PDA

View Full Version : The Iron Tarkus Challenge: IC.

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-13, 03:43 PM
This band of merry misfits had gotten themselves hired by a certain nobleman... he was having a problem with an information broker by the name of Mr. Baddweller who had obtained some rather... sensitive information about him and his family and was holding it over his head. As he couldn't deal with that, he hired some adventurers to sort the problem out and he wants Mr. Baddweller "taken care of", which was deliberately left open ended.

He also told the group where they could find this guy... in the back of a certain alley, if you manipulated one of the barrels like so and then moved another it would slide away to reveal a secret passage...

And sure enough, that part of the story at least was true, as the barrel slid away revealing a 10 foot wide stone stairway spiraling down into the darkness.

OOC: You can retroactively ask your employer any questions you'd like provided you have not stepped into this fellow's base of operations just yet. You can also leave to purchase things and while this will take time it should not take nearly long enough to force a time loss.

When you have come to a consensus to proceed below I will need to know how you are proceeding, your marching order, and what everyone is holding in their hands as well as anything else you'd like to do as a preliminary move.

Total time elapsed: 00:15:00.

Remember that you lose if this takes over 16 hours. That wouldn't happen unless you went well out of your way to be slow but it is a factor.

A_S
2013-01-13, 04:06 PM
OOC: Is the stairway also 10 feet high at ceiling?

-----

(retroactive, to employer)

"Are there any details you can give us about the layout or defenses of the information broker's hideout, aside from its location?"

-----

(current)

Pew-Pew is levitating about 15 feet above the ground in the alleyway. He has Fell Flight and See the Unseen activated as of this morning, which give him a 20 (good) fly speed, see invisibility, and darkvision out to 60 feet. He is holding his scepter in his right hand, and his wand of Benign Transposition in his left. With the group's permission, he is also carrying any items that require UMD (like Mog's wands of Faerie Fire and Enlarge Person) in his belt.

"Hold up a moment." Pew-Pew scans what he can see of the staircase with Detect Magic. If he detects any magical auras (he angles his cone to not include any party members), he concentrates for the full three rounds to determine their strength and location. Otherwise, he gives the all clear.

Once we start moving, Pew-Pew will be floating at ceiling level (but being careful not to touch the ceiling) directly above the foremost member of the group (unless Chili is scouting ahead stealthily, in which case Pew-Pew floats above the second in the marching order). He is constantly keeping Detect Magic up with concentration (refreshing it with his at-will SLA whenever its duration runs out) and scanning the terrain ahead. Should any auras ping, he will immediately let out a "Hsst!" to the party, indicating that they should stop.

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-13, 05:52 PM
"I wouldn't know. Can't get close to him and everyone else is too scared to turn on him, afraid of what sort of lurid details he'd hold over their heads."

===

There are no magical auras within 60 feet down.

demigodus
2013-01-13, 07:14 PM
"I suggest that me and Darrin go in the front side by side, him checking for traps, and me ready for any attacks. Darrin, could you be so kind as to check the tunnel in detail for traps?"

Mog said for when they were ready to enter the place. He would hand all of his wands to Pew-Pew, trusting the wizard-thingy to handle all this hocus pocus. And then he would turn to Liara upon noticing that she wasn't wearing a belt.

"I have a magic belt you could use. You can activate it to heal yourself if injured. Or heal others when they take injury... I think. Ask Pew-Pew for the specifics. I do know that the magic is weaker if you apply it quickly. Best to use it after a fight, rather then to rapidly heal up in a fight. But it is good for an emergency."

And with that, Mog would hand one of his 2 extra Healing Belts to Liara. If she accepted it. That still left him with one extra in his back pack for emergency situations. He took out his Everburning Torch, and put it on his belt, a cloth wrapped around it. This way it wouldn't illuminate anything, but he could light up the place by just quickly removing the cloth. Finally, he would take out his magical spiked chain, holding it in two hands.

Just to be sure, he would try to listen for some noises down the corridor.

Juntao112
2013-01-13, 07:15 PM
"Alright, let's advance cautiously. I want everyone to keep their wits about them," Liara says as she accepts the belt.

She activates her Draconic Senses aura to give everyone a +2 bonus to Listen, Search, and Spot checks, her Motivate Care aura to grant everyone a +2 bonus to armor class, and her Motivate Dexterity aura to grat a +4 bonus to Dexterity based checks and skill checks.

She possesses 60ft of darkvision and 20ft of blindsense.

A_S
2013-01-13, 08:13 PM
Pew-Pew also listens at the entrance (OOC: See dice thread for my screw-up). Assuming nobody hears anything, he says, "No time like the present."

Chilingsworth
2013-01-14, 12:59 AM
Darrin remains alert (uses quick reconoiter every round for a free listen and spot check) However, he's a normal human who has only normal sight.

I'll do what I can, but sadly I can't see in the dark. I think you're right, Mog. Pew, if you could keep scanning for magical entrapments?

Also, I have a spare rod of viscid globs, if anyone would like a chance to glob up some of the thugs we're likely to meet?

A_S
2013-01-14, 01:07 AM
"Will do. What's our marching order, then? Liara and Mog across the front, me above, Darrin right behind?"

(OOC: If this is acceptable, I'm ready to move on whenever. I'll advance as I mentioned previously, just below the ceiling above the front-most party member, scanning with Detect Magic and issuing a warning if anything pings.)

Chilingsworth
2013-01-14, 01:09 AM
I would suggest me and Mog up front- no, I don't much like the idea of my being up front, either, but it's nessicary if I'm to search out traps. Pew behind to scan for magical auras, with Liara watching our backs.

He pauses, replaying what Pew-Pew just suggested.

Ah, yes you and your magic bit lets you fly. Yes, you should be above Mog and I. However, should the ceiling drop, that will no longer be possible.

Juntao112
2013-01-14, 01:12 AM
"Shh! I'm still trying to figure out if I heard something or not."

A_S
2013-01-14, 01:27 AM
Pew-Pew flinches at Liara's admonishment, and nods agreement to Darrin's suggested marching order.

demigodus
2013-01-14, 12:42 PM
"If vision is a problem, I can just light the way"

Mog would say before uncovering his ever burning torch. This would let him and Darian see for 40feet, but we can be spotted from up to the same distance.

ooc: I'm ready to enter

A_S
2013-01-14, 01:26 PM
"Probably for the best. I can see in the dark, but I can't spot traps like Darrin can, and if we get in a fight, I can't be giving y'all a blow-by-blow."

Chilingsworth
2013-01-14, 02:02 PM
Quite right, Pew. Thanks, Mog. That everburning torch was a wise purchase. I suppose we'll just have to deal with the hit to our stealth.

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-14, 02:19 PM
After working out how they will proceed, preparing themselves, and searching for some sign of activity that wasn't present the group descends down into the darkness of the winding stairway with Liara in the back and everyone else directly in front of her. Visibility was extremely limited by the curving stone walls even with the Continual Flame brightening the otherwise dark area and once far enough down the light from above no longer shone down it was the only source of light in this dreary place. The stairs seemed to go on forever, perhaps due to how long it was taking to search for traps that were not there... well, except one pressure plate on one of the stairs ahead, connected to some device you can't see.

Darrin: 35/35 HP. 20/13/17 AC. R: Spectral Dagger. L: Nothing.
Mog: 78/78 HP. 16/11/15 AC. R: Spiked Chain. L: Spiked Chain.
Pew-Pew: 55/55 HP. 18/14/15 AC. R: Scepter. L: Benign Transposition.
Liara: 56/56 HP. 24/13/22 AC. R: Sword. L: Shield. [+2 Listen/Search/Spot/AC, +4 Dex checks]

Total time elapsed: 00:41:00.

Juntao112
2013-01-14, 02:21 PM
"A pressure plate? Darrin, can we jump over it?"

A_S
2013-01-14, 02:40 PM
"Also, see if you can see anything on the steps beyond...I don't want us to jump over a pressure plate only to bump a tripwire on the next step down."

demigodus
2013-01-14, 02:57 PM
"No, wise would be purchasing it because I have trouble seeing in the dark. I just simply had money left for shopping. It was dumb luck."

Mog corrected with a smile as they continued down the stairs until Darian located a trap.

"If there is another pressure plate beyond this one, keep checking how far they go. I can jump pretty far ven carrying one of you. However this is a proper entrance where our marks minions must enter through. Likely it is only a convoluted alarm. Likely... This guy might be crazy"

Chilingsworth
2013-01-14, 03:14 PM
Hmm, right. Let me deal with this delight, then I'll check for others.

*Darrin pulls out his tools and attempts to disarm the pressure plate, then returns them to his haversack*

(assuming he doesn't set the trap off, he checks for secondary traps.)

(bah, I should have posted the rolls first, (or waited for a minute before trying to post them.)

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-14, 03:20 PM
Darrin sets to work and easily detaches the pressure plate from whatever device it was set to trigger. There are no other traps he can detect in the immediate area following.

Darrin: 35/35 HP. 20/13/20 AC. R: Spectral Dagger. L: Nothing.
Mog: 78/78 HP. 16/11/16 AC. R: Spiked Chain. L: Spiked Chain.
Liara: 56/56 HP. 24/13/22 AC. R: Sword. L: Shield. [+2 Listen/Search/Spot/AC, +4 Dex checks]

Total time elapsed: 00:41:30.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-14, 03:23 PM
Right. I believe we're clear. I'll keep a lookout, though.

(I'll continue sweeping as we move forward, taking 10 gives me a 27 search. Also a 22 spot and listen (free actions due to quick reconoiter))

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-14, 04:24 PM
OOC: Doesn't seem there's any change, so...

With that obstacle out of the way, the group keeps going with Darrin proceeding very slowly to watch out for further traps and the rest moving at his pace. Just when the dullness was starting to settle in the group is startled out of their reverie by a harsh hiss from Pew-Pew.

Darrin: 35/35 HP. 20/13/20 AC. R: Spectral Dagger. L: Nothing.

Total time elapsed: 00:57:30.

Juntao112
2013-01-14, 04:40 PM
"I don't like the sound of this," Liara mutters. "Status report?"

A_S
2013-01-14, 04:56 PM
(I assume Pew-Pew hissed because something pinged on Detect Magic.)

"Magic ahead...a moment."

He concentrates for two more rounds to get full information. What does he see?

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-14, 05:06 PM
OOC: That is correct.

Pew-Pew detects the presence of magical auras and calls for a halt. As he attempts to determine their source they disappear.

Everyone not named Pew-Pew:

You hear quiet metallic clanking sounds from below. It sounds like someone in armor moving away.

A_S
2013-01-14, 05:20 PM
Whispered: "Cover may be blown. Care."

(OOC: Detect magic doesn't impair my other senses, afaik. Still don't read that spoiler?)

Chilingsworth
2013-01-14, 05:32 PM
*Darrin tries to pinpoint on the sound*

Juntao112
2013-01-14, 05:40 PM
"I hear movement! Sounds like someone in armor. We must be cautious."

A_S
2013-01-14, 06:00 PM
Pew-Pew readies an action to Eldritch Blast (Eldritch Spear, Frightful Blast), with condition: See someone in full plate armor coming toward us.

(I don't fire it automatically, though; I get to decide once I see who's coming.)

(*edit* Armor, Pew doesn't know about the full plate officially.)

Juntao112
2013-01-14, 06:09 PM
"Do you think they've seen the torchlight?"

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-14, 06:13 PM
While everyone continues discussing this mysterious armor clad figure he does nothing they can see, hear, or otherwise perceive.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-14, 06:13 PM
*Darrin nods to Liara*
(speaking softly)

Yes, heavy armor, probably fullplate. I... think... he's moving away from us. In any case, he is (or at least, was) below and ahead of us. If these stairs keep their current course, then he's not on them. Let's keep going. Hmm, maybe these stairs really aren't trapped.

*Darrin draws out one of his rods of viscid globs, keeping it in his off hand. He also continues to use his quick reconoiter feat*

demigodus
2013-01-14, 06:25 PM
"If any of these walls are illusions, with a secret tunnel in them or something, would any of you be able to detect it?"

Mog says as he positions himself so that he is in front of Darrin.

"Well, if we are fighting him, it will be on ground of his choosing. Just in case my fear of it splitting off into a different path is right, be ready for attacks to the rear."

(Every round, move action to move, standard action to ready an action to hit anyone other than the party that gets in range, using Stand Still)

A_S
2013-01-14, 06:42 PM
"I might not be able to see through the illusion, but I would at least be aware of the presence of Illusion magic somewhere. Speaking of which, whatever magic I sensed earlier has disappeared. Its source may have become aware of us, so keep being careful."

Pew moves forward, his pattern being:
-Move action to move.
-Standard action to ready Eldritch Blast should anyone not the party appear.

Note that this means he's no longer concentrating on Dispel Magic, and it fades.

If we find any evidence of a doorway or an end to the stairwell, Pew-Pew whispers, "Wait" to the party.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-14, 06:45 PM
Darrin Nods

Right, Mog. Also, if we run into him, I'll try to entangle him. Oh, and as for illusions... well, I might discover their illusory nature while I search, but our best bet would be Pew. Especially since we should be moving faster than we can with my searching.

*move action, move forward 20ft, standard action ready action to use my rod of viscid globs on any hostile we meet and gets within the rod's 100ft range. Free action, quick reconoiter.*

(*edit* forgot about the rest of the party's movement speed.)

A_S
2013-01-14, 06:59 PM
Revise my above MO: I trade my Benign Transposition wand (which goes back in my belt) for my Enlarge Person one, and my ready action is to use it on Mog in the event that I see any non-party.

Nah. He will switch wands, but his ready action remains Eldritch Blast.

(sorry for changing my mind so much)

*edit* Le sigh. Pew keeps scanning with Detect Magic as his standard action instead.

demigodus
2013-01-14, 08:21 PM
Still the party would not be looking for traps, Mog would travel 20 feet each round, and then ready his action against attacks. He would make sure he was always in front of Darrin, so that Mog started 5 feet in front of Darrin, moved to 25 feet ahead of him, and then let Darrin catch up.

"Since there might be traps, and these tunnels are wide enough to go two abreast, those of us that are walking should walk on one side of it. Would give us a 50% chance to bypass any trap, by just walking by next to it. As for Pew-Pew, he should fly on the other side so that a line type attack doesn't hit him."

Yes, Mog was paranoid. Would it pay off? Probably not. However, he specifically started walking on the right side of the corridor

A_S
2013-01-14, 08:25 PM
Pew-Pew nods and floats sideways a little.

(I'm fine with that marching order plan.)

Chilingsworth
2013-01-14, 08:38 PM
*Darrin likewise nods*

said quietly, but approvingly:

You have a rogue's caution, Mog. Perhaps better than this rogue's.

(I'm likewise in favor of the plan.)

Moving 20ft a round, staying behind Mog. Keep my action to glob any hostile that comes within 100ft of me, and continue to use my quick reconoiter as a free action.

Juntao112
2013-01-14, 09:30 PM
I will stay behind Darrin and follow.

"Steady, lads. Weapons at the ready now. We'll make sure to get in position, then we really hit them hard. Mog, I want you tripping them left and right when I give the word. Then Darrin moves in to flank, and we neutralize the targets."

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-15, 07:39 AM
The group gets in a line and advances forward slowly, and then stops and readies themselves against attack... but nothing happens. The presence of magical auras does return.

Everyone advances forward again and then halts... and again nothing happens. Pew-Pew detects five nine auras, all of which are faint.

Everyone advances a third time... and the stairs finally open out into what lies below.

The room before you is about 25x30 with a 20 foot ceiling. Other than the stairs down, a iron door directly across from the stairs provides the only other obvious way out. A large bag filled with many lumpy objects sits in front of the door, and a small bell hangs from the wall beside it. A wire runs from the bell into the wall.

A very bored looking armored giant stands in the middle of the room, leaning on his greatclub.

"You are the slowest, loudest, and most inept group of intruders I've ever had the good fortune of beating into the ground. Tell me more of your plans to attack me..."

OOC: No readied actions because you are moving, and then readying an action. However with that Init result, does it matter?

w w w d d w w w
w . . . . . . w
w . . . . . . w
w . . G G . . w
w . . G G . . w
w . . . . . . w
w w w . M w w w
w w w w P D w w
w w w w w . L w

Darrin: 35/35 HP. 20/13/20 AC. R: Spectral Dagger. L: Rod.
Pew-Pew: 55/55 HP. 18/14/15 AC. R: Scepter. L: Enlarge Person.

Total time elapsed: 00:59:00.

A_S
2013-01-15, 11:29 AM
Pew-Pew opens his scaly, toothy maw and breathes out a crackling line of acid. Then he waves his wand at Mog, swelling him to full size, drops it, and draws another.

-----

Swift Action: Breath weapon at the giant (since I'm at ceiling level, the line includes no party members). He takes 7 acid damage (Reflex DC 17 for half). If he takes any damage, he is entangled and takes extra acid damage for 4 rounds

Standard Action: Enlarge Person on Mog.

Free Action: Drop wand of Enlarge Person.

Move Action: Draw wand of Benign Transposition.

Mog is enlarged for 10 more rounds, and I can't use my breath weapon for 6 more rounds.

Juntao112
2013-01-15, 11:50 AM
"You are the slowest, loudest, and most inept group of intruders I've ever had the good fortune of beating into the ground. Tell me more of your plans to attack me..."

"Well, I was planning on having the orc trip you and the thief stab you in a vial organ while the halfling shot at you from a distance. I might also participate in the violence at some point."

Liara will switch her aura to Motivate Strength on her turn. As my initiative is 14, Mog's first actions will not have my Cha bonus to his strength checks unless he delays.

demigodus
2013-01-15, 12:29 PM
Mog would delay a moment until Liar gave her orders. He would then attack. He would not resist being enlarged

Free action: rage (+6 to str and con, AC penalty)

Make a trip attempt. If successful, that gives him a free attack that he takes. And last attack is a regular attack.

If it fails, if he would be tripped, drop spiked chain and move action to draw the non-magical one.

If the trip fails but he is not tripped, make another trip attempt. If that succeeds, he gets a free attack.

If that fails and he is tripped, just drop the chain instad, so that he isn't tripped

A_S
2013-01-15, 12:30 PM
*edit* (OOC: I got ninja'd by Mog, so I don't think it's kosher anymore for me to make changes to my action. Nevermind.)

Chilingsworth
2013-01-15, 02:48 PM
Darrin Shoots a glob at the giant, if he hits, he needs to make a dc 15 reflex save or be entangled. If it hits but he makes the save, the giant is still at half movement. (e.g. as per a tanglefoot bag.)

Then Darrin drops the rod and draws his short sword.

(also, I didn't include a firing into combat penalty on my attack roll since I'm guessing I went first due to initiative and he wasn't in combat yet.)

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-15, 03:02 PM
Pew-Pew unleashes his inner acid reflux on the giant, who seems more amused than hurt by the blast. He then uses his wand to make Mog grow larger, but despite the orc now being larger than the giant the latter still seemed unimpressed.

Liara hung back and lectured Mog on how best to make big things fall down while the now super sized orc attempted to do exactly this. His chain wound about the giant, who was as immovable as a rock... until he pulled back. Neither of them fell over however.

Mog tried his luck again at the risky maneuver and again faced considerable resistance... but this time managed to overcome it, and with a loud crash of metal and stone the giant hit the floor. His chain then came down upon him with a loud "Dink!" sound.

Finally Darrin fired off a glob of some sticky white stuff and glued the giant to the floor.

Looking rather unamused, the giant swings hard at Mog, his club taking the orc in the middle with tremendous force!

OOC: Mog takes 257 damage and must make a DC 27 check or slam into Darrin, dealing 30 damage to them both. He also isn't done with you yet...

As Mog flies backwards and crashes into his friends, possibly making Pew-Pew regret his earlier decision the giant bellows with laughter.

"See how much better your plans work when you don't announce them?"

He swings low at Mog, who jumps over it.

OOC: Now he is done with you... for now.

w w w d d w w w
w . . . . . . w
w . . . . . . w
w . . G G . . w
w . . G G . . w
w . . . . . . w
w w w M M w w w
w w w w MPMDw w
w w w w w . L w

Darrin: 5/35 HP. 20/13/20 AC. R: Spectral Dagger. L: Short Sword.
Mog: 21/78 HP. 16/11/16 AC. R: Spiked Chain. L: Spiked Chain.
Pew-Pew: 27/55 HP. 18/14/15 AC. R: Scepter. L: Enlarge Person.
Liara: 56/56 HP. 24/13/22 AC. R: Sword. L: Shield. [+2 Listen/Search/Spot/AC, +4 Str checks]

Total time elapsed: 00:59:06.

Juntao112
2013-01-15, 03:42 PM
"Darrin, take cover! Pew, try to put the fear of magic into him!"

Switch Draconic senses aura to the healing aura. Fast healing 2 per round every turn for those at or below half health. She will also use one charge of her Healing Belt to heal Mog for 7 points of damage.

A_S
2013-01-15, 04:45 PM
Pew fires off a blast of eldritch energy from his scepter.

-----

The giant takes 4 acid damage. He is entangled for 3 more rounds from my breath weapon.

Standard action: Frightful Eldritch Spear, spending 3 charges on my Scepter and using Maximize SLA. It deals 42 damage, plus DC 15 Will or be shaken.

Mog is enlarged for 9 more rounds, and I can't use my breath weapon for 5 more rounds.

demigodus
2013-01-15, 04:55 PM
Mog decided to make a witty combat to the troll's snug remark.

"ROAR!"

Mog would then proceed to full attack the smug bastard, smashing his chain into him twice.

Currently down 48 health, max health normally 78, 91 when raging.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-15, 05:01 PM
Ow. Mog, get offa me!

Heals 2 damage from the healing aura, and uses a charge of his belt on himself for 11 points.

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-15, 05:11 PM
OOC: Worth noting that the second attack barely hit. One lower and you can guess what would have happened.

While Liara continues leading from the back, Pew-Pew fires a massive blast of energy down from his scepter, striking the felled giant in the face. Then, while Darrin cowers behind him Mog smashes his spiked chain against that armor with a loud "Tink!" sound, and then does it again...

And their opponent stops moving.

Darrin: 18/35 HP. 20/13/20 AC. R: Spectral Dagger. L: Short Sword.
Mog: 30/78 HP. 16/11/16 AC. R: Spiked Chain. L: Spiked Chain.
Pew-Pew: 29/55 HP. 18/14/15 AC. R: Scepter. L: Enlarge Person.
Liara: 56/56 HP. 24/13/22 AC. R: Sword. L: Shield. [+2 Listen/Search/Spot/AC, +4 Str checks]

Total time elapsed: 00:59:12.

demigodus
2013-01-15, 05:19 PM
ooc: Worth noting that his initial bullrush only succeeded by 1.

Mog would move out of the squeezed area, standing on the side of the creature (right side of the map), and smash the creature's head with his spiked chain. He would end his attacks, and his rage once the commander told him to. Besides, although he did not know it, it had only been 36 seconds since Pew Pew had seen 9 different magical auras. It would be reasonable to check on those again.

Juntao112
2013-01-15, 05:21 PM
"Alright, Darrin, Pew, get behind me and pull yourselves together. Darrin, keep an ear out for trouble. Pew, be ready to shoot the giant a few more times in case he's playing dead. Mog, help me check to see if he's got a pulse; if not, we should either tie him up for interrogation or kill him."

Liara will move towards the giant and prod him with her sword. She will turn off Motivate Strength and reactivate Motivate Dexterity in case rope tying is called for.

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-15, 05:23 PM
Mog hits him again, and he doesn't even flinch this time. Seems he was already dead.

Juntao112
2013-01-15, 05:25 PM
"Good job. Let's see if he has anything useful on him."

Liara will begin the ceremonious post battle ritual of looting the corpse.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-15, 05:35 PM
Darrin will retrieve his rod of globs (returning his sword to its sheath) and shake the dirt off himself as his wounds close thanks to Liara's aura. Also, continue to use his quick reconoiter feat.

Well, that was unplesant. Dang tight spaces.

(Also, my wounds stop healing at my current hp.)

So... when do we pass out the vigors?

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-15, 06:31 PM
Everything remains quiet, save the party's actions and ever present discussions as they begin depriving the giant of his belongings.

Other than his weapon and armor, he has a crystal attached to each and a belt pouch containing a ring of keys and five potion vials - one empty, one closed with a clear fluid within, and the others closed and filled with more sticky white stuff.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-15, 07:27 PM
Pew, care to pass your arcan-o-vision over this stuff?

Hmm... Well, I think any chance of stealth is probably blown by now. Why don't we huddle up so we can quietly come up with a new plan? So nice of the big fella to give us useful advice, don't you think?

Juntao112
2013-01-15, 07:31 PM
"Well, it'd be nice if we could have Darrin scout as he's much quieter than the rest of us, but unfortunately he needs to carry a torch and that kind of negates the whole stealth part."

Chilingsworth
2013-01-15, 07:33 PM
(Was that in a huddle?)

Juntao112
2013-01-15, 07:40 PM
Doesn't need to be. Liara has Motivate Dexterity up. The louder she talks, the quieter she is. :smalltongue:

(But yes, it was whispered in a huddle.)

A_S
2013-01-15, 08:05 PM
Pew scans the room with Detect Magic for long enough to locate any auras present. What does he find?

When he is done scanning, he heals himself to full health with his Healing Belt (it takes all 3 charges)

Chilingsworth
2013-01-15, 08:47 PM
Darrin uses his belt to heal himself, for 13 points. Then, deciding that he's well enough, he uses the belt's final daily charge to heal Mog... for 3.

demigodus
2013-01-15, 11:23 PM
Assuming Pew doesn't find anything, the following post happens:

Mog stops raging, and receives some quick treatment.

"Thank you for the healing. Take this. I tend to be too angry to put it to use."

He says as he takes out his extra healing belt in his backpack, and hands it to Darrin. He then proceeds to use his own healing belt on himself, consuming all charges from it.

Finally, he helps with the looting. He will strip the armor and put it in his backpack to carry, but leave the weapon unless Pew Pew identified it as magical. He figures someone with a magical space of holding can take the potions. The key is probably needed to open the door.

"By the way, don't forget to search the door for traps before trying to unlock it."

Finally, he looks over at his shoes, and considers Darrin who had trouble getting into melee range.

"Do you want to wear my shoes? They let you teleport a short distance. Could help us flank targets so that you can back stab them. Too bad you don't carry a ballista to back stab people with."

70/79 hp, belt out of charges.

Juntao112
2013-01-15, 11:37 PM
Liara will switch back to the Draconic Senses aura now that everyone's healed. Add +2 to Listen, Search, and Spot again!

Chilingsworth
2013-01-15, 11:43 PM
Darrin gratfully accepts the healing belt

Ah, thanks. I'll put it to good use. And I think a short range teleportation would be very useful to me, if you truly can't put it to best use. Oh, and I was going to search the door just as soon as we had confirmed a new plan. Thanks for the reminder, though.

He places his spent belt in his pack and puts the new one on. He also replaces his shoes with the anklets.

(just to be clear, this is all happening quietly, right?)

Juntao112
2013-01-16, 12:00 AM
(With cat-like tread.)

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-16, 07:42 AM
Pew scans the room with Detect Magic for long enough to locate any auras present. What does he find?

When he is done scanning, he heals himself to full health with his Healing Belt (it takes all 3 charges)

All of the items from the Ogre, except the empty vial and the keys are magical. Nothing else is, party items excluded.

All auras are faint, and their schools are:

Weapon: Evocation.
Weapon crystal: Necromancy.
Armor: Abjuration.
Armor crystal: Abjuration(?). (away from books)
Clear potion: Illusion.
White potions: Conjuration.

OOC: Is Darrin the only one with any healing left?

Darrin: 31/35 HP. 20/13/20 AC. R: Spectral Dagger. L: Short Sword.
Mog: 71/78 HP. 16/11/16 AC. R: Spiked Chain. L: Spiked Chain.

Total time elapsed: 01:01:00.

A_S
2013-01-16, 11:18 AM
Quietly, Pew shares his findings with the group, along with a little speculation:

"I'm guessing the white potions are healing, and the weapon crystal is probably Life Drinking. The door doesn't seem to have any magical traps on it, though we should still check it for mundane ones."

(OOC: I have a non-eternal wand of LV, but I think Darrin's the only one with healing that doesn't count toward our consumable allowance.)

*edit* Pew also takes five minutes to study the potions, coming to a conclusion about one of the white vials.

Or rather, he spends 4 minutes wasting time.

Juntao112
2013-01-16, 12:39 PM
"Alright. Let's try that door, eh?"

demigodus
2013-01-16, 12:52 PM
"Actually could I use your shoes? Caltrops are a pain"

Mog said after handig gear to Darrin. He would then de-crystal the monsters weapons, and put the crystals in his own. He had no idea what they did though.

The beasts club and weapons, once disassembled, would go in his backpack.

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-16, 01:12 PM
Mog attempts to take the crystals for himself. While the weapon crystal fits right in, the armor crystal falls off and try as he might he could not get it to stay attached.

A_S
2013-01-16, 01:30 PM
Pew picks up the potions and pockets them.

Juntao112
2013-01-16, 02:18 PM
Liara will listen at the door.

Check result of 27.

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-16, 02:22 PM
Liara doesn't hear anything beyond the door.

Juntao112
2013-01-16, 02:41 PM
"The coast is clear... either that or our enemies are holding very still behind that door."

demigodus
2013-01-16, 02:59 PM
Mog puts away the armor crystal unless anyone else wants it, and goes by the door, readying an action to trip anything that comes through. Or pick the lock with style if Darrin doesn't want to pick it

Chilingsworth
2013-01-16, 03:05 PM
(quietly)

Sure Mog, if my shoes will fit you, feel free.

So, healing potions and... invisibility, maybe? Could come in handy.

Anyway, the door.

Darrin first listens at it, then searches it for traps.

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-16, 04:13 PM
Darrin hears and finds nothing hazardous as well.

He does however find that the door is two doors - the obvious massive metal door, and a second door set into the first but well camouflaged and only man sized. While the large door has a handle and keyhole, the smaller door does not appear to be openable from this side.

Juntao112
2013-01-16, 04:27 PM
"Good luck opening the door!"
I am going to switch to the Motivate Strength aura to help open the door, and then back to Motivate Dexterity afterwards.

(Is Mog going to open it?)

Chilingsworth
2013-01-16, 04:39 PM
(Quietly)

I don't think it's trapped, but it does have a smaller door set within it. I don't see a way to open the smaller door from here, though.

Hmm... Before we open this, should we come up with a specific plan on what to do going forward? Once we've done that, would you care to give the door a try, Mog?

*Darrin steps away from the door to rejoin the group and get out of Mog's way.*

Juntao112
2013-01-16, 04:43 PM
"Here's my idea: Mog opens it and I take a look to see what's there. If anything attacks us, I'll take the blow and you can counter attack.

A_S
2013-01-16, 04:50 PM
Pew drops Detect Magic and uses a standard action to ready Eldritch Blast, on the condition that anything animate and not the party appears when we open the door.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-16, 05:02 PM
Right. Ok Mog, when you're ready.

*Darrin puts his glob rod back in his haversack and draws his shortsword, standing as close as he can to the door without getting in Mog's way (assuming the door opens towards us, unless I managed to notice differently?) Readying an action to attack any hostile that comes within 10ft of me (using a 5ft step if needed.)*

demigodus
2013-01-16, 05:20 PM
Mog will switch to his non-magic spiked chain, in case this game uses altered sundering rules. He then launches 5 attacks at the door to sunder it if that desn't make a notable dent, he will try the giants keys on the big door, to open it. If that doesn't work, then he will try to force the small door open, giving it 2 more tries if the first one, taken calmly (taking 10 if allowed) fails

Chilingsworth
2013-01-16, 05:41 PM
Umm, Mog, maybe try the keys... first?

(D'oh! We have keys...)

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-16, 05:53 PM
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/356/9/e/troll_face_by_xxcheshiii_chanxx-d35gxcv.jpg

OOC: Odd as it is, spiked chains are a purely piercing weapon and can't bash down doors, even though they seem like a weapon that could.

Mog bangs on the door a while, making a ton of noise but not much else.

Darrin sheepishly suggests he try the keys, and Mog finds the first to fit easily into the lock, and the door to be not hard at all for him to open.

It swings into the darkness...

And the darkness attacks! No Magic Missile? Sorry, you're dead.

The dark hallway beyond is empty of anything visible or invisible that might want to attack them and stretches ahead as far as anyone can see.

Placed at 10 foot intervals starting from just beside the now open door are sets of bells, low to the ground and sure enough tripwires run between the pairs of bells and across the hallway.

OOC: I think I put everyone in the correct place, if not then adjust before doing anything.

w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w d d w w w
w = = = M L = w
w = = = P D = w
w = = = = = = w
w = = = = = = w
w = = = = = = w
w w w = = w w w
w w w w = = w w
w w w w w = = w

Darrin: 31/35 HP. 20/13/20 AC. R: Spectral Dagger. L: Short Sword.
Mog: 71/78 HP. 16/11/16 AC. R: Spiked Chain. L: Spiked Chain.

Total time elapsed: 01:07:00.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-16, 06:02 PM
(why am I in two squares? :smallconfused: d'oh! that's the door.:smallredface:)

(quietly)

Ok, the tripwires are obvious enough, so that means they're likely decoys for worse traps. Guess it's back to slow searching for us. Mog, please shield me, I should be able to search far enough ahead.

(Search Mod +17, for 27 take 10. Any traps (icluding those tripwires) I find Disable Device Mod +15 for 25 take 10, unless you want me to roll those?)

Also, sheathe my short sword to free up a hand as needed for my searching and disabling.

A_S
2013-01-16, 06:18 PM
Pew swaps out the Enlarge wand for the Benign Transposition wand. After that, he's ready to move out, in our current marching order (still flying at ceiling level).

Juntao112
2013-01-16, 07:39 PM
"Pew can fly without setting off the traps; perhaps he should scout ahead sixty feet or so while Darrin searches for traps?"

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-17, 01:15 PM
Liara suggests Pew-Pew go ahead by himself, but he thinks that's a terrible idea so they instead advance as a group.

They advance slowly but methodically, the first tripwire easily unstrung and nothing found between it and the second. He unstrings the second as well, glances up...

And everyone hears a curiously nonmetallic "Click." sound.

Followed by a quartet of arrows flying from the darkness ahead at them!

Two strike Pew-Pew right in the eyes, and he crashes to the ground motionless.

One hits Darrin in the heart, and he falls as well, though unlike his magical friend he isn't quite dead yet.

And the last hits Mog in the knee!

OOC: Yes, all of those were critical hits. Yes, there is a reason for that.

Yes, I expect the complaints to continue once more.

w ? ? = = ? ? w
w ? ? = = ? ? w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w M L w w w
w w w P D w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w = = w w w
w w w d d w w w
w = = = = = = w
w = = = = = = w
w = = = = = = w
w = = = = = = w
w = = = = = = w
w w w = = w w w
w w w w = = w w
w w w w w = = w

Darrin: -4/35 HP. 20/13/20 AC. R: Spectral Dagger. L: Nothing.
Mog: 29/71 HP. 16/11/16 AC. R: Spiked Chain. L: Spiked Chain.
Pew-Pew: -21/55 HP. 18/14/15 AC. R: Scepter. L: Benign Transposition.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-17, 02:31 PM
(Ouch! Also, technically I have nothing in either hand, since you drop whatever you're holding when you go unconcious.:smalltongue:)

Juntao112
2013-01-17, 03:56 PM
"Darrin! Get back on your feet, dammit!"
Switch from Daconic Senses to Draconic Vigor.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-17, 04:04 PM
(blurrily)

Wha... what happened? Did I miss one?

Juntao112
2013-01-17, 04:16 PM
"Pew's dead."
Liara would like to evaluate the surroundings. Have they all been stone so far?

demigodus
2013-01-17, 04:23 PM
Mog would pick up the bodies of his two downed companions, both the corpse and the living, and pull them back into the previous room. He could not hear Pew's heart beat either. The little guy seemed dead. That was bad.

"I don't suppose either of you have a scroll of resurrection on you that you can use?"

He asked while positioning the 2 bodies against the wall so that they would not be visible from within the corridor. No one could get to them without entering the room.

"So what do you two want to do? I think we have enough miscellaneous items among us that we could afford a resurrection. However, that would mean giving up this job."

Juntao112
2013-01-17, 04:51 PM
"It would be inadvisable to continue into a deathtrap with only three people. I'm be tempted to drown the place in oil and set fire to the damn thing."

Chilingsworth
2013-01-17, 05:12 PM
(When Darrin comes to)

What, they killed Pew?!

(cold rage)

Yes, Yes, Let's kill them with fire!

We'll make this place poor Pew's pyre!

Juntao112
2013-01-18, 12:38 AM
"Drop the "p"s and get me some oil, then."

Chilingsworth
2013-01-18, 03:18 AM
*Darrin looks confusedly at Liara*

The... peas?

*he waves it away*

Well, it would probably be a bad idea to leave you here alone, or for us to split up too much. Plus, I doubt that Mog or I could hide our intentions very well should we be questioned. Maybe we should all go?

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-18, 07:54 AM
Mog drags the fallen out of the way, where they cower behind the corner and begin discussing burning the whole place down. Nothing seems to happen. The aura heals Mog as much as it can.

OOC: Mog could not have grabbed the dagger and bodies and got back in one round.

Darrin: 4/35 HP. 20/13/20 AC. R: Nothing. L: Nothing.
Mog: 37/71 HP. 16/11/16 AC. R: Spiked Chain. L: Spiked Chain.

demigodus
2013-01-18, 02:28 PM
Mog would first listen for 6 seconds (2 listen checks) for any sound in the corridor. If here was no sound, he would drop his backpack (free action), move over to the... whatever they had killed, and lug it over his body. Since it was significantly bigger than him, it should completely cover him against attacks down the tunnel. He would then move down the tunnel like this until he got to the dagger, which he would pick up, and then return to the room, still hiding under the massive corps.

Finally he would get behind a wall, drop his shield, and return Darrin za dagger

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-18, 03:35 PM
Mog stepped out around the corner to try and get the dagger back and as soon as he did a curiously nonmetallic and mocking "Click." sound came from ahead, followed by three arrows. One bounced off the wall in front of him, but the other two found their marks. Fortunately they didn't seem nearly as well aimed as before.

Darrin: 4/35 HP. 20/13/20 AC. R: Nothing. L: Nothing.
Mog: 12/71 HP. 16/11/16 AC. R: Spiked Chain. L: Spiked Chain.

demigodus
2013-01-19, 04:36 PM
Mog had no choice but to go for it. He would pick up the body, dock his head down, rage so that if he got hit, he might not go below zero, push the body down the tunnel until he got to the dagger, pick up the dagger, and on the way back (still carrying the corpse), pull the door closed behind him. If he was still somehow alive and with more then 11 health left, he would quit raging, so that he could heal up while Larian hopefully locked the door behind them.

"Lets run for it."

If this didn't work and he was killed, he would die. Orcs die when they are killed.

Iron Tarkus
2013-01-19, 04:59 PM
Mog decides to keep going anyways, and makes it as far as the dagger with his improvised shield in tow before finding himself faced with not three glowing arrows coming his way, but six!

Half of them find their mark on his fallen foe, but the other bury themselves into Mog's body and two corpses hit the floor.

OOC: I think it's fair to call this one so...

Darrin, forced to write off the dagger as a lost cause along with Liara turn and flee before the curiously not mechanical archers can recover. They make it around the corner and into the stairway safely and begin making their way back to the surface...

Only to be attacked by the darkness ahead!

Vicious claw marks appear on Darrin, and while his wounds had been mending as they ran it was still too much for him and he collapsed. Liara, with no troops and no other recourse surrendered to avoid the inevitable.

http://stratics.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/dark-souls-you-died-e1332347774360.jpg

Write up coming shortly in the public thread.