knowledge arcana gives Lauren (and therefore Leonora) an additional +2. Not enough ranks for decipher script yet though!

Madcrafter
2013-05-26, 01:22 PM
I think we were just going to continue all the way to the docks. No need to check out the north bridge.

RCgothic
2013-07-02, 04:44 PM
Gentle prod? :smallsmile:

Malimar
2013-07-02, 10:54 PM
Sorry, had another more-than-a-month of whatever it is that happens when I'm not posting. Hopefully I can keep up the posting for awhile this time!

RCgothic
2013-07-03, 12:47 AM
'Tis fine. I know real life intervenes sometimes. :smallsmile:

Kremti
2013-07-03, 07:23 AM
We shall never die!

-K

Doxkid
2013-07-03, 07:31 AM
Not until I have all of your addresses, that is.
I cant believe this game is still running. Doing a lot of posting today, so I'll try to work something out in my group.

Kremti
2013-07-03, 01:19 PM
As I said...we won't die!

I bet plans around somewhere too :smallbiggrin:

-K

bobthe6th
2013-07-03, 09:23 PM
Wow... year three, level three. Odd... and down to 4 HP, this does not bode well for Dave. We need a healbot, or at least someone with ability damage restoration. Though Dave is shooting one level more of warlock for +1d6 blast damage and some DR.

Malimar
2013-07-03, 10:22 PM
If y'all get out alive, you can just nap for a week.

If. :smallbiggrin:

RCgothic
2013-07-04, 01:14 AM
Yeah, running into Nalf right now wouldn't be great! :smalleek:

EDIT: Lauren's actually not far off level 3 now either! 495xp to go and she'll get a couple of neat lvl2 spells!

Actually, she's still to gain her new spells for lvl2 because she levelled up in a cave last time and hasn't had time to commit her inspirations to paper yet. She knows 8 first lvl spells (the three starting ones and the 5 additional starting spells for her INT score), so the next time she has a chance to study she'll get two more first lvl spells and then 2 more of up to 2nd lvl when (if!) she hits third level.

Kremti
2013-07-04, 05:59 AM
Wow... year three, level three. Odd... and down to 4 HP, this does not bode well for Dave. We need a healbot, or at least someone with ability damage restoration. Though Dave is shooting one level more of warlock for +1d6 blast damage and some DR.

Could have been healing ya, but Dave hasn't been close enough to Kataun when he was hitting.

Now that Kataun can't hit :P

-K

Sliver
2013-07-04, 06:48 AM
Anyone wishing to weight into the decision of breakfast or no breakfast for team B? Because left in Scarecrow's hands, nobody needs to eat until we reach our final destination.

bobthe6th
2013-07-04, 09:44 AM
Dammit, now that I have seen resivour dogs, I can't help picturing Dave as Mr. Pink.

RCgothic
2013-07-04, 03:27 PM
Anyone wishing to weight into the decision of breakfast or no breakfast for team B? Because left in Scarecrow's hands, nobody needs to eat until we reach our final destination.

Do we actually have any rations to give anyone, or do we have to make for Suzanne's town?

Madcrafter
2013-07-05, 01:03 AM
And as he watches from the bushes, the wight drains the energy from his immobile companions, leaving him alone... :smalleek:
Silently as he can, he turns... and runs.

Kremti
2013-07-05, 10:12 AM
Dammit, now that I have seen resivour dogs, I can't help picturing Dave as Mr. Pink.

I am/was hoping for a plot twist: Ms Blonde is found, and Nalf is missing his ears...

-K

Malimar
2013-07-05, 09:20 PM
Doxkid: Isn't Summon Undead a 1-round spell? Do you have something I'm not seeing to mitigate that, or did it just slip your mind (which always used to happen to me, before I learned to always double-check the casting time of any spell that summons a creature)?

Doxkid
2013-07-05, 09:29 PM
Grah...yes it is. Should I modify my post, or would just waiting for it to come into effect later work?

Malimar
2013-07-05, 09:33 PM
Either way works for me.

Doxkid
2013-07-05, 09:37 PM
Hmm...I'll consider it a bit. How many people are left in Party C?

ForzaFiori
2013-07-05, 09:54 PM
I think at least three - three of us have posted combat actions.

Kremti
2013-07-10, 06:51 AM
That worked? Well ****.

-K

RCgothic
2013-07-10, 06:55 AM
Yay! :smallsmile:

Kremti
2013-07-10, 08:38 AM
Kind of like playing Nethack. Mashing "s" key repeatedly every deadends.

In fact, that was actually #3 for Kataun. He found 2 scrolls that way.

-K

bobthe6th
2013-07-10, 10:20 AM
Reminds me of rogue... you really have to just guess were the secret passage or room is, then spam s until you got lucky.

Malimar
2013-07-10, 10:44 AM
Or Angband, where really you should have shift-S active whenever you go anywhere, but you always forget, and then you come to a dead-end and mash s and hey presto, a door!

Not like Dwarf Fortress's adventure mode, where there are no secret doors yet and searching only ever turns up, like, rats and roaches and things.

Kremti
2013-07-10, 01:25 PM
Reminds me of rogue... you really have to just guess were the secret passage or room is, then spam s until you got lucky.
Well, Nethack/Angband/Partly Dwarf Fortress are all coined "rogue-likes" for a reason... :smalltongue:

-K

Malimar
2013-07-11, 01:34 AM
I think this may be the most use a familiar has gotten in any game I've ever participated in or witnessed. Including OotS itself.

Sliver
2013-07-11, 01:42 AM
Team B's pace saddens me.

RCgothic
2013-07-11, 03:16 AM
Sorry! I thought I had replied already. :smallredface:

RCgothic
2013-07-11, 03:31 AM
I think this may be the most use a familiar has gotten in any game I've ever participated in or witnessed. Including OotS itself.

I'll do my best not to forget about her if Lauren rejoins the party! :smallsmile:

bobthe6th
2013-07-11, 08:12 AM
Admittedly one time I had a familiar kill another player... arguably in self defense. Two wizards in the same party? Not a great plan.

Kremti
2013-07-11, 09:58 AM
My wizards tended to use the familiars. They are super-useful in many situations, not the least of which is sharing Polymorph with :smallbiggrin:

-K

Malimar
2013-07-11, 02:23 PM
Incidentally, in case it wasn't completely clear, my habit is that unlabeled spoilers (which are usually the map) are free to be read by everybody, but spoilers labeled with a character's name ought to be read only by that character.

Kremti
2013-07-11, 03:05 PM
So the one labeled "Leonora" shouldn't be read by Lauren!

-K

RCgothic
2013-07-11, 03:05 PM
Slightly ninja'd by Dave. Did Lauren manage to get the spell in before Dave's tanglefoot bag? I wonder how those two interact.

What's the knowledge check for this creature?

Also, have we lost Placid? :smalleek:

Edit: Lauren got the exact same info in her own thread, so all is good. I think I have a pretty good track record of keeping IC and OOC knowledge apart, if I do say so myself! :smallsmile:

bobthe6th
2013-07-11, 06:28 PM
Well Dave just drew his. Though they interact helariously... though mixing them is not the ideal solution(use one, beat on it while it is stuck, then throw the bag at it... and it gets stuck again and we can keep wailing on it.)

Also cool, back to 3 active members... or rather 3 active humanoid members.

Now to blow the joint, and return with a full health, spells, and a new level... then to clear up this river issue.

bobthe6th
2013-07-12, 01:02 AM
...and a crit fail.

RCgothic
2013-07-12, 01:18 AM
It's only a critical fail if you intend to let stand that you rolled a d0 rather than a d20...

RCgothic
2013-07-12, 03:15 AM
I don't think the tanglefoot bag will help anyway. I think we need to run:

Lauren can't take another hit like that and has no more powers that can work on undead. She has to retreat from the pit edge or die. If she retreats from the pit edge, the monster can cross and then she dies.

Kataun's melee effectiveness is much reduced right now. Dave's 'oh crap' makes me worried. I'm guessing we don't have a hope of beating this thing in conventional combat.

So we need to run. But Lauren can't pass a creature with 10ft reach in that corridor without taking an AoO. If she takes an AoO she dies. Just getting over the pit will be risky enough!

The tanglefoot bag will only lead us to an impasse - Lauren will be trapped on that side of the pit until the monster is free to move again.

Bull Rush. It's a goblin-thing, right? That means it's small. Unless it's super strong it can't overcome that we're all medium creatures. Even Lauren might have a chance at bull rushing it if she could take the AoO, or have someone else take the AoO for her.

But Kataun's Charging Minotaur doesn't even provoke AoO! That pit is 20ft deep. Lauren can cast Expeditious Retreat to jump the pit and then we run.

Thoughts?

RCgothic
2013-07-12, 04:34 AM
Point of interest the third...

So the monster fell over, stood up from prone (move action), moved to the pit (move action), and attacked Lauren (standard action)?

Isn't that one too many actions? It can't five foot step because you can't make a 5-foot step in the same round as a move action (standing up).

bobthe6th
2013-07-12, 09:51 AM
Once it is unable to reach us, Dave can spray it down with eldrich energy. Not much can take 1d6+1 untyped energy damage forever. Also, he could keep firing at it when it tries to climb the pit....

Also, yeah, the lesser bonedrinker is goblin based, greater is hobgoblin based. I guess the con damage is on a successful grapple check? But yeah, Mr. Red, smash that man like a minotaur.

Only time I remember fighting them, we had a radiant servant of palor along for the ride... holy **** was that fight over fast(greater turn undead anyone?). I looked at them while thinking about a proper necromantic army. Don't remember much past "goblin/hobgoblin with some con drain and tentacles."

RCgothic
2013-07-12, 10:31 AM
So are you still throwing the tanglefoot bag? If you are, you may wish to roll a d20 rather than a d0.

Where is Kataun in the initiative order? Did he delay until the top of the next round by talking? If so, we can wait to see how a bull rush turns out and still get our actions in before the goblin thing. If not and the monster gets to go first, then I think Lauren's in trouble...:smalleek:

Malimar
2013-07-12, 01:51 PM
So are you still throwing the tanglefoot bag? If you are, you may wish to roll a d20 rather than a d0.

Where is Kataun in the initiative order? Did he delay until the top of the next round by talking? If so, we can wait to see how a bull rush turns out and still get our actions in before the goblin thing. If not and the monster gets to go first, then I think Lauren's in trouble...:smalleek:

I treated Kataun's action as a Diplomacy attempt, so he didn't move in the initiative.


Point of interest the third...

So the monster fell over, stood up from prone (move action), moved to the pit (move action), and attacked Lauren (standard action)?

Isn't that one too many actions? It can't five foot step because you can't make a 5-foot step in the same round as a move action (standing up).

Double-check the relevant SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm). You can't make a 5'-step in the same round as you move any distance. You can take a 5'-step and a move action in the same round, so long as the move action does not involve moving any distance. (I don't think "up from prone" is a "distance".)

RCgothic
2013-07-12, 02:53 PM
Ok, fair enough. So basically the monster gets to go again before Kataun, and by that stage it may be glued to the floor anyway...

RadicalTurnip
2013-07-12, 08:44 PM
Ugh sorry guys, changed jobs means I changed schedules and I Just haven't had the time to keep up. If you haven't already, you should probably write me out. It was a fun game while it lasted, though! Thanks for everything, everyone.

RCgothic
2013-07-13, 05:03 AM
Sorry to hear that! :smallfrown:

Although characters seem to get Put On A Bus (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PutOnABus) rather than Killed Off For Real (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KilledOffForReal) here. Sometimes The Bus Comes Back (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBusCameBack), or you end up Commuting On A Bus. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CommutingOnABus)

In any case I expect Placid will still be wandering around Gus somewhere if your circumstances ever change. :smallsmile:

Sliver
2013-07-13, 05:12 AM
No. No matter what, I will not click on those links. I know where that road leads to, and I'm not going to take it. No... I said no. *closes firefox*

RCgothic
2013-07-13, 05:17 AM
:smalltongue:

Malimar
2013-07-13, 08:21 AM
Sorry to hear that! :smallfrown:

Although characters seem to get Put On A Bus (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PutOnABus) rather than Killed Off For Real (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KilledOffForReal) here. Sometimes The Bus Comes Back (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBusCameBack), or you end up Commuting On A Bus. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CommutingOnABus)

In any case I expect Placid will still be wandering around Gus somewhere if your circumstances ever change. :smallsmile:


No. No matter what, I will not click on those links. I know where that road leads to, and I'm not going to take it. No... I said no. *closes firefox*

What Sliver said.

But yes, what RCgothic said is also completely accurate. (Perhaps Placid wanted to keep an eye on Hipp, and so wandered off after him.) You're welcome back any time.

Kremti
2013-07-14, 09:42 AM
What Sliver said.


No. No matter what, I will not click on those links. I know where that road leads to, and I'm not going to take it. No... I said no. *closes firefox*

http://xkcd.com/609/

There is always a relevant xkcd.

Imma gonna try to post Kataun actions now...Lesse if the Charging Minataur is even available at all. Plus, remember, it's strength check. So... :smallannoyed:

-K

RCgothic
2013-07-14, 11:08 AM
It may be a strength check, but you get a +4 for being bigger than it, and possibly a +2 for charging. I'm sorry I couldn't dismiss the grease, it takes a standard action and I had to take defensive measures!

Next turn it will be gone.

Dave STILL needs to roll a d20 to see if his tanglefoot bag hits. D0 isn't a thing!

Kremti
2013-07-14, 12:34 PM
It may be a strength check, but you get a +4 for being bigger than it, and possibly a +2 for charging. I'm sorry I couldn't dismiss the grease, it takes a standard action and I had to take defensive measures!

Next turn it will be gone.

Dave STILL needs to roll a d20 to see if his tanglefoot bag hits. D0 isn't a thing!
NP. Just the way timing works.

Of note: The maneuver requires charging. Meaning it requires Kataun to be more than 10' away from the monster to be able to even initiate, and keeping him tripped instead (which is also as good because of +4 for being bigger, plus because of tying to hit the monster...I can keep nipping on healing, plus AoO) looked like better option then. Now that Kataun is too close to the monster, he can't use the maneuver to Bull Rush most likely (Regular Bull Rush might happen but that draws AoO...)

-K

RCgothic
2013-07-15, 05:10 AM
We're in trouble. The only way Lauren's getting past that monster is if it dies or we can force it back into that pit, and I don't think 'dies' seems very likely now.

Dave has a decent chance of forcing the monster back if he can evade the AoO charging it would cause. Kataun has probably 50% odds of forcing it back if he can dodge the AoO, or better than that if he can get Charging Minotaur to land.

But the beast is now far enough away from the pit that it will probably work out what we're trying before we push it far enough. We need to lure it back somehow.

Edit: Oh, and Lauren heals 2 thanks to Kataun's successful hit! (she is within 30ft... barely...

RCgothic
2013-07-15, 09:00 AM
Ok, ideas:

Lauren can't get past this round because of the Caltrops, which were necessary to prevent the creature following her. Next round the Caltrops vanish, so she can attempt an escape.

Next Round: If she casts Expeditious Retreat and Kataun provokes an AoO, she can bypass the monster in relative safety. As Lauren and the creature go before Kataun, that means Kataun has to provoke an AoO THIS ROUND.

If Kataun can't provoke an AoO in his next round, then Lauren will still cast Expeditious Retreat, but she won't make a move immediately. Kataun will have another opportunity to provoke an AoO. He can also use 'Aid Another' to target an AC of 10 to give Lauren +2AC. If Lauren also used Total Defense as a standard action, she'd have an AC of 19 and a reasonable hope of fending off the monster as she runs past. If you can trip it again, that would be awesome!

Dave's swarms won't target it, as it isn't living or warm blooded. Eldritch Blast I think. :smallsmile:

Kataun and Dave: Stay Alive!

DM: Could we normalise the initiative order so that the monsters go first/last? it would make it less confusing to be talking about upcoming rounds. :smallsmile:

RCgothic
2013-07-15, 01:00 PM
Sorry for the triple post...

I would judge that Kataun is 10ft away from the monster. This is "at least 10ft" away, an therefore the -4 firing into melee penalty irrelevant.:smallsmile:

bobthe6th
2013-07-15, 02:40 PM
Precise shot invalidates the penalty in any event.

RCgothic
2013-07-15, 02:43 PM
I just figure that with Kataun's glaive this could come up a lot, for Lauren as well.

Malimar
2013-07-15, 11:01 PM
DM: Could we normalise the initiative order so that the monsters go first/last? it would make it less confusing to be talking about upcoming rounds. :smallsmile:

I wouldn't normally; where you are in the initiative is more a PC thing than a DM thing (aside from if you don't post in a round, in which case you auto-delay to top of the order), but the monster invalidated what Kataun was going to do, and delaying from bottom to top is only tactically advantageous for the PCs, so I figured I'd give a chance for Kremti to tell me what his PC would do with this new information, rather than try to decide it myself. PC agency is important to me!

Kremti
2013-07-16, 12:00 AM
If the monster is staying prone (and given that Kataun took damage), Kataun would probably try to 5' step in between it and Dave, and try to use armor spike to Crusader's Strike to heal himself some, and heal Dave some (Using the Crusader's Strike to heal Dave, and Using Martial Spirit to Heal Himself).

Note there's Furious Strike +1/+1 in effect.

-K

RCgothic
2013-07-16, 01:08 AM
You'll need to post that in the thread now I think.

I also think you need to move at least 10ft north to avoid it's full attack. Taking an AoO and a regular attack is better than taking a full attack. You might also provoke it to take an AoO, in which case Lauren can get by.

Also, I'm about to set up a flanking bonus with the badger.

bobthe6th
2013-07-16, 09:34 AM
hope a 24 might hit the bastard... but whateves.

also, for it to reach dave now it would have to move... provoking from Mr.red and his armor spikes.

Kremti
2013-07-16, 09:50 AM
OK, am gonna do a new post then. I was thinking he might want to keep the original rolls from the original actions, since having the knowledge of the rolls and whether I'm getting new rolls if K does something else makes a big difference in meta-gaming sense.

Just so you know...

If you notice, I tend not to lay out the tactical communication in OOC, or even IC if it is not explicitly said out loud. You don't get to see what K/I am "thinking" at all. Just what he shows and tells in IC. I find it a bit meta-gamy otherwise, and also defeats the purpose of having, say, a telepathic character who can become link between the characters. You are going to have to have Lauren explicitly IC-yell out what she is trying to say if you want Kataun to do something specific.

Having said that...

We are far away from "Clearly losing this". The monster is prone, and didn't care to stand up. This means -4 AC against Kataun's melee, and -4 to hit. Kataun, I have mentioned to Dave explicitly, is *healthy* while implicitly and explicitly shown *weakened*. He can drag this out much, much longer if it stays this way. Hell, at this point, I would rather him to prone-full-attack Kataun than standing up and going after others. My assessment at this point is that "We are tied/have slight advantage."

-K

RCgothic
2013-07-16, 12:18 PM
Sorry... I guess it is a bit meta. I'll try and refrain. :smallredface:

But Lauren doesn't share your analysis! Then again, perhaps being out of spells is making her pessimistic.

Kremti
2013-07-16, 03:24 PM
Oh, I don't mind really if you continue unless Malimar says no.

Am just warning ya not to be surprised if K's actions blatantly ignores what's being said here. Aside from our "Post first, ask questions later" attitude, I think you'll get frustrated a lot by us (or at least me/Kataun) if you want more choreographed, coordinated actions.

-K

Malimar
2013-07-16, 06:33 PM
I like your take on it, Kremti.

I don't, however, tend to object to the other way, as long as the metagaming is kept minimally blatant. There's a certain extent to which some of our characters are more experienced in combat than we are, and in many cases are also just plumb smarter than we are. That's the main reason I tend to let OOC tactical planning and coördination slide, unless the resulting plan isn't the kind of thing that would ever occur to more than one participant in the battle simultaneously.

RCgothic
2013-07-17, 12:47 AM
That's why I tend to like discussion, but I'm happy to go along with how the rest of the group is comfortable with. I'll try and keep to comments rather than tactics.

By the way, didn't trying to stand up also provoke the badger?
Attack [+4 claw, +2 flanking]: [roll0] (minimum of 1)
Damage: [roll1]

Kremti
2013-07-17, 09:54 AM
If you didn't give 2 points of heal from the AoO hitting (Martial Spirit Stance), it should be Dave since he was on top of the priority list (which he would have gotten if Crusader Strike had hit...)

-K

Kremti
2013-07-17, 10:19 AM
Oops, no furious counterstrike +1 damage bonus...it is not included in the rolls anyways, but I'm pointing it out.

-K

Malimar
2013-07-17, 11:28 AM
By the way, didn't trying to stand up also provoke the badger?
Attack [+4 claw, +2 flanking]: [roll0] (minimum of 1)
Damage: [roll1]


If you didn't give 2 points of heal from the AoO hitting (Martial Spirit Stance), it should be Dave since he was on top of the priority list (which he would have gotten if Crusader Strike had hit...)

Whoops! Correct and correct, I'll fix it.

RCgothic
2013-07-18, 01:01 AM
Yay, Eleanor levels up! :smallsmile:

As this seems to be the end of this particular mission for group B, should we open recruitment/nudge the inactives in order to bring the group back to four members?

Actually, that will probably soon be the case for Group A as well.

Malimar
2013-07-18, 07:41 AM
As this seems to be the end of this particular mission for group B, should we open recruitment/nudge the inactives in order to bring the group back to four members?

Actually, that will probably soon be the case for Group A as well.

I was thinking of messaging monkeyboyinc to that end, yes. Also, a friend of mine might be interested in joining. If anybody knows anybody who's interested in joining a game like this one, do feel free to invite them to this thread.

I'm hesitant to reopen an official recruitment thread, because then the waiting for group list grows very many names long, and I get tempted to add another group, which is just a recipe for disaster. Three groups seems right on the border of doable for me.