PDA

View Full Version : A wizard offers you a deal.

Felandria
2013-01-13, 05:50 PM
You can wake up tomorrow morning as your favorite RPG character you've ever played, at the inn or wherever you started your first campaign.

Give up your old life, everyone you know and love won't be affected by your abscence.

Deal or no deal?

Eldan
2013-01-13, 05:51 PM
Deal. Immortality (which he'd have) is worth any sacrifice. Magic and a cool world with things to be discovered is a nice bonus on top.

Arcanist
2013-01-13, 05:52 PM
You can wake up tomorrow morning as your favorite RPG character you've ever played, at the inn or wherever you started your first campaign.

Give up your old life, everyone you know and love won't be affected by your abscence.

Deal or no deal?

I wake up as a 9th level Archivist in a small library (up to 5th level spells) near a landmark similar to Stonehenge called a "Touchstone".

Hmmm... Yeah... I'd do it :smallsmile:

Loth17
2013-01-13, 06:02 PM
Deal i get to be an immortal superpowered mage.

Ravens_cry
2013-01-13, 06:04 PM
On one hand, that character is a paladin, and I don't know if I have the moral fortitude to actually *be* a paladin. On the other hand, that character found the love of his life and married her, which is better than I have done so far.:smallsmile:

Tanngrisnir
2013-01-13, 06:10 PM
No deal. I love my family and I wouldn't trade spending my life with them for anything.

Asheram
2013-01-13, 06:16 PM
Before time skip?

An 19'th level elven wizard, protector of the land, right hand of the sultan and owner of atleast three fiefdoms

After time skip

A 500 year old elven wizard of >20 levels, owner of half the desert kingdoms and the right hand man of the sultan with no telling how many wives, children and grandchildren.

Ah. Azif Aram al Rashid... I miss you.
My friends hated him, I played him pretty much like Flanders without the religious influence. If you ever see a desert elf who shouts Hi, neighbor!, run.

Hell yes, I'd take that deal...

Slipperychicken
2013-01-13, 06:16 PM
I roll to disbelieve the Wizard.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-01-13, 06:19 PM
I find out what the catch is, and if they tell me there isn't one, they're lying.

PaperMustache
2013-01-13, 06:21 PM
Deal. Sanity and morality be damned. First level sorc who took over half the civilized world by level 5, and then became a dragon by level 10. Beats an English major.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-13, 06:31 PM
Only if I can take my wife with me.

Though tbh, I'd be more than a little suspicious of what's in it for the wizard.

Also, a wizard in front of me means that magic is real. I'm gonna have to find me some resources on the subject and figure out how to do it myself.

Concrete
2013-01-13, 06:42 PM
My favorite character sold his sanity, his soul, his honour, his laughter, his flesh, his mind and his friends in an endless stream of celestial schemes in a vain, hopless grab for power, leaving him a withered, broken thing, alone and hated, scrambling to escape his debtors, whom he had promised far to much, only to be killed by those he betrayed, his soul ripped to pieces and fought over by al manner of demons, broken gods and twisted darkness until the end of time.
So, no, not really. Also, who would feed my cat if I disappeared?

prufock
2013-01-13, 06:50 PM
"Never trust a wizard."

Plus I don't know which character I'd pick. Conventional wisdom says "the most powerful one," but the more powerful characters come with more dangerous baggage.

allonym
2013-01-13, 06:56 PM
I'd end up being a 76 year old woman in the late 1920s. I'd have a shaky sanity, would have seen most of my friends die or be driven mad, and would have awful, but necessary acts on my conscience, including torture, murder, and the deaths of numerous innocents through my mistakes and actions. I would have the essential knowledge that the Cthulhu Mythos exists and would have recently lost my religious faith. I would have extremely powerful and incredibly angry enemies, some of whom are immortal, and at least one of whom is a god.

However, I would also know magical spells, be an expert markswoman, and be extremely wealthy. I would have the gratitude of the future ruler of Kenya and the authorities in Japan, Shanghai, England and my native USA, where I would also be something of a celebrity, not to mention various other powerful and influential groups. I would have the satisfaction of having saved countless lives and stopped numerous unspeakable evils, and having had the adventure of a lifetime. I would have the allegiance of a cult of the goddess Bast and possibly the blessings of the goddess herself, which may include drastically increased longevity.

It would be a very difficult decision.

Eldan
2013-01-13, 06:57 PM
Eh. My most favourite character is Findelwald Tungsten, a gnomish archivist-scout-artificer-factotum-something whose defining features are being able to tell endless anecdotes, having been to most places in the infinite multiverse somehow and surviving unlikely situations while being always cheerful. I'd be fine.

hymer
2013-01-13, 07:43 PM
What, trade in the ability to play any PC I want to for one of them, and get to feel all their pain? No thanks. Besides, I might be given to question my DM's competence.
Most importantly, I quite like my life as is.

LibraryOgre
2013-01-13, 07:54 PM
...I don't know that I could really pick a favorite.

Besides... I know full well there can be... consequences (http://www.baen.com/chapters/W200302/0743435893.htm).

Erik Vale
2013-01-13, 08:01 PM
An immortal Epic level warlock without useing Homebrew who lives as a adventurer in Sigil or a Ghost Dragon [Dont Ask] Fighter who currently 'lives and works' on a island overrun by undead and covered in snow working against the empire with some rebels whilst being drawn in increasingly dangerous situatuions, or a recently turned Human Vampire Rouge who works for the leader of the Undead in that situation, of whom the last two are both friends and the first two both share names.

So short version:
Immortal, Highly Powerful, access to the entire multiverse, subject to endless pain with access to so much. Like Psychic Reformation, with a possibility of re choosing classes if I beg really nice.
In a crappy situation likely to die. Best friend turned recently, looking for an out.
Recently turned and moderatly powerful vampie looking for a way out and a way to safely contact her friend, also being able to walk around in sunlight due to magic... Oh, and of course, hunted as a undead and needing human blood.

Maybe, No... No becuase I don't have access the plane shift...

And that maybe is a very close maybe leaning towards no. So, what's the wizard getting out of this? [Investigate!]

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-01-13, 08:31 PM
No way. For two reasons. Firstly, I love the life I live now, I love my family and friends. The life I've built is a good one. Secondly, I don't think I've ever built a character without some kind of mental weakness, from PTSD to the inability to trust to just pathological lying. I don't think it would be worth trading both things just for a more exciting/powerful life.

Now if I could convince the wizard to both take me and some choice people and to let me build the character I'm going to be turned into before leaving, then sure! But that's not really in spirit of the deal.

Frozen_Feet
2013-01-13, 08:33 PM
I would end up buried under a mountain, guarded by a paranoid warden who hates my guts for no fault of my own. Even if I could get free, my fate would be that of an exile fighting off increasingly powerful heartless monsters until I succumb or become one myself.

My life might not be so good, but there's only one answer to this question: "hahaha NO".

My characters usually start bad and end up worse, because I like inflicting tragedy on them. Or their hopeful grab for ultimate cosmic power is ended prematurely by sudden and awful death. So this deal kinda doesn't work for me.

Felandria
2013-01-13, 08:35 PM
Some of you missed the part where you wake up wherever you started with the character, meaning you start from the beginning, so if your favorite character met a gruesome fate, you can now avoid it.

Frozen_Feet
2013-01-13, 08:43 PM
I didn't. :smalltongue:

Averis Vol
2013-01-13, 09:26 PM
Hmmmm......would have to be Bregga maleus; Pirate king of the new dawn, level 16 fighter4/rogue3/weapon master 9 or Vincent hawthorne; protector of the realm, lvl 13 Swordsage 4/Warblade 5/ Rogue 4 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12554733&postcount=1)/

of the two I prefer vincent, but either would be fine really. As for my life.....Its good, very good, but the chance to live in another world full of mysteries and things just waiting to be explored.... thats a very tempting life.

Ultimately, I would say yes I think. I have very little communication with loved ones so....eh,why not.

AuraTwilight
2013-01-13, 09:59 PM
Since my favorite RPG character was an Infernal Exalted who became a Bodhisattva embodiment of the Shining Answer, I would bring ultimate Justice and Theodicy to the Omniverse that exalts all beings and answers suffering with the answer that consigns it to falsehood forevermore. Everyone would gain everything at the cost of nothing, and so I would still have my old life and loved ones simultaneously and everyone would have everything they've ever wanted and needed, and would DESERVE those rewards, and so all beings would enjoy the Game of Life eternally.

Golden 100% Completion **** Yeah God Mode Ending For Everyone.

ghost_warlock
2013-01-13, 10:05 PM
A definite "no" for any of my D&D characters. They're all dissimilar enough from me that it would be too jarring - both for me and their companions (who would probably think I was possessing them or something and try to get me banished).

On the other hand, my Champions Online character I played ages ago would be awesome since he was pretty much just a "close enough" version of me with super powers. :smallbiggrin:

Guizonde
2013-01-13, 10:07 PM
so, my life versus my favorite? which one?

halfling paladin on a warpony, pink mohawk proudly raised, wearing a pink and black tabard, smiting evil with a mace and being immune to everything?

downside: i hate horses irl, and i'm short enough as it is without dropping to 2ft8in. oh, and greyhawk, near the temple of elementary evil.

a troll paladin too stupid to realize he's meant to be evil instead of saving his buddies' lives time and time again and getting buildings dropped on him to no effect?

downside: 8ft tall and carnivorous... yeah. not without my buddies to act as faces.

an invisible killing machine creating logic-defying poisons, immune to poisons, sickness and aging?

downside: it's warhammer, so "crapsack world" barely covers it. i'm a chameleon skink in the heart of the empire. for all intents and purposes, i've got Rincewind from discworld meets zero no tsukaima as an adopted mommy (hapless mage who makes things go boom). and i'm the emergency rations.

tough call, but i'd have too much fun wreaking havoc in warhammer's old world. either irl or my loyal poisoner lizard for me.

Moonwolf727
2013-01-13, 10:26 PM
The opportunity to be a character who was basically a carbon copy of me with different colored hair and, unlike myself, had a level configuration consisting of sorcerer5/favoredsoul5/mysticthuerge10/EPIC!mysticthuerge10. I find this isn't a very hard decision, of course I would take the deal.

Although to be fair I do wonder just how I would act with that much, primarily destructive, magic at my fingertips. It's probably not something to worry about much.

J-H
2013-01-13, 10:38 PM
...I don't know that I could really pick a favorite.

Besides... I know full well there can be... consequences (http://www.baen.com/chapters/W200302/0743435893.htm).

I thought of that same book.
My favorite character by time invested is CHARNAME from Baldur's Gate II. No thanks. I like being married, reasonably successful, and living in Texas with no enemies and a reasonable amount of firepower to repulse any attackers with. 5 Magic Missiles once every six seconds would be a step backwards.

Erik Vale
2013-01-13, 10:39 PM
Ok, revaluations, the last to characters get viciously tortured then escape very narrowly to live as wandering vagabonds for the rest of their lives, also known as PC Dom.

The first character instead has to live in isolation for the first part of her life from a god level demon guarded by a fey prince whose insane only with the assistame of her mum, then as a safety measure when found, accidentally gets sent to sigil, living on the streets as a warlock leading into adulthood, followed by the dangerous life of a Sicilian based adventurer.

Make thar a definate no on both parts.

ActionReplay
2013-01-13, 11:03 PM
That would be a negatory. Even if they were unaffected much by my absence, walking out on your groups without a word is a fail. Same with other forums and family.

That said, if I had time to put the word out...sure why not?

Das Platyvark
2013-01-13, 11:05 PM
All my favorite character end up as crazy hobos, acting somewhere between the Joker, Paul Atreides, and Tyler Durden. So, no.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-13, 11:23 PM
That would be a negatory. Even if they were unaffected much by my absence, walking out on your groups without a word is a fail. Same with other forums and family.

That said, if I had time to put the word out...sure why not?

O_o ....... This may be the single most responsible thing I've ever seen a stranger on the internet say.

Kudos good sir!

Sith_Happens
2013-01-13, 11:31 PM
Some of you missed the part where you wake up wherever you started with the character, meaning you start from the beginning, so if your favorite character met a gruesome fate, you can now avoid it.

Are you saying that we'd become our character at the start of the campaign, or our character as they currently/last are/were, but at the physical location where the campaign started?

Arcanist
2013-01-13, 11:44 PM
O_o ....... This may be the single most responsible thing I've ever seen a stranger on the internet say.

Kudos good sir!

For point of reference: Responsible + Adventurer does not mix (My case and point being Pokemon) :smallsigh:

Doxkid
2013-01-14, 12:00 AM
Can I take my bird with me? If yes, sure.

If not, can I take my best friend with me? If yes, I'll try to take my bird as my best friend. Should that fail I'll bring my best buddy instead.

If I cant then...maybe. I've made some weird characters and I don't really have a favorite...I wouldnt want to end up playing my suicidally stupid swordsman-Sorcerer from September (alright, it was October...but the alliteration!), for example, but that Barghest/Monk I created not long ago would be fun.

Sacrieur
2013-01-14, 12:04 AM
I could become a nymph who effortlessly slays old dragons?

Yes please.

Shred-Bot
2013-01-14, 12:09 AM
For point of reference: Responsible + Adventurer does not mix (My case and point being Pokemon) :smallsigh:

Yeah... Mr. And Mrs. Ketchum aren't going to win any parent of the year awards, that's for sure.

As for the question, I'd say yes if I could come back (even better if I have to convince another person to go into their RPG in order to return) but no if it's a one-way ticket. And the whole question is very Erfworld.

Slipperychicken
2013-01-14, 12:24 AM
Yeah... Mr. And Mrs. Ketchum aren't going to win any parent of the year awards, that's for sure.

Yeah... inadequate parenting is requisite for pretty much any kind of children's adventure.

Felandria
2013-01-14, 12:30 AM
Are you saying that we'd become our character at the start of the campaign, or our character as they currently/last are/were, but at the physical location where the campaign started?

The first one.

That way, if you liked how things went, you could simply have the thrill of reliving them and go from there, and if you didn't, this would be like a do over, fix the mistakes you made before and try again.

Arcanist
2013-01-14, 12:31 AM
The first one.

That way, if you liked how things went, you could simply have the thrill of reliving them and go from there, and if you didn't, this would be like a do over, fix the mistakes you made before and try again.

Still yes. I'd be ecstatic to play my old Archivist again :smallsmile:

arguskos
2013-01-14, 12:51 AM
Man, picking a favorite would be tough. I'd either be a Shadowcaster/Wizard/Shadow Theurge with a penchant for journals and quiet observation or a Wizard/Cleric/Mystic Theurge Elder Serpent of Set in the city of Sigil with the entire Multiverse at its disposal.

Yeah, I think I could say that I would accept the deal. Cormac (the Shadowcaster) is waiting for me. :smallsmile:

Felandria
2013-01-14, 12:57 AM
As for myself...

*points at avatar*

Duh.

Although it might be a choice between Felandria and Serra Silverthorne.

Serra was a cleric, her deity was her battle axe, Steve.

Every town we went to, I'd put The Book Of Steve in every room.

The DM, not my current one, loved the idea enough to make Steve real.

Specifically we made Steve intelligent, the powere we rolled were that it could cast fireball, cure moderate wounds and cast major image.

There were similarities between her and Felandria, the whole giant thing was involved there as well, but mostly with Steve, he was going to make Serra a Titan (strictly endgame, not during the campaign itself) so she could travel the world and gather worshippers for Steve and start a new religion, but mostly she was Steve's vessel, using her adventuring to spread the word of Steve.

And in a party of six, I was the sane one.

SowZ
2013-01-14, 01:21 AM
A Chaotic Neutral/Evil Gnome who is the butt monkey of the parties jokes including complete disregard for his safety, (they once threw him into a door to check if it was trapped because he pissed them off,) never gets any action despite hitting on everything that walks, and ended play trapped in an alternate dimension in a campaign that trailed away.

He was a zany/loon character. Most my characters are fairly tragic. I don't think there is a single one whose life is better than mine.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-14, 01:56 AM

As for the question, I'd say yes if I could come back (even better if I have to convince another person to go into their RPG in order to return) but no if it's a one-way ticket. And the whole question is very Erfworld.

To be fair, Ash is sturdier than your average barbarian. How many times has that kid survived being struck by lightning? Blasted with fire? Bashed over the head with something that would crack a normal man's skull?

Letting a kid that's nearly indestructable wander around where he wants is probably not as foolish as it would be with a more typical 12-15 year old kid. (how old is he anyway?) He's also proven time and again during the show that he's shockingly responsible for a kid that age. A little naive and not the sharpest tool in the shed but not really a danger to himself or others either.

Letting a reasonably responsible, nigh-indestructable tween wander around when letting tweens wander around as they please is a cultural norm doesn't seem that far-fetched.

Slipperychicken
2013-01-14, 02:45 AM
Letting a reasonably responsible, nigh-indestructable tween wander around when letting tweens wander around as they please is a cultural norm doesn't seem that far-fetched.

If Ash's invincibility were canon rather than an anime/cartoon convention, I'd toss him a gun (guns do exist in Pokemon canon, and actually frighten Pokemon into submission. It was a subject of one of the earlier episodes) and just have him kill Team Rocket and all the other bad guys.

Sith_Happens
2013-01-14, 02:48 AM
(how old is he anyway?)

IIRC, the first episode of Best Wishes had the narrator call him out as somehow still being 10, the age he started the series at. Despite the fact that there had been 653-659 (depending on region) episodes by that point, almost all of which took place on discrete days from each other, and many of which spanned multiple days.:smallannoyed:

ShadowFireLance
2013-01-14, 02:50 AM
Yes.
Every Single one of my Characters has started at Level 30+...
As Great Wyrm Dragons.
:smallcool:
Life is sOooooo good.

Dumbledore lives
2013-01-14, 03:00 AM
I could be a female necromancer who has made armies of town guards stand down by simply talking to them. She had great necromantic power, even starting out, and eventually became the captain of her own ship with a Mind Flayer second mate and an Illithid submarine.

Hell no. I don't know how much I like my life but going into the D&D world is putting a timer on my life, and not a very long one. Plus I'd give up everything I had, to become something I'm not. And wizards are shifty.

Felandria
2013-01-14, 03:24 AM
Also, the wizard has no ulterior motive or evil scheme.

His world simply needs heroes.

SowZ
2013-01-14, 03:37 AM

Are stats just an abstraction to play the game, or are they literal? Will my mental stats change? Will I become smarter or more charismatic? Could my mental stats actually decrease? Could I simply lose knowledge I have, or gain knowledge I don't otherwise know? If the answer to any of the above is yes, won't my personality change?

Slipperychicken
2013-01-14, 03:38 AM

He'll have a hell of a time convincing me, because this is quite possibly the sketchiest/craziest offer ever. And if it wasn't legit, you'd look like the biggest chump in the world trying to explain it to anyone. Even if you managed to get out of this obvious scam with your life, cash, and dignity intact.

EDIT: If he offers me convincing evidence, I'd just have regular visits with a mental health professional until the end of my days.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-14, 03:41 AM
If Ash's invincibility were canon rather than an anime/cartoon convention, I'd toss him a gun (guns do exist in Pokemon canon, and actually frighten Pokemon into submission. It was a subject of one of the earlier episodes) and just have him kill Team Rocket and all the other bad guys.

I said nigh-indestructable. He can and has been knocked unconcious numerous times.

Also, the team rocket bozos are just as sturdy if not tougher. Almost every episode of the first few seasons saw them soaring away on the shockwave of an explosion or after being catapulted out of some vehicle or over a cliff or the like.

The people of the Poké-verse are significantly tougher than RL humans. That's anime for ya, I guess.

SowZ
2013-01-14, 03:46 AM
I said nigh-indestructable. He can and has been knocked unconcious numerous times.

Also, the team rocket bozos are just as sturdy if not tougher. Almost every episode of the first few seasons saw them soaring away on the shockwave of an explosion or after being catapulted out of some vehicle or over a cliff or the like.

The people of the Poké-verse are significantly tougher than RL humans. That's anime for ya, I guess.

In anime, it is a perfectly rationale response to an insult to smash somebody on the head full force with whatever blunt weapon is in your hand, be it a hammer or brick or large rock. The worst that happens is a large lump, a freeze frame of the guy going WOOOHHOOHAOHAOHA! and possibly him chasing you around for a few seconds.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-14, 03:53 AM
In anime, it is a perfectly rationale response to an insult to smash somebody on the head full force with whatever blunt weapon is in your hand, be it a hammer or brick or large rock. The worst that happens is a large lump, a freeze frame of the guy going WOOOHHOOHAOHAOHA! and possibly him chasing you around for a few seconds.

Not in all of 'em. It's common enough though. Maybe it would be better phrased as anime people are often tougher than RL people.

peacenlove
2013-01-14, 04:03 AM
Hell yes!

Only thing keeping me in check is that I play a female character (male irl).
Else, Moira the Shadow mage from 2nd edition D&D (which survived 3 edition shifts, some thousands of years in stasis, reincarnations, ya know the usual stuff :smalltongue: ) is back in action (Old Netheril) :smallbiggrin:

Alaris
2013-01-14, 04:36 AM
Hmm... well, as of the most recent chapter of the D&D game I'm playing, it would be... my Fatespinner.

Monk 2/Wizard 7/Fatespinner 5/XXX Prestige Class 6

Best part... high level Wizard... I can probably find a way to return to my world. Plenty of spells could be researched for that. ^_^

Earthwalker
2013-01-14, 05:49 AM
Most of my characters are the embodiment of the phrase.
“Show me a hero and I will write you a tradigy”

So with that said I am less likely to want to switch. Yeah they may be driven, but it usually a great loss that drives them to do good. Another factor is my favourite characters are from Shadowrun and its not a nice world to live.

It would certainly be nice to spend some time as Jake Diamon, occult investigator. Having magic would be so nice, but even this “Hero” is living in a film noireque version of the shadowrun world (so a normal shadowrun world then) and pretty much spends his life getting very small victories but suffering major losses.

People have posted their favourite character builds,its not so easy as to list class and levels for Shadowrun but basically.
Jake was a mix of mage and private investigator.

Skills in perception, forensics, phycology as well as plenty of social skills. Most of his spells were detection spells. He also had an impressive list of contacts. His main weaknesses were with technology and computing, needing to have the hacker of the group sort all that stuff.

mikej
2013-01-14, 07:16 AM
Deal

Despite the weirdness of being a different gender and species, I would choose my old CE female vampire wizard. So I'd be basically trading in my old life that sucks with no benefits for an un-life that still sucks but with benefits.

Ashtagon
2013-01-14, 07:50 AM
Deal.

What's not to like about being Trixie the Magnificent?

(aside from, you know, fingers)

Hopeless
2013-01-14, 07:54 AM
Deal or no deal?

No chance.
Now tell me what the problem is, because if you're willing to make that offer to me you must be desperate!:smallbiggrin:

Seharvepernfan
2013-01-14, 07:54 AM
Deal.

Not even a remotely hard choice.

Yuki Akuma
2013-01-14, 08:00 AM
Considering I'd end up as a female gnome illusionist on her way to becoming a Shadowcraft Mage...

Hell yes.

kardar233
2013-01-14, 08:13 AM
Well... I could just take the offer and Plane Shift back home. The character in question has access to just about every 3.5 spell ever printed (full Sorc/Wiz and Archivist lists) and is just about indestructible. Sounds like a good life. Make my friends similarly invulnerable and immortal... yeah. I'd take it.

Geostationary
2013-01-14, 09:31 AM
... On the one hand, I play Nobilis; on the other, many of my favorite characters are the enemies of Creation. I'd gain phenomenal cosmic power and an impeccable fashion sense while still remaining in the same world as my family (Nobilis ostensibly takes place here, amongst other places), assuming they continue to exist if I suddenly exalt as an Excrucian. So I'd basically become me+ with snazzy dress sense and the knowledge that the world is a lie it tells itself.

randomhero00
2013-01-14, 09:37 AM
This is an interesting question for me actually since you said RPG and favorite, and didn't specify video game or tabletop. Plus its a wizard (probably cryptic and not completely forthcoming or he/she wouldn't be a wizard,) so I assume I wouldn't get to know who I'd end up being :)

1999- EQ1 Blaren the Gnome Necromancer. Half the world hates him, the other half makes fun of him for being a gnome. Of course he got back at all of them...but he's pretty dark. He boils his enemies blood and plays with the dead. Nearly undead himself (can turn into a Lich.) Very harsh world, its borderline if I'd want to be him.

Exalted- A very dark demon summoner/martial artist. The whole world is out to kill him. Very borderline if I'd want to be him.

DnD- A homebrew class from my DM. Kind of a spellsword psion with fewer spells (but better buffs). He ended up becoming a master of undead, the world ends, we leave to another, he ends up a death god. Yeah, again, not sure how happy I'd be being him.

That said, what true RPG gamer wouldn't jump at a chance like that? :D Can't say it'd make me happy long term, but it'd be worth the crazy adventure it'd be.

Vizzerdrix
2013-01-14, 09:46 AM
It wouldn't be a hard decision at all for me. I'd go in a heartbeat and damn the consequences. Heck, the wizard can even have all my stuff if he'll toss in a few free jars of shapesand.

I'd either wake up on the boat ride to Seyda Neen or in an abandoned tavern in the middle of nowhere with half a map and a pounding headache ( and not much else).

Theoboldi
2013-01-14, 11:17 AM
So I get to be an immortal half-fey with the ability to control the minds of pretty much everyone around me, speak telepathically, turn illusions into deadly weapons and flying? Granted, he was horrifically evil and geonicidally racist against seelie fey, but since I'd keep my own personality it wouldn't bother me too much. You have a deal, good man.

Doxkid
2013-01-14, 11:21 AM

He has already made a mistake then, giving the man who thinks like a murder hobo, acts like a murder hobo and lives like a murder hobo the strength and power necessary to be a murder hobo that takes over kingdoms.

Raimun
2013-01-14, 11:42 AM
On one hand, I already like it here.

On the other hand, I could fly...

paddyfool
2013-01-14, 11:57 AM
A clear "NO" to that deal. (Call of Cthulhu... seriously, it doesn't matter how awesome you are, I prefer a verse not infested with gribbly things that like to snack on your soul. Plus, he was missing an arm and most of his sanity by the time we finished).

BlckDv
2013-01-14, 12:33 PM
No.

Accepting for the sake of the thought exercise a waving of the many layers of that is not possible, I would not want to enter a world populated with antiquity style capricious Gods, sinister masters of magic and immortal fiends, which as an Adventurer are going to have a more than normal habit of messing with my life. Exciting to read about or visit in make believe, quickly less so as my life.

I also would not want to abandon my family even knowing it would not "harm" them, or leave aside the good works and faith relationships I have in this life which are lacking from any of my favorite PCs.

Erik Vale
2013-01-14, 03:26 PM
This is an interesting question for me actually since you said RPG and favorite, and didn't specify video game or tabletop. Plus its a wizard (probably cryptic and not completely forthcoming or he/she wouldn't be a wizard,) so I assume I wouldn't get to know who I'd end up being :)

1999- EQ1 Blaren the Gnome Necromancer. Half the world hates him, the other half makes fun of him for being a gnome. Of course he got back at all of them...but he's pretty dark. He boils his enemies blood and plays with the dead. Nearly undead himself (can turn into a Lich.) Very harsh world, its borderline if I'd want to be him.

Exalted- A very dark demon summoner/martial artist. The whole world is out to kill him. Very borderline if I'd want to be him.

DnD- A homebrew class from my DM. Kind of a spellsword psion with fewer spells (but better buffs). He ended up becoming a master of undead, the world ends, we leave to another, he ends up a death god. Yeah, again, not sure how happy I'd be being him.

That said, what true RPG gamer wouldn't jump at a chance like that? :D Can't say it'd make me happy long term, but it'd be worth the crazy adventure it'd be.

I was sticking to my NwN DnD based characters, but a good pick up...
*Thinks about being a potent teleporter, no would be quickly overshadowed*
*Thinks about being a superpowerful mutent with complete controll of electricity, magnatism, and the EM spectrum.... Nah, physiscs don't work so it would be reduced a bit, and EPIC play is pure shenanagins*

Moriwen
2013-01-14, 03:56 PM
Well, at first I was going to say "heck no" because my characters tend to be extremely evil, in inventive and exciting ways.

But then I remembered the simple, pious country priest who, in the process of defeating the evil schemes of a certain Borgia was transformed into a dragon and solved all of the campaign problems by rampaging through the Vatican.

I'll take it. :P

SowZ
2013-01-14, 04:00 PM
Oh, it is favorite character? So I can choose? I won't count forum games. Let's see....

1. CE gnome sorc, no way
2. Blind dwarf. Nope.
3. CN halfling wizard, tragic backstory. Nope.
4. Changeling hunted by the govn. killed best friend. No way.
5. Hunter who, back as an army sergeant, was decorated by taking credit for his men's actions. Ugh, no.
6. Captain of a starship. Not a bad life, but pretty lonely and too serious. No.
7. A drow monk with no understanding of civilization? No thanks. Prolly get killed by some topworlders on accident.
8. A diplomancer elf. Pretty cool life, but caused two full parties under him to die. Guilt complex. Plus, he died by rolling three critical failures on a swim check. Dumb death to an epic character. (Epic as a descriptor, not epic levels.)
9. Pacifist rat-person cleric. Grumpy, lonely, so old he is going to die in a couple years. So no.
10. Barbarian viking guy. Eventually plane shifted into a dimension of pure insanity and torture barring will saves. And, you know, Barbarian. No way in the hells.
11. WoD dream mage thief. Ended up, campaign was largely psychosis. My character killed his own dad, too, as a child and on accident. Not a chance.
12. Drow Avenger, served Raven Queen. He was fairly unhappy and such. No.
13. Mon Calamari serves a crazy cult and lost all of his limbs. No.
14. A tiefling rogue. Has good friends, reasonably wealthy. Not a bad call. I don't like his personality for me, though, and he is shunned by society. No.
15. An orc fighter. In a gladiator ring. Suffers from guilt over the raid on a dwarf city he lead long ago. Kind of a tragic warrior. No.
16. An iktochi pilot who was crashed on a planet and marooned for three years during the mandalorian wars. Ended up getting off and leading a pretty epic life, but we still every great one in a while play the game. I am sure he will meet an untimely end with the crap we pull. Icksnay.
17. Rogue warlord of a nation. Wife and children were killed in a very... Russel Crowe gladiator fashion. So of course not.
18. Sold his soul to a demon at the age of 12. Had it devoured at the age of thirty after a guilt ridden life as an assassin descending into madness. I'd have to be crazy.
19. Actually me! But in the Hunger Games...
20. Actually me! But in a zombie apocolypse...
21. A Warlord! But in a zombie apocolypse...
22. An epic stone giant. Thing is, he was reeaaaallly stupid and I don't want that. Plus I assume I could only safely mate with other stone giants.
23. A malchavion anarch. No, I think my life would be far too full off automatic weapons and me getting myself blown up.
24. Those mafia vampires in WoD, I totally forget. I'd like to think I am less evil than that.
25. An unbodied thrallherd who wants to end all physical life, making it all astral life. No joy in life and waaay to megalomaniacal. Sorry.
26. A necromancer warlock. Again, too evil.
27. A kobold druid who falsely thought his druid master had betrayed him, so killed his own master? I doubt that would be enjoyable.

Basically all of them go this way and I don't care to recall anymore. I think I got most of them. I haven't found any of these that are favorable.

Arcanist
2013-01-14, 11:10 PM
Hell yes!

Only thing keeping me in check is that I play a female character (male irl).
Else, Moira the Shadow mage from 2nd edition D&D (which survived 3 edition shifts, some thousands of years in stasis, reincarnations, ya know the usual stuff :smalltongue: ) is back in action (Old Netheril) :smallbiggrin:

Hmm... How strange... My most powerful character is from Old Netheril :smallconfused: I figured not many people actually played 2ed Netheril: Empire of Magic. Good to see that I'm not actually alone :smallbiggrin: (Yes, he was updated to 3.5 and I do continue playing him when I get the chance).

valadil
2013-01-14, 11:43 PM
Hell no! My life isn't perfect but I'm mostly happy. My characters are another matter. The more attached to them I get, the more the GM tortures them. They get cut to pieces on a daily basis and their family members are threatened, kidnapped, or tortured every other week.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-15, 12:03 AM
Deal.

I'd end up as either a NE Tyr-worshiper-hating wiz5/beguiler1 working to erase a self-righteous regime of tyr asslickers, OR

An NG Pelor-worshiping Asimar Healer19 with a couatl buddy (and an expanded spell list but no access to gate spells) That one would be female, but either way...

It would be an improvement over my life now.

Actually, I think I'd prefer it if my disapearance had a negative impact on some of those I left behind. But, eh can't have everything.

EDIT: just noticed I'd be put in the shoes of my character when I started playing him/her... Well, that would make the Healer a much more attractive option. My wizard entered play as we (all the PC's) were being branded and shoved into a cell to await execution.

You know, I think I might still be willing to make the deal if I knew I'd end up as the wizard.

Icewraith
2013-01-16, 09:06 PM
Probably yes. Life's (finally) pretty sweet here, but my and my wife's characters got hitched anyways, and I end up a nigh-immortal epic level elven archmage/swordmaster with a gigantic flying tree for a fortress, complete with mythal and death star-esque cannon.

Now the interesting bit - since the character was retrained etc. as new rules came out, do I get to pick which incarnation of the character I start as? Or does it have to be the earliest incarnation?

The Glyphstone
2013-01-16, 09:17 PM
I take the deal, and between now and tomorrow morning, write up a D20 Modern character who is a thinly-veiled version of myself but a million times more awesome and successful.

Sith_Happens
2013-01-16, 10:10 PM
I take the deal, and between now and tomorrow morning, write up a D20 Modern character who is a thinly-veiled version of myself but a million times more awesome and successful.

+1 Internets.

As for me, let's see... The one character I've played more than a few sessions with just got turned into a pile a gore, so... No deal.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-16, 10:59 PM

You don't see how those two sentences contradict one another?

You get to be your favorite character all over again*

*and help me save my people from threat X.

Giegue
2013-01-16, 11:05 PM
What kind of RPGs are included here? Only PnP RPGs with stats or are freeform RPs allowed. If the latter then **** yes, I'd be a omnipotent deity with tons of worshipers AND an evil corporation that basically controls the multiverse under my command if that where the case. If the former, then still yes as I would be an epic level spellcaster who built the tippyverse and has epic spellcasting(and known for mass-dominating planes with epic spells.).

Chilingsworth
2013-01-17, 01:42 AM

I think Glyphstone wins the thread :smallbiggrin:

MukkTB
2013-01-17, 02:28 AM
D20 character for the win.

This kind of thread pops up from time to time. I don't get it. "Would you like to be an immortal being of near godlike power?" Why yes. Yes I would.

A better question might be if you'd like to be dropped out into a generic fantasy world as you are now. That puts an interesting choice forward. You could try to pick up 20 levels of wizard and become an immortal godlike being, but you'd have a bigger chance of being squashed by something unpleasant. Hi random troll. You also don't get the benefit of modern medicine, modern political freedoms, or any other modern sciences.

Meh. I'm left with the uncomfortable feeling that my life is terrible. I'm not in the best shape. I don't hold a particularly desirable job. I don't have a significant other. Getting to be someone else would surely be an improvement, even if I was just able to turn into a lvl 3 fighter with an elite array. How many of the other people in this thread are in the same boat? Or are you just here for the phenomenal cosmic power?

Chilingsworth
2013-01-17, 02:34 AM
Meh. I'm left with the uncomfortable feeling that my life is terrible. I'm not in the best shape. I don't hold a particularly desirable job. I don't have a significant other. Getting to be someone else would surely be an improvement, even if I was just able to turn into a lvl 3 fighter with an elite array. How many of the other people in this thread are in the same boat? Or are you just here for the phenomenal cosmic power?

Same boat. :smallfrown:

(Though the power would be a nice bonus.)

SowZ
2013-01-17, 02:37 AM

This kind of thread pops up from time to time. I don't get it. "Would you like to be an immortal being of near godlike power?" Why yes. Yes I would.

A better question might be if you'd like to be dropped out into a generic fantasy world as you are now. That puts an interesting choice forward. You could try to pick up 20 levels of wizard and become an immortal godlike being, but you'd have a bigger chance of being squashed by something unpleasant. Hi random troll. You also don't get the benefit of modern medicine, modern political freedoms, or any other modern sciences.

You are helping me connect the dots between this thread and erfworld. Hmm. Hadn't thought of that before.

Frozen_Feet
2013-01-17, 02:48 AM

Then he already picked the wrong guy, since most of my characters are actually villains. :smalltongue:

That's not what the question poses to those of us who don't play such characters. Like, at all. :smalltongue:

In fact, I suspect many people in this thread didn't really get the question right. Like, at all. Or playing a super-high level D&D characters is way more common than I thought. I expected way more people with their favorite character being some poor level 1 shmuck who got their arse handed to them.

Ashtagon
2013-01-17, 03:12 AM
In fact, I suspect many people in this thread didn't really get the question right. Like, at all. Or playing a super-high level D&D characters is way more common than I thought. I expected way more people with their favorite character being some poor level 1 shmuck who got their arse handed to them.

Oh, I played plenty of craptacular level 1 schmucks. They weren't my favourite characters.

Werekat
2013-01-17, 03:38 AM
Nope. Because I like my favorite characters too much to take their lives away from them. :P

sleepyphoenixx
2013-01-17, 04:38 AM

This.

Doesn't really matter if i start as my favorite character at lvl 1 or just commoner 1, even as a commoner you should have plenty of options with a modern education. You could be eaten by trolls at arrival of course, but there's no reward without risk :smalltongue:
Besides, i'd expect said wizard to drop me off somewhere reasonably safe and populated, teleporting people to other worlds just to feed trolls seems kind of a waste of effort

The LOBster
2013-01-17, 05:19 AM
On one hand, it'd be kind of weird to wake up one morning as a female Shifter Rogue. On the other hand, Kaya's one of the most fun characters I've crafted, so... Hm.

Frozen_Feet
2013-01-17, 06:26 AM
This.
...even as a commoner you should have plenty of options with a modern education.

You're failing to consider just how much of such education would be plain inapplicable in a non-modern setting.

Linguistic studies? Chances are the linguistic environment is entirely different, meaning you'll have to start from scratch.

Chemistry? Without modern logistics and infrastructure to back you up, it is pretty hard to get many of the ingredients you'd want. Could you seriously, say, produce pure acids by yourself?

Modern technology? Frankly, do you have enough technical skill to built a car, or any electronic device, from scratch, without any modern equipment or infrastructure available?

Professional ability? How much of your knowledge stands in absence of modern labor laws, unions, standards and (in many cases) equipment?

Now, math and basic physics (mainly mechanics) will be useful, but chances are, you will be lacking many fundamental skills (such as herding cattle or hunting with non-modern weapons) and have to rely on your class to provide them.

As a level 1 commoner, you better have expectional stats, because the class itself doesn't have that much to offer. :smalltongue:

sleepyphoenixx
2013-01-17, 06:41 AM
You're failing to consider just how much of such education would be plain inapplicable in a non-modern setting.

As a level 1 commoner, you better have expectional stats, because the class itself doesn't have that much to offer. :smalltongue:

To be fair, even math and basic physics knowledge probably qualifies you as an expert in a medieval society. Knowledge of basic chemistry can be useful even if you don't have the means to use it yourself as long as you can get to a decent sized city.
On the other hand, who wants to go to another world to be a accountant or something like that when you can be a spellcaster? :smallsmile:

Hubert
2013-01-17, 07:12 AM
To be fair, even math and basic physics knowledge probably qualifies you as an expert in a medieval society. Knowledge of basic chemistry can be useful even if you don't have the means to use it yourself as long as you can get to a decent sized city.
On the other hand, who wants to go to another world to be a accountant or something like that when you can be a spellcaster? :smallsmile:

Even if you know chemistry, this knowledge could be difficult to apply. I mean, knowing how to combine hydrocarbons is of little help when you need to deal with "this black powder that you gather in this cavern", and "this substance you get from the distillation of these plants".

Concerning the OP, my answer would be no. While it could be cool to have magical powers and big swords, I have too much things I like in this world. Besides, I think many people here underestimates the risks of such endeavour. Even if you end up as a level 20+ wizzard with cosmic powers, chances are good that other such wizards, liches, deities, extra-dimensional entities etc... of your world will want to challenge you. Ending up as a paranoid wizard that has to endlessly plan layers over layers of contingencies and traps? No thanks. :smalltongue:

Chilingsworth
2013-01-17, 07:14 AM

This. :smallbiggrin:

Character Limit.

Vizzerdrix
2013-01-17, 08:04 AM
A better question might be if you'd like to be dropped out into a generic fantasy world as you are now.

Yup. Just so long as it isn't in the middle of a city I'll be fine.

randomhero00
2013-01-17, 08:16 AM
Alternate option: shoot the wizard with a gun and take all his stuff. Earn billions from all the patents and keep the best stuff for myself :smallbiggrin:

Theoboldi
2013-01-17, 08:27 AM
Alternate option: shoot the wizard with a gun and take all his stuff. Earn billions from all the patents and keep the best stuff for myself :smallbiggrin:

Thus were the last words of the poor fool who tried to shoot an epic level wizard.

May his unfortunate soul rest in peace.

Anecronwashere
2013-01-17, 08:32 AM
Yup. Just so long as it isn't in the middle of a city I'll be fine.

Same, but replace middle of the city with "anywhere above but no more than 5' higher than a stable solid object capable of supporting my weight"
Because really, Wizards are d***s

I'd take it. Then laugh uncontrollably as I become an Immortal shapeshifter capable of assuming any form and controlling the 4 elements better than any Avatar from Avatar the last Airbender who has already spent countless trillions of years searching for his sister stranded in a mirror universe
Though the ability to become female would probably be avoided if possible. I dont swing that way

EDIT:

Thus were the last words of the poor fool who tried to shoot an epic level wizard.

May his unfortunate soul rest in Pieces.

Fixed that for you

randomhero00
2013-01-17, 08:36 AM
Hah, no one said he was epic. And I'm assuming physics still work normally since he's here on earth.

Theoboldi
2013-01-17, 08:39 AM
Hah, no one said he was epic. And I'm assuming physics still work normally since he's here on earth.

If physics still funtion normally, that would probably mean all the magical trinkets he carries around would be completly worthless. And now you've got blood on your hands. Murderer. :smalltongue:

Blarmb
2013-01-17, 09:31 AM
I'd take the deal. Then before the change takes place the next day I'd do the following.

I'd write down the following on a piece of paper:

Blarmb's Really Cool RPG - Core Rules

Rule 1: If you create a character for this RPG it must be your favorite character in an RPG ever.
Rule 2: The character you create for this RPG is your favorite character.

Character Generation: Write your character Down below, it is your character

Your Character:

Blarmb. He is a really cool guy who is exactly like Blarmb is in real life except he has these powers:

*Immortal
*Invulnerable
*Doesn't age.

*Can travel between any point in space/time to any other, across alternate timelines & universes, into and out of fictional worlds and across any and all possible or impossible types and levels of existence and existence-like states sufficient for these powers to function, both conceivable and inconceivable across an infinite number of dimensions and things that play an analogous role to dimensions. He can do so at-will and reflexively or passively whenever conditions are such that he would ordinarily want to so, even if unable to will it for any reason or non-reason.

*Can manipulate all of reality at will including his own mind, without limits. He remains in existence in a capacity that can both use these powers and his original personality would find meaningful regardless of any changes to the flow of time, laws of physics or other properties, non-properties or property-like things of reality or non-reality.

*He can choose to forget he has any of the above powers, either for a set period of time or until such a time that his original personality might wish to change or object to the circumstances he is in.

*None of his powers may ever change in a way that limits or changes his powers in a way that violates the spirit of what his original personality intended when creating them.

*He has a cool hat. The hat is indestructible.

*He has a pet monkey. The monkey can talk.

Morcleon
2013-01-17, 10:04 AM
Hmm... yes. Nigh-invincible vampire lord with a magitech empire and essentially any and all non-deific powers at his fingertips? Why the hell not? :smallbiggrin:

He could probably find a way back to earth anyway. With enough mitigation, epic spellcasting solves everything. :smallbiggrin:

randomhero00
2013-01-17, 10:11 AM
If physics still funtion normally, that would probably mean all the magical trinkets he carries around would be completly worthless. And now you've got blood on your hands. Murderer. :smalltongue:

I err, uh, roll to plant evidence.

Look, he had crack! And a gun!

Joe the Rat
2013-01-17, 01:17 PM
Downside, I'd be a kobold.
Upside, this was back when they had ears, and TWOTC* hadn't latched their collective lips to the south end of a northbound dragon.
Downside, backstory lifted from Hamlet, with a dash of Batman.
Upside, I'd get to be Crazy Awesome, Screw over Elves, and Eat Bacon.

yeahhhh-no. Gotta watch my daughter grow up. And I enjoy being a mammal.

*The Writers Of This Crap

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-01-17, 03:13 PM
Hmm...I'd probably end up as Emmett in Shadowrun, and his life was pretty similar to mine up until now, save for him being more into psychology... He was a mage, but my approach to magic would be about the same as what we came up with for him. I'm in a line of work conducive to making real life more like that setting. If magic turns out to be real, as the presence a wizard would suggest, I might already be 60% there.

This wizard looks more like the fairy tale type, though - the kind that gives you a deal like this to teach you a lesson about life when it backfires. What's her angle? That I would miss my family and friends? That seems like it'd go without saying.

Wait, the game started in 2070... I forget when the awakening was, but I don't think it would have been before 2015 or something...

Ha! Nice try, but no way am I switching places with my own grandson!

Wizard: ?

He can live his own life just fine, thank you very much!

Wizard: ??

Felyndiira
2013-01-17, 05:06 PM
My answer would probably be "no." Favored or not, being a cleric to Lolth is very much a deal-breaker right there. My other D&D characters follow suit - most of them are interesting character explorations for me, but in no way would I ever want to step in their shoes.

If I could choose what my 'favorite' character is rather than it having to be my actual favorite, though, I do have a few nWoD characters that I would not exactly mind turning into. I certainly would have no problems with being a (good looking) Tamer of Rivers studying to become a surgeon in Cornell U.

Icewraith
2013-01-17, 08:06 PM
Blarmb, why would you specify Immortal AND Doesn't Age?

SowZ
2013-01-17, 08:09 PM

Maybe he means immortal in the traditional sense of cannot die?

Chilingsworth
2013-01-17, 09:03 PM

Maybe so this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithonus) doesn't happen to him?:smalltongue:

According to the Homeric Hymn to Aphrodite, when Eos asked Zeus to make Tithonus immortal, she forgot to ask for eternal youth. Tithonus indeed lived forever
"but when loathsome old age pressed full upon him, and he could not move nor lift his limbs, this seemed to her in her heart the best counsel: she laid him in a room and put to the shining doors. There he babbles endlessly, and no more has strength at all, such as once he had in his supple limbs."

In later tellings he eventually turned into a cicada, eternally living, but begging for death to overcome him.

Acanous
2013-01-17, 09:11 PM
Well.

On the one hand, my favorite character was the embodiment of freedom, self actualization, and nobility. Dude made deals with dragons, had a very loyal army, and was *Devine Rank 0*
(And he EARNED it, thank you very much!)
On the other hand, his sexuality and mine are quite different, and I have no idea what sort of shennanigans that would cause.

I'd probably have to clear that up with the wizard beforehand. (Do I keep my personality, or do I *Become* him? Also, is the world being altered from whole cloth, or is my mind going and *Posessing* someone else in another reality?)

The answer to that question would also determine how a lot of other, more minor differences are resolved, and would thusly determine my answer.

Crazyfailure13
2013-01-18, 08:57 AM
I'd be a level 20 fighter, king of an aggressively expanding empire, with all the money, magic, and resources of the kingdom at his fingertips, not to mention he became Immortal at level 17.

So yeah, I'd become a immortal unkillable tyrant/dictator.

Avilan the Grey
2013-01-18, 09:17 AM
Negatory, definitely.

Besides, it would be weard becoming a woman.

SowZ
2013-01-18, 01:39 PM
Negatory, definitely.

Besides, it would be weard becoming a woman.

Your first character was a female, ancient German guardsman?

Avilan the Grey
2013-01-18, 04:52 PM
Your first character was a female, ancient German guardsman?

No... all my favorite characters, in all games I have played with the exception of Avilan The Grey, have been female.

...As for the curious... I think I would have go computer game for this topic... Morgan Shepard. Redheaded sniper with a great behind and an even greater attitude. And freckles.

But as I said, no: I enjoy my IRL friends and family way too much.

GnomeGninjas
2013-01-18, 04:54 PM
No deal, I'd be a level 1 AD&D 2e gnome fighter about to be attacked by skeletons.

AgentofHellfire
2013-01-18, 06:23 PM
Since pretty much the entirety of my favorite character's abilities were actually the result of his own skill, I basically would just get a slightly more bishounen-y appearance.

...I mean, if I got his super-martial arts training/super swordfighting training (depending on whether or not it has to be strictly the way his stats were when I played him, or if I could use what his stats would've been had I thought it over more), that might be a perk, but then I'd also be the slave of a corrupt and sort of evil government, so...

Oh, screw it, his life would be more interesting than mine. By far. XD

AgentofHellfire
2013-01-18, 06:33 PM
even if I was just able to turn into a lvl 3 fighter with an elite array. How many of the other people in this thread are in the same boat? Or are you just here for the phenomenal cosmic power?

As long as I get to keep my current Int, Wis, and Cha, I could definitely see the merits of the adventurer's life.

And plus, my favorite character was nowhere near "phenomenal cosmic power", actually. Significantly more powerful than most people (he was 10th level by the game's beginning), but not capable of slinging fireballs around every turn or anything like that.

Jacob.Tyr
2013-01-18, 09:08 PM
Just... just gonna leave this here...
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/index.shtml

Granted, if I were given the option to live a second life as pretty much any character there is no way in hell I'd pass up the opportunity. Hell, give me a LG halfling paladin and I'd jump on this in a heartbeat.

But seriously this is like some sort of crazy LSD induced suicide pact scenario, and is probably only offered to you while under the influence by someone like Charles Manson.

OverdrivePrime
2013-01-19, 07:50 PM
Although it'd be incredible to be a phoenix-clan immortal (http://www.invisiblewar.com/whatis.html) and have all the goodness that goes with it, that'd also mean that I'd start as myself living in Chicago in April of 1996, still blindly in love with the girl I was dating then. And no amount of power and awesome is worth enduring 1996-1998 ever again. :smallsigh:

Crazy girlfriend aside... man, that character was just incredibly fun. Great game system, wonderful powers, phenomenal campaign.

Hm... maybe the wizard would be willing to just give me my sword, and my healing ability from that game. That'd be enough. :smallsmile:

Eldest
2013-01-20, 03:24 AM
I'd do it... if I was able to Plane Shift back when I could cast the spell, and I could tell my family and friends before I left. I'd end up a Factotum//Psion with some extra stuff, eventually becoming a deity (of Love and Philosophy, of all things).

And for the person who dropped off the mental health link, why'd you do that? What do you think roleplaying is in the first place? It's decided what you would do if you were another person: an advanced form of playing pretend. This particular version is a what-if game, designed to make you think.

Need_A_Life
2013-01-20, 08:43 AM
So... I'm a god - one of many, admittedly - who can reshape a society completely within a few minutes, immortal and friends with dozens of other deities?
Deal.
(Homebrew campaign)

Or maybe I'm a Tremere vampire (immortality + a lot of magical power), who is in the middle of laying battle plans at the house of one of my few surviving allies, when it is discovered that the deceased Prince had merely faked his own death?
(oWoD tabletop)
Deal.

Or maybe I'm a Malkavian visiting the city that until recently was torn apart by war? Mistaken for an old Malkavian leader for ~1 year, while also recognized as part of a new power structure and playing more sides than most people knew existed?
(oWod Live)
Deal.

Or I might be a 9th level Archivist teleported naked (but with his spellbook) into the biggest dungeon FR has to offer?
Deal.

Or maybe I am a 20-something in an alternate history setting, recently returned to England to take over the family business just as the industrial revolution was occurring?
Ehm... not sure it's worth it.

NichG
2013-01-20, 01:12 PM
Beyond the joyriding aspect, there are some tricky philosophical issues here. Namely, if I overwrite the character, then its basically me in a chassis with powers but not the psychology to deal with what is to come. I wouldn't have the mindset to, e.g., throw myself into a situation where I am nearly beaten to death every day. And without that, Bad Things Happen in the setting. But okay, lets say I get the psychology with the powers - how much of 'me' survives and how much of 'him' survives the merger? And if its all me, then I've simultaneously discovered that my favorite character is real and then basically killed him in one fell swoop. If its all him, then basically the wizard is saying 'hey, how would you like to commit suicide and extinguish yourself?'

So I'd probably counter with 'can I be a character in the same setting that I hated instead?', going for the overwrite. Knowing what I know and in that chassis it'd work out pretty well, especially since 'beginning of campaign' was specified.

Dorsidwarf
2013-01-20, 01:48 PM
Hint: Select a Kobold. Become Pun-Pun

The Glyphstone
2013-01-20, 01:53 PM
Hint: Select a Kobold. Become Pun-Pun

That only works if you've actually played Pun-Pun in a game before, by the terms of the OP.

Bacon Elemental
2013-01-20, 03:29 PM
You mean you never have?

The trick is to ascend slowly. If possible, don't play a Kobold, to throw off suspicion. Don't go for ultimate power, just keep yourself at the power level needed.

Or if the DM is really bad, and you all dislike the campaign, just let the rest of the party ascend too and ignite the campaign with a single blast.

The Glyphstone
2013-01-20, 03:33 PM
You mean you never have?

The trick is to ascend slowly. If possible, don't play a Kobold, to throw off suspicion. Don't go for ultimate power, just keep yourself at the power level needed.

Or if the DM is really bad, and you all dislike the campaign, just let the rest of the party ascend too and ignite the campaign with a single blast.

No, because I have self-respect.:smallsmile:

TO builds should never be used in any game, no matter how horrid...generally the worse the campaign, the more likely fiat will shut it down anyways, so all it does is make the attempted user look bad.

Analytica
2013-01-20, 04:21 PM
Let us say that my bonds to people in this world, past, present or future, were not an issue...

... then yes, absolutely. Assuming I will _be_ them, personality and all.

Quite possibly Choreille of Akharzan, the necromancer that my ponytar depicts. She is the daughter of Sermal, the Stereotypical Necromancer BBEG and heir to a wicked desert city-state of death cultists. She is also a chaotic evil sociopath who devours souls for fun and enslaves living and dead alike, and who needs tailor-made narcotics mixes in order to actually feel real emotions. So why then, despite all this?

Because she is exactly who she wants to be, and will never doubt her capacity or right to do anything she wants to do. She also actually is almost as powerful as she believes, with an eternity as a necromancer or decadent lich ahead of her. Those feelings of safety call to me.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-20, 05:00 PM
Problem: You won't be separate from your character no more.

Sure whilst in your comfy room with pizza you can have a cool head, and think your actions through. But if your character suddenly had his thoughts replaced with yours, then he would be out of place immediately.

Or you have to live through life acting as a character you really aren't.

Or Both your minds co-exist which is the path to madness.

Or your mind is deleted to make space for the character. Which just kills you.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-20, 06:12 PM
Problem: You won't be separate from your character no more.

Sure whilst in your comfy room with pizza you can have a cool head, and think your actions through. But if your character suddenly had his thoughts replaced with yours, then he would be out of place immediately.

Or you have to live through life acting as a character you really aren't.

Or Both your minds co-exist which is the path to madness.

Or your mind is deleted to make space for the character. Which just kills you.

Or, your character absorbs you (or vice-versa) which results in a gestalt (not the alternate leveling system) having the full knowledge and memories of both. Depending on just what you know, it could be a significant power boost to the character. Though yeah, the risk of madness would also be pretty high. Still, since when was a little thing like madness a significant downside for adventurers?

Kaerou
2013-01-20, 07:39 PM
Deal. The caveat states my loved ones would still be happy enough and safe which is all I ask for.

And I would end up as an epic 38th level Kobold druid/shifter (3.0 class)

The only risk being that I would start off in Skullport. However I think a 38th level character would be able to handle getting out of there, even past the initial confusion over abilities and WTF has happened.

Arcran
2013-01-21, 02:26 AM
You mean I could ditch everything and go be a Pokemon Trainer?

Is this even a question? Yes, obviously.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-21, 05:36 PM
Or, your character absorbs you (or vice-versa) which results in a gestalt (not the alternate leveling system) having the full knowledge and memories of both. Depending on just what you know, it could be a significant power boost to the character. Though yeah, the risk of madness would also be pretty high. Still, since when was a little thing like madness a significant downside for adventurers?

So one half of you would horribly miss the life you left behind, and hate how the realms you dreamed off now have become boring and mundane.

So In sririos I would not want to become somebody else.

Golden Ladybug
2013-01-22, 11:38 AM
Hmm...I'm going to go through the thought process here, but I'm not going to lie to you all; as soon as this Wizard offered me this deal, not only had I signed up, but I hadn't even contemplated what my Favourite Character was.

(Spoilered most of it due to the length of my rambling.)

I'm almost completely sure that it wouldn't be Daniel, the Half-Elf Ranger who was the first PC of my PnP career. He failed at every task, had vast chunks of his life skip by with little interaction from him, and we all agreed that he went on, trying endlessly to be a good person and save the world. And died a lot. Like, at least once per adventure. Dude was unlucky.

So, thinking of all the other memorable characters I've played, that probably leaves Harriet Etheredge, Annalyn Ensthor and Sky.

Harriet is a PI who lives in the World of Darkness, which is immediately a point against her, and she's also pushing 60. She has anger issues, and a bitter hatred of the supernatural from all that's she has lost to it. No family, few friends and a long-suffering, katana-wielding partner who is in his early 20s and lacks any motivation. She has connections to some of the more potent mortal organisations, and is a competent investigator and a crack shot with her revolver (which she fondly calls "Lucky"). She is stubborn, and never gives up, no matter the odds or the danger. Nothing short of death's embrace will make her stop standing up in defence of humanity.

She also drives the Batmobile, which is just shy of being indestructible enough to alter the fabric of time and space.

She's cool as all get-out, but I wouldn't call her my favourite (lucky for me, as I wouldn't want to step into her shoes. She isn't a very happy character)

Next, for consideration, is Annalyn Ensthor. A low-level Human Wizard, she's not quite the holder of unlimited cosmic power yet. She has immense trust issues, and few friends (no real family to speak of either. She lost her father to disease, and her sister to adoption). She is sickly and frail, with a major guilt complex about anyone she considers herself to have failed, which keeps her up at night, to the point where it has given her severe insomnia. She is terrified that someone will take away her magic; the one thing that she thinks makes her special. She is very intelligent, with a razor sharp tongue and an indomitable attitude. She is very creative and with enough power to exploit that.

She happened to fall directly into the Zombie Apocalypse, and in this unlikely scenario, found a group of friends whom she learnt to trust and rely upon. Together, they battled for survival and almost succeeded. Annalyn, however, was one of the casualties along the way, after flubbing two will saves against a Cleric of Orcus's Channel ability.

She was also one of the most enjoyable characters to play. She was in an absolutely terrible position for most of the time I played her, but it was fun. She's pretty damn close to being my favourite character, but she gets edged out by this last one

So, after thinking about it, it becomes pretty clear that this is my favourite character; Sky is a Changeling Rogue/Unarmed Swordsage. Who lives in Eberron.

I'd just like for you to process that for a second; I can either be myself, in my mundane, rather boring and altogether prospectless existence, or I can be a Shapeshifting martial artist with a silver tongue. Who has the most colourful past of any character I've ever played.

In Eberron.

Not to mention, her first on-screen adventure involved winning large sums of money by cheating at cards, fighting off an attempted terrorist attack onboard a gigantic Airship, defeating a burly Hobgoblin and his cronies and leading all the other PCs on a wild chase across the ship after they realised they should really take her in for questioning (...she accidentally started a big fight which escalated into a huge battle aboard the ship, resulting in the deaths of several prominent nobles). She would've totally gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for the party's Cleric* being ridiculously clever. Or if teleportation could redirect momentum...

Sky was one of the most fun and quirky characters I've ever played, and I'm guessing I'd get an all-round buff to my mental stats. She's a shapeshifter with a sense of fun, and I enjoyed being her for the brief time I got to play her. I'd totally be up for being her full time.

Also, she lives in Eberron :smallbiggrin:

*played by JeminiZero, so I should've expected it. He's a crafty one.

killer_monk
2013-01-22, 12:21 PM
I'd either be
a) a 21st level dragonborn fighter who was literally the richest character i have ever played or will ever play. he had everything he could possibly want and knew a wizard who bestowed immortality for giggles.

b) i'd be a 10 level human death knight named sylventus. he was a pretty cool dude, but i'm not sure i'd want to be any type of lawful. especially neutral. or dead.

c) i'd be a half-demon Demon Slayer who was boss like no other and started with super high stats as well as being practically untouchable for the first couple levels. downside is that half-demon demon slayers are ungodly cliche and that i'm a half demon. guess if i got to use my 'brewed stats and equipment i'd totally take the deal.

finally, i have to say that it'd be fun. but if i knew everything that was going to happen then i'd know where to be, when to be there, who to trust and who to kill. i'd know why things happen and i'd know how to stop them. the knowledge alone is invaluable.

as for where i started my first campaign? i'd be running away from a party of 75 orcs in the forest at 1st level with minimum equipment.:smallfrown:

AgentofHellfire
2013-01-22, 01:07 PM
So, after thinking about it, it becomes pretty clear that this is my favourite character; Sky is a Changeling Rogue/Unarmed Swordsage. Who lives in Eberron.

I'd just like for you to process that for a second; I can either be myself, in my mundane, rather boring and altogether prospectless existence, or I can be a Shapeshifting martial artist with a silver tongue. Who has the most colourful past of any character I've ever played.

In Eberron.

Not to mention, her first on-screen adventure involved winning large sums of money by cheating at cards, fighting off an attempted terrorist attack onboard a gigantic Airship, defeating a burly Hobgoblin and his cronies and leading all the other PCs on a wild chase across the ship after they realised they should really take her in for questioning (...she accidentally started a big fight which escalated into a huge battle aboard the ship, resulting in the deaths of several prominent nobles). She would've totally gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for the party's Cleric* being ridiculously clever. Or if teleportation could redirect momentum...

Sky was one of the most fun and quirky characters I've ever played, and I'm guessing I'd get an all-round buff to my mental stats. She's a shapeshifter with a sense of fun, and I enjoyed being her for the brief time I got to play her. I'd totally be up for being her full time.

Also, she lives in Eberron :smallbiggrin:

This sounds almost like my favorite, who's a bitter loner rogue/monk with an obscene ability to disguise himself and lie through his teeth. Hell, before the event that caused all that bitterness he'd be practically exactly the same. XD

Which means we totally ought to meet once we transform. XD

ArlEammon
2013-01-22, 01:12 PM
So I"m basically the Bhaal Spawn. My faith in real life is too important for me to give up, unless I get to drink with God as the Bhaalspawn god of good.

Hyena
2013-01-22, 01:15 PM
Does it mean I will be forced into railroaded campaign I usually play?
Then no.

Does it mean I will have to live my character's live and cope with his/her problems?
No.

Does it mean I will have their awesome powers and absolutely no responsibility, because I am not lawful good?
Yes.

INDYSTAR188
2013-01-22, 02:46 PM
No. Definitely not! I couldn't imagine leaving my daughter, wife, and dog behind to be a smart-mouthed dwarven fighter. All-in-all my life is really comfortable, full of laughter and love, and I have all the advantages that a middle-class hard-working American is privileged to. Also, I am rarely in any kind of mortal danger here and that would not be the case in this scenario. Also, like someone else already said, I can play any character I want now.

Deathkeeper
2013-01-22, 06:28 PM
No, because my favorite character ever was my first character's pseudodragon, who didn't exist at the start of the campaign, and therefore being there would create a time paradox.

If I could downgrade to second favorite? Super explosive magic powers, destined to be archmage, and best sidekick ever once I get level 7? Done, just for that last one.

Tychris1
2013-01-22, 09:52 PM
Become my favorite character? So, I get to become a menacing elite Black Skaven? A vicious warrior who leads a life of intrigue, backstabbing, flattery, and politicing mixed with rabid animalism? I'm already going through high school so it won't be too much of a change :smalltongue: But at the very least Id get to become the leader of a roaming band of elite armored vermin who wields a pistol powered by pure chaotic energy that can be turned into the warhammer equivelant of cocaine (Of which my character is addicted to). Not to mention that my friends in the same campaign are very unimaginative and so their characters are literal carbon copies of themselves. Basically, get to be an awesome rat and keep my two closest friends? Deal.

The Bandicoot
2013-01-23, 04:05 PM
Well lets see.... Flarg, a halfling in a 3.5 world. Started out as a barbarian and next in line to become head chieftain(6levels of barbarian). Then he left to become a traveling bard. That's how he spent most of his mortal life, picking up 14 levels of bard and a wicked leadership scoreBy then he had saved the world more than once. Because of that he was granted a divine rank of 0. He became a recurring character. Didn't matter what world or what time he'd walk out of the shadows(Shadow Walk spell yay) whistling a tune decked out in a monocle and bowler hat with a couple blink dogs on leashes.

I would take that bet quicker than you could say "wut"

Erik Vale
2013-01-23, 04:45 PM
I just wonder how many people would say yes thinking it was a joke?

Salbazier
2013-01-23, 06:20 PM
2 possibility, 3 potential problems.

Possibility a low level mundane doctor or a medium level Archivist with focus on healing.

Yes, I like being a healbot. Not so cool in combat but RP-wise is fun, especially in appropriate campaign or setting.

Potential problems:

-I do love my life, even if I complain every now then. I would be missing my family even if they are not (and that is both better and worse and the same time). Not to mention all of the modern amenities, like computer, toilet, my favorite films and novels ect.

- Example of setting/campaign that would be nice for a playing healer archetype: in the middle of a plague disaster. Not exactly the most attractive place in a fantasy world.

-Religious issue. My character follow Sovereign Host and I'm mildly religious myself IRL. Not sure how I would take things. And if I end up losing my power as an archivist... well, what's the point then?

So, no deal I guess. Maybe If I'm younger I would say yes.

ko_sct
2013-01-26, 01:14 AM
My favorite character you say ?

Well, on the plus side, it's set in modern-day new-york, so I wouldn't be so far away from my family.

He also reached immortality, which is pretty damn nice !

On the down side, he sacrificed his mind completely to become immortal....

Soo.... pretty cool dude who's an immortal vegetable ?

No, no. I dont think so, I wouldn't accept...

Rogue Shadows
2013-01-26, 01:28 AM

Deal or no deal?

Hmm...gender swap would occur...but I get to be a 27-year-old drow, thereby extending my maximum life by a factor of at least five...plus I get to be in-shape and a master thief...and I'm Chaotic Good, so I know I could live with myself...

...yeah, I'd totally do it.

TypoNinja
2013-01-26, 03:57 AM
Deal, the only problem is what character to choose.

I suppose I'd narrow it down to;

Fighter/Arcane Archer/DWS
Weretiger Monk/Warshaper/Tatooed monk
Fang Dragon (Living on Athas)
Early Entry Mystic Thurge
Half-Celestial Monk turned Deity.

Clearly the Deity is the most powerful, but I'm not convinced he'd be the most fun.

Reathin
2013-01-26, 07:11 AM
So I wake up as a Green Sun Prince? With cosmic-scale magic, easy access to immortality and the ability to refine myself into a being of nigh-omnipotent power and glory, while leaving behind the weaknesses of those who have already achieved that state? Not to mention the miriad of little details that come with it.

Sign me up!

Clistenes
2013-01-26, 11:02 AM
You would become a 1st-level character, or a retired epic level character? Because there would be big difference there.

The epic character would be immortal, have a load of power, be the richest bastard in the world and too scary to be attacked anymore.

The 1st level character could be killed by a few goblins if he takes a wrong step.

Hyena
2013-01-26, 11:08 AM
Oh, and one more thing. If my character will be chosen randomly, no deal. Don't want to appear in any dystopia there is in the multiverse.

TypoNinja
2013-01-26, 05:02 PM
Oh, and one more thing. If my character will be chosen randomly, no deal. Don't want to appear in any dystopia there is in the multiverse.

Yea I've played a few WoD games, forgot being stuck in that setting. Shadowrun is no picnic either.