PDA

View Full Version : All the different damage types

Deepbluediver
2013-01-13, 09:34 PM
I could use a list of all the different ways to do damage in D&D, and I'd love some one to check this over and let me know if I've missed anything.

Physical Damage
-slashing (subcategory)
-piercing (subcategory)
-bludgeoning (subcategory)
--non-lethal (sub-subcategory)
Fire
Cold
Electric
Acid
Sonic
Force
Negative Energy
Positive Energy

Edit: I can now add
-Holy (subcategory)
-Unholy (subcategory)
Divine
Vile
Dessication
Scalding
Falling
Radiant
Frostburn
& City (???:smallconfused:???)

Morcleon
2013-01-13, 10:21 PM
I could use a list of all the different ways to do damage in D&D, and I'd love some one to check this over and let me know if I've missed anything.

Physical Damage
-slashing (subcategory)
-piercing (subcategory)
-bludgeoning (subcategory)
--non-lethal (sub-subcategory)
Fire
Cold
Electric
Acid
Sonic
Force
Negative Energy
Positive Energy

I'm certain I'm missing something. For example, does psionic have it's own signature energy type?

There's also divine, vile, dessication, falling, scalding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#heatDangers) and untyped.

Psionics does not have it's own damage type. Some things like the soulknife's psychic strike are untyped damage w/ caveats.

Amidus Drexel
2013-01-13, 10:32 PM
Non-lethal damage isn't exclusive to physical damage; the Nonlethal Substitution (I think that's what it's called) feat lets you cast spells that do non-lethal damage. I'm pretty sure you can make spells non-lethal without it, but there's some kind of penalty.

Slipperychicken
2013-01-13, 10:33 PM
City damage, from the City Magic feat in Cityscape.

Arcanist
2013-01-13, 10:33 PM
I recall hearing about Crystal damage somewhere.

Deepbluediver
2013-01-13, 10:37 PM
There's also divine, vile, dessication, falling, scalding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#heatDangers) and untyped.

Psionics does not have it's own damage type. Some things like the soulknife's psychic strike are untyped damage w/ caveats.

Thanks!

I assume the first two are from BoED and BoVD? And does "divine" also imply "good" or does it just mean deific?

City damage, from the City Magic feat in Cityscape.

Now this just confuses me. :smallconfused:

I recall hearing about Crystal damage somewhere.

That sounds odd, can you site a source?

NichG
2013-01-13, 10:38 PM
There's also frostburn damage, as well as 'untyped magical damage'.

Urpriest
2013-01-13, 10:44 PM
Thanks!

I assume the first two are from BoED and BoVD? And does "divine" also imply "good" or does it just mean diefic?

Divine is the part of Flame Strike that isn't fire. It's just generically deific.

Morcleon
2013-01-13, 10:44 PM
Thanks!

I assume the first two are from BoED and BoVD? And does "divine" also imply "good" or does it just mean diefic?

I believe it means good, but it's also used in things like flame strike, which is alignment-less.

There's also radiant damage. :smallsmile:

City damage is effectively untyped.

Deepbluediver
2013-01-13, 10:47 PM
Divine is the part of Flame Strike that isn't fire. It's just generically deific.

I believe it means good, but it's also used in things like flame strike, which is alignment-less.

Ok, got it.

There's also radiant damage. :smallsmile:

So again, is this just "light" damage, or does it have the "good" modifier?

Also, is "Crushing" a damage type or am I just imagining it?

Morcleon
2013-01-13, 10:48 PM
So again, is this just "light" damage, or does it have the "good" modifier?

Just light. Things like sunburst and the prismatic dragon's breath weapon.

Amidus Drexel
2013-01-13, 10:49 PM
Also, is "Crushing" a damage type or am I just imagining it?

I'm pretty sure that's just bludgeoning damage.

Deepbluediver
2013-01-13, 10:50 PM
In another thread I have running some one mentioned there was "Holy" and "Unholy" in the DMG. Is this accurate or are they just overlaps with the Divine/Vile listed above?

Morcleon
2013-01-13, 10:53 PM
And in another thread I have running some one mentioned there was "Holy" and "Unholy" in the DMG. Is this accurate or are they just overlaps with the Divine/Vile listed above?

Holy and unholy (from DMG only) is just untyped damage that only affects a certain alignment spectrum.

Deepbluediver
2013-01-14, 11:59 AM
If no one has anything else to add, than I just want to say to everyone "thanks for all your help!"

AsteriskAmp
2013-01-14, 12:07 PM
Now this just confuses me. :smallconfused:Mechanically: It's the result of a Metamagic Feat from Cityscape
Fluff: It's the essence of the city, the pollution, the aura that emanates from the surrounding, anything laying around and any sort of energy floating in the air.

Deepbluediver
2013-01-14, 12:35 PM
Mechanically: It's the result of a Metamagic Feat from Cityscape
Fluff: It's the essence of the city, the pollution, the aura that emanates from the surrounding, anything laying around and any sort of energy floating in the air.

That makes sense, I guess, but it has much more of a MtG feel than D&D.

In fact, I thought I remember reading something that way back in the early days of magic they considered adding a 6th land type- purple city energy (or something).