PDA

View Full Version : SLAs and Items on a pit fiend

motoko's ghost
2013-01-13, 04:56 AM
I was kitting out Zaebos of the Dark 8 for a game(gave him artifacer infusions&stuff), and because Mammon's Gleaming Guard have the best stuff and a lot of magic items:smalltongue:(it says so in FC2 and everything) I was giving a bunch of magic items, only I'm having difficulty with the rings, because I'm not sure if they would work the way I want them too. So would a pit fiend;

Be able to use it's greater dispel magic SLA to power one (or both) of the powers on a ring of greater counterspells(MIC)?
Be able to use a ring of mighty summons(CM) for it's summon baatezu ability?

Vaz
2013-01-13, 06:05 AM
It says counters whatever spell is cast into it; and it clearly states in the SRD that SLA's are not Spells.

Instead try just using a Scroll of Reaving Dispel or Slashing Dispel to empower the ring.

Slashing Dispel; enemy caster? Say its got around 25 Caster Levels; so that is 50 Damage right there.

Reaving Dispel; Enemy is buffed to high heaven; wait no; lets redirect them all to affect me!!!

If SLA's can be used in the Ring though, try using Wish inside it. It gives you 1/day Wish.

For the Summoning I don't know.

Deophaun
2013-01-13, 06:20 AM
It says counters whatever spell is cast into it; and it clearly states in the SRD that SLA's are not Spells.

A spell-like ability takes the same amount of time to complete as the spell that it mimics (usually 1 standard action) unless otherwise stated. Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled. In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell
So, except for the exceptions listed, if you can do something with a spell, you can do it with an SLA.

The real question is, how does the counterspell exception of SLAs interact with the counterspelling function of the ring? Since the ring is doing the counterspelling, and the stored SLA is not actually cast as a counterspell, I think it works. YMMV.

motoko's ghost
2013-01-13, 10:17 AM
Dang, forgot about that rule. So because the rule only applies to counterspelling, It can use the summoning ring, but it probably cant use the ring unless I modify it (that actually gives me an interesting idea for a magic items, they don't usually support SLAs hmmmm:smallwink:)

Thanks for the help.:smallbiggrin: